Jazz aficionados Which instrument most exudes the sound of jazz
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which instrument is best suited to produce a jazz sound
SAXOPHONE
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
TRUMPET
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
PIANO
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
GUITAR
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
FLUTE
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
TROMBONE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ORGAN
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OTHER
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

Author Message
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Jazz aficionados Which instrument most exudes the sound of jazz

Listening to Pandora plus, (MY STATIONS). I'm plugged into JAZZ. That genre features a plethora of jazz artist and instruments. I'm a Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, Ahmad Jamal, Dizzy Gillespie, to name a few, fan. I asked myself, which instrument best produces a jazz sound. I think the alto sax. Kinda torn because of Miles and Clifford but settled on the sax because of Yard Bird.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93702
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I play the bass/piano. So naturally I gravitate towards these.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3779
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Sax. Piano can be dominant and beautiful in any genre, but nothing intoxicates you like jazz interpreted through the sax.

stumbled across this guy playing down in the astor place station about 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW5ekC1JFBA

I was never able to "get" jazz before hearing him.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018


Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I play the bass/piano. So naturally I gravitate towards these.

Love the bass. Oscar Pettiford, Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke to name a few. Bass and drums are unique. I marvel how they foundation the rhythm without intrusion. I took drum lessons because of Gene Krupa.

KBCB would probably agree with the instrument not the artist. He'd go with Clifford Brown.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.


Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 7884
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Trumpet baby. Those Miles lines are always engraved in my memory bank.

Drums always seem to resonate too, the intricate and dynamic nature of jazz music can really bring out the melody in the rhythmic section.
_________________
Formerly known as The Grind
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41226
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Tough call for me. It's never really the instrument that actually exudes the jazz sound, but the person behind it. While the heart of great jazz is really in the rhythm section, the soul can be found anywhere. The sax definitely has that sexy sound that can be so seductive, and even more so in the right hands. But again, great jazz is only channeled through the instrument and by the person playing it.

So to me, if we are going to discuss what instrument most epitomizes the jazz sound, historically it's the trumpet simply because across the arc of genres within the genre and going back to the roots, the trumpet has been the more prominent instrument at the center of it all.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Tough call for me. It's never really the instrument that actually exudes the jazz sound, but the person behind it. While the heart of great jazz is really in the rhythm section, the soul can be found anywhere. The sax definitely has that sexy sound that can be so seductive, and even more so in the right hands. But again, great jazz is only channeled through the instrument and by the person playing it.

So to me, if we are going to discuss what instrument most epitomizes the jazz sound, historically it's the trumpet simply because across the arc of genres within the genre and going back to the roots, the trumpet has been the more prominent instrument at the center of it all.

Good point about the person playing the instrument. Sahib Shihab is so different than Charley Parker. Parker's riffs are musical. Shihab goes so far out he loses me.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3011
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz aficionados Which instrument most exudes the sound of jazz

jodeke wrote:
Listening to Pandora plus, (MY STATIONS). I'm plugged into JAZZ. That genre features a plethora of jazz artist and instruments. I'm a Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, Ahmad Jamal, Dizzy Gillespie, to name a few, fan. I asked myself, which instrument best produces a jazz sound. I think the alto sax. Kinda torn because of Miles and Clifford but settled on the sax because of Yard Bird.


Alto sax and the great Sonny Criss.

https://youtu.be/9DZfaoflKAI

The entire Crisscraft Album is a hidden classic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128003
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Sachmo introduced me to jazz, that is why I played the cornet in school.
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26136
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

my initial response wants to be Sax...but after thinking about it for a minute...have to go with the Trumpet
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I would say sax just because the other instruments remind me somewhat of other genres: trumpet = marching band (go figure), piano/flute/trombone = classical, guitar = rock, organ = hymnal

I'm not huge into jazz though and I listen to more jazz piano than anything else (as a pianist myself)
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Trumpet baby. Those Miles lines are always engraved in my memory bank.

Drums always seem to resonate too, the intricate and dynamic nature of jazz music can really bring out the melody in the rhythmic section.

KBCB would probably agree with the instrument not the artist. He'd most likely choose Clifford Brown.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 8254
Location: LA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

I wanna say trumpet because I love the sound but I think it's gotta be sax.
_________________
LAKERS-DODGERS-BUCCANEERS-KINGS-GALAXY-TROJANS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 8097

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

When I think of sax, I think of jazz, then rock
When I think of trumpet I think of jazz
When I think of piano I think of all genres and Liberace
When I think of guitar I think of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Allman, and Green
When I think of flute I think of a symphony or the Moody Blues or the Blues Project
When I think of trombone I think of marching bands
When I think of organ I think of blues, rock, and church
_________________
For the adults in the room only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 11673
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

I love me some sax. My favorite.

But nothing soars like a trumpet in jazz.
_________________
Maginka doing work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93702
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

There is always an argument about what is "jazz."

But I could even include Jimmy Smith on the organ (my fave) too.

But how about today, some modern cats you like to listen to?
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
When I think of sax, I think of jazz, then rock
When I think of trumpet I think of jazz
When I think of piano I think of all genres and Liberace
When I think of guitar I think of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Allman, and Green
When I think of flute I think of a symphony or the Moody Blues or the Blues Project
When I think of trombone I think of marching bands
When I think of organ I think of blues, rock, and church

This may cause you to have a different perspective about the organ. Just 2 of many Jazz organist.

Jimmy Smith -- Midnight Special

Jack McDuf
f


By the By KBCB chooses drums.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93702
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Not that the chemistry would work, but who would you have on an all time Jazz squad?

I kind of think Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" squad is close.

Trumpet: Miles Davis (Clifford Brown would be a 2nd).
Sax: Coltrane
Piano: Bill Evans
Organ: Jimmy Smith
Drum: Art Blakey (he may be the Lance Stephenson on this squad )
Bass: Mingus

I mean so many people with so much game.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 8097

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
When I think of sax, I think of jazz, then rock
When I think of trumpet I think of jazz
When I think of piano I think of all genres and Liberace
When I think of guitar I think of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Allman, and Green
When I think of flute I think of a symphony or the Moody Blues or the Blues Project
When I think of trombone I think of marching bands
When I think of organ I think of blues, rock, and church

This may cause you to have a different perspective about the organ. Just 2 of many Jazz organist.

[b]Jimmy Smith -- Midnight Special[/b]

Jack McDuf
f


By the By KBCB chooses drums.


So you provide a blues organ number (though with some jazz guitar) and one other something (for me) a bit obscure? I didn't say that there was no organ in jazz, just that jazz does not come to mind when I think of the organ. My perspective is unchanged.

(When I think of drums, I think of Ginger Baker, John Bonhan and Keith Moon.)
_________________
For the adults in the room only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
When I think of sax, I think of jazz, then rock
When I think of trumpet I think of jazz
When I think of piano I think of all genres and Liberace
When I think of guitar I think of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Allman, and Green
When I think of flute I think of a symphony or the Moody Blues or the Blues Project
When I think of trombone I think of marching bands
When I think of organ I think of blues, rock, and church

This may cause you to have a different perspective about the organ. Just 2 of many Jazz organist.

[b]Jimmy Smith -- Midnight Special[/b]

Jack McDuf
f


By the By KBCB chooses drums.


So you provide a blues organ number (though with some jazz guitar) and one other something (for me) a bit obscure? I didn't say that there was no organ in jazz, just that jazz does not come to mind when I think of the organ. My perspective is unchanged.

(When I think of drums, I think of Ginger Baker, John Bonhan and Keith Moon.)


OK. Gene Krupa got me into drums. Art Blakey, Max Roach, Buddy Rich
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.


Last edited by jodeke on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93702
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Yeah, jazz organ is a bit of a lost art. Not too many people playing it well these days though there is a prodigy in Cory Henry but he's delving into more marketable cross-genres (i.e. funk).
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, jazz organ is a bit of a lost art. Not too many people playing it well these days though there is a prodigy in Cory Henry but he's delving into more marketable cross-genres (i.e. funk).


I don't think many musicians choose to play jazz organ. As you say it's a lost art.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

I think Exhibit A for what instrument "exudes the sound of Jazz" is the number of people who mistake Kenny G's music for Jazz, merely because he plays something that's almost a saxophone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93702
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I think Exhibit A for what instrument "exudes the sound of Jazz" is the number of people who mistake Kenny G's music for Jazz, merely because he plays something that's almost a saxophone.


He has hurt jazz tremendously, though I can dig some smooth jazz (only when it's in live as opposed to studio recording form).
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44543
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I think Exhibit A for what instrument "exudes the sound of Jazz" is the number of people who mistake Kenny G's music for Jazz, merely because he plays something that's almost a saxophone.


I put Kenny G into the Smooth Jazz category. I met him once at a KJLH function. He's the epitome of cool. Soft spoken, very affable. He's one of the few celebrities whose autographs I have.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB