Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I have probably 10 scam calls a day. I just dont answer my phone, unless its a contact or I'm expecting from someone. There's voicemail, if they are actually important.

...same for me

Add me to that list.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
On the subject, anyone else get the occasional spam voicemail that is a woman jabbering on in what I am guessing is Chinese and sounds like she's leaving the message via a really bad radio from the 1940s?

It’s the same tax spiel scam that is a common robocall these days, just in mandarin instead of English. Theyre trying to hit all the language bases I guess.

You mean the old, "This is the IRS. You are criminally delinquent on your taxes, wire us $10,000 dollars immediately ore you will be subject to immediate arrest" nonsense?

My mandarin isn’t nearly as good as it was 20 years ago, but yeah, that was the gist of what I understood.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.

I returned one of the spoofed numbers, didn't know it was a spoof. The guy answered said he didn't call me. I told him the number was in my missed call box. He said he didn't call me. I got out of character and went postal. I kinda believe him now. How do spoof numbers work?

So that was you!

Basically, they can show any number they want in your caller ID. A lot of times, they’ll use numbers that are fairly similar to yours under the assumption that you’ll be more likely to pick up if the number looks familiar to you, but the number itself can be randomly picked as well (as I understand it). So calling back a spam call can often lead to a very confused person wondering why you’re yelling at them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.

I returned one of the spoofed numbers, didn't know it was a spoof. The guy answered said he didn't call me. I told him the number was in my missed call box. He said he didn't call me. I got out of character and went postal. I kinda believe him now. How do spoof numbers work?

So that was you!

Basically, they can show any number they want in your caller ID. A lot of times, they’ll use numbers that are fairly similar to yours under the assumption that you’ll be more likely to pick up if the number looks familiar to you, but the number itself can be randomly picked as well (as I understand it). So calling back a spam call can often lead to a very confused person wondering why you’re yelling at them.

To make it even worse (and scarier), people have received spoof calls from numbers that are in their contact list.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

So that was you!

To make it even worse (and scarier), people have received spoof calls from numbers that are in their contact list.

I got one. The number belonged to a friend from Belize. The caller had her name. She even had a Belizean accent. She just had a baby so I thought maybe she was working from home until she recovered from having a child and wanted to stay home with her and make a little money on the side. I was talking up a storm until she tried to sell me something. That's when I knew something was up. I hung up called my friend and let her know what happened. She thanked me for letting her know.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I read once that if you play this 3 tone sound for disconnected phone numbers at the start of your voicemail recording the spambot calling you will recognize the tone and list your phone number as inoperative.

I haven't tried it myself yet.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

My landline had 18 calls from 9am to 9pm yesterday that I did not answer. Many repeat numbers calling up to 3 times each...I have the ringer off...it literally rings all day

I had 1 call on my cell at 8am from a credit card interest lowering company (I don't have a credit card) that I did answer...
I told the operator to put me on their no call list and he told me to shove my phone up my azzzzzzzzzz
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

I just got the Fake IRS Tax call from some bogus New York number. I heard about this scam years ago. First time they called me with it.

They called and left a voice mail talking about this is the IRS and we're calling you because we are investigating you for Tax Fraud.

I know that isnt the case since I do my own taxes and I'm not getting money back most times. I always make sure to darn near break even. So i know its a complete scam. In addition, they wont call you and leave that style of voice message in that manner on their first try calling you. Lastly, you will get a physical letter in the mail first before they ever call you. For this very reason. So you will have that letter where you can respond and call them at a direct line to speak with someone. But these kind of scams could scare someone that doesnt do their own taxes or thinks they may have gotten a bit too much back in the past few years. This scam also works on seniors. Because they just want the headache to go away. so they will offer up their SS#'s and try to pay it off over the phone without verifying if these people are who they say they are.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

I've been getting like 10 a day from political volunteers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
I read once that if you play this 3 tone sound for disconnected phone numbers at the start of your voicemail recording the spambot calling you will recognize the tone and list your phone number as inoperative.

I haven't tried it myself yet.

What if the PCH $7,000 a week sweep stakes calls you?

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject:

I had 23 calls on election day What good is the damn thing if it keeps ringing all day
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

So that was you!

I got one. The number belonged to a friend from Belize. The caller had her name. She even had a Belizean accent. She just had a baby so I thought maybe she was working from home until she recovered from having a child and wanted to stay home with her and make a little money on the side. I was talking up a storm until she tried to sell me something. That's when I knew something was up. I hung up called my friend and let her know what happened. She thanked me for letting her know.

So wait. You got a call that had your friend’s number listed, you answer, it’s someone else, but you two have a nice conversation until you realize they are trying to sell you something?

Jode: hey, how are you
Called: I’m fine thank you
J: how is the baby?
C: you’re probably wondering why I called you sir.
J: your accent sounds like my friend, are you her friend?
C: <goes through sales scriptable>
J: so how is the weather down there
C: fine sir, but I’d like to know whether you’d like me to bill a credit card at this time.
J: my friend needs money? That’s too bad, what happened?
C: no sir, but this opportunity is only going to last a little while longer.
J: oh, ok, so how do you know my friend?
C: I’m not sure what you mean sir, are you ready to purchase?
J: purchase?
C: yes sir, the products we’ve been talking about?
J: oh, no thanks, I don’t need any, my nurse takes care of my catheter ordering. He’s such a good guy.
C: are you sure sir?
J: yeah, but say hi to my friend. Do you have a baby?
C: <hangs up>
J: I wonder why my friends friend would call me from her house and not even put her on the line. Must be one of those work from home things I’ve heard about. Oh well, time for my afternoon bath. Jorge?!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
I had 23 calls on election day What good is the damn thing if it keeps ringing all day

I'm glad election season is over, just to stop those damn robocalls and all those flyers they send thru the postal service.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

I'm glad election season is over, just to stop those damn robocalls and all those flyers they send thru the postal service.

Yes...all that wasted paper.

Not all the calls were election related...I just checked and I already had 3 calls this morning in less than 2 hours
If the spammers keep lists I must be on the never answers list...I haven't answered my phone in 3 years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I got 11 unknown numbers yesterday before 3:00pm. I don't know who they were or what they wanted. I let them go to voice mail. I've removed my name from my greeting. Greeting "I'm currently not by my phone. If this call is important, please leave your name phone number and a brief message. I will return your call as soon as possible. Have a blessed day." That's a 14 second greeting. If no message is left I haven't missed a thing.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I got 11 unknown numbers yesterday before 3:00pm. I don't know who they were or what they wanted. I let them go to voice mail. I've removed my name from my greeting. Greeting "I'm currently not by my phone. If this call is important, please leave your name phone number and a brief message. I will return your call as soon as possible. Have a blessed day." That's a 14 second greeting. If no message is left I, most likely, haven't missed a thing.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

You guys don't wanna see the missed calls and voicemails i have on my phone.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I have zero faith in Ajit Pai, but if he somehow does help address the constant flood of robo and scam calls it will be a huge benefit to the American public.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I have not had a single call since Wednesday ...with the election over and I guess with the scammers figuring everyone's out shopping it's a modern day holiday miracle
They should make a movie about it. The Day the Earth Stopped Calling ...kinda catchy
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

BUMP
I saw this this today and this thread came to mind. Has anyone ever used this site? If you haven't type a number in, see what comes up. I didn't sign up because the Terms of Service are confusing.
Quote:
Yes, I agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I understand that Intelius is not a consumer reporting agency and agree that I will not use Intelius to determine an individual's eligibility for credit, insurance, employment, housing or any other purpose covered by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I agree that my 7-day trial of the Intelius Premier Plus membership starts when I complete this purchase, and then converts to a paid membership after 7 days, unless I cancel. If I cancel within 7 days and have not yet used the background check voucher, I will be charged an additional $7.95. If I use the background check voucher during the 7-day trial, my paid membership will begin immediately upon voucher use. Once my paid membership starts, it will automatically renew for the same term each time it reaches its expiration date, unless I cancel. I will pay $29.95 for each renewal term. I can cancel my membership anytime by accessing my account online or by calling (888) 445-2727, and my benefits will continue through the then-current term. I agree that there are no refunds or credits and that tax will be added where applicable.

I glean you're going to be charged even if you cancel.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: