D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I get the feeling that he's glad he's no longer a Laker, as the current management blamed him for his failure to break out in LA.

Of course he's glad he's no longer a Laker. We've got our heads so far up our own asses that people were like "he better shape up or else the Lakers are gonna ship him out!" like that's a bad thing.

Yep. Thankfully, it does feel a bit like Lakers exceptionalism is bit by bit starting to weaken its grasp on the collective Laker fan psyche.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject:

DLo's HS coach from Montverde in September 2017:

Now he's an all star with his HS teammates Embiid and Simmons. I remember DLo saying he's had a tough start everywhere he goes including Montverde, but he always managed to turn it around in an interview with Trudell on Lakers.com.

Quote:

"Brooklyn's a great situation. I'd be stunned if he's not a five-time All-Star," Boyle said. "D'Angelo's going to be a star in New York. … I've been telling him, 'Make sure you embrace the community. New Yorkers are great people. They want somebody they can touch. [Make sure] it's true, it's genuine, it's real. Do that, you'll have a great career. They're waiting for somebody to step up: You have that opportunity.' "

https://mvasports.com/news/2017/9/26/boys-basketball-ny-post-coach-boyle-on-d-angelo-russell-14.aspx?path=mbball
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject:

Conley never disrespected DLO's potential when that used to be the fashion on national media during his Laker days. Since there's Ohio connection and he had watched him closely in college. Meanwhile trash analysts like Paul Pierce always dissed him. Amin Elhasaan was also fair towards him and expected him to continue developing.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

LA MEDIA is harsh, but NYC is the worst.....

Knicks, Yankees and both Giants/Jets get it bad when they are not performing....

Nets not so much...

Too many expectations placed on DLO to be a leader when even Kobe at that age was no leader
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I get the feeling that he's glad he's no longer a Laker, as the current management blamed him for his failure to break out in LA.

Of course he's glad he's no longer a Laker. We've got our heads so far up our own asses that people were like "he better shape up or else the Lakers are gonna ship him out!" like that's a bad thing.

Yep. Thankfully, it does feel a bit like Lakers exceptionalism is bit by bit starting to weaken its grasp on the collective Laker fan psyche.

Laker exceptionalism is dead. It was gone with Dr. Buss passed away. Lakers are just like any other team in a big market.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Kid's just a slower Kendall Marshall. LOL Bustelo.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Laker exceptionalism is dead. It was gone with Dr. Buss passed away. Lakers are just like any other team in a big market.

IF only we did the right thing and hired Jerry West...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Every year the Magic coup is here we slip further away from championship aspirations
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Every year the Magic coup is here we slip further away from championship aspirations

Klutch may be able to put together a title run, it afterward, when they move on...
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
I was a D'lo guy, but fact of the matter is that trade pushed him to work harder. By most accounts, he wasn't the hardest worker while in LA, was too hooked on the LA lifestyle (see dating a Kardashian), and oh yeah, had that snitch tape.

If D'lo doesn't get traded, don't think he'd be as good as he is now, and also if Levert doesn't get hurt, doubt D'lo would have made the ASG. Would he be our second best player? Good chance, though probably same level as Kuz and BI.

DLo didn't date any Kardashian. It was JC who dated Kendall. DLO dated a USC volleyball player and another black girl after they broke up. And secondly, he lives in NY now not in Utah so it's not like lifestyle can't be a distraction. He had knee issues in his 2nd season at LA and still showed signs that he can takeover in clutch. Averaged 16+ points and Luke himself pointed this out after the trade that he can be an all star. That he's playing like this in a injury free 4th year is no surprise. Besides you admit this is due to his hardwork so it is not like he got some super power after LeVert got injured. He has the ability to carry that team and if anything, it's a plus that he didn't let them crumble after LeVert injury.

He was drafted as a 19 year old. KFT in first season, Lakers started the 2nd season well until his knee injury. Reality is that Lakers have been even more immature than these kids in understanding that development doesn't happen overnight. And what's the plan if NO doesn't take the entire package of kids and first round picks this summer?

D'Lo was rumored to be dating Kendall at one point, even if they weren't, I remember she came to his game and they had some sort of relationship. My point was he was in that lifestyle. Also not arguing that D'lo wouldn't have improved over time, but we are the sum of our experiences. The way D'lo was discarded just to get Mozgov off the books, and the way Magic said he wasn't a leader all fueled him to get better. He also violated the cardinal team rule of snitchin' so moving to Brooklyn gave him a clean start. Finally, not saying NY is Utah, but he went to the Nets. It is basically like playing on the Clippers, it's not the same as the Knicks and way different from the Lakers.

D'lo always had talent, but it's what he's gone through, especially the move to Brooklyn, and some fortunate (or unfortunate from a team standpoint) injuries that allowed him to make his first ASG this year(LeVert and Oladipo). If D'lo doesn't get traded, I think we'd all agree he wouldn't be an All Star this year and he wouldn't have have developed as much as he has.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
I think we'd all agree he wouldn't be an All Star this year and he wouldn't have have developed as much as he has.

He wouldn't have been an all-star in the west. I dispute the notion that you can say he would or wouldn't have developed as much as he did.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
I was a D'lo guy, but fact of the matter is that trade pushed him to work harder. By most accounts, he wasn't the hardest worker while in LA, was too hooked on the LA lifestyle (see dating a Kardashian), and oh yeah, had that snitch tape.

If D'lo doesn't get traded, don't think he'd be as good as he is now, and also if Levert doesn't get hurt, doubt D'lo would have made the ASG. Would he be our second best player? Good chance, though probably same level as Kuz and BI.

DLo didn't date any Kardashian. It was JC who dated Kendall. DLO dated a USC volleyball player and another black girl after they broke up. And secondly, he lives in NY now not in Utah so it's not like lifestyle can't be a distraction. He had knee issues in his 2nd season at LA and still showed signs that he can takeover in clutch. Averaged 16+ points and Luke himself pointed this out after the trade that he can be an all star. That he's playing like this in a injury free 4th year is no surprise. Besides you admit this is due to his hardwork so it is not like he got some super power after LeVert got injured. He has the ability to carry that team and if anything, it's a plus that he didn't let them crumble after LeVert injury.

He was drafted as a 19 year old. KFT in first season, Lakers started the 2nd season well until his knee injury. Reality is that Lakers have been even more immature than these kids in understanding that development doesn't happen overnight. And what's the plan if NO doesn't take the entire package of kids and first round picks this summer?

D'Lo was rumored to be dating Kendall at one point, even if they weren't, I remember she came to his game and they had some sort of relationship. My point was he was in that lifestyle. Also not arguing that D'lo wouldn't have improved over time, but we are the sum of our experiences. The way D'lo was discarded just to get Mozgov off the books, and the way Magic said he wasn't a leader all fueled him to get better. He also violated the cardinal team rule of snitchin' so moving to Brooklyn gave him a clean start. Finally, not saying NY is Utah, but he went to the Nets. It is basically like playing on the Clippers, it's not the same as the Knicks and way different from the Lakers.

D'lo always had talent, but it's what he's gone through, especially the move to Brooklyn, and some fortunate (or unfortunate from a team standpoint) injuries that allowed him to make his first ASG this year(LeVert and Oladipo). If D'lo doesn't get traded, I think we'd all agree he wouldn't be an All Star this year and he wouldn't have have developed as much as he has.

Can we please stop promulgating the snitching myth that we all know to be a lie?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

Can we please stop promulgating the snitching myth that we all know to be a lie?

These days in this Instagram, Snapchat, texting age, people take pictures and videos of everything. I’m a slightly older than Dlo and so many people in my friend group always take pictures or videos of dumb things whenever we hang out.

During that time I believe Nick’s fiancé said Dlo and Nick always fooled around and pranked each other, took videos and pics of dumb things they did etc. All of that is totally realistic based on what I know people do. Especially in that age group.

However, somehow (I have no idea how) that video got out. Even though he didn’t snitch, he should’ve been more responsible. I’m sure he thought nothing of that video, but because it leaked it was all his fault.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
I think we'd all agree he wouldn't be an All Star this year and he wouldn't have have developed as much as he has.

He wouldn't have been an all-star in the west. I dispute the notion that you can say he would or wouldn't have developed as much as he did.

That's my opinion, but adversity often makes us improve. Also with LBJ here, D'lo gets much fewer touches, which I think would also hold him back.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

You can say it wasn't snitching because if wasn't intentional, but in the end, that's how it was perceived. Pranks are supposed to be funny - not sure what's funny about recording your boy saying he cheats on his woman.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
You can say it wasn't snitching because if wasn't intentional, but in the end, that's how it was perceived. Pranks are supposed to be funny - not sure what's funny about recording your boy saying he cheats on his woman.

It wasn’t even the recording. Nick knew he recorded it. He laughed. It’s all on the video.

It was the fact that it somehow came out. That’s all on Russell.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

These days in this Instagram, Snapchat, texting age, people take pictures and videos of everything. I’m a slightly older than Dlo and so many people in my friend group always take pictures or videos of dumb things whenever we hang out.

During that time I believe Nick’s fiancé said Dlo and Nick always fooled around and pranked each other, took videos and pics of dumb things they did etc. All of that is totally realistic based on what I know people do. Especially in that age group.

However, somehow (I have no idea how) that video got out. Even though he didn’t snitch, he should’ve been more responsible. I’m sure he thought nothing of that video, but because it leaked it was all his fault.

Well, we know that it got out through a female he was seeing that had a beef with Young’s GF. You’d be right to give him responsibility, but that’s a completely different accusation than snitching.

Last edited by Omar Little on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

Well, we know that it got out through a female he was seeing that had a beef with Young’s GF. You’d be right to give him responsibility, but that’s a completely different accusation than cheating.

I never understood the snitching thing as well....

I read also it was that volleyball player(DLo's EX) that send that video in to TMZ or something from DLo's phone.....
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Kid's just a slower Kendall Marshall. LOL Bustelo.

Bustelo cafe con leche, El Rey de cafe norte de central park
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:

The wrong was cheating on his girlfriend. The end. Why are we, years after the fact, arguing over DLO's role in someone else's idiocy and immorality? Don't cheat on your girlfriend and there won't be an issue. And if you do, don't brag about it. DLO's role was being at the recording end of two wrongs. Why is there some code to protect stupid behavior? It's dumb. And it's dumber that people who weren't involved are upset over this years after the fact. It's 2018. Are you telling me that a millionaire athlete can't have an openly poly relationship like every other damn person in his peer group? He has to go skulking around and hiding it? Doesn't Lou Williams have two girlfriends? Isn't this the city that embraced Hugh Hefner and his revolving harem? But Nick Young is so stupid and relationship inept that he can't have multiple girlfriends in the open and makes a big secret out of it and then brags about it, gets caught, and it's someone else's fault? I don't know why people can't get over that their idol Nick Young doesn't know how to have relationships with multiple women. And I would also guess this is the same demographic that is still upset that that Kobe "snitched" on Shaq by disclosing publicly available information about Shaq's idiotic shenanigans with women. Come on guys, just accept that your bad relationship decisions are your own responsibility and your "boys" shouldn't need to protect you from doing things you ought to learn not to do in high school.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:

It was perceived that way because some powerful people who didn’t like him perpetuated the meme even after the truth was known. It was the perfect opportunity to make him a pariah among fans, the better to ship him out.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Russell told Young that he'd been recording at the end of that video. It's always weird to me how that isn't mentioned, it's not like Young stayed unaware that he was being recorded. Have him delete that (bleep) and move on with your lives.

The way that people talked about the content and release of that video always demonstrated how badly they wanted to (bleep) on Russell, context be damned.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Russell told Young that he'd been recording at the end of that video. It's always weird to me how that isn't mentioned, it's not like Young stayed unaware that he was being recorded. Have him delete that (bleep) and move on with your lives.

The way that people talked about the content and release of that video always demonstrated how badly they wanted to (bleep) on Russell, context be damned.

Why Magic dissed him after trading him you think? Would've been ok just to say trading for cap space
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why Magic dissed him after trading him you think? Would've been ok just to say trading for cap space

Revenge for Byron.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Revenge for Byron.

Did you expect Dlo to be at this level by year four? Over-exceeded, under-exceeded, or fulfilled your expectations of him by year four?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 56 of 100
Jump to: