D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Ingram averaged 33.5 mpg in year two compared to 28.7 mpg for Russell in year two.

Ingram also took less shots in both of those seasons while playing on better teams. My point though isn't really to compare those two, it's in relation to the response above where he responded to someone talking about young players in both cases breaking out in their fourth year (which Ingram and Lonzo have yet to reach) and then receiving a response about Ingram will never be the scorer that Russell is.

Truth of the matter is Ingram has more physical tools that Russell does. Ingram is the better athlete and he has superior length. Ingram is not the scorer that Russell is right now, but you might project him as having the higher upside as a scorer down the road. I do think Russell has more of a scorer's mentality though personally.

Quote:
And that's without getting into the fact that Russell had a knee injury last season that limited him to just 48 games played and 35 starts (depressing his minutes played and overall stats). He was averaging around 20 ppg last season before his knee injury.

Russell has had multiple knee injuries in his career. But he's also been hot and cold. I'm not tearing him down, I'm a fan of the guy. I didn't like seeing him traded.

The 20 point stretch you are talking about was over 12 games to start last season. The numbers were:

Russell's numbers in that 12 game stretch: 20.9 points (46.3% fg, 30% 3p, 68.3% ft), 4.6 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 0.2 blocks, 1 steal, 4 turnovers in 27.7 minutes

A very promising stretch, which he has only surpassed with this most recent month. Prior to that his best stretch was 18.6 points, 4.8 assists, 2.8 rebounds in March of 2017 on 42.7/36.4/75% shooting)

Of course if that is the stretch you want to stick to you also have to consider Ingram's best stretch of 12 games, the 12 games before he got injured last season...

His numbers in that stretch were: 17.8 points (55.2% fg, 46.4% 3p, 78.9% ft), 5 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 1 block, 0.7 steals, 2.1 turnovers in 32 minutes

The Lakers were 8-4 in Ingram's hot streak (last season). The Nets were 5-7 during Russell's. Russell averaged 3 more points per game during his stretch as the Net's lead man. Randle and Kuzma were sharing the spotlight with Ingram but the impressive thing about his stretch were those shooting numbers. Unfortunately Ingram hasn't shot the ball well this season. But in his first couple of seasons he hit his peak in the latter half of the season.

Quote:
Ingram is only a comparable scorer if you don't watch them play and ignore all context.

Context like the ability to get to the basket? Ingram get to the rim more than twice as often (3x as often this season) as Russell, who is a jump shooter. For Ingram to reach his potential as a scorer he needs to be a reliable three point threat. The 39% he shot from three last season was impressive but at under 2 per game, and he's shot a career low from three (29%) this season. Russell meanwhile is a volume shooter from three, taking between 4.6-6.1 in his first three seasons and 7 this year but he never shot above 35.4% in his first three seasons, and is at respectable 37.4% this season.

Ingram needs his jumper to be reliable if he is going to become a 20 point scorer. If he does though you combine that with his ability to get to the basket, and his ability to shoot over defenders and that is where his upside comes from. Russell meanwhile will go as far as his jumper take as him, because of his inability to get to the rim.

That again is not a slight on Russell. When he drafted the hopes were that he could turn into a sharpshooter and an elite passer. He's made strides in both areas this season.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Reed Wallach

@ReedWallach
4h4 hours ago
More
D'Angelo Russell joins Anthony Davis as the only other player this season to score 40 points, have at least 7 assists and commit no more than 1 turnover.

Well, he'll be a FA this summer, bout to get paid
Good for (bleep) him. Wish it was us that pays him.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
governator wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Reed Wallach

@ReedWallach
4h4 hours ago
More
D'Angelo Russell joins Anthony Davis as the only other player this season to score 40 points, have at least 7 assists and commit no more than 1 turnover.

We do have the cap space, which would be ironic since we traded him to create that cap space... but let's aim higher than DLo
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
governator wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Reed Wallach

@ReedWallach
4h4 hours ago
More

Especially if we could have locked up both Randle and DLO to extensions before they hit Free Agency
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Dawkins highlights:

PUT SOME RESPEK ON DIS MAN'S NAME!
JeffreyRashad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

This one's gonna sting for a long time. The natural talent was evident from the moment he stepped on the court. My favorite player during those dark days. I'd tune into games just to watch D'Angelo.

I can't think of a more perfect fit in the backcourt than Lonzo/DLO. Literally like a glove. The contrast in strengths would have been amazing.

Was hyped after we drafted Lonzo and couldn't wait to see that backcourt develop. We were set at the 1-2 for 10+ years. Even had my 2K franchise mode built around these guys... Then it was taken from us... Like a thief in the night.

Prod: Drake - 'Is There More'

Lakers fan since age 2. Nick Van Exel was my first hero
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
KBH wrote:
Ingram averaged 33.5 mpg in year two compared to 28.7 mpg for Russell in year two.

Ingram also took less shots in both of those seasons while playing on better teams. My point though isn't really to compare those two, it's in relation to the response above where he responded to someone talking about young players in both cases breaking out in their fourth year (which Ingram and Lonzo have yet to reach) and then receiving a response about Ingram will never be the scorer that Russell is.

Truth of the matter is Ingram has more physical tools that Russell does. Ingram is the better athlete and he has superior length. Ingram is not the scorer that Russell is right now, but you might project him as having the higher upside as a scorer down the road. I do think Russell has more of a scorer's mentality though personally.

Quote:
And that's without getting into the fact that Russell had a knee injury last season that limited him to just 48 games played and 35 starts (depressing his minutes played and overall stats). He was averaging around 20 ppg last season before his knee injury.

Russell has had multiple knee injuries in his career. But he's also been hot and cold. I'm not tearing him down, I'm a fan of the guy. I didn't like seeing him traded.

The 20 point stretch you are talking about was over 12 games to start last season. The numbers were:

Russell's numbers in that 12 game stretch: 20.9 points (46.3% fg, 30% 3p, 68.3% ft), 4.6 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 0.2 blocks, 1 steal, 4 turnovers in 27.7 minutes

A very promising stretch, which he has only surpassed with this most recent month. Prior to that his best stretch was 18.6 points, 4.8 assists, 2.8 rebounds in March of 2017 on 42.7/36.4/75% shooting)

Of course if that is the stretch you want to stick to you also have to consider Ingram's best stretch of 12 games, the 12 games before he got injured last season...

His numbers in that stretch were: 17.8 points (55.2% fg, 46.4% 3p, 78.9% ft), 5 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 1 block, 0.7 steals, 2.1 turnovers in 32 minutes

The Lakers were 8-4 in Ingram's hot streak (last season). The Nets were 5-7 during Russell's. Russell averaged 3 more points per game during his stretch as the Net's lead man. Randle and Kuzma were sharing the spotlight with Ingram but the impressive thing about his stretch were those shooting numbers. Unfortunately Ingram hasn't shot the ball well this season. But in his first couple of seasons he hit his peak in the latter half of the season.

Quote:
Ingram is only a comparable scorer if you don't watch them play and ignore all context.

Context like the ability to get to the basket? Ingram get to the rim more than twice as often (3x as often this season) as Russell, who is a jump shooter. For Ingram to reach his potential as a scorer he needs to be a reliable three point threat. The 39% he shot from three last season was impressive but at under 2 per game, and he's shot a career low from three (29%) this season. Russell meanwhile is a volume shooter from three, taking between 4.6-6.1 in his first three seasons and 7 this year but he never shot above 35.4% in his first three seasons, and is at respectable 37.4% this season.

Ingram needs his jumper to be reliable if he is going to become a 20 point scorer. If he does though you combine that with his ability to get to the basket, and his ability to shoot over defenders and that is where his upside comes from. Russell meanwhile will go as far as his jumper take as him, because of his inability to get to the rim.

That again is not a slight on Russell. When he drafted the hopes were that he could turn into a sharpshooter and an elite passer. He's made strides in both areas this season.

I don't see anything in BI's game that tells me he will be a scoring machine. Russell scored something like 18 straight points to end the half in that win against the Magic. That is high level stuff and is yet another glimpse of his scoring talent.
That does not appear to be Ingram's nature and I hope to hell that he does not feel pushed to be that guy. These two young men are very different players.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
KBH wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, the difference between Russell and Ingram to me is the ability to generate offense. Ingram is certainly making strides in this regard, but I can't say I've seen an indication that Ingram can be the hub of an offense the way that D'Lo has shown. And that includes when D'Lo was with us. D'Lo is a better shot creator than Ingram despite Ingram's superior length. That's why I fundamentally disagree with how you're downplaying his higher end scoring and taking more shots. He can create more shots than Ingram because he's a more talented scorer. I would say the same thing about Kuzma compared to B.I. because he generates offense in a more natural way than B.I. which is why he tends to score more than B.I. and average more shot attempts.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is not nearly the shot-maker than DLo is. DLo has an advanced handle for a guard Ingram has an slightly above avg handle for a SF.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject:

Who was that who didn't want to play rookies? IMO B Scott not playing Dlo gave the wrong impression of what he had to offer. He slowed D'Angelo's development. Homie's playing his ass off in Brooklyn. I hope he doesn't let the NY lights get to him. That's one hellofa city. NY the city that never sleeps. Back in the day alcohol was served until 4:00am, hard close 4:30am. I don't know if it's still the same.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Who was that who didn't want to play rookies? IMO B Scott not playing Dlo gave the wrong impression of what he had to offer. He slowed D'Angelo's development. Homie's playing his ass off in Brooklyn. I hope he doesn't let the NY lights get to him. That's one hellofa city. NY the city that never sleeps. Back in the day alcohol was served until 4:00am, hard close 4:30am. I don't know if it's still the same.

Attkinson knew how to show Russell tough love the right way. Byron just was an [expletive] hole.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA

Verified account

@NBA
Following Following @NBA
More
#NBA Players of the Week for Week 14!

@Dloading of the @BrooklynNets (East)
@JHarden13 of the @HoustonRockets (West)

DLO EC player of the week!
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Quote:
NBA

Verified account

@NBA
Following Following @NBA
More
#NBA Players of the Week for Week 14!

@Dloading of the @BrooklynNets (East)
@JHarden13 of the @HoustonRockets (West)

DLO EC player of the week!
Well deserved.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Yep I just saw...DLO is EC player of the week.
Congrats to him!
What could've been...
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Kid is straight ballin right now
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

24/6/4 half way through the 3rd quarter.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1087459593297555458
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
24/6/4 half way through the 3rd quarter.

He's hitting 60% of his 3's right now.
I don't understand Atkinson's fascination with Dinwiddie. He's so out of control and is so selfish.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Nice chase down block, didn't give up on the play and prevented an easy transition layup+putback attempt
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

29/8/4. Nets up by 18.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

His defense is much improved. He's really putting it all together. These flashes or streaks are pretty darn regular nowadays
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
29/8/4. Nets up by 18.
He is their best player this season. I hope they make the playoffs.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Nets up by 24 with 4:24 to go. Game over. Fox had a bad game.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

31/4/8/1/1 with 7 triples and no turnovers in what should be a blowout W against the Kings

Last edited by bonkers on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

We'll have the same record as the Nets if we lose tonight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 29 of 100
Jump to: