Interesting Patten On The Lack Of Rebounding Last Game

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Interesting Patten On The Lack Of Rebounding Last Game

LFR as usual made a great analysis video on this issue.

Noticed anything besides anything LFR mentions? Lonzo and Hart, ala our best rebounding guards, aren’t in this video (except Hart on one possession but Lonzo wasn’t in here at all).

Sounds like this can be solved with having our two strongest guards start instead of them behind the bench.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Patten On The Lack Of Rebounding Last Game

Megaton wrote:
LFR as usual made a great analysis video on this issue.

Noticed anything besides anything LFR mentions? Lonzo and Hart, ala our best rebounding guards, aren’t in this video (except Hart on one possession but Lonzo wasn’t in here at all).

Sounds like this can be solved with having our two strongest guards start instead of them behind the bench.

While that's the case, there's the illusion that Rondo/Lance are great rebounding guards too. Truth is, they had bigs boxing guys out to get boards.

Now, they have to rebound as a whole unit instead of having the occasional guy leak out.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

Interesting tape and comments

Lakers can fix the "ball watching" and "loss of focus" and "poor communication" but how do you fix the lack of physicality?

The issue at center is a big enough problem but IMO it is the trickle down effects of expecting SGs and SFs to consistently hold off the more physical and more importantly physical mentality across the roster.

Examples shown were Ingram and McGee getting pushed out of plays by Nurkic. KCP being abused by Aminu or from my memory Collins taking Hart to the post on several occasions.

Lakers choosing to play small ball has it's downsides. This is going to be a season long issue with this roster.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Interesting tape and comments

Lakers can fix the "ball watching" and "loss of focus" and "poor communication" but how do you fix the lack of physicality?

The issue at center is a big enough problem but IMO it is the trickle down effects of expecting SGs and SFs to consistently hold off the more physical and more importantly physical mentality across the roster.

Examples shown were Ingram and McGee getting pushed out of plays by Nurkic. KCP being abused by Aminu or from my memory Collins taking Hart to the post on several occasions.

Lakers choosing to play small ball has it's downsides. This is going to be a season long issue with this roster.

Enough to give Johnathan Williams a 2-way. It's not like Travis Wear did a bad job contributing last season either.

You can run small ball BUT.

One guy has to have enough post base to defend bigs. GSW has Draymond Green. HOU has PJ Tucker. Lakers have.... ?

Need to increase hoop IQ of the entire team. You're not doubling Meyers Leonard to leave Nik Stauskas open.

iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Curious if Mo can be our smallball center or if we need to find our PJ Tucker this summer
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
Curious if Mo can be our smallball center or if we need to find our PJ Tucker this summer

Considering how badly he got killed in the post at the NCAA level, I'm not optimistic. He lacks post base too.

The 1 guy I thought that could actually board and swat and come cheap, plays in China.

The guy that most looks like they can fight position is actually Josh Hart, and he's not PJ Tucker level muscle.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

TRADE THEM ALL!!!
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

If this team had Jules I would be feeling so much better right now.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
TRADE THEM ALL!!!

That's a Megaton thread, so the goal is probably to say we should fire Luke...
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

FIRE LUKE!!!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

One of the down sides of having most of your players be over matched physically. I'll say it again. There is only 1 Warriors team. They can get away with playing that way because they have the players to do it, we do not.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
One of the down sides of having most of your players be over matched physically. I'll say it again. There is only 1 Warriors team. They can get away with playing that way because they have the players to do it, we do not.

So does Houston.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:

One guy wouldn't change this imo. Its a product of trying to force a style of play.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

One guy wouldn't change this imo. Its a product of trying to force a style of play.

Vehemently disagree there. We got the style of play we wanted last season, and it included Randle in the lineup.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:

So does Houston.

Yea they have the firepower and Capela but I doubt they beat GS. I feel they are trying to beat GS at their own game. Its not going to work.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Vehemently disagree there. We got the style of play we wanted last season, and it included Randle in the lineup.

But that was a team with no expectations. This team is expected to win 50+ games and go at least to the second round. I don't think we accomplish either of those trying to force Kuzma and Beasley or even Lebron at center. I think Luke has to adapt and put in a center when its needed and use size to his advantage not the other way around. I also think Rondo is fools gold in the starting line up. I mean its only one game so I'm jumping the gun a bit. We will see how Luke adjusts.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

This dude Ingram is straight up allergic to rebounds, I mean my god. He's 6'9 with a 7'3 rebound on a team that barely rebounds and you telling me he can't go get more then 4 a game?

Ingram should be a 6-7 rebounds a game period with the minutes he gets.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

But that was a team with no expectations. This team is expected to win 50+ games and go at least to the second round. I don't think we accomplish either of those trying to force Kuzma and Beasley or even Lebron at center. I think Luke has to adapt and put in a center when its needed and use size to his advantage not the other way around. I also think Rondo is fools gold in the starting line up. I mean its only one game so I'm jumping the gun a bit. We will see how Luke adjusts.

No expectations, yet were among the league leaders in rebounding anyway. You'd think they'd actually slack off statistically because there wasn't a post season.

LeBron and youthcore were actually among the best lineups against Portland, but didn't stay on the floor long enough despite the obvious scoring punch. LeBron himself is missing/not executing team defensive rotations out to corner shooters, and that was part of the problem.

100 ORtg. 40DRtg.

Rajon Rondo actually had a hell of a game, kept up the pace, was a scoring threat, and controlled the offense outside of LeBron. Zo didn't wake up until the 2nd half and even then, didn't really look like himself.

I get that it's a talent issue. But we're not watching LeBron at 5 like we thought we would, and he actually helped close the rebounding cap in the 2nd half after Portland wrecked the offensive glass in the first half.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
This dude Ingram is straight up allergic to rebounds, I mean my god. He's 6'9 with a 7'3 rebound on a team that barely rebounds and you telling me he can't go get more then 4 a game?

Ingram should be a 6-7 rebounds a game period with the minutes he gets.

His physicality and awareness has improved on D. Definitely not on the boards though.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

I think just about everyone agrees this experiment with Kuzma looks awful because he doesn't have the base to be a small ball center.

One other thing bothers me though, it appears Luke thinks small ball can be effective when played all game long, not just in short spurts when the other team is tired. This kind of thinking just magnifies the disadvantage we see from not having a guy who can get position.

It also hurts our cause because the emphasis is then forcing rebounding duties on an entire squad of guys who could otherwise be playing to their strengths and leaking out in transition for quick buckets.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I think just about everyone agrees this experiment with Kuzma looks awful because he doesn't have the base to be a small ball center.

One other thing bothers me though, it appears Luke thinks small ball can be effective when played all game long, not just in short spurts when the other team is tired. This kind of thinking just magnifies the disadvantage we see from not having a guy who can get position.

It also hurts our cause because the emphasis is then forcing rebounding duties on an entire squad of guys who could otherwise be playing to their strengths and leaking out in transition for quick buckets.

It's also a team defensive adjustment. Kuzma has looked best fronting the post, but that means the nearby wings need to be ready for the weakside rotations too.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

IMO Walton is playing the cards he has been given. Even if he advocates playing fast and small ball there are limitations with the current roster.

Lakers have...? May be the most important question posed but never answered.

Compare to rosters across the League. Both past and present. Every team has at least one or more "physical attitude" player. A center or PF whose strength has been developed as the effort and physical guy in the paint. The junkyard dog that does all the dirty work. The rebounder since his college days. The player whose primary skill is battling for position and rebounds. That is his identifiable strength coming into the League and continues to get developed.

Lakers have...?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

As Luke said yesterday: make sure the team secures the rebound before leaking out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: