Defense - is it just me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Can't fix everything at once but this defense most definitely needs to be fixed.

One should think Brian Keefe can coach defense as he was the OKC defensive coordinator from 2010-2014 and they were 15th, 11th, 4th, 6th in the league for defensive efficiency. And with the Lakers last year, they ended around 12th vs the 23rd they are right now. But if he can't get this team humming on defense, I'm all for dumping him.

As a team, they need some ACRE (Awareness, Communication, Rebounding and Effort). Doesn't matter who you are, you can do those things (rebounding = boxing out) and help with the team defense. I haven't seen much of anything of the Lakers doing defensive drills, just some minimal work between McGee and some assistants. I'd like to see them practice more 5 on 5 and also running full teams sets, so they learn to communicate with each other and play against actual offensive plays. Not scrimmages which I'm sure just turn into the jungle-ball that the Lakers like to play in games.

Problem is Lebron as noted every which way barely tries on defense. He's somehow thinks everyone is someone else's assignment. Can't keep that going. Or he's saving his legs for later in the game or when he's on offense.

How you work on that is:

a) Show Lebron that he's not much of a net positive on the floor with his lack of defense. Give him the numbers, they aren't great. Lebron should be able to understand a challenge without feeling like he has to dunk his coach.
b) Play him less minutes so he's more rested with a better sub pattern i.e. don't leave him out there for such long stretches
c) Have less iso plays so he doesn't have to expend as much energy bully-ing his way to the hoop to score. The pace the Lakers want to run at are already going to be an issue for Lebron. Make it so he doesn't feel like he has to "do it all" in the half-court offense
d) Sometimes Lebron just guards "this section of the floor" with no player in sight or stands near another Laker defender. Lebron needs to pick up his guy.

Next problem is Kuzma. And I think his main problem is being played out of position at small ball 5 and having him play next to Lebron who isn't trying. I like that they have some offensive chemistry but together defensively they are a mess. Have Kuzma play more with the second unit. Kuzma wasn't nearly as bad previously.

I think Ingram will be fine. He's got good length and puts in effort (albeit with lapses). I think his main issue is going to be his footwork and reaching in. His arms being unnaturally long are just too easy a target for the offensive player or the ref. Use his arms to block/change shots and interrupt passing lanes. Poking out the ball isn't his strong point though and I think leads to more fouls than steals.

Hart shouldn't ever be on the floor as the 4. Makes no sense. I think Hart has the tools to be a + defender. I think he should be with the starting unit. Even though his perimeter defense hasn't been good, I think keeping his role more consistent, playing more with the starters should help.

Ball is an enigma. Sometimes he puts in the effort as the only guy who consistently fights through screens, and then sometimes inexplicably he completely loses his man. Part of the Lakers early issues I think were doubling in the post because they were playing really thin up front. For whatever reason, his defensive efficiency has taken a nose dive. He's best at being the on-ball defender and interrupting passing lanes.

McGee has been the one solid defender for the Lakers. His post defense has been very sound. I think his issue is when they switch on him and he is forced to contest on the outside. Also his rebounding could be better. He doesn't have those sticky hands that let him just grab a ball out of the air. Swat the ball out of the air yes, control it, no. The biggest problem is that when McGee was off the court, the Lakers defense went completely to (bleep). I hope that Chandler is able to help correct this.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Jason Timpf
@Jason_Timpf
https://twitter.com/Jason_Timpf/status/1060619986215960576

My “Lakers are a good defensive team with a center on the floor” theory is holding strong after 11 games.

Defensive rating is 105.9 with Javale on the floor (in almost 300 minutes). This is top 10 in the league.

And here’s what Tyson Chandler did last night:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrgUQSgVAAAZLMz.jpg

11:48 AM - 8 Nov 2018
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's good around the rim. It's mostly bad everywhere else. I'd stick to opponent FG%, 3ptFG%, Opponent rebounding (differential).

Dis

our perimeter D is horrible and non existent. Relies to much on McGee
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Can't fix everything at once but this defense most definitely needs to be fixed.

One should think Brian Keefe can coach defense as he was the OKC defensive coordinator from 2010-2014 and they were 15th, 11th, 4th, 6th in the league for defensive efficiency. And with the Lakers last year, they ended around 12th vs the 23rd they are right now. But if he can't get this team humming on defense, I'm all for dumping him.

As a team, they need some ACRE (Awareness, Communication, Rebounding and Effort). Doesn't matter who you are, you can do those things (rebounding = boxing out) and help with the team defense. I haven't seen much of anything of the Lakers doing defensive drills, just some minimal work between McGee and some assistants. I'd like to see them practice more 5 on 5 and also running full teams sets, so they learn to communicate with each other and play against actual offensive plays. Not scrimmages which I'm sure just turn into the jungle-ball that the Lakers like to play in games.

Problem is Lebron as noted every which way barely tries on defense. He's somehow thinks everyone is someone else's assignment. Can't keep that going. Or he's saving his legs for later in the game or when he's on offense.

How you work on that is:

a) Show Lebron that he's not much of a net positive on the floor with his lack of defense. Give him the numbers, they aren't great. Lebron should be able to understand a challenge without feeling like he has to dunk his coach.
b) Play him less minutes so he's more rested with a better sub pattern i.e. don't leave him out there for such long stretches
c) Have less iso plays so he doesn't have to expend as much energy bully-ing his way to the hoop to score. The pace the Lakers want to run at are already going to be an issue for Lebron. Make it so he doesn't feel like he has to "do it all" in the half-court offense
d) Sometimes Lebron just guards "this section of the floor" with no player in sight or stands near another Laker defender. Lebron needs to pick up his guy.

Next problem is Kuzma. And I think his main problem is being played out of position at small ball 5 and having him play next to Lebron who isn't trying. I like that they have some offensive chemistry but together defensively they are a mess. Have Kuzma play more with the second unit. Kuzma wasn't nearly as bad previously.

I think Ingram will be fine. He's got good length and puts in effort (albeit with lapses). I think his main issue is going to be his footwork and reaching in. His arms being unnaturally long are just too easy a target for the offensive player or the ref. Use his arms to block/change shots and interrupt passing lanes. Poking out the ball isn't his strong point though and I think leads to more fouls than steals.

Hart shouldn't ever be on the floor as the 4. Makes no sense. I think Hart has the tools to be a + defender. I think he should be with the starting unit. Even though his perimeter defense hasn't been good, I think keeping his role more consistent, playing more with the starters should help.

Ball is an enigma. Sometimes he puts in the effort as the only guy who consistently fights through screens, and then sometimes inexplicably he completely loses his man. Part of the Lakers early issues I think were doubling in the post because they were playing really thin up front. For whatever reason, his defensive efficiency has taken a nose dive. He's best at being the on-ball defender and interrupting passing lanes.

McGee has been the one solid defender for the Lakers. His post defense has been very sound. I think his issue is when they switch on him and he is forced to contest on the outside. Also his rebounding could be better. He doesn't have those sticky hands that let him just grab a ball out of the air. Swat the ball out of the air yes, control it, no. The biggest problem is that when McGee was off the court, the Lakers defense went completely to (bleep). I hope that Chandler is able to help correct this.
the reason hart was on the floor as a 4 is because he's strong enough and knows how to use his leverage to stop a lot of current nba 4's from making a move on him. he's better at that than he is actually defending perimeter players with this new no touching at all rules. that is the key. The rules have changed drastically this season which is why so many teams are scoring so many points. everytime hart TRIES to play solid perimeter defense. his man is given a foul call or he gets a half of a step on hart and hart tries to use his strength to bump the guy. automatic foul these days.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

Delayed Lake Show

On Tuesday, Oct. 30, Lakers head coach Luke Walton and president Magic Johnson had a meeting to discuss a 2-5 start. Coincidence or not, the Lakers have won four of five games since that meeting, and the defense has led the turnaround. It helps that the Lakers have been the best team in the league in preventing trips to the free throw line since Walton and Johnson's meeting.

LAKERS (RANK) BEFORE OCT. 30 SINCE OCT. 30
W-L 2-5 (T-20th) 4-1 (T-4th)
Off. Eff. 113.0 (7th) 105.8 (18th)
Def. Eff. 113.2 (23rd) 103.1 (5th)
Opp. FTA rate .292 (21st) .178 (1st)
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Delayed Lake Show

On Tuesday, Oct. 30, Lakers head coach Luke Walton and president Magic Johnson had a meeting to discuss a 2-5 start. Coincidence or not, the Lakers have won four of five games since that meeting, and the defense has led the turnaround. It helps that the Lakers have been the best team in the league in preventing trips to the free throw line since Walton and Johnson's meeting.

LAKERS (RANK) BEFORE OCT. 30 SINCE OCT. 30
W-L 2-5 (T-20th) 4-1 (T-4th)
Off. Eff. 113.0 (7th) 105.8 (18th)
Def. Eff. 113.2 (23rd) 103.1 (5th)
Opp. FTA rate .292 (21st) .178 (1st)

That's cool. Instead of free throws we give opponents free three point shots and uncontested jumpshots off PnR.
It sure is helpful as hell.

But sarcasm away, I really like that we are playing some D finally.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: