Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

In watching the Denver game, I am realizing every one of our guys can flush dunks with ease and overall we have speed to burn.

It is obvious the work say Kuzma put in on his body in the off season and Josh Hart dunks regularly all over the place.

I would argue that 1-12 this the most athletic team in Lakers history. And that is saying something. I am not saying the best team in Lakers history, but it isn't like we are at a disadvantage anymore athletically.

Thoughts?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

LakerLanny wrote:
In watching the Denver game, I am realizing every one of our guys can flush dunks with ease and overall we have speed to burn.

It is obvious the work say Kuzma put in on his body in the off season and Josh Hart dunks regularly all over the place.

I would argue that 1-12 this the most athletic team in Lakers history. And that is saying something. I am not saying the best team in Lakers history, but it isn't like we are at a disadvantage anymore athletically.

Thoughts?

very doubtful. watch showtime in the 80s. We keep trying to find the silver lining here, but it seems to me we are a very bad shooting team during a time where shooting is KING. It's possible this team can make some kind of statement against that, but that remains to be seen. We are trying to emphasize all these things other than shooting... defense, passing, hustling, bullying. To me, it seems chaotic. What's the goal here? SOmehow, we're going to come up with a way to make it to the finals (or deep) with just layups and dunks? IN 2019? I doubt this very much. I feel like any elite team will easily figure us out in the playoffs.

I also don't think many watch other teams in the league. I see a whole ton of people taller than 6'4" who can dunk ferociously. All over the league. Every time, I am surprised by another no name person that is just like a remarkable athlete. I think we are trying very hard to make up for our glaring deficiencies by playing with very high energy and pace.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The one season of Kobe/Shaq/Eddie/Nick/Horry Lakers were pretty damn athletic with some mobile, if dumb, backup bigs in Elden, Corie Blount, and Mario Bennett. Obviously Fisher, Fox, and Jon Barry drug down their athletic quotient, but that top group was athletic as hell.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

LakerLanny wrote:

Thoughts?

Some of those teams in the 90's were pretty athletic. You had Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Cedric Ceballos, Elden Campbell, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

SuperboyReformed wrote:

very doubtful. watch showtime in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure Lanny has watched every Showtime Lakers game.

Quote:
We keep trying to find the silver lining here, but it seems to me we are a very bad shooting team during a time where shooting is KING.

If we're going to cherry pick, the trend has been better 3 point shooting the last 3 games. Around 35% I believe, which is middle of the pack in the league, and comparable to Houston 35% and the Warriors at 36%. While Ball may regress a little, Lebron and Kuzma will get back to their averages and we should be at least average 3 point shooting team. It's not like they didn't make timely 3s last night--they can shoot. The shooting increase is also probably not coincidentally happening with the lineup change.

Quote:
SOmehow, we're going to come up with a way to make it to the finals (or deep) with just layups and dunks? IN 2019? I doubt this very much. I feel like any elite team will easily figure us out in the playoffs.

This is just a weird statement given they're coming off taking 29 3's last night. But yes, they will make the playoffs attacking the paint relentlessly and hitting 3s.

As to Lanny's original post--it's hard to say since those Showtime teams were remarkably athletic as well, but in terms of ability to get out and run at all positions (and through the bench a few deep) I think they're certainly close.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I think the reason you can have this argument is because traditional big men of the past were rarely athletic, compared to other positions. Now, in the era of "positionless basketball" mobile bigs are the preference. So, there are more Hakeem Olajawoun's/Kevin Garnett body types out there, than Shaq's and such.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Maybe for the modern era of positionless basketball.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

The 1997-98 Lakers was the most Athletic team I ever saw. Van Excel. Eddie Jones, Kobe, Shaq, Elden. Horry. Don't believe me, check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUyi4ldnmo
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't know Lanny, the 1996 Lakers was so fun to watch. 24 year old Shaq, Kobe, Eddie, Fisher, Horry, NVE, and Seldom Campbell were a pretty athletic bunch. We had 4 all stars the following year IIRC. Probably my favorite non-title Laker team of all-time.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
The 1997-98 Lakers was the most Athletic team I ever saw. Van Excel. Eddie Jones, Kobe, Shaq, Elden. Horry. Don't believe me, check this out:

Beat me to it. I loved watching that team.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma and Ingram don't strike me as great athletes

Lonzo and Hart seem pretty good
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not the most athletic starting five, but definitely the most athletic overall.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Thoughts?

very doubtful. watch showtime in the 80s. We keep trying to find the silver lining here, but it seems to me we are a very bad shooting team during a time where shooting is KING. It's possible this team can make some kind of statement against that, but that remains to be seen. We are trying to emphasize all these things other than shooting... defense, passing, hustling, bullying. To me, it seems chaotic. What's the goal here? SOmehow, we're going to come up with a way to make it to the finals (or deep) with just layups and dunks? IN 2019? I doubt this very much. I feel like any elite team will easily figure us out in the playoffs.

I also don't think many watch other teams in the league. I see a whole ton of people taller than 6'4" who can dunk ferociously. All over the league. Every time, I am surprised by another no name person that is just like a remarkable athlete. I think we are trying very hard to make up for our glaring deficiencies by playing with very high energy and pace.

I think you're talking about something else. He was simply talking about athleticism, which I might have to agree with. Talent, shooting, passing, etc. I don't think he's talking about that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I don't know Lanny, the 1996 Lakers was so fun to watch. 24 year old Shaq, Kobe, Eddie, Fisher, Horry, NVE, and Seldom Campbell were a pretty athletic bunch. We had 4 all stars the following year IIRC. Probably my favorite non-title Laker team of all-time.

I think I'll give the edge to the current squad in terms of top to bottom. It can be very subjective though. A good example will be Robert Horry, I think many will say he was athletic, and listing him as an example, but IMO, he doesn't crack the top 7 athletes on our current squad. In no particular order...

Lebron
Mcgee
Ingram
Lonzo
Kuzma
Hart
Lance

Beasley, KCP and Rondo are pretty athletic as well. Even Svi has shown some ups. Overall, I think it's this squad, but that doesn't mean it's a better squad.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Maybe not the most athletic starting five, but definitely the most athletic overall.

Clicked on the thread looking for this.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

If anybody would know. It would be NPZ.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Clicked on the thread looking for this.

Same here, thread does not disappoint.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Kuzma and Ingram don't strike me as great athletes

Lonzo and Hart seem pretty good

I think Kuzma is pretty athletic. I agree on Ingram though. He just looks awkward on the court.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject:

Showtime had an old KAJ.

McGee gives the squad a different dimension athletically.

Although I would rather have a 40 year old KAJ.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

I checked the thread just to make sure this comment was made and feel the ensuing numbness.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

I think I'll give the edge to the current squad in terms of top to bottom. It can be very subjective though. A good example will be Robert Horry, I think many will say he was athletic, and listing him as an example, but IMO, he doesn't crack the top 7 athletes on our current squad. In no particular order...

Lebron
Mcgee
Ingram
Lonzo
Kuzma
Hart
Lance

Beasley, KCP and Rondo are pretty athletic as well. Even Svi has shown some ups. Overall, I think it's this squad, but that doesn't mean it's a better squad.

Kobe
LeBron
Shaq
Eddie
Lonzo
McGee

Everybody else just avg/slightly above avg in both lists
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Beat me to it. I loved watching that team.

Me too, I would have loved to see what that team could have done without jettisoning Nick, Eddie, and Elden.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

Showtime was ridiculously athletic. Fair arguments for the '90's squad too.

But yes this team is athletic on par with those teams, and that says a lot.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

1997-1998 Lakers were one of the greatest non title winning teams ever & extremely athletic!! Still disappoints me that we didn't get a Lakers vs Bulls Finals in '98.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The one season of Kobe/Shaq/Eddie/Nick/Horry Lakers were pretty damn athletic with some mobile, if dumb, backup bigs in Elden, Corie Blount, and Mario Bennett. Obviously Fisher, Fox, and Jon Barry drug down their athletic quotient, but that top group was athletic as hell.

That's the team I was going to mention.

The current team is fast, and actually knows how to get into transition. But most athletic?

Nick, Kobe, Eddie, Horry (before he got too big), Shaq, Elden (every bit the hops of McGee, just not quite the wingspan/hands), etc.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: