Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The one season of Kobe/Shaq/Eddie/Nick/Horry Lakers were pretty damn athletic with some mobile, if dumb, backup bigs in Elden, Corie Blount, and Mario Bennett. Obviously Fisher, Fox, and Jon Barry drug down their athletic quotient, but that top group was athletic as hell.

Or when Kobe played with Ceballos. That's 2 slam dunk champs right there.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

Do we have even one guy considered to have elite athleticism?
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

The one season of Kobe/Shaq/Eddie/Nick/Horry Lakers were pretty damn athletic with some mobile, if dumb, backup bigs in Elden, Corie Blount, and Mario Bennett. Obviously Fisher, Fox, and Jon Barry drug down their athletic quotient, but that top group was athletic as hell.

Fisher, Fox not athletic?

Athleticism =/= jumping high. NBA fans.....
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

Not fast, Fisher used to be quick, not great vert... not great lateral.. Strong.

Strength is athleticism by itself at the NBA level?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:

You'd be hard to find anyone describe Rick Fox as athletic.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

No. It's not LeBron anymore, but I think he has more weight to shed before his quickness/explosiveness to the hoop arrive in the halfcourt, not just transition.

SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

You'd be hard to find anyone describe Rick Fox as athletic.

Only those who never watched him play D during the championship years....
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

Not fast, Fisher used to be quick, not great vert... not great lateral.. Strong.

Strong, quick hands, played great D until his first major injury (was it ankle?). Being able to go through is just as athletic as being able to go over.

I mean, it isn't hard, just take a dictionary definition: "physically strong, fit, and active." Explains Fisher to a T.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

Strong, quick hands, played great D until his first major injury (was it ankle?). Being able to go through is just as athletic as being able to go over.

I mean, it isn't hard, just take a dictionary definition: "physically strong, fit, and active." Explains Fisher to a T.

That's an awfully low bar considering how many more athletic starting point guards there were in the NBA.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

That's an awfully low bar considering how many more athletic starting point guards there were in the NBA.

SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

As strong and active as Fish was, pound for pound...do not agree *shrug*.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

But just to be clear, are you saying you consider Fisher and Fox to be athletic?

Or are you saying, the scouts think Fisher and Fox were athetic?

Because by NBA standards, they really weren't considered to be athletic.

Also, Luka Doncic is considered below average athletically and he's "physically strong, fit, and active."

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

The 1998 Lakers were more athletic than this team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

McGee is our most athletic player, IMO.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

don't forget our max player
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

don't forget our max player

True. I took his athleticism for granted since its on the decline.

Ok, outside of Bron, I think it might be McGee
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

McGee? Randle would have been. Those old Clippers teams with young LO and Miles were pretty athletic. Just not good.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Most Athletic Lakers Team Ever?

LakerLanny wrote:
In watching the Denver game, I am realizing every one of our guys can flush dunks with ease and overall we have speed to burn.

It is obvious the work say Kuzma put in on his body in the off season and Josh Hart dunks regularly all over the place.

I would argue that 1-12 this the most athletic team in Lakers history. And that is saying something. I am not saying the best team in Lakers history, but it isn't like we are at a disadvantage anymore athletically.

Thoughts?

Never really thought of it, but now that you brought it up: I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT!
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:

Let's see.

But just to be clear, are you saying you consider Fisher and Fox to be athletic?

Also, Luka Doncic is considered below average athletically and he's "physically strong, fit, and active."

In their prime, yes, I do. Scouts also overlook players ALL THE TIMe because of idiotic measurement statistics....So, I am not so concerned with their definitions....BTW, Dean Smith surely felt Fox was athletic: "“I asked the guy seated next to me, ‘Who is that?'” Smith told the Boston Globe in 1991. “He said, ‘That’s Rick Fox.’ The guy seated next to me turned out to be one of his coaches. I kept boasting about how well he moved his feet and hands.”"

https://usatodayhss.com/2013/high-school-insider-tar-heels-found-rick-fox-by-accident

Quick hands and feet are part of athleticism...again, unless, like many here and commenting on the NBA, they leave that to the realm of jumping high....

As far as Fisher, even out of his prime, you do not make the shot he did against the Celts in 2010 without superb athleticism (e.g., strength and active bodily capacity).

Again, *shrug*
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I would say pound for pound kcp is our most athletic player.LeBron if you leave out size.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

In their prime, yes, I do. Scouts also overlook players ALL THE TIMe because of idiotic measurement statistics....So, I am not so concerned with their definitions....BTW, Dean Smith surely felt Fox was athletic: "“I asked the guy seated next to me, ‘Who is that?'” Smith told the Boston Globe in 1991. “He said, ‘That’s Rick Fox.’ The guy seated next to me turned out to be one of his coaches. I kept boasting about how well he moved his feet and hands.”"

https://usatodayhss.com/2013/high-school-insider-tar-heels-found-rick-fox-by-accident

Quick hands and feet are part of athleticism...again, unless, like many here and commenting on the NBA, they leave that to the realm of jumping high....

As far as Fisher, even out of his prime, you do not make the shot he did against the Celts in 2010 without superb athleticism (e.g., strength and active bodily capacity).

Again, *shrug*

Yeah, so basically, you're just challenging the norms of what's considered to be "athletic." And that's ok, it's just good to try and be clear.

So you feel Fox and Fisher are athletic based on your own interpretations of what "athletic" means.

Other people on here are saying that Fisher and Fox are not athletic based on industry standards.

It's 2 different arguments.

Which would you like to discuss? If you want to discuss about why Fisher and Fox fit YOUR definition of what athletic means, no one can argue with you. No one knows what your definition is. Only you know. So, yeah, you're right on that. Fisher and Fox do fit YOUR definition of athletic players.

Now, if you want to discuss if Fisher and Fox fit the industry norms of an athletic player in the NBA, then we can discuss that. And everyone on here feels that they don't.

So which do you want to discuss?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If anybody would know. It would be NPZ.

Tbh, I'd probably go with one of the Lake Show teams that had prime Shaq. That kind of athleticism at the C position is beyond rare. Then add that to young Kobe, Eddie, younger Horry, Van Exel.

The early 80s Lakers were imo more athletic overall than the latter teams. They were built to run other teams out. The 89 team with Orlando, Scott, Worthy was pretty good.

This team today might have the raw athletic attributes, but they often annoy me with how that's not utilized to their benefit.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That's the team I was going to mention.

The current team is fast, and actually knows how to get into transition. But most athletic?

Nick, Kobe, Eddie, Horry (before he got too big), Shaq, Elden (every bit the hops of McGee, just not quite the wingspan/hands), etc.

that team was awesome. VERY athletic. Fisher doesn't drag it down! He was super strong, and had hops! He could dunk before 2001ish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: