Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Kenley has to be removed from the closer position. He is jacking up our odds of getting home field advantage if we make it to the world series. We should have won last night. Guy puts pressure on the whole rest of the team by making them play extra innings. Put Kelly in at closer please. Jansen appears to be done at this point. Let him pitch in less pressure filled innings.

I'm guessing they fear he may even be worse in set-up or middle relief duty. He doesn't strike me as the type of athlete to handle a demotion gracefully. So the only options are basically to leave him as the closer or be prepared to not use him at all. Regardless, I don't see any way he's back next season. They will pay to get rid of him.

How is he going to handle it if he blows a playoff series, possibly even the World Series and Dodger fans hate him? ESPN, YouTube, etc. would be showing clips of him blowing the World Series over and over again while some guy is celebrating after hitting a home run off of him and becoming a hero.

Some guys never recover from that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Kenley has to be removed from the closer position. He is jacking up our odds of getting home field advantage if we make it to the world series. We should have won last night. Guy puts pressure on the whole rest of the team by making them play extra innings. Put Kelly in at closer please. Jansen appears to be done at this point. Let him pitch in less pressure filled innings.

I'm guessing they fear he may even be worse in set-up or middle relief duty. He doesn't strike me as the type of athlete to handle a demotion gracefully. So the only options are basically to leave him as the closer or be prepared to not use him at all. Regardless, I don't see any way he's back next season. They will pay to get rid of him.

How is he going to handle it if he blows a playoff series, possibly even the World Series and Dodger fans hate him? ESPN, YouTube, etc. would be showing clips of him blowing the World Series over and over again while some guy is celebrating after hitting a home run off of him and becoming a hero.

Some guys never recover from that.

Prior to his appearance in that YouTube Game of the Week they showed a greatest hits reel of all his failures in the World Series. It's astonishing that he's even still on the team, let alone with another chance to ruin a season.

Sadly, I think if they were going to try him out in a lower leverage role the time for that has passed.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Ideally for us, the best scenario we can hope for is to overcome is crap this postseason, win the whole thing and then designate his ass for assignment.

Well, best case scenario would be for him to regain his old form, but I think we all know 2016 Kenley ain't walking through that door anytime soon.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Ideally for us, the best scenario we can hope for is to overcome is crap this postseason, win the whole thing and then designate his ass for assignment.

Well, best case scenario would be for him to regain his old form, but I think we all know 2016 Kenley ain't walking through that door anytime soon.

Think about that logic for a minute.

We can win the WS with Jansen as our closer this year... however, he can't be on the roster next year.

That's so backwards. Anyone that can't make the roster next year shouldn't be making the postseason roster this year.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

We can win the WS with Jansen as our closer this year... however, he can't be on the roster next year.

That's so backwards. Anyone that can't make the roster next year shouldn't be making the postseason roster this year.

Well, my belief is that to win, we'll have to win in spite of him blowing a few games throughout the playoffs.

I mean, we have won 98 games with him as our closer this year so we have overcome his ineptitude much of this season.

I do agree the logic is so backwards, but we all know that there is no way he isn't included on the playoff roster so we just gotta hope for the best or to overcome his struggles.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Well, my belief is that to win, we'll have to win in spite of him blowing a few games throughout the playoffs.

I mean, we have won 98 games with him as our closer this year so we have overcome his ineptitude much of this season.

I do agree the logic is so backwards, but we all know that there is no way he isn't included on the playoff roster so we just gotta hope for the best or to overcome his struggles.

Yup. He'll be on the roster.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

He's owed 18 and 20 million. They will have to pay a lot. Maybe if they leave him off the playoff roster he will get so mad he will opt out. lol just dreaming.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Kenley is garbage

I am glad he admitted that
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Glaser: Stubbornness Clouds Dodgers Judgement With Kenley Jansen

LOS ANGELES — The Dodgers are being stubborn about Kenley Jansen.

That’s it. Cut and dried. Stubbornness is what is keeping Jansen in the closer’s role, not performance, and it’s costing the Dodgers games.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/stubbornness-clouds-dodgers-judgment-with-kenley-jansen/

Quote:
A 10-Step Guide For Dodgers To Get Through October With Kenley Jansen

5. Try Kenley in an earlier inning. The fifth, the sixth or the seventh; as an experiment over the remaining week and a half of the regular season.

10. If you are a religious or spiritual person, pray. If you are not religious or spiritual person, pray.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardcole/2019/09/19/a-10-step-guide-for-dodgers-to-get-through-october-with-kenley-jansen/#415995b3d955
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Were they honestly expecting him to turn it around? That's what I can't figure out. The time to have experimented was weeks ago, but better late than never, I suppose.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Hope is not a plan. And that's what they have been doing hoping he gets it. He's not going to get it. I understand you owe the guy 38 million. Don't give him the ball.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
another blown loss coming hard... these playoffs look very bleak with our bullpen

appears to me every other NL contender has more holes than a suspect bullpen when matched up against the Dodgers

Unfortunately blown saves/leads/games have had a HUGE impact on the Dodgers postseason going back to at least 1985. Tom Niedenfuer cost the Dodgers games 5 and 6 of the NLCS, Mets were up 2-1 in the 88 and Scoscia tied it in the 9th with a HR off starter Dwight Gooden and helped make it a 2-2 series instead of 3-1, we all remember the Gibson HR off Eckersely, Broxton lost the NLCS 2 years in a row with blown saves, Jansen/Kershaw saved game 5 against the Nationals in the Division Series, Jansen blew games 2 and 5 of the 2017 World Series, and game 4 of the 2018 World Series giving Boston a 3-1 series lead.

Notice how the one year the Dodgers were on the right side most often, the team won it all.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
another blown loss coming hard... these playoffs look very bleak with our bullpen

appears to me every other NL contender has more holes than a suspect bullpen when matched up against the Dodgers

Unfortunately blown saves/leads/games have had a HUGE impact on the Dodgers postseason going back to at least 1985. Tom Niedenfuer cost the Dodgers games 5 and 6 of the NLCS, Mets were up 2-1 in the 88 and Scoscia tied it in the 9th with a HR off starter Dwight Gooden and helped make it a 2-2 series instead of 3-1, we all remember the Gibson HR off Eckersely, Broxton lost the NLCS 2 years in a row with blown saves, Jansen/Kershaw saved game 5 against the Nationals in the Division Series, Jansen blew games 2 and 5 of the 2017 World Series, and game 4 of the 2018 World Series giving Boston a 3-1 series lead.

Notice how the one year the Dodgers were on the right side most often, the team won it all.

Well, Kershaw actually blew Game 5 of the World Series, let's be clear. (The Dodgers had literally never lost a game in his entire career when he had been given a 4-run lead.) Jansen came into a tie game and gave up a run in his second inning of work, and that inning fell apart after he hit Brian McCann.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Well, Kershaw actually blew Game 5 of the World Series, let's be clear. (The Dodgers had literally never lost a game in his entire career when he had been given a 4-run lead.) Jansen came into a tie game and gave up a run in his second inning of work, and that inning fell apart after he hit Brian McCann.

That’s true. It was a tougher situation than usual for Jansen. But it was also a horrible series for him and if he gets just one more out in game 5, the game goes to the 11th inning and the Dodgers possibly win. We’ll never know.

Some of these losses/blown saves happened when the team tried to get 2 innings out of the closer. But in the postseason, sometimes a team needs a closer to pitch more than 1 inning. No way Jansen can do that anymore with the way he struggles when he only pitches a single inning.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

^
Put simply, if our all-World closer doesn't blow a save in Game 2--giving up a HR on an 0-2 pitch, no less--we're in a commanding position with a 2-0 series lead, and teams that win the first 2 games at home in the 2-3-2 format win the Series 89% of the time. And if our all-World starter doesn't literally do something he had never done in his entire career before, we take a 3-2 series lead heading home for two games if needed, and teams in that position win the Series well over 80% of the time. Or, put another way, if our two all-World pitchers had just done their job, we win that series in 5 games.

We really should have won that series and blew it. It was our time, and the Astros' inexperience should have been the difference. You can say what you want about Bellinger not hitting well in that series and many other things, but our two best pitchers (at that time) spit the bit at absolutely critical junctures.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

it's kind of funny for a front office so focus on saber metrics, you would think human emotion would be the last thing to play a role on the Jansen saga. so part of me thinking this is all on Roberts. he's backing up Jansen for whatever reason only God knows. if Jansen causes us another WS title this year, both Roberts and him should be gone.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Glaser: Stubbornness Clouds Dodgers Judgement With Kenley Jansen

LOS ANGELES — The Dodgers are being stubborn about Kenley Jansen.

That’s it. Cut and dried. Stubbornness is what is keeping Jansen in the closer’s role, not performance, and it’s costing the Dodgers games.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/stubbornness-clouds-dodgers-judgment-with-kenley-jansen/

Wow, Kenley is becoming a punchline out there.

Quote:
A 10-Step Guide For Dodgers To Get Through October With Kenley Jansen

5. Try Kenley in an earlier inning. The fifth, the sixth or the seventh; as an experiment over the remaining week and a half of the regular season.

10. If you are a religious or spiritual person, pray. If you are not religious or spiritual person, pray.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardcole/2019/09/19/a-10-step-guide-for-dodgers-to-get-through-october-with-kenley-jansen/#415995b3d955

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Any of you guys big Dodger fans in the 1970's? I guess that would be at least over 50 years old. I was listening to a podcast recently with Marty Brennaman and he was talking about the 70's Reds & Dodgers rivalry being one of the most legit rivalries that ever existed in professional sports. He spoke about how the players truly disliked each other, and compared it to "rivalries" today like the Yankees and Red Sox which he suggested is more media driven than the two teams players driving the rivalry.

I became a fan in the '80's and I recall the Reds and Dodgers being in the old NL West, but did not realize how strong the rivalry was in the 1970's. I think besides 1971 (Giants), either the Reds or Dodgers won the NL West every year during the decade and represented the NL in the World Series all but 3 years during the decade.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Dodgers have options. Joe Kelly has a 2.53 ERA since the start of June while holding batters to a .179 average. Pedro Baez has a 2.52 ERA and .159 opponent average in his last 25 appearances. Yimi Garcia has a 2.66 ERA since the start of August.

Are they really going to leave him off the roster? Forbes guy has Stripling making the cut.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Put simply, if our all-World closer doesn't blow a save in Game 2--giving up a HR on an 0-2 pitch, no less--we're in a commanding position with a 2-0 series lead, and teams that win the first 2 games at home in the 2-3-2 format win the Series 89% of the time. And if our all-World starter doesn't literally do something he had never done in his entire career before, we take a 3-2 series lead heading home for two games if needed, and teams in that position win the Series well over 80% of the time. Or, put another way, if our two all-World pitchers had just done their job, we win that series in 5 games.

We really should have won that series and blew it. It was our time, and the Astros' inexperience should have been the difference. You can say what you want about Bellinger not hitting well in that series and many other things, but our two best pitchers (at that time) spit the bit at absolutely critical junctures.

This really still depresses me. We were so freakin' close to winning it all that year.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

This really still depresses me. We were so freakin' close to winning it all that year.

I keep thinking how we should have won game 2, 3, and 5. Game 7 was a toss up although that 5-spot did not help at all. But Kenley blowing game 2, Darvish blowing game 3 (and 7), and Kershaw (and Kenley to an extent) blowing game 5 kills me. We gave 3 games away and still almost won the damn series. What a choke job.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I keep thinking how we should have won game 2, 3, and 5. Game 7 was a toss up although that 5-spot did not help at all. But Kenley blowing game 2, Darvish blowing game 3 (and 7), and Kershaw (and Kenley to an extent) blowing game 5 kills me. We gave 3 games away and still almost won the damn series. What a choke job.

And then Roberts sending Darvish back out there for the 2nd inning of Game 7 was a killer. It was abundantly clear, again, that he didn't have it after the first inning. He was actually lucky that he only gave up 2 runs in the first inning. With how shaky Lance McCullers was, a 2-0 deficit wasn't a crushing blow. In fact, even after being down 5-0 thanks to Darvish, we still mounted a bunch of rallies on the shaky McCullers but when you're down 5-0 in an elimination game, you can press, and that's what we did and he kept wiggling out of it before AJ Hinch turned it over to his bullpen. If Roberts yanks Darvish after one inning, maybe it's a different result. Who knows.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

And then Roberts sending Darvish back out there for the 2nd inning of Game 7 was a killer. It was abundantly clear, again, that he didn't have it after the first inning. He was actually lucky that he only gave up 2 runs in the first inning. With how shaky Lance McCullers was, a 2-0 deficit wasn't a crushing blow. In fact, even after being down 5-0 thanks to Darvish, we still mounted a bunch of rallies on the shaky McCullers but when you're down 5-0 in an elimination game, you can press, and that's what we did and he kept wiggling out of it before AJ Hinch turned it over to his bullpen. If Roberts yanks Darvish after one inning, maybe it's a different result. Who knows.

Your synopsis of that series makes me sick . Gawd...sooooo close...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The Cubs have now lost back-to-back heartbreakers to the Cardinals by one run, and they are in trouble. Now 5 back of the Cards, winning the division is basically donezo, and the Brewers' remaining schedule is absolute cake. Currently 1.5 behind the Brewers, their best chance might be to catch the Nationals, whom they are 2.5 behind at the moment. The problem with that is that the Nats play their next 3 against the Marlins. The Nats close with a 5-game series (including a doubleheader next Tuesday) against the Phillies and then a 3-game set against an Indians team that could very well be clawing for a postseason berth, too. The good news for the Nats is that all 8 of those games are at home. The Cubs still have 2 more in this series against the Cards, and their final series of the year is a 3-game set at St. Louis. (They get the Pirates in a 3-game set before the final series, and those 3 will be must-wins.) If the Cards have clinched by then and are locked into the #3 seed, perhaps the Cubs will catch a break, but there's no guarantee of that since the Brewers remain 3 games behind them and have their 9 remaining games against the Pirates, Reds, and Rockies. Their 2 toughest games will be at Cincy in starts made by Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo. If the Brewers can go 7-2 in that stretch, it will likely put the pressure on the Cards during the final weekend series of the year.

So yeah, the Cubbies are in trouble. They've lost 4 straight and the next 2 games against St. Louis are practically must-wins for them.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Wow...Kershaw serving up BP tonight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 120 of 248
Jump to: