real quick. Rondo's decision with 13 sec left.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

heheh. so much for "real quick."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
With 13 seconds or so left, how was there not enough time left?

It takes let's say 1 full second to foul, that leave 12 seconds.

Let's assume they make both.

You have 12 seconds to score a 3 and tie it. You have to get the ball to the other side of the court in 8 seconds.

So worst case scenario you have 4 seconds with the ball in the halfcourt to get off a 3.

Doable.

I was going by Mychal Thompson saying there was three seconds... but looking at that footage... he looks like he thought about it, did the math... kicked it back out for the 34% chance. It looked worse than it was but he passed it to a good three point shooter Hart... who passed to LBJ... who missed and they still had a shot at an offensive rebound which makes the odds a little better than 34%

If he makes it... then they have to foul and run a play full court against a Spurs defense which now has time to prepare to defend.

Bottom line... it wasn't crazy what he did... I can see both sides.

Three seconds?

It was insane what he did. He had the ball with NO ONE around him with 12.7 secs to go. He was literally the only player in the paint.

That is plenty of time to foul, and then, bring the ball back and potentially tie it with a 2 or a 3.

What if Luke's instructions were - we're going for 3?

That wouldnt be smart so it wouldnt surprise me, but he is our vet and supposed to be the smartest guy on the court.

Wasnt very smart there.

If we had a time out... then yes, I agree it would have been the smartest move to go for 2... go for the steal... then foul.

But with no timeouts... you are going from a chaotic situation 23 feet away to a chaotic situation 94 feet away.

Again, I already conceded that I see your guys points... I'm simply saying I can see what went through Rondo's mind as well, and it wasn't that terrible.

It was that terrible. If he saw a man wide open from three, then it would be understandable. But he nearly lost the ball and threw it to Josh Hart who was heavily covered. Hart didn’t even have a chance at getting a good look. With more than ten seconds left, there’s no excuse to not take the wide open layup.

He definitely botched the pass... but then he was wide open for a shot of his own. Hart forced it to LBJ... not even considering Rondo as an option.

He was facing the basket... the lightbulb went on (or off, depending on your perspective)... turns around only to see Hart and Bron are covered (by which time it's too late to go back) he fumbles a pass trying to get to Hart... Hart is covered and looks for Bron... Rondo moves into shooting postion with no one guarding him. I think the clumsy play made it worse than it looked.

As I said, I see your points... but in principle going for a three with no timeouts wasn't so bad. The execution was the shabby part.

Well of course the execution was the shabby part -- that's what we're discussing no?

Ideally, if you get a GOOD look from 3, sure, take it. Alternatively, if you can get a QUICK two, then, you take it.

The worst possible scenario, would be to have a wide open two, under the basket with no defender even in the paint, and ignore that shot to kick it out to a defended teammate on the perimeter. That kills clock and forces a low percentage shot.

And that's what happened.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: