Patience?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Patience?

Direct quote from Lebron James recently.

"We talk about patience but you can't have reoccurrence of the same thing," James told reporters after the loss to the Timberwolves. "If you are doing the same things over and over and over and expecting the same result then that's insanity.

"So we have to get better. We can't keep having the same mistakes over and over."

Lebron James himself seems to be reflecting the same sentiment I've been expressing, in that patience without progress is deflection.

For the past few years, we here in Lakerland have developed what I consider is a losers-mentality, and we don't even know it. We see our beloved Lakers commit the same mistakes over and over. We see them fail to progress in an impactful way, and we constantly make excuses for this lack of proficiency.

This acceptance of being subpar is our loser-mentality, and it has become our scar, of sorts. It has become our go-to excuse, our crutch, our veil against reality.

I see a Denver team, without superstars, work hard enough to become a playoff caliber team. I see a Sacramento team, without stars, pull themselves up from the cellar last year to become competitive. I see a Spurs team, having their best players leave, and yet they are proving to be as proficient as always. I see a New Orleans team build their way up to being a finals caliber team in just a season or two. I see a Clippers team go through a rebuild, and yet they still consistently have a better record than our Lakers. On and on, this happens. Milwaukee, Detroit, Utah, using their high draft picks to become better teams, playoff teams.

And then I see my Lakers. Faltering, year after year. No playoffs, far belove .500. And all I read here on LG is "be patient".

Be patient, Kobe will get healthy soon.
Be patient, we have too many injuries right now.
Be patient, Randle will develop his game
Be patient, DLO is learning the PG spot.
Be patient, Lonzo is just a rookie.
Be patient, Lebron has to learn about his new team, and vice versa.

Excuses. Nothing but excuses...and being in last place.

I love having Lebron here. I love the development of our four-core. But I truly fear that Lebron, one of the best players ever, someone so use to winning, is going to get angry soon if we keep losing games.

And lets face it, our schedule isn't going to get easier. In an earlier thread, I predicted a 3-7 start, and we are well on our way to getting there.

Yes, Lebron may say all the right things behind the scenes, about building an developing our four-core. But lately, he's been using the media to vent his frustrations. I tell you, this is the start. And if we don't move forward, patience to him will me the same as it does to me...a copout.

Champions don't do "be patient" very well.

Things are going to explode in Lakerland if we don't start winning. Being patient is great to placate the loser-mentality we've developed as fans, but it won't work with winners like Lebron James.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

I get this.

I'm a 30+ year Lakers fan and the last 5 years killed me. But I remained patient and still love the Lakers.

We just got a top FA when for the past 3-4 offseasons every refused to be here. It is part of a process. Our new FO is literally 1.5 full seasons in and you want them to be winning championships RIGHT NOW?

I do agree that at some point, the patience will run thin. For me personally that's 2019-20 when I know we will have our core in place.

What hurt this team and the expectations thereafter is not getting a 2nd star. We do not have one after LBJ and it's 100% clear he needs another all star level player to pick up the slack as he is 33 years old.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a 'request' for trading the youth... sigh. Was hoping to keep both LBJ and the four young guns then add the max
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject:

I agree with Bron....Can't keep making the same mistakes. Walton has to be on a short leash...all this talk about defense, defense and here we are biggest problem defense. Fix it! Also the FO has to be accountable too for not addressing a back up center. McGee leaves the game and it's a lay-up drill. Beasley obviously hasn't panned out...and the John Williams project is ridiculous. Have to play much better until 12/15, when we can finally deal for a legit back up big.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

Signing James was contradictory from the beginning.

Patience for development or impatience because the James clock is ticking?

Patience for adding a free agent next season or impatience to add them now by using assets?

Patience for James to enjoy his Farewell Tour (for at least 3 years) as a businessman and Laker or the impatience of meeting the overhyped expectations of winning and competing?

This is all just part of the James circus. Enjoy the ride...good and bad!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Patience for adding a free agent next season or impatience to add them now by using assets?

Patience for James to enjoy his Farewell Tour (for at least 3 years) as a businessman and Laker or the impatience of meeting the overhyped expectations of winning and competing?

I think the signing is fine. The problem was not getting a 2nd all star. We all thought it was PG13 AND keeping most of the young core. That would have been a fundamentally different team IMO.

Boston is doing the same thing. Horford is an expensive and aging all star, with 2 younger higher paid all stars in Kyrie/Hayward + young core.

We have 1 all star + a young core, but no all star vets to bridge the gap.

That is what's missing from the otherwise sound plan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

I will admit that if we don't get a 2nd all star level player to join LBJ in 2019, then yes, this may be a bit more problematic as we should be chasing rings at some point.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I agree with Bron....Can't keep making the same mistakes. Walton has to be on a short leash...all this talk about defense, defense and here we are biggest problem defense. Fix it! Also the FO has to be accountable too for not addressing a back up center. McGee leaves the game and it's a lay-up drill. Beasley obviously hasn't panned out...and the John Williams project is ridiculous. Have to play much better until 12/15, when we can finally deal for a legit back up big.

Couldn't agree more. The small ball James at center (or as the physical C/PF presence) concept was flawed from the beginning. Continuing to rely on it is folly.

The defensive woes can not be placed solely on Walton. At the moment James is as weak a link on defense as the missing paint presence. Until they are able to address this it will "be repeating the same mistakes" for 37mpg won't it?

Personally I would prefer James playing 28-30mpg with more energetic defense then him saving himself for the offensive end.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

I want to know who he's blaming cause i know it aint himself
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

By he way, aren't the Rockets 1-5??
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think the signing is fine. The problem was not getting a 2nd all star. We all thought it was PG13 AND keeping most of the young core. That would have been a fundamentally different team IMO.

If we had - Ball, Hart, George, James, McGee

We might not have a loss right now .. seriously

And before anybody says “hes only shooting x amount this year” i dont really want to hear that lol he would fit perfectly in this system
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Boston is doing the same thing. Horford is an expensive and aging all star, with 2 younger higher paid all stars in Kyrie/Hayward + young core.

Problem with comparing to Boston is they are not building around and relying on their "high paid aging All-Star" as the foundation of the entire plan.

Another concern is how patient can the FO, James and fans be? Is this year a development year pending adding a FA next summer? Or will the impatience cause a questionable reactive mid season trade?

Patience takes on many forms. Since the signing of James it takes on a different context in order to fulfill the expectations of the hurricane that James brings to a team.

Been saying this for over a year. James is a risky signing for a lot of reasons. Only a few games in we are seeing some of the shine coming off the new toy.

Now the real fun begins! I continue to hope the Lakers can pull sound plan off. Lakers have committed to this path for the next 3 years at least. Patience is need by all. Including myself.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Problem with comparing to Boston is they are not building around and relying on their "high paid aging All-Star" as the foundation of the entire plan.

Another concern is how patient can the FO, James and fans be? Is this year a development year pending adding a FA next summer? Or will the impatience cause a questionable reactive mid season trade?

Patience takes on many forms. Since the signing of James it takes on a different context in order to fulfill the expectations of the hurricane that James brings to a team.

Been saying this for over a year. James is a risky signing for a lot of reasons. Only a few games in we are seeing some of the shine coming off the new toy.

Now the real fun begins! I continue to hope the Lakers can pull sound plan off. Lakers have committed to this path for the next 3 years at least. Patience is need by all. Including myself.

They are relying on Horford. IMO he's the most valuable piece of the team with Tatum second. Did you see how he defanged Embiid in the playoffs? And he will soon be eligible for a hefty new contract. Not as big of a name as LBJ, but the concept is the same. They signed/traded for 3 proven all-stars and have a promising young core.

We signed 1 all star but were unable to sign a 2nd one (but may be able to in 2019). That is why I remain patient as I will give them until next season to bring that final puzzle piece.

I personally did not think this team was a championship contender level team, but one that could get in the 50-52 win range.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

Calm down. Panic date is December 25.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

Man, this is rich. Maybe he'll stop bricking shots in the 4th quarter and watching his team get out rebounded all game. Because I'm definitely seeing that every night from him. If he was playing perfect basketball then he'd have some room to talk. But even then, he shouldn't say that. A true leader takes it upon himself even when he's not to blame.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

If people are too close to LeBron when he losses it, patience is gonna lead to patients.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

jmnluvr wrote:
Man, this is rich. Maybe he'll stop bricking shots in the 4th quarter and watching his team get out rebounded all game. Because I'm definitely seeing that every night from him. If he was playing perfect basketball then he'd have some room to talk. But even then, he shouldn't say that. A true leader takes it upon himself even when he's not to blame.

"We talk about patience but you can't have reoccurrence of the same thing," James told reporters after the loss to the Timberwolves. "If you are doing the same things over and over and over and expecting the same result then that's insanity.

"So we have to get better. We can't keep having the same mistakes over and over."

Looks to me he's saying "we." Himself included. Where do you see him pointing the finger at someone else?
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I want to know who he's blaming cause i know it aint himself

He said "we" have to get better.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

What is considered panic? If fighting for the 8th seed and chance to get swept by GS is panic, it might be a little earlier. If you are happy with that scenario, maybe December.

The Thunder were 4 games under .500 at the end of November and were able to get to the 4/5 spot. Christmas will be 32+ games (? -haven't counted), gotta be over .500 and working on a strong 10 game stretch once we get to that point.

Also, I don't like the word panic, I would say discouraged if that doesn't happen.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

And this is why we're not seeing improvements.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
jmnluvr wrote:

Looks to me he's saying "we." Himself included. Where do you see him pointing the finger at someone else?

So he's just one of the guys? Is that why we brought him here?

This is clearly a loaded use of "we". Why didn't he just say I?

When Lebron talks, he knows that people listen. He's trying to send a message. Let's be real.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
By he way, aren't the Rockets 1-5??

So? The Kings are 5-3.

I mean, I never understood this. Because the Rockets are struggling, what does that mean as it relates to our team? If we were 5-3 and the Kings were 5-3, what would that have to do with our team? Nothing.

Either we're failing to meet, meeting, or exceeding expectations. For me, so far, we're failing to meet expectations. The team isn't playing that well, outside of McGee and Lance, no one is really exceeding my expectations in terms of their individual play, we make the same mistakes game in and game out.

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if we lost tonight, although I am totally expecting and hoping for a win.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

We're still 1 game ahead of Cavs
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

jmnluvr wrote:
King Randle wrote:
jmnluvr wrote:

So he's just one of the guys? Is that why we brought him here?

This is clearly a loaded use of "we". Why didn't he just say I?

When Lebron talks, he knows that people listen. He's trying to send a message. Let's be real.

Proof is not in what James is saying. It will be how he adjusts on court.

They all need to improve their defensive communication and intensity. But it will start with James. I prefer he stop playing ASG defense and the young guys will follow his example.

Show us tonight!

Start by keeping Dallas under their season average of 111 pts. Win the damn game. Prove to us why you are the best player in the League and the leader of the Lakers by leading the way on the court not in a press conference.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

I have no patience, have been patient enough. You can tell me be patient with a young team learning the ropes but not when you have the best player in the NBA on your roster. If you got that player you had to get players around him to win NOW. What patience? Dude is 33 going to be 34, when are we going to try to contend when hes 36? Makes no sense!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: