ESPN: Luke takes heat from Magic for Lakers' start[Update: Magic "Luke will finish season, unless something drastic happens"]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 15304

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
You know what's a scary thought? Magic is a Laker fanatic like all of us, and he's doing what we like to do all the time, which is Monday morning QB'ing. Except, he actually has the power to make rash decisions. LOL!


This is an accurate assessment of Magic. He was an awful talking head with a horrendous track record.


Magic's $600M net worth begs to differ.
Michael jordan is worth over a billion. Doesn't make him a great FO guy.

Net worth don't mean squat when it comes to managing a team.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 3143

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
You know what's a scary thought? Magic is a Laker fanatic like all of us, and he's doing what we like to do all the time, which is Monday morning QB'ing. Except, he actually has the power to make rash decisions. LOL!


This is an accurate assessment of Magic. He was an awful talking head with a horrendous track record.

Like?


Google is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 15033

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LG posters have called Lakers front office members idiots since Dr. Buss died.
RIP miss ya Dr. Buss


It seems like everything went to (bleep) after JB died. Miss him.


That was the fear when a successful businessman leaves that business to his children who didn’t earn it. Sometimes it works out but often it doesn’t.


All of the kids are there purely because of nepotism but in fairness to them, the league has eliminated several of the advantages the Lakers had during Jerry's reign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1943

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
I disagree.

And I think there is a way to call him out without using lazy labels like idiot while still being respectful...

I do find it interesting the posters ready to defend their 1st Amendment rights without considering how it may make them look to this community in the process.

But why care about silly things like how we present ourselves...why should demonstrating self-respect by respecting those around us matter when I'm mad now because a team I like isn't playing well? I have a right to vent without consequence because 'the Internet' right?



I agree about throwing around words like “idiot.” I agree that some people come off poorly because they go way overboard venting their frustration or disappointment. However, if you are saying that everyone needs to be respectful to Magic because he loves the Lakers, etc., you’re likely to be disappointed.


I'm actually saying that when a person uses the word idiot to describe an all-time great...he's actually calling himself that. This is a community board...we all love the team...respect is something that we all are capable of.

Pretty simple..respectful disagreements are healthy...lazy name calling ain't.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1943

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:


Neither is being young and ignorant...but it is interesting how both stereotypes seem to correlate more often than not as you continue to prove.


Ahem.



Yep...I was pretty sure I'd get the tap on the shoulder soon.

Noted and Respected.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 2906

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
You know what's a scary thought? Magic is a Laker fanatic like all of us, and he's doing what we like to do all the time, which is Monday morning QB'ing. Except, he actually has the power to make rash decisions. LOL!


This is an accurate assessment of Magic. He was an awful talking head with a horrendous track record.


Magic's $600M net worth begs to differ.
Michael jordan is worth over a billion. Doesn't make him a great FO guy.

Net worth don't mean squat when it comes to managing a team.


Well, Donald Sterling was worth more than Magic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Posts: 132
Location: 92115

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
I disagree.

And I think there is a way to call him out without using lazy labels like idiot while still being respectful...

I do find it interesting the posters ready to defend their 1st Amendment rights without considering how it may make them look to this community in the process.

But why care about silly things like how we present ourselves...why should demonstrating self-respect by respecting those around us matter when I'm mad now because a team I like isn't playing well? I have a right to vent without consequence because 'the Internet' right?



I agree about throwing around words like “idiot.” I agree that some people come off poorly because they go way overboard venting their frustration or disappointment. However, if you are saying that everyone needs to be respectful to Magic because he loves the Lakers, etc., you’re likely to be disappointed.


I'm actually saying that when a person uses the word idiot to describe an all-time great...he's actually calling himself that. This is a community board...we all love the team...respect is something that we all are capable of.

Pretty simple..respectful disagreements are healthy...lazy name calling ain't.


Lazy reading, over simplistic and dishonest representations, and impoverished critical thinking skills are far worse. But you keep being you.
_________________
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41732

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

So, we'll see. If Luke stays on board and he actually becomes a better coach, then I'm wrong. But, my philosophy is, Magic can't make Luke Walton a better coach. Not by yelling at him.


I get your point.

But anyone who has played sports knows that if you lose, the heat gets turned up.

There is nothing wrong with Magic doing that, I think it could actually change some of Luke's coaching behaviors by holding the players to a higher standard and not being buddy buddy all the time.

Magic is a winner and a leader, growing pains are never easy and sometimes feelings get hurt and pieces get discarded along the way to get where you need to go.

I am 100% behind Magic.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 2906

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

So, we'll see. If Luke stays on board and he actually becomes a better coach, then I'm wrong. But, my philosophy is, Magic can't make Luke Walton a better coach. Not by yelling at him.


I get your point.

But anyone who has played sports knows that if you lose, the heat gets turned up.

There is nothing wrong with Magic doing that, I think it could actually change some of Luke's coaching behaviors by holding the players to a higher standard and not being buddy buddy all the time.

Magic is a winner and a leader, growing pains are never easy and sometimes feelings get hurt and pieces get discarded along the way to get where you need to go.

I am 100% behind Magic.


Yeah, that part - I totally agree. If it's about how Luke is coaching, that's fine by me.

Things like, you have to get on their case, or make them come in early, rules and stuff. Those things I totally get. Getting on his case for a lack of discipline, no problem. Because those things are universal to all coaches. So, anything that's universal to all coaches, I don't mind. Those are coaching habits.

But, when you're talking about offensive schemes, and set plays, I don't know how yelling improves that. I don't know how you can make a coach scheme better by yelling at him. So that's my issue. Things that aren't fixable by yelling. But the things that are fixable, by all means, yell away.

And I'll give an example with players. Yelling at Shaq for missing free throws. That would make no sense to me and I'd take issue with that. If everytime Shaq misses a free throw, you berate him, that doesn't help. You can't make a person a better free throw shooter by simply yelling at him everytime he misses. You can get on his case for his practice habits and things like that, but actually missing free throws in games - nothing you can do.

Also, a coach is in a leadership position. That means that in order for it to work, you need everyone under you to totally buy into what you're saying/teaching/preaching. How many times do you watch the NFL and when they ask the players how they're going to attack their next opponent, they say "I don't know but I trust our coaching staff will come up with the correct schemes and it's our job to execute them."

So, you have to be careful in how you treat a coach, because you don't want him to lose his players. The more Magic dresses down Luke, the less respect he'll get from the players.

So, that's my point of view. You can't fix bad offensive schemes by yelling. It's not LaVar Ball's motto - just yell it into existence.

And my position has nothing to do with "feelings getting hurt." The goal is to make Luke become a better coach. Whatever way possible, then do it, I'll support it. So, if Magic yelling at Luke indeed makes him a better coach, then I have no issue. My philosophy is that, yelling at a coach actually makes him do worse. (Just like yelling at Shaq for missing fts). Especially if it's about his offensive schemes. But, if Luke actually turns out to become a great coach then I'll admit that my thinking was wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Posts: 3999
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Is the FO being unfair in hurrying up the development of these young players and not let it grow organically? Even, Kobe took 3-4 years to develop fully imo.

Is this a fair statement?
_________________
Let's Go Lakers!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 3949

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 13081
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Posts: 3999
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


Same here. He is not Popovic style but I see him castigate, Kuz, JC, and Randle through the media last year.
_________________
Let's Go Lakers!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41732

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up


Would you not say Luke is a "players coach"?

I thought that was his whole deal, not his experience obviously.

Or am I just "backing up my point" with all kinds of (bleep) again?

You can do better, try harder.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 3949

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
danzag wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up


Would you not say Luke is a "players coach"?

I thought that was his whole deal, not his experience obviously.

Or am I just "backing up my point" with all kinds of (bleep) again?

You can do better, try harder.

Ah, so in your estimation, a "player's coach" and being "buddy buddy" are the same thing. Interesting.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jan 2002
Posts: 6674
Location: Los Angeles/Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
danzag wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up


Would you not say Luke is a "players coach"?

I thought that was his whole deal, not his experience obviously.

Or am I just "backing up my point" with all kinds of (bleep) again?

You can do better, try harder.

Ah, so in your estimation, a "player's coach" and being "buddy buddy" are the same thing. Interesting.


It is, that's why players like Luke. He's very easy on them. He's their friend. That's fine.

But guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley preached a different kind of relationship with players. You know why Luke is a player's coach? Because he gave the opportunity to KCP to start at the beginning of the season because he thought it was only fair to KCP since he was the starter last year. He's also doing strange (bleep) like starting Lonzo and then benching him for the fourth. He keeps trying to balance playing time instead of settling on a good rotation. There's a reason why he was playing so many rotations. It's not to figure out what works... every hardcore fan in here knew who the main rotation players were going to be:

LB, BI, Kuz, Hart, JaVale, Lonzo, Rondo.

We all knew this instinctively, from pre-season/training camp, yet what did Luke do? He played KCP, Lance, etc. significant minutes in the beginning of the season and played strange rotations. The guy needs to grow a pair and deliver tough messages to players, instead of forcing them to play themselves out of the rotation. That's why he's a player's coach, he doesn't say, "well I'm going to sit you, because we need to win" he says, "here's your opportunity to play and if you play poorly, well it's not my fault to bench you". No Luke. You only play your best players.


Last edited by methdxman on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 1561

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
danzag wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up


Would you not say Luke is a "players coach"?

I thought that was his whole deal, not his experience obviously.

Or am I just "backing up my point" with all kinds of (bleep) again?

You can do better, try harder.

Ah, so in your estimation, a "player's coach" and being "buddy buddy" are the same thing. Interesting.


It is, that's why players like Luke. He's very easy on them. He's their friend. That's fine.

But guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley preached a different kind of relationship with players. You know why Luke is a player's coach? Because he gave the opportunity to KCP to start at the beginning of the season because he thought it was only fair to KCP since he was the starter last year. He's also doing strange (bleep) like starting Lonzo and then benching him for the fourth. He keeps trying to balance playing time instead of settling on a good rotation. There's a reason why he was playing so many rotations. It's not to figure out what works... every hardcore fan in here knew who the main rotation players were going to be:

LB, BI, Kuz, Hart, JaVale, Lonzo, Rondo.

We all knew this instinctively, from pre-season/training camp, yet what did Luke do? He played KCP, Lance, etc. significant minutes in the beginning of the season and played strange rotations. The guy needs to grow a pair and deliver tough messages to players, instead of forcing them to play themselves out of the rotation. That's why he's a player's coach, he doesn't say, "well I'm going to sit you, because we need to win" he says, "here's your opportunity to play and if you play poorly, well it's not my fault to bench you". No Luke. You only play your best players.


Luke is a goner...
_________________
“There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.” ―Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 3949

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
danzag wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't get this perception of Luke being ”buddy buddy” with the players at all. When does this even happen?


People come up with all sorts of (bleep) to back their points up


Would you not say Luke is a "players coach"?

I thought that was his whole deal, not his experience obviously.

Or am I just "backing up my point" with all kinds of (bleep) again?

You can do better, try harder.

Ah, so in your estimation, a "player's coach" and being "buddy buddy" are the same thing. Interesting.


It is, that's why players like Luke. He's very easy on them. He's their friend. That's fine.

But guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley preached a different kind of relationship with players. You know why Luke is a player's coach? Because he gave the opportunity to KCP to start at the beginning of the season because he thought it was only fair to KCP since he was the starter last year. He's also doing strange (bleep) like starting Lonzo and then benching him for the fourth. He keeps trying to balance playing time instead of settling on a good rotation. There's a reason why he was playing so many rotations. It's not to figure out what works... every hardcore fan in here knew who the main rotation players were going to be:

LB, BI, Kuz, Hart, JaVale, Lonzo, Rondo.

We all knew this instinctively, from pre-season/training camp, yet what did Luke do? He played KCP, Lance, etc. significant minutes in the beginning of the season and played strange rotations. The guy needs to grow a pair and deliver tough messages to players, instead of forcing them to play themselves out of the rotation. That's why he's a player's coach, he doesn't say, "well I'm going to sit you, because we need to win" he says, "here's your opportunity to play and if you play poorly, well it's not my fault to bench you". No Luke. You only play your best players.

Please explain how being a player's coach and being "buddy buddy" is the same thing. The reason I don't agree with that is because "buddy buddy" is a negative. It's interpersonal weakness. It means that you want to be liked so much that you throw discipline and accountability out the window and avoid confrontation.

None of that is true of a player's coach. "Player's coach" is simply a style of coaching. They're not yelling and screaming all the time or acting like an authoritarian General of an army. And they know how to relate to their players and prioritize having good rapport with their players. But that isn't weakness. Nor is it being a pushover who has little to no regard for establishing team discipline and avoiding accountability.

Do you people look at your phones when you can clearly see Luke getting on guys when he's angry with them? Did you not notice that he immediately yanked Lance after that possession in the second quarter where he got the rebound, went full iso, and then took a wild shot at the rim? No one else even touched the ball on the possession. He had it for basically 20 seconds. Luke took him out and never put him back in for the rest of the game. Do explain what's "buddy buddy" about that.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Typically what Magic likes to do. He says one thing but expects/does another. He said he comes to develop young players but then he sacrifices young players for cap space. He says he wants us to play high IQ basketball but sign players who don't acquire high basketball IQ. I never trust what he says.


Same, I have absolutely zero confidence with Magic at the helm. Jeanie either. She shoulda done her due diligence in who to bring in to lead and build this team. Instead she choose to appeal like always to her father and who “he woulda wanted, he was like a son to him”. Like make a name for yourself and be a good owner, that means not making decisions based off irrelevant and irresponsible ideas.

The laker President and GM jobs woulda been two of the most highly coveted positions in the nba. I’m sure there were many highly qualified executives on successful franchises with lots of expertise they coulda brought to the Lakers and woulda loved the promotion. Instead we got stuck with Magic who when he speaks about the Lakers and his vision is pretty cringeworthy to say the least. He’s a dinosaur and the current nba has long passed his way of thinking behind.


We had the opportunity to go forward and bring the team into the modern era with and we (bleep) the bed. I’m just upset on how the whole thing was managed by Jeanie, and disappointed by how clueless Magic seems. Rob might be able to do some good things, not sure about his acumen as a GM, maybe with a better President I wouldn’t think lowly of him, but as of right now he seems like Magic’s Hype man and yes-man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9512

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject:

Time for Luke to start complaining about lacking shooters to Magic... make it happen Magic, 1 yr contract
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 7657
Location: The Other Perspective

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Time for Luke to start complaining about lacking shooters to Magic... make it happen Magic, 1 yr contract


Swaggy?
_________________
"Chick lived and breathed Lakers basketball…but he was also fair and objective and called every game the way it was played."
-from Chick: His Unpublished Memoirs and the Memories of Those Who Knew Him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 3308

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Not Luke's fault that Wagner is injured while Shamet is among the top rookies in 3PT%
_________________
The best way to keep a conversation from being boring is to say the wrong thing,,,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB