Magic Johsnon’s Hype and Unrealistic Expectations of our #2 Picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jordan-esque
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 8667

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.


Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.


I think Magic does believe in his own hype. If you’ve watched him since the 80’s you get that feeling he says what he believes, at least what he believes about himself.
_________________


Quote:
“One at a time they’re good, two at a time they’re great, 3 of them together they unbeata-BALL."

- LaVar on why Lakers should draft all 3 Ball Brothers (6/12/18)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 7711
Location: The Other Perspective

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

Magic's overhyping both those guys kinda annoyed me, but I didn't take him seriously anyway, so I never bought into them being as good as he said.
_________________
"Chick lived and breathed Lakers basketball…but he was also fair and objective and called every game the way it was played."
-from Chick: His Unpublished Memoirs and the Memories of Those Who Knew Him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 42894

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.


Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.


Eh. Magic is selling a product. Fans aren't required to buy it. I think he'd sell any of them off in a second if he thought it would help us win.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26766

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.


Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.



That's like complaining that a car salesman made the automobile you bought sound better than it is.

I figure anyone who actually listens to the words coming out of Magic's mouth deserves that they get. I doubt Magic himself remembers or believes half of what he says.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.


This is such a silly narrative I keep reading. PG, DeMarcus, and Kawhi all (or at least their camps did) came out and said they wanted to play for the Lakers. Trading Ingram for those guys was about a low risk as possible, and Ingram is never going to develop into anything near as good as any of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 3586

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.


Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.



That's like complaining that a car salesman made the automobile you bought sound better than it is.

I figure anyone who actually listens to the words coming out of Magic's mouth deserves that they get. I doubt Magic himself remembers or believes half of what he says.


Not really a good analogy. I see where you’re getting at, but there are thousands of say, Honda Civics being driven and reviewed on. You only have one kind of Lonzo Ball or Brandon Ingram.

A 2018 Honda Civic will always be a 2018 Honda Civic. But an 18 year old young player, sky is the limit for what more they could be.
_________________
Marcellus Wiley


Last edited by Nash Vegas on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13942

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.


This is such a silly narrative I keep reading. PG, DeMarcus, and Kawhi all (or at least their camps did) came out and said they wanted to play for the Lakers. Trading Ingram for those guys was about a low risk as possible, and Ingram is never going to develop into anything near as good as any of them.

I'm not convinced Kawhi stays. I don't want Boogie.
I am thinking it was a mistake not trading Ingram for PG, but that's with hindsight bias. I'd probably have criticized the FO if they did make that trade instead of being patient.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 21664
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I hope fans realize that Zo is 20 and BI is 21, we have already seen there Impact on games, and they are no where near a finished product, Zo is still progressing from his off season surgery and BI is still adapting to the new players... let’s give these guys 20-25 games before calling them wasted picks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 15421

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.


So true. It doesn't help their cause though when fans fight tooth and nail to prove that their guy is the gawd.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 1525

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

So, I’m trying to picture the alternative here...

Magic trots out some sht players he heard of three minutes before he had to make a pick at the draft. Has some shoddy press conference at the Taco Bell:

I’d like to introduce these guys. I think they’ll play a couple years for us... but screw it, it’s just a game anyway.

I don’t know how Magic should have welcomed BI and Zo to the franchise; tone it down? No idea.
_________________
🌮 WE 🌮 WANT 🌮 TACOS 🌮
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 1527

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope fans realize that Zo is 20 and BI is 21, we have already seen there Impact on games, and they are no where near a finished product, Zo is still progressing from his off season surgery and BI is still adapting to the new players... let’s give these guys 20-25 games before calling them wasted picks.


They are not wasted picks if you are going to trade them for a bonafide superstar. (e.g. AD)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 1539

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.


This is such a silly narrative I keep reading. PG, DeMarcus, and Kawhi all (or at least their camps did) came out and said they wanted to play for the Lakers. Trading Ingram for those guys was about a low risk as possible, and Ingram is never going to develop into anything near as good as any of them.


Why is it a silly narrative? We have no control on what each player wants to do once they are free agent so that’s a risk you have to take. Lol about Projecting Ingram trajectionary. Are you saying KL and PG looked like elite player when they were 21 ? KL maybe a reach for Ingram but Spurs know how to develop and nurture players. Makes me wonder if it’s all about ego why KL left a great situation and makes me wonder if his ego can handle Lebron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26766

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.


Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.



That's like complaining that a car salesman made the automobile you bought sound better than it is.

I figure anyone who actually listens to the words coming out of Magic's mouth deserves that they get. I doubt Magic himself remembers or believes half of what he says.


Not really a good analogy. I see where you’re getting at, but there are thousands of say, Honda Civics being driven and reviewed on. You only have one kind of Lonzo Ball or Brandon Ingram.

A 2018 Honda Civic will always be a 2018 Honda Civic. But an 18 year old young player, sky is the limit for what more they could be.



Fine, you don't like analogies, I'll make it simple: Magic hypes endlessly, If someone believes his hype, and is upset when it doesn't come true, they're a sucker who enjoys living in fairyland so they got what the deserved. For me, pretty much everything Magic says goes in one ear and out the other. I judge him by his actions, not his words, which I put no value on.

So if you're one of those who bought the hype, take it as a lesson for next time Magic opens his mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Posts: 4022
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Kuz/Hart > Zo/BI = FACTS.
_________________
Let's Go Lakers!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 May 2011
Posts: 2371

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:

Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.


Magic never really gave that much praise to Dlo either when he was still a Laker, so it's not like he's just overhyping every Laker player. So I tend to think Magic really believes in what he has said about both Zo and Ingram.
_________________
Tacos

Formerly known as Nashlight
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15384
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.


Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.


Eh. Magic is selling a product. Fans aren't required to buy it. I think he'd sell any of them off in a second if he thought it would help us win.


Truth but it would be sad if four lottery picks in four consecutive years went to waste.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 5897
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Its BI’s third year already, no more excuses
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3145

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Magic is enthusiastic but come on, nobody can beat the hype the fans themselves come up with. All you have to do is think back to future greats like Devin Ebanks and Javaris Crittenton.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
george w kush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 482

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I think this team would have been better off if Rob were running the show and not Magic. Sure you can debate whether or not we would have gotten Lebron(I still think we would have), but Magic behaves in a manner that is similar to an LG'er. Overly emotional, says we might lose a few games in the beginning and then when we actually do, is borderline firing Luke, etc...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sonic the laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 826

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope fans realize that Zo is 20 and BI is 21, we have already seen there Impact on games, and they are no where near a finished product, Zo is still progressing from his off season surgery and BI is still adapting to the new players... let’s give these guys 20-25 games before calling them wasted picks.


I understand you're coming from a place of critical thinking, and common sense. But, you should have realized from the beginning of this thread, that it was going to be a breeding ground of hate for Zo, and B.I.. Anything to the contrary would be summarily dismissed, and tossed into the veritable "book fire". Nice try, though. I feel you.
_________________
ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Zillethai
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 22 Dec 2017
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Lol @ Lonzo's Jersey hanging from the rafters.


"Don't beat all my records" Comedy gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 11021
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
Lol @ Lonzo's Jersey hanging from the rafters.


"Don't beat all my records" Comedy gold.




Getting that turkey ready for thanksgiving
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 2246

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
and somebody who can get their teammates to follow them and want to get out on that wing like Worthy and Byron and Cooper used to do back in the day.


Magic always resorts to him and his NBA days. He's like a professional Al Bundy Lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 2246

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
Kuz/Hart > Zo/BI = FACTS.


They are more developed being their stint in college, but I don't agree that Kuz is better. Kuz is really 1 dimensional. He only really scores. Lonzo does everything else better. Same with BI... Once BI becomes a consistent scorer he is gonna be way better than Kuz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3882
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Magic's hype of Lonzo at the presser will never be forgotten or equaled. It was like the second coming of Jesus Christ. Never thought that was a good thing. Hey, I realize he is young but Magic hyped him up crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB