Late game offense
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Late game offense

Why does the team always go to iso ball at the end of close games? It seems like the doesn't play to our strengths at all and almost always leads to a bad/contested shot.

Is this the Lebron effect or is what Luke wants at the end of games? I just don't understand how 2 contested 3's are better than moving the ball and getting everyone involved to find a better shot.

Is there something I'm missing?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Late game offense

loslakersss wrote:
Why does the team always go to iso ball at the end of close games? It seems like the doesn't play to our strengths at all and almost always leads to a bad/contested shot.

Is this the Lebron effect or is what Luke wants at the end of games? I just don't understand how 2 contested 3's are better than moving the ball and getting everyone involved to find a better shot.

Is there something I'm missing?

Combination of both.

What set plays does Luke run? None.

So he just says to LBJ/Rondo, "do something."
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

There was 3 straight bricked shots in crunch time from Lebron, thank God for those Tyson Chandler offensive rebounds, but man that’s some ugly offense. We seriously need to find a better crunch time offense because I have no faith in a Lebron iso.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

That's what's happening for most teams, not only the Lakers...
Give the ball to the best player and see what happens...
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

I blame Lebron. He has to work for a better shot in those situations. Biggest knock on Luke would be having Rondo and Chandler in, which kills spacing (I know, Chandler saved the day. Maybe he doesn't have to if there's some shooting on the floor. I know, he helped a lot on defense. I'm just talking about the last 3 possessions).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I blame Lebron. He has to work for a better shot in those situations. Biggest knock on Luke would be having Rondo and Chandler in, which kills spacing (I know, Chandler saved the day. Maybe he doesn't have to if there's some shooting on the floor. I know, he helped a lot on defense. I'm just talking about the last 3 possessions).

Right, I would have placed 3 shooters plus Tyson in the final possessions.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

That was what happened when we had Kobe too.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Lebron has to work for a better shot in those situations. Biggest knock on Luke would be having Rondo and Chandler in, which kills spacing (I know, Chandler saved the day. Maybe he doesn't have to if there's some shooting on the floor. I know, he helped a lot on defense. I'm just talking about the last 3 possessions).

Reporter post-game asked why Luke went with Rondo down the stretch as opposed to Ball for defense or Hart who was shooting hot. Luke paused before answering that Rondo was doing "point guard" things. Thought it was a weird funny response.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Well its not that easy but the obvious problem is that, besides running fast breaks, we do not have any offensive sets to play. On the other side you have LBJ. What you can do there? Give the ball to him what else.

Solution is to put LBJ, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma and Tyson or McGee to finish games. These three are the best shooters on the team and McGee or Tyson are there to make a good screen for LBJ. It is mistake to finish with Rondo or Ball because they are just not dangerous offensively. I know people will say Ball is good defensively but teams don't care about the D anymore. Just score and go home.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

It's simple, Luke has no idea what he's doing.
Flashback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

Lebron steps up when the games start to count (read playoffs) hes on kind of hibernation mode at the moment. Main thing is that our young core finds a smooth rythm. We have 70+ games to do so. We gonna shut down our 1st playoff round opponent incase its not GSW. Mark my words
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Every team goes ISO ball late in games because you’re trying to create as efficient a shot as possible and limit turnovers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

The scoring distribution was nice.

LBJ: 24 points
Kuz: 21
Hart: 21
BI: 20.

The two long 3s by LBJ weren't optimal, but he did openly look for guys in the last 1:30 and the shots didn't go in. It takes some time to develop trust.

Remember, this is the guy who was criticized for making the correct pass to a wide open Donyell Marshall for 3.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Every team goes ISO ball late in games because you’re trying to create as efficient a shot as possible and limit turnovers.

This !

Its not much iso as opposed to slowing the game down, killing time and seeing whats available.

But yea, those last 2 deep 3PA by LBJ could have been very costly.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This !

Its not much iso as opposed to slowing the game down, killing time and seeing whats available.

I blame that on Luke. We never seem to have any creative set plays in those types of situations (particularly out of bounds plays)
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This !

I blame that on Luke. We never seem to have any creative set plays in those types of situations (particularly out of bounds plays)

He ran a couple of those last night. Hell, he even called it right out of jump ball.

Last edited by PhiberOptik on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

2 reasons:

1. Luke
2. Anyone know what other teams with a super star run late game? Wondering if other teams do something else.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
2 reasons:

1. Luke
2. Anyone know what other teams with a super star run late game? Wondering if other teams do something else.

Warriors do the same thing. It's a different animal late games, and you slow down the tempo and make your play makers (LBJ, Rondo for us) call what they see.

Even when we were running the triangle with PJ, the ball goes to Kobe late games and he reads the defense.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This !

He ran a couple of those last night. Hell, he even called it right out of jump ball.

What were the others?

Luke seems to have ideas about everything to start a game but no clue after that whether it is rotations, adjustments, or designed plays.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
epak wrote:
2 reasons:

1. Luke

Warriors do the same thing. It's a different animal late games, and you slow down the tempo and make your play makers (LBJ, Rondo for us) call what they see.

Even when we were running the triangle with PJ, the ball goes to Kobe late games and he reads the defense.

Yea, I've never been a fan of changing your offense to ISO on late games, unless it's to control the clock for a last second shot. But just wanted to verify if other teams were NOT doing what OP was stating.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

I think you don't have any idea what you're saying. It's so easy to spot what the Lakers are doing late games because majority of the teams in the league runs the same plays.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:
epak wrote:
2 reasons:

1. Luke

Yea, I've never been a fan of changing your offense to ISO on late games, unless it's to control the clock for a last second shot. But just wanted to verify if other teams were NOT doing what OP was stating.

ISO makes a whole lot of sense late. Reduce turnovers to give you a better chance at getting a shot off.

This is why, IMO, Philly is going to struggle to win a chip. Great team ball bit no closer late in games.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
Fracture wrote:

I think you don't have any idea what you're saying. It's so easy to spot what the Lakers are doing late games because majority of the teams in the league runs the same plays.

We don’t run plays late in games unless you’re saying those two long 3s by Lebron were by design.

If so, awful design.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I expected this thread to be blank.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

ringfinger wrote:
epak wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:
epak wrote:
2 reasons:

1. Luke

ISO makes a whole lot of sense late. Reduce turnovers to give you a better chance at getting a shot off.

This is why, IMO, Philly is going to struggle to win a chip. Great team ball bit no closer late in games.

Do they usually go to the block with Joel late game? For some inside out game on double teams? I haven't watched a lot of their games, but that's where I would go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: