No one in the NBA is playing defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21137

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

You’re missing the point. More possessions with identical defensive effectiveness = more points.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4299
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

It's a lot harder to play good team defense when NBA games sometimes resemble a drag race like they do these days.

People used to complain in the late 90s and early 2000s that no one was playing offense, that teams never looked to run and that it was too physical. Nowadays people complain about the opposite. I really think that many people in our society are just looking for an excuse to complain about something.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26731

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

splashmtn wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Everyone is giving up huge points to the opposition, this is the first time I have checked team stats and no one right now is holding anyone down under 100PPG, so let’s not act like the Lakers are the only 1’s who need to find there defensive groove.



The increase in scoring is because of faster pace, not worse defense.

A faster pace means more shots which means more points.

That isn't inherently a reflection that defense is poorer though. Shooting percentages and other defensive stats haven't changed much over the past three years.
you can run as fast as you want but if another team stops you from scoring you wont score. you cant just run up the pace like that unless its allowed by a lack of defense allowing you to score so quickly. that means less def rebounds for the offensive team trying to grab and go. it means get back on D quickly when the offensive team is taking the ball out. they can rush all they want. but if you're in front of your man all that rushing is going to end up in a bricked rushed shot. but if you aint playing defense for numerous reasons(you dont know how, you can't due to personnel, or new soft rules) then the fast pace will work and score like crazy on you. This is an in season version of these last few all star games. a lot of offense and very little defense.



Yesterday, I flipped a coin 10 times and it came up heads 5 times.

Today, I flipped a coin 14 times and it came up heads 7 times.

Why is heads coming up more today than it did yesterday?

Tails must be playing bad defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bucketsandbags
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

It's 14 seconds after offensive rebounds now instead on 24. That's added possessions and removed the ability to slow the game down as a strategy.

That's a big part of why scoring is up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mamba Mentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 576

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

You’re missing the point. More possessions with identical defensive effectiveness = more points.


Yes. More points does not equate to bad defense. More possessions = more shots. More shots = more points.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3141

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

You’re missing the point. More possessions with identical defensive effectiveness = more points.


Yes. More points does not equate to bad defense. More possessions = more shots. More shots = more points.
more shots does not = more points unless said more shots go in. thats the key. sure its ASSUMED. but its not reality until its made a reality.

Due to the rule changes + The pace = more scoring because there are guys getting down the court faster with little to no resistance thanks to the new rules. if and when the team does brick a shot/layup, etc. you better get that def rebound or else .. and that has been a lakers issue this season. so not only are we bad on defense thanks to the rules and pace change like everyone else, but since we are not the hottest on the def glass. we are even worse. defensive ends when you get the ball not when a team bricks a shot because they can just as easy rebound that brick and go back up for an easy shot or kick it back out for an open jumper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21137

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

You’re missing the point. More possessions with identical defensive effectiveness = more points.


Yes. More points does not equate to bad defense. More possessions = more shots. More shots = more points.
more shots does not = more points unless said more shots go in. thats the key. sure its ASSUMED. but its not reality until its made a reality.

Due to the rule changes + The pace = more scoring because there are guys getting down the court faster with little to no resistance thanks to the new rules. if and when the team does brick a shot/layup, etc. you better get that def rebound or else .. and that has been a lakers issue this season. so not only are we bad on defense thanks to the rules and pace change like everyone else, but since we are not the hottest on the def glass. we are even worse. defensive ends when you get the ball not when a team bricks a shot because they can just as easy rebound that brick and go back up for an easy shot or kick it back out for an open jumper.


You seem to be fighting a valiant, determined battle against mathematics. I'm not sure whether to salute you or just to walk on past avoiding eye contact at all costs.

Anyway, as I pointed out in one of these threads, leaguewide defensive efficiency is essentially the same this season as last season. Yes, the Lakers are hurting on defense in part because Magic constructed a small ball roster with minimal rebounding. The addition of Chandler may reduce the amount of small ball and improve our defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 16166

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have our defensive stats (adjusted for pace)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 1659

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject:

FYI... the Jazz and Celtics are considered among the best defensive teams in the league and they played each other today:

Celtics: 115
Jazz: 123

I'm just saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60043
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Does anyone have our defensive stats (adjusted for pace)?


Defensive rating is already adjusted per 100 possessions.

Team_Defensive_Rating = 100 * (Opponent_PTS / Team_Possessions)
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, Lindell Wigginton, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield @bball-index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 29090

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

I know a lot of people prefer offense but i always liked seeing players go at each other defensively. The best players don't even hide that they don't wnt to guard each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8369

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I know a lot of people prefer offense but i always liked seeing players go at each other defensively. The best players don't even hide that they don't wnt to guard each other.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8369

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

celtics d was so bad yesterday they were playing a zone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 13332

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

"No one in the NBA is playing defense"? Did we travel back to the 80's?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128252
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

No one in the NFL ran the West Coast offense. Until the 49ers did and won multiple Super Bowls. You don’t excel by following trends, you excel by setting trends.
_________________
Happy 242nd birthday to the US Marine Corp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 13721

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

The Bucks and Raptors play plenty of defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB