Will 'Hack-A-Bron' Be a Thing???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
It's weird how Shaq was a much worse free throw shooter than Lebron, but when the Lakers absolutely needed Shaq to make free throws in crunch time he usually made them.

I know Shaq declared "I make them when it counts." However, I doubt that's true. For example, this study found he shot 53.3% in the clutch and 51.8 in non-clutch situations.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/10/29/numbers.game/

I remember Shaq making plenty of clutch free throws at the end of playoff games. He made two just before Horry hit that 3 against the Kings. There was also a playoff game in Portland where they used the Hack-A-Shaq strategy and Shaq went perfect from the line.

If Lebron would at least "make them when it counts" then we could live with that. But he's one of the least clutch all time greats ever, and it's already making me nervous in crunch time.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Don’t forget:

Hack a Chandler
Hack a Rondo
Hack a Lonzo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Don’t forget:

Hack a Chandler
Hack a Rondo
Hack a Lonzo

we've got a thread for 2/3 but one for Chandler couldn't hurt I guess
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Just want to add that BI and Kuz have not been great at the charity stripe this season as well.

Definitely unacceptable for those two to be missing all these damn free throws. Gunnar Peterson Probably killin them on the shoulder presses
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
It's weird how Shaq was a much worse free throw shooter than Lebron, but when the Lakers absolutely needed Shaq to make free throws in crunch time he usually made them.

I know Shaq declared "I make them when it counts." However, I doubt that's true. For example, this study found he shot 53.3% in the clutch and 51.8 in non-clutch situations.

Not all "clutch" foul shots hold the same weight.
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I remember Shaq making plenty of clutch free throws at the end of playoff games. He made two just before Horry hit that 3 against the Kings. There was also a playoff game in Portland where they used the Hack-A-Shaq strategy and Shaq went perfect from the line.

If Lebron would at least "make them when it counts" then we could live with that. But he's one of the least clutch all time greats ever, and it's already making me nervous in crunch time.

This has been debunked before, but:

Newsweek wrote:
According to ESPN Stats & Info, LeBron has already hit five buzzer-beaters—calculated as go-ahead shots in the final five seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime—in his postseason career, two more than Jordan did during his 15 seasons in the NBA.

LeBron also has a slightly better percentage when it comes to clutch shots, landing 47 percent of his attempted game-winning shots, compared with Jordan’s 45 percent. Saturday night’s buzzer-beater also saw the four-time MVP become the first player in the last 15 seasons to clinch multiple buzzer beaters in the same postseasons, given he had already nailed one in Game Three of the Cavs’ first-round series against the Pacers.

https://www.newsweek.com/did-lebron-james-it-michael-jordan-make-more-insane-clutch-shots-912104

And in playoff elimination games:

SI wrote:
LeBron James has played 22 elimination games in his career and is 13-9 in those contests.

In those 22 games, James is averaging 34.1 points, 10.8 rebounds, 7.4 assists, 0.95 blocks and 1.7 steals. James averages the most points of any player in league history who has played at least three elimination games, ahead of Michael Jordan at 31.3 and Wilt Chamberlain at 31.1.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/25/lebron-james-playoff-elimination-games-record-stats
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Not all "clutch" foul shots hold the same weight.

Sure. But I'm never seen any evidence he shoots the "important" clutch free throws at a higher level, and I doubt he does. In 1207 regular season games he shot 52.7%; in 216 playoff games he shot 50.4%. The notion that he somehow improved dramatically at key moments seems ridiculous to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: