Police Kill Security Guard Who'd Just Apprehended an "Active Shooter"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Police Kill Security Guard Who'd Just Apprehended an "Active Shooter"

Quote:
A little after 4 a.m. Sunday, police in Robbins called for assistance from additional area police departments as it responded to a call about a shooting at Manny's Blue Room Bar, according to Midlothian police.

Midlothian police said two of its officers went to the bar to help Robbins police. When officers arrived, Midlothian police said, they learned there were several gunshot victims inside the bar.

A Midlothian police officer encountered Roberson, 26, of Chicago, a security guard at the bar, authorities said. He was in a parking lot outside the bar, trying to subdue a suspect in the shootings. Roberson was shot by the Midlothian officer after being given "multiple verbal commands" to drop his gun and get on the ground. Witnesses saw the officer raising his weapon toward Roberson and yelled "He's security! Don't shoot! He's security!". Witnesses who contradicted Tuesday's statement from Illinois State Police claimed that Roberson was wearing a jacket, hat and vest that said "security." .

Quote:
Jemel had every reason and every justification to use deadly force against the suspect he had apprehended. ... He decided that he could apprehend him, he could subdue him without killing him and he made a decision to. That’s the least of which we can ask from the police department. From Midlothian or other police departments around the country,”

Killed In The Line of Duty

This guy apprehends somebody that was just suspected of shooting multiple people inside the bar and his first instinct wasn't to kill the gunman but rather subdue him. RIP Jamele. You would have made an excellent Police Officer. The type that exercises the restraint the public deserves...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

>good guy with a gun kills good guy with a gun

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
>good guy with a gun kills good guy with a gun

Or as the NRA would spin it "Guns don't kill people. Good Guys with guns do".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I like how the security guard had the self-control to apprehend rather than shoot the suspect but then the police officer didn't.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

killer cop hit the jackpot. can now claim PTSD and get a generous medical retirement package.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Crickets . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I like how the security guard had the self-control to apprehend rather than shoot the suspect but then the police officer didn't.

Did the security officer have a gun or did he get the gun from the shooter? Maybe that's why he didn't try to shoot him originally. Or maybe the shooter didn't have his gun in his hand at the time. Just shows the confusion that can happen in this type of situation. Even if the good guys have guns how do you tell who the good guy is? You would think that the guy wearing the security guard outfit would be safe but then you could just have a shooter put on something that looks like a uniform so can't really blame the officer for treating him like a suspect.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Did the security officer have a gun or did he get the gun from the shooter? Maybe that's why he didn't try to shoot him originally. Or maybe the shooter didn't have his gun in his hand at the time. Just shows the confusion that can happen in this type of situation. Even if the good guys have guns how do you tell who the good guy is? You would think that the guy wearing the security guard outfit would be safe but then you could just have a shooter put on something that looks like a uniform so can't really blame the officer for treating him like a suspect.

That's ridiculous.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Any police officer here? When approaching a situation with guns present, what's your training trigger to shoot? gun pointing at you? holding gun with verbal threat?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Any police officer here? When approaching a situation with guns present, what's your training trigger to shoot? gun pointing at you? holding gun with verbal threat?

ROE generally provides the officer with discretion to assess the situation.

1) Establish situational awareness - Is the subject sufficiently mellanized? Then proceed to subsection B. If not, proceed to subsection a)

a) Instructions for insufficiently mellanized subjects. Ask them if they are a good guy and did they vote Republican in the last election? If given a negative answer, then proceed to subsection B.

b) Warn the suspect that if he inhales, exhales, blinks, twitches, or moves - he will be shot.

Post shooting:

Grand Jury : Officer Trigger, Why did you shoot the subject?

Officer Trigger: Because I gave him clear instruction not to move and then I ordered him to drop the gun and he disobeyed that order.

Grand Jury: How could he obey the order if he was also told not to move?

Officer Trigger: That's the beauty of our training!

Grand Jury: Ok - No charges. Carry on.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's ridiculous.

LINK

Posting a facebook meme likes it's actual facts is extreme face palm material.

In a report on its preliminary investigation released Tuesday, Illinois State Police, which is handling the police shooting, said Roberson was dressed "in plain black clothing with no markings readily identifying him as a security guard."

Roberson was shot by the Midlothian officer after being given "multiple verbal commands" to drop his gun and get on the ground, according to witnesses, Illinois State Police said Tuesday.

Sounds like a bouncer at a bar. Now do you understand why I asked the question on whether he had a gun? How many bouncers carry firearms?
Also lol at the race baiting article title
Police officer who shot armed black security guard is white

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's ridiculous.

LINK

In a report on its preliminary investigation released Tuesday, Illinois State Police, which is handling the police shooting, said Roberson was dressed "in plain black clothing with no markings readily identifying him as a security guard."

Roberson was shot by the Midlothian officer after being given "multiple verbal commands" to drop his gun and get on the ground, according to witnesses, Illinois State Police said Tuesday.

Sounds like a bouncer at a bar. Now do you understand why I asked the question on whether he had a gun? How many bouncers carry firearms?

Forgive my cynicism but police reports are on my list of made up.

LINK

Quote:
"We all yelled. 'He's a security. He's a security,' and without ... giving any thought, they shot him," Harris told the station. "The vest said security as well ... and they shot him in the side."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

STOP automatically defending cops

Did they get a call about terrorist activity?
A call saying there were multiple people fighting etc
They arrive and one man is exercising his constitutional right to be a security guard with a gun?? and they think just because a gun is drawn that it is guaranteed to be used..

Trash training
Trash brains
Trash maturity levels

UK Police Take Down Knife Wielding Man. What Would Happen In The U.S.?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's ridiculous.

LINK

Yes, that’s the police position, which actually doesn’t correspond with the witnesses themselves. Apparently, they forgot to ask the witnesses what they saw before assigning them testimony.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's ridiculous.

LINK

Yes, that’s the police position, which actually doesn’t correspond with the witnesses themselves. Apparently, they forgot to ask the witnesses what they saw before assigning them testimony.

Father and Son only citizen witnesses to see police kill a man in front of them. Good story of how they saw the police version the next morning on TV.. and found big courage and took them on and helped the city convict them...

Quote:
Despite witnessing the shooting of the 17-year-old McDonald in October 2014, the two had been shooed away from the scene by a police officer who hadn’t bothered to ask them what they saw.

“I told my wife, ‘They’re lying,’” Torres said. “‘That didn’t happen.’”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Thief wrote:

Yep.

Thief is also off base in the "race baiting" comment. The sad reality is that white officers shooting innocent black men is an undeniable issue in our society. So pointing out that it was the case in this shooting isn't "race baiting". It's simply reporting another tragic instance of it.

As for Thief's "sounds like a bouncer in a bar" argument, it's completely nonsensical.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's ridiculous.

LINK

Should be easy to clear this up. Just ask the employer if there is a uniform that says security on it that he had to wear on duty. My original thought though was you always hear the argument that more people should just carry guns and it always makes me think if I was in that situation how the heck would I know who the bad guy is? I'd probably end up getting shot either by the perpetrator because I would hesitate unless I knew for sure he was the bad guy or I'd get shot from some other gun carrier because he was a little gung ho and saw me with a gun and assumed I was the bad guy. Or just get shot from a good samaritan firing off rounds into a crowd trying to hit the bad guy.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Thief is also off base in the "race baiting" comment. The sad reality is that white officers shooting innocent black men is an undeniable issue in our society. So pointing out that it was the case in this shooting isn't "race baiting". It's simply reporting another tragic instance of it.

As for Thief's "sounds like a bouncer in a bar" argument, it's completely nonsensical.

White men are twice as likely to get shot by police than a black man so yes the article title is absolutely race baiting garbage. As to my guess that Roberson was a bouncer I don't see how that's nonsensical. Look at the time and place this happened. It's perfectly reasonable to think he could have been a bouncer.

A little after 4 a.m. Sunday, police in Robbins called for assistance from additional area police departments as it responded to a call about a shooting at Manny's Blue Room Bar, according to Midlothian police
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:

White men are twice as likely to get shot by police than a black man

A new look at racial disparities in police use of deadly force

There is clear evidence of racial differences in fatal police shootings in terms of population proportions. Black Americans are only about 13 percent of the population, but make up over 30 percent of people fatally shot by police.

Also, the point is not simply the raw numbers of people who get shot by police. The majority of police shootings are justified and more white people are shot by police because they are a larger percentage of the population. The point is that when it comes to unjustified shootings, race becomes an issue - which is why it is appropriate to point out when a white officer is involved in an unjustified shooting of a black man.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

White men are twice as likely to get shot by police than a black man so yes the article title is absolutely race baiting garbage. As to my guess that Roberson was a bouncer I don't see how that's nonsensical. Look at the time and place this happened. It's perfectly reasonable to think he could have been a bouncer.

A little after 4 a.m. Sunday, police in Robbins called for assistance from additional area police departments as it responded to a call about a shooting at Manny's Blue Room Bar, according to Midlothian police

Please post a link to these statistics, and make sure it accounts for number of people shot as a percentage of their respective racial populations and not just a total number.

If you don't post a link, we will assume you are either repeating propaganda that you heard in right-wing world or are making it up.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

There is clear evidence of racial differences in fatal police shootings in terms of population proportions. Black Americans are only about 13 percent of the population, but make up over 30 percent of people fatally shot by police.

Also, the point is not simply the raw numbers of people who get shot by police. The majority of police shootings are justified and more white people are shot by police because they are a larger percentage of the population. The point is that when it comes to unjustified shootings, race becomes an issue - which is why it is appropriate to point out when a white officer is involved in an unjustified shooting of a black man.

You are correct I worded it incorrectly. I was looking at the raw numbers of shootings. However still doesn't change the notion that the headline is race baiting.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

You are correct I worded it incorrectly. I was looking at the raw numbers of shootings. However still doesn't change the notion that the headline is race baiting.

13%population but 30% of fatal police shooting... This is not race baiting, this is simple statistic
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

13%population but 30% of fatal police shooting... This is not race baiting, this is simple statistic

You would need to do a deep dive into every situation that involved a police shooting and determine race is a factor. That's pretty tough to determine. I'm not denying it could be a factor but again it's still race baiting until you can show that this particular officer shot him because he was black and not because he was holding a firearm and not complying with the officer's orders.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

You are missing the point. The number of unjustified shootings is heavily skewed towards black men by white officers. To such an extent that it is a major topic of discussion and tension in the nation. So pointing out that factor in this shooting in the headline is not "race baiting", it is the headline.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Speed at which they pull the trigger using the
family guy shade chart would be scientific enough
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: