European trip advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: European trip advice

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to Europe right after Christmas (I know, super last minute) and as a first timer I was hoping for some advice.

What I do know:

I will be going alone and staying at hostels at least part of the time to meet people.

I fly from LA to Paris (7pm depart - 2pm arrival) and fly home from London about 16 days later. Everything else is kind of up in the air but a general idea is Paris > Venice (for NYE) > Rome > Barcelona > Amsterdam > London. With 2-3 days in each.

I know jetlag will be an issue at first but I think I can explore for a few hours when I land, get dinner and then get a full nights rest before 2 days of exploring Paris.

Logistically I think 6 cities might be too many, 5 seems like the better number (3 days per) or at least switching Barcelona to Berlin so the path is a circle rather than a zig zag but Barcelona seems so fun (and warmer).

What would be your advice, in general or for the info I've given you, for me on this trip? What should I know? Am I trying to see too much with the 6th city? What are your opinions of my listed cities? Anything at all is appreciated. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any tips.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

So I just took a 31 day trip to Europe this past summer. I did seven cities: Stockholm, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Venice, Florence, Rome.

IMO Venice is a tourist trap. It's worth seeing once in your lifetime but it's not really the most interesting place-- just a bunch of overpriced shops and restaurants. Amsterdam is a party city.

If possible, I would recommend doing 3-4 days in each rather than trying to see as many as possible. Personally, I would have started in London and then taken the train to Paris and then flown out of whatever city I ended up in last.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

My daughter is arriving home from her six week trip, also staying in hostels, tomorrow. I can ask her more, but she did say she LOVED Berlin and was disappointed with Italy. She went to London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Rome, Portugal and Spain that I recall, and made a lot of friends.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Are you traveling by plane or train while in Europe? If you're taking the train, I would cut out Amsterdam or Barcelona.

The train ride from deep Italy to Barcelona is a pain in the ass and a big time suck. Instead, I would go straight north and see Berlin then Amsterdam.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback. I would travel by train most of the way (possibly night train and sleep during travel depending on length). If I do go to Barcelona I would fly from Italy to there and then possibly from there up to Berlin/Amsterdam.

At this point I'm thinking of cutting out Spain since it's out of the way and adds a lot of extra hours of travel time.

My sister loved Berlin and although it's cold I hear its great in the winter. Initially I was going to skip it.

New years eve is still up in the air, I figured Venice, Paris or London would be the best bets.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I would travel by train most of the way (possibly night train and sleep during travel depending on length). If I do go to Barcelona I would fly from Italy to there and then possibly from there up to Berlin/Amsterdam.

At this point I'm thinking of cutting out Spain since it's out of the way and adds a lot of extra hours of travel time.

My sister loved Berlin and although it's cold I hear its great in the winter. Initially I was going to skip it.

New years eve is still up in the air, I figured Venice, Paris or London would be the best bets.

I would go with London. Not a fan of Paris and Venice is mostly just overpriced shops.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I imagine what cities you should check out should be a function of your interests -- historical sites, museums, nightlife, etc. I loved Vienna partly because I am really into Classical music, and for a similar reason I am more excited to visit Paris than London in the near future. But I realize that is a very me-specific thing.

I'd be wary about getting advice from people without knowing what their specific interests are.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I'd be wary about getting advice from people without knowing what their specific interests are.

This here is excellent advice. If you're more of a "Historical Sights" Traveler, and someone who is a "Off the Beaten Path" traveler is giving you advice, you stand a good chance of being disappointed. Considering that, below is a general outline for an average tourist.

In Italy, especially Rome, be prepared to stand in some of the longest lines you'll encounter to get an up close and personal view of the major sights. When folks have a limited schedule in Italy, I usually suggest they figure out hings that interest them in the cities they're visiting outside of the Big Historical sites unless spending half a day in line and viewing the Colesium with thousands of your new chummiest friends seems like a good use of your limited time?

If I were traveling on the time frame you're considering, and were locked into the cities you've planned, I'd fly into Barcelona, spend 2 days, then catch a flight to Rome, spend a day (If you're going to forgo standing in lines then save a full Rome experience for a dedicated Italy trip when you have more time, imo), then take the quick train ride north to Florence (Skipping Venice), spend a couple of days, then catch a flight up to Berlin, spend 3 days, then take the overnight train to Amsterdam, spend a couple of days, Hop on a quick train down to Paris, Spend 3 days, take the Train over to London, spend 3 days, then head home.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
tox wrote:

This here is excellent advice. If you're more of a "Historical Sights" Traveler, and someone who is a "Off the Beaten Path" traveler is giving you advice, you stand a good chance of being disappointed. Considering that, below is a general outline for an average tourist.

In Italy, especially Rome, be prepared to stand in some of the longest lines you'll encounter to get an up close and personal view of the major sights. When folks have a limited schedule in Italy, I usually suggest they figure out hings that interest them in the cities they're visiting outside of the Big Historical sites unless spending half a day in line and viewing the Colesium with thousands of your new chummiest friends seems like a good use of your limited time?

If I were traveling on the time frame you're considering, and were locked into the cities you've planned, I'd fly into Barcelona, spend 2 days, then catch a flight to Rome, spend a day (If you're going to forgo standing in lines then save a full Rome experience for a dedicated Italy trip when you have more time, imo), then take the quick train ride north to Florence (Skipping Venice), spend a couple of days, then catch a flight up to Berlin, spend 3 days, then take the overnight train to Amsterdam, spend a couple of days, Hop on a quick train down to Paris, Spend 3 days, take the Train over to London, spend 3 days, then head home.

This last paragraph is perfect.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, I definitely like to ask why people like/didn't like places and then use that information to see if I would have the same thoughts.

I hear Italy, especially Rome is very touristy and as CC said, expensive.

I would mostly want to see historical things and landmarks. Museums. Experiencing the food and wine is huge. Nightlife isn't huge but I would like to check out some bars and clubs.

I definitely want to remind myself I can always go back and don't want to be too ambitious and regret not staying somewhere long enough or spend too much time traveling between cities rather than enjoying them.

I also want to leave room to be flexible to be able to do things with new friends while I'm there.

Your itinerary seems like the best one yet and I don't really have to sacrifice anything. Any reason you like Florence more than Venice?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, I definitely like to ask why people like/didn't like places and then use that information to see if I would have the same thoughts.

I hear Italy, especially Rome is very touristy and as CC said, expensive.

I would mostly want to see historical things and landmarks. Museums. Experiencing the food and wine is huge. Nightlife isn't huge but I would like to check out some bars and clubs.

I definitely want to remind myself I can always go back and don't want to be too ambitious and regret not staying somewhere long enough or spend too much time traveling between cities rather than enjoying them.

I also want to leave room to be flexible to be able to do things with new friends while I'm there.

Your itinerary seems like the best one yet and I don't really have to sacrifice anything. Any reason you like Florence more than Venice?

As others have mentioned, Venice is definitely very touristy. The biggest problem with Venice as a destination stop is the lack of "non touristy" things to do. If you were taking a trip to just italy for a couple weeks, then I'd include Venice on the itinerary. But when just spending under a week in Italy, then Tuscany (Florence) simply offers a great deal more variety of things to do and gives you a better opportunity to have contact with normal Italians, as opposed to just the exposure to service industry workers that's all you pretty much are exposed to in Venice. And finally, for such a short trip, Venice is tucked far enough out of your way that you'd lose half a day to travel and getting situated, and I'd suspect you'd rather maximise your time for exploration.

Also, the countryside outside the city in Florence is just amazing, and is usually what most relate to as what they think of as "Italy" in their imaginations prior to visiting. The architecture, museums, and vineyards, and combination of old world & cosmopolitan, is a much more balanced experience than is Venice imo.

The train ride up to Florence from Rome is about 90 minutes, vs the ride to Venice, which is 3-4 hourish. Also, you can conveniently add the Leaning Tower of Pisa to your trip (same caveat on long lines) by flying out of Pisa instead of Florence. It's only about an hour ride to Pisa and the Pisa airport is more user friendly than is the airport in Florence. And because Pisa is such a touristed spot, the train rides in and out of there are good spots to hook up with other travelers that may be on a similar itinerary, or at worst somebody to share a meal with.

As far as air travel in Europe, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out just how cheap tickets are on the cheapies like Ryan Air & Easyjet. You can easily get from Pisa to Berlin for under $150 bucks, often for half of that. Just read carefully when booking, because they can surcharge for some of the silliest things.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Gotcha. Okay, it looks like I'll probably skip Venice. Flying in will still go through Paris since I can get there a day sooner than Spain based on flights available.

So Paris > Barcelona for NYE > Italy (Rome/Florence/Pisa) > Berlin > Amsterdam > London seems to be the likely course now.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Gotcha. Okay, it looks like I'll probably skip Venice. Flying in will still go through Paris since I can get there a day sooner than Spain based on flights available.

So Paris > Barcelona for NYE > Italy (Rome/Florence/Pisa) > Berlin > Amsterdam > London seems to be the likely course now.

Definitely fly from Barcelona to Rome. You'll waste a lot of time on the train ride.

As someone pointed out above, the one-way flights while on the continent are really cheap.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Definitely fly from Barcelona to Rome. You'll waste a lot of time on the train ride.

As someone pointed out above, the one-way flights while on the continent are really cheap.

Definitely. I was actually shocked at how cheap ($50 or less for most).
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just got back and wow, I had such a great time.

I ended up going with Paris > Barcelona > Rome > Florence > Venice > Berlin > Amsterdam > London.

Paris was cool but definitely more of a date type destination, such a romantic city.

Barcelona, Florence and Berlin were by far my 3 favorite cities. They're all so different but each have things that you fall in love with (beaches/weather, the vibe, the people, the food, the nightlife, the history).

I was only in Venice for about 5 hours (took CC's advice and didn't want to stay long so just trained there from Florence and flew out of there) and it seemed like the perfect amount of time. Any longer and I'd have gotten bored I think.

I had the most fun in Berlin and love the people and food that I took time away from Amsterdam to stay long. Amsterdam is a lovely city but the cycles are everywhere

London was the most underwhelming, the free museums were cool and the musicians in the tube stations were the highlight for me. Other than that it didn't feel special.

I'm curious, what are your guys favorite cities from past visits and why?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: