A Trade With Houston That Actually Makes Sense

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: A Trade With Houston That Actually Makes Sense

As many of you may know, I've advocated chasing Melvin Ely, and perhaps Brevin Knight too, as a fix for this team this year and next (not necessarily long-term). After reading an article this morning about Houston trying to unload Stromile Swift and Juwan Howard, I realized a great deal for us that we could do with Houston, that would make sense, that does not include McGrady (I'll take him though), and addresses our two needs of a veteran guard and veteran post scorer.

Here is the trade:

Quote:

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown

Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
7.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.1 minutes

Stanislav Medvedenko
6-10 PF from Ukraine (Foreign)
1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 3.5 minutes

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown

Derek Anderson
6-5 SG from Kentucky
10.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.1 minutes

Juwan Howard
6-9 PF from Michigan
10.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +13.7 ppg, +6.7 rpg, and +2.4 apg.

Successful Scenario

Due to L.A. Lakers and Houston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Houston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The Trade ID for this scenario is 2982027.

With this trade, we get a solid low post guy in Juwan Howard who brings veteran leadership and an excellent midrange jump shot (i.e. the ideal player for the Tri 4), and we get Derek Anderson to fill in at the 1 and 2, who provides us with more scoring punch and again veteran experience.

Anderson is only priced at $1.8 million next year on an option, and Howard is signed through the next two seasons with a player option for the third at only around 6 million. I'm not worried about having Howard that long because he's a solid veteran who would be a good influence on Andrew and his game, and would be ideal for the Tri with his experience, intelligence, jump shot, rebounding, and ability to score down low.

Houston would love to unload Howard's contract, and Derek Anderson is worthless to them. We could make this deal, and it would be better even than Ely/Knight, and probably easier to make too.

We really need some veteran experience and leadership on this team. Juwan Howard would provide that, and Derek Anderson could help replace Profit.

If McGrady is available. we could just add McGrady and Odom and the trade still works [Trade ID: 2982065].

Last edited by critical_beatdown on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

Howard would be an upgrade, but he's a little too old for the Lakers taste at this point IMO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

[lebron]That don't make no sense to me[/lebron]
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Howard is cheap, and we need veteran leadership and experience. He only costs us $6.3 million next year, and $6.8 million the year after, and he's shown he's still got it while carrying the Rockets with Yao and McGrady out or limited. He also has a player option for 2008-2009, but he would still be valuable then, should we be competing for titles, and we will be competing for titles if we add a veteran player, presence, and leader in the post to our current young and developing ensemble.

If we get Howard, then we just pencil him in at the 4/5 for the next 2-3 years, and we focus our free agency or sign-and-trade efforts on acquring a dynamic guard (we'll cut Anderson loose after this or next year).

Our team would look good:

1 - Smush/Sasha/Anderson
2 - Kobe/Anderson
3 - Odom/Walton
4 - Howard/Kwame/Cook/Turiaf
5 - Mihm/Howard/Bynum

This is a lot better team, as we could count on Juwan Howard to score in the post off double teams on Kobe and Lamar, while also hitting the midrange jump shot and not caving under pressure late in games and in the playoffs.

Also, Howard only just turned 33 this month so is not over the hill by any stretch of the imagination. He would be 34 next season, 35 the next, and 36 in his final season. And we are so deep in the front line if we add him that we could limit his minutes to 24-28 a game to preserve him.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

If we are going to be making title runs anytime in the next 3 years, we're going to need veteran guys like Howard to realize that. It won't necessarily happen by adding a different superstar for Odom, or adding one more star.

And Howard's has an option for 2008-2009, so it's possible we could move him or convince him to sign for less if we are on the verge of the title or in the middle of some title runs.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

Juwan Howard? Why not Mo Taylor or even Marcus Fizer, if we want an undersized, all-O/no-D/no-Reb PF?
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Juwan Howard? Why not Mo Taylor or even Marcus Fizer, if we want an undersized, all-O/no-D/no-Reb PF?

Sometimes the ignorance here astounds me. Howard is fine as a rebounder. Per 48, he's averaging 10 rebounds this year, and the same for his career.

For the Tri, there's few who would be as good a match (PJ Brown is one that comes to mind as a better match). Howard has a good low post scoring game, an excellent jump shot, is serviceable on defense, is a good enough rebounder, and would bring some veteran savvy and leadership. He's also a smart player.

Obviously, if we feel there's still a 2007-2008 difference maker in free agency we wouldn't do this trade, but I don't see that player anymore. So instead we get Howard for 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, and renegotiate the player option for 2008-2009 when the time comes.

We have a team that can already make the playoffs, even as young, inexperienced, and dumb as we are. Further, we have a team that would obviously be much better, and have another 5 victories at least, if we had a post scorer we could count on not to fumble passes and punish other teams for double teaming and collapsing on Lamar and Kobe.

I'm just bringing up Howard for consideration, but he would be a very valuable veteran role player for us if we are contending in the next 2-3 years. Certainly his $6 million salary could be worked around in terms of signing someone down the road. We're going to win with Kobe first, and Lamar second (unless we trade him for another star), and after that we're going to need role players who have savvy and confidence to fill their roles. Juwan Howard could be that guy.

Personally, I believe we will be serious contenders in 2007-2008 with the roster we have, as Bynum and our other young guys step up, continue to develop, and we master Phil's Tri sets. Here's the roster in 2007-2008:

1 - Smush/Sasha (both cheap)
2 - Kobe/Profit
3 - Odom/Walton
4 - Kwame/Howard/Cook/Turiaf
5 - Mihm/Howard/Kwame

Howard would be a 6th man type and get about 24-26 minutes a game for us, and even start and play more if Kwame doesn't come around. He could play a very valuable role. Anyhow, I'm just bringing it up for consideration, since I'm not as desperate as most are about the prospects of this team with a little more seasoning (and inserting a few more role playing veterans to balance things out).

Last edited by critical_beatdown on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I am going to puke if Howard is a Laker
His mentality is why every team he is in is either a bottom feeder or simply loser. The guy has no defense.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Does Juwan really play no defense? Admittedly I haven't watched him much in the past year or two, but I never really thought of him as horrible on defense. Not great, not horrible, just serviceable.

And the role we'd need him to fill would be the 4 in the Tri, especially in clutch situations. He can hit the J, score down low, and is smart and savvy. Other than defense, he's easily on a par with Horace Grant later in his career.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Does Juwan really play no defense? Admittedly I haven't watched him much in the past year or two, but I never really thought of him as horrible on defense. Not great, not horrible, just serviceable.

And the role we'd need him to fill would be the 4 in the Tri, especially in clutch situations. He can hit the J, score down low, and is smart and savvy. Other than defense, he's easily on a par with Horace Grant later in his career.

Admittedly it would make more sense combined with a McGrady trade, since if we got McGrady, we wouldn't need another superstar, and then a veteran Tri 4 in Juwan Howard would be a better investment for the next 3 seasons, as you'd want to surround Kobe and Tracy with a balance of our young, emerging talent and veteran leadership and experience.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Jesus Christ.
shane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Jesus Christ.

well put.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: