American missionary tries to convert indigenous island people; receives the Magellan treatment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
A large portion of Christians (Catholic and Protestant) believe those who have no opportunity to hear the gospel aren't automatically damned to hell.

Of course it is every Christian's duty to live Christ-like and spread the Word of God. But no where in the Bible does it imply you should endanger the lives of natives by bringing diseases to them.
and that is my point. no where does it say harm people physically to bring them the word. there are other ways to get the word to them safely. But where DMR may be correct and its usually the case. you have people that have a God complex and they want to go to these places and SAVE these people. It's a lot of reason why you have people going to africa and other 3rd world areas to help out. Some of that help isnt coming from a good place. sure the assistance is still needed and the locals may be able to use that extra helping hand. but the person doing the help isnt doing it for help sake. they are doing it to have that God feeling. I help these people that are super super low on the totem pole and they will look at me like i'm a God. that will make me feel like a God.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
A large portion of Christians (Catholic and Protestant) believe those who have no opportunity to hear the gospel aren't automatically damned to hell.

Of course it is every Christian's duty to live Christ-like and spread the Word of God. But no where in the Bible does it imply you should endanger the lives of natives by bringing diseases to them.
and that is my point. no where does it say harm people physically to bring them the word. there are other ways to get the word to them safely. But where DMR may be correct and its usually the case. you have people that have a God complex and they want to go to these places and SAVE these people. It's a lot of reason why you have people going to africa and other 3rd world areas to help out. Some of that help isnt coming from a good place. sure the assistance is still needed and the locals may be able to use that extra helping hand. but the person doing the help isnt doing it for help sake. they are doing it to have that God feeling. I help these people that are super super low on the totem pole and they will look at me like i'm a God. that will make me feel like a God.

Doesn't that imply "these people" don't have a God, or a religion in place that holds their belief system is the right one? One that suits their needs? The term "these people" is demeaning to me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He thought it was cool because he gave them a football.

I guess they prefer other sports....

Like archery and javelin throw ...

I will admit a Bass Pro Shops Gift Card may have been a better gift.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
That is a very strict immigration policy.

Shhhh, don't give Trump any ideas....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The difference between Capital Punishment and this instance is that the missionary's death is a direct result of his actions, like someone jumping into the tiger enclosure at the zoo. You know there is a probability that you will get attacked and if so, death is the likely outcome. That is a function of circumstance tied directly to the act itself as opposed to a punitive action that is taken by a later that is not directly tied to the act.

Or the bear dude who whispered to bears, encroached upon bears, placed himself among bears, and was killed and eaten by bears.

That's actually a very good example. Grizzly Man demonstrated the same kind of cavalier arrogance we are talking about here. He knowingly ventured into bear territory understanding the power and potential of the bears to kill. He foolishly treated the bears as if they were beasts that could be tamed by him. He, under those circumstances, not only brought about his own death, but the death of his girlfriend whom he took on his venture deep into bear country. That decision is on him. He is responsible for the fates of he and his girlfriend, and his fate was unfortunate, but warranted. It was warranted in the sense that he was extremely negligent, the outcome was completely predictable and put others at risk, including the bears, two of which were killed by rangers after he and his girlfriend were found dead.

I think the mistake some people are making here when they see some of us say this missionary's death was "deserved" is thy are thinking in the draconian, revenge sense of the word rather than the simple deductive sense of it. For example, no one wants to see someone burned by a flame, but if someone puts their hand in that flame and gets burned, that burn was deserved. It's not cruel or repulsive to acknowledge that fact. It's simply logic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
For example, no one wants to see someone burned by a flame, but if someone puts their hand in that flame and gets burned, that burn was deserved. It's not cruel or repulsive to acknowledge that fact. It's simply logic.

Using that logic gives logical sense for the death of Chau. I think in the draconian sense. His death was cruel. Not siding with his reasons for intruding into a cultures habitat uninvited. A culture known to be life threatening to intruders.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
For example, no one wants to see someone burned by a flame, but if someone puts their hand in that flame and gets burned, that burn was deserved. It's not cruel or repulsive to acknowledge that fact. It's simply logic.

Using that logic gives logical sense for the death of Chau. I think in the draconian sense. His death was cruel. Not siding with his reasons for intruding into a cultures habitat uninvited. A culture known to be life threatening to intruders.

No it wasn't. At least not in the context it occurred. It might seem cruel to you and I coming from our societal perspective. But his death was not cruel in the context it happened because the islanders weren't intending to be unnecessarily violent or cause unwarranted death. They were protecting themselves in the way they know how, in the manner that know is effective and that is imperative to their sense of survival. To them it was quite practical, and they aren't wrong. Same way a tiger isn't wrong for mauling some idiot who jumps into their enclosure. The tiger is simply doing what the tiger knows (and before any dumbass tries to pretend that means I am equating the islanders to animals, let's just stop that nonsense before it begins).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

No it wasn't. At least not in the context it occurred. It might seem cruel to you and I coming from our societal perspective. But his death was not cruel in the context it happened because the islanders weren't intending to be unnecessarily violent or cause unwarranted death. They were protecting themselves in the way they know how, in the manner that know is effective and that is imperative to their sense of survival. To them it was quite practical, and they aren't wrong. Same way a tiger isn't wrong for mauling some idiot who jumps into their enclosure. The tiger is simply doing what the tiger knows (and before any dumbass tries to pretend that means I am equating the islanders to animals, let's just stop that nonsense before it begins).

Quote:
Using that logic gives logical sense for the death of Chau.

I'm not disputing your logic. It makes sense. I'm saying his death was cruel using a humanitarian appliance.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Doesn't that imply "these people" don't have a God, or a religion in place that holds their belief system is the right one? One that suits their needs? The term "these people" is demeaning to me.

perhaps they do or perhaps they dont.

if there is an actual right one. and one belief system is that right system. then what should those people from that belief system do? hold their tongues? dont mention it? thats an option. but if thats the case they are not doing their duty to help the rest of us(if that is true of course). this is religious beliefs in a nutshell. some may say but that is arrogance. yes, if it's the incorrect choice of belief system. or if no God actually exists. but if a God does exist and there is a right and wrong choice in system. then this is not arrogance its knowledge. now i'm not talking about what this guy did answering your question we've all agreed he was foolish doing what he did and the scriptures are not telling you to put people in harms way like that just to say you went to a tribe and spread the gospel.

lastly the term "these people" is not demeaning at all. It's a way to refer to those people. I dont know the names of those people. I have yet to speak with those people and get their true exact names or names of their tribe. I didnt read the article. I saw that headline and already knew what had happened before it was posted on LG. i was like, that was a bad idea. These people over here are just that. people over here that i do not have a name for.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
That is a very strict immigration policy.

Shhhh, don't give Trump any ideas....

I’m sure numb nuts has already thought about that. He would do it if it were not so illegal
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He thought it was cool because he gave them a football.

I guess they prefer other sports....

Like archery and javelin throw ...

I will admit a Bass Pro Shops Gift Card may have been a better gift.

lmao!!!!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

I thought there were more people in the tribe....estimates are 15-500.....but says most estimate only between 50-200. I wonder if a crate of modern fishing rods, nets and accessories were dropped on the island, would they utilize them?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I thought there were more people in the tribe....estimates are 15-500.....but says most estimate only between 50-200. I wonder if a crate of modern fishing rods, nets and accessories were dropped on the island, would they utilize them?

Anthropologists believe these people have been surviving on that island for possibly as long as 60,000 years. Not sure why they'd need our fishing gear.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
"these people"[/u][/i] is demeaning to me.

how the (bleep) could that phrase be demeaning?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Anthropologists believe these people have been surviving on that island for possibly as long as 60,000 years. Not sure why they'd need our fishing gear.

well, via my deep research of them which mostly included skimming their wikipedia page, it claims they use "more rudimentary methods to catch local seafood, such as mud crabs". I would have to think some Shimano and Daiwa reels with some Gloomis rods.....maybe add some cool lures and they could take their fishing game to a whole new level. Maybe even toss in some cargo fishing shorts, and some of those cool fishing hats with the lures hooked around the crown.

My real inquiry was not so much about their need, but would they try to utilize it if it was there or would they reject it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I said to me. It's demeaning because Black people are referred to as these/you people.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I said to me. It's demeaning because Black people are referred to as these/you people.

The words aren't demeaning. They can be used in demeaning fashion in some contexts, but the words "these people" are not demeaning in and of themselves without a context that makes them so, whether you say "to me" or not.

It's like saying "ape" is a demeaning word simply because some have used it in derogatory way.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

You can always use better tools. Just because you're ok with the way things are, doesnt mean they couldnt get better for you.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

they are referred in that manner because white racist people have used that as a dog whistle/code word for N-words. Now jo already knows I'm not using those two words "these people" to mean anything derogatory about the tribe. For one. I'm black. so the "these people" coming from me can't have the same negative connotation that it has when its said by racist white people. There's a history behind that phrase in that regard. there is no history behind black people saying it when referring to a tribe. Context is key.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
And therein lies the difficult issue with faith, because it is nearly impossible to keep it solely in one's own personal space entirely.
No. its not faith. its any knowledge of any kind. any belief of any kind. People really act like its just religion where this takes place. its not.

religion is a knowledge base of things some people believe to be true.

at the end of the day its information. you can choose to keep the info to yourself or attempt to spread it. Now the question is, how do you attempt to spread it? By Force? or in some other manner.

if the missionary was there to teach them math or science there wouldnt be any difference. He would think he had knowledge to give that they did not possess and he wouldnt know for sure if that was true until he contacted them or had some other person do so and report back.

It's a simple question of should one spread what they perceive to be good knowledge(assuming if you're not doing so by force)? Yes or No.

Last edited by splashmtn on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The words aren't demeaning. They can be used in demeaning fashion in some contexts, but the words "these people" are not demeaning in and of themselves without a context that makes them so, whether you say "to me" or not.

It's like saying "ape" is a demeaning word simply because some have used it in derogatory way.

I say "to me" because they are "to me." I understand what you're saying. Context is definitive, I'm not using context, I relating to a phrase that's demeaning to me.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

they are referred in that manner because white racist people have used that as a dog whistle/code word for N-words. Now jo already knows I'm not using those two words "these people" to mean anything derogatory about the tribe. For one. I'm black. so the "these people" coming from me can't have the same negative connotation that it has when its said by racist white people. There's a history behind that phrase in that regard. there is no history behind black people saying it when referring to a tribe. Context is key.

That's what I'm hearing a dog whistle. I'm not tagging you for the phrase.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's what I'm hearing a dog whistle. I'm not tagging you for the phrase.
thats because your ears are wide open to that sound. i get it. and I understand it. Just remember, the context means everything. There is a time and a place to say these people and those people which isnt meant to be negative in any way.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
And therein lies the difficult issue with faith, because it is nearly impossible to keep it solely in one's own personal space entirely.
No. its not faith. its any knowledge of any kind. any belief of any kind. People really act like its just religion where this takes place. its not.

religion is a knowledge base of things some people belief are true.

at the end of the day its information. you can choose to keep the info to yourself or attempt to spread it. Now the question is, how do you attempt to spread it? By Force? or in some other manner.

if the missionary was there to teach them math or science there wouldnt be any difference. He would think he had knowledge to give that they did not possess and he wouldnt know for sure if that was true until he contacted them or had some other person do so and report back.

It's a simple question of should one spread what they perceive to be good knowledge(assuming if you're not doing so by force)? Yes or No.

Math and Science has facts/evidence supporting the belief while religion is a belief without requiring supporting facts/evidence... not the same
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The difference between Capital Punishment and this instance is that the missionary's death is a direct result of his actions, like someone jumping into the tiger enclosure at the zoo. You know there is a probability that you will get attacked and if so, death is the likely outcome. That is a function of circumstance tied directly to the act itself as opposed to a punitive action that is taken by a later that is not directly tied to the act.

Or the bear dude who whispered to bears, encroached upon bears, placed himself among bears, and was killed and eaten by bears.

That's actually a very good example. Grizzly Man demonstrated the same kind of cavalier arrogance we are talking about here. He knowingly ventured into bear territory understanding the power and potential of the bears to kill. He foolishly treated the bears as if they were beasts that could be tamed by him. He, under those circumstances, not only brought about his own death, but the death of his girlfriend whom he took on his venture deep into bear country. That decision is on him. He is responsible for the fates of he and his girlfriend, and his fate was unfortunate, but warranted. It was warranted in the sense that he was extremely negligent, the outcome was completely predictable and put others at risk, including the bears, two of which were killed by rangers after he and his girlfriend were found dead.

I think the mistake some people are making here when they see some of us say this missionary's death was "deserved" is thy are thinking in the draconian, revenge sense of the word rather than the simple deductive sense of it. For example, no one wants to see someone burned by a flame, but if someone puts their hand in that flame and gets burned, that burn was deserved. It's not cruel or repulsive to acknowledge that fact. It's simply logic.

but wait DMR. you're the same person who killed anyone in that thread about the teacher Popping the student upside the head. I said the exact same thing you said just in a different situation. the kid asked for it, and got what he deserved. the teacher should be fired per the law. but there are times people to need to get what they ask for. for a lesson for themselves(if they survive it) and for others that are watching it. I feel the same way about that incident that I do about this one. But you on the other hand see them as different when they are actually the same in that regard. Its not about revenge. its about some times people need to get what they ask for. So hopefully in the future either they wont ask for said things and/or others that saw it will not ask for it either. lesson learned hopefully.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: