Why are the Clippers more successful than us FOR THESE PAST 7 YEARS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
The Clippers are a mirage...Only have average and some good players. They won't be able to sustain winning so much without great players.

They just need to do enough to entice a big name free agent to sign with them.....and somehow they are in the conversation turning other teams garbage into a team that is winning right now.

they're not popular, but they are skilled unknown players. id like to have half of them on our squad. if you think kuzma is great, a few of the clips are better.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Cuz they have consistent closers?
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers are reminiscent of the 2015 60-win hawks team. Awesome and deep at every position. Great RS performers but once the Post-Season starts probably get washed by a star-led team.

Lou is great in the regular season but dude is notorious in the post-season to poop the bed.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

They have better shooting from Tobias Harris, Lou Williams, and Gallinari.

We have Josh Hart (the first 10) and KCP (the last 5 games). If one of Lonzo, Kuz, or BI ever manage to hit 3s on a consistent basis, we'd have a much better record.

Also, the Clipps probably shoot much better free throws.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:

We have Josh Hart (the first 10) and KCP (the last 5 games). If one of Lonzo, Kuz, or BI ever manage to hit 3s on a consistent basis, we'd have a much better record.

They take the most and make the most FTs
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
MJST wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
Top 10 in O
Top 10 in D
Top 10 in FG%
Top 10 in 3P%
Top 10 in FT% Lakers are 26th in that.

It's almost like this guy Jerry West crafted the Lakers team that Shaq said yes to joining.. and is now trying to do similar with Kawhi.

he went to memphis and now theyre good. (I like to think he told Pau to go to Lakers).
He went to the Warriors, and now theyre a dynasty.
He went to the damn clippers and now theyre good.

I just remember all those Lakers fans that were here disrespecting Jerry West when we denied him coming here, saying he was old, and a bunch of other disrespectful stuff as if the Lakers didn't need him or his insight in the FO.

And now.....
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject:

Obviously because Lebron "making teammates better" is a myth.. he won because he had Wade Bosh Kyrie and Kevin Love

Magic and Pelinka has work cut out for them
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
to answer OP, the CLips right now are far more talented than we are. I mean that overall. LG will argue we have more talent with defense, stars, rebounding, etc. But so what. They have way more shooting talent. They're not bricking fts for losses, and bricking everything while down 2 pts with 1 minute left (I'm talking desperate threes and other shots, you gotta be able to make those).

We had Lou, and we didn't like him. For no reason really. Now they have him and he is doing great. I'd love to have his 90+ ft% on this squad. But we dont like that. We don't like KCP either, right? ANyone who is a good shooter, we dont like. Well, now we have this bad shooting team and we are wondering why a good shooting team is better than us?

screw the clips.

Welcome to LG

A lot of brilliant posters wanted him gone because he was holding back certain player's growth. lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject:

1) Clippers have played together longer. Our team has basically been together for 2 months.

2) Our team is not constructed properly since we have an excess in certain skillsets and a glaring deficiency in others. This unfortunately is by design, since we were only signing 1 year contracts to ensure that max cap spot for next year.

3) The best players on our team, excluding Lebron, are essentially 2 yr players. BI is a 3rd year. All of them are extremely young and are prone to rookie mistakes. Clippers don't rely on a group of rookies to win games. We do if Lebron has an off day.

4)This probably applies to the Clippers as well. but might as well write it down. There's a motivation problem since a lot of the vets know they're not sticking around long term. Even with the young players, they have to know they can be trade bait at any time. Hard to instill continuity and trust.

5) They have a better more experienced coach who makes better game time decisions.

Last edited by Vanquish on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
to answer OP, the CLips right now are far more talented than we are. I mean that overall. LG will argue we have more talent with defense, stars, rebounding, etc. But so what. They have way more shooting talent. They're not bricking fts for losses, and bricking everything while down 2 pts with 1 minute left (I'm talking desperate threes and other shots, you gotta be able to make those).

We had Lou, and we didn't like him. For no reason really. Now they have him and he is doing great. I'd love to have his 90+ ft% on this squad. But we dont like that. We don't like KCP either, right? ANyone who is a good shooter, we dont like. Well, now we have this bad shooting team and we are wondering why a good shooting team is better than us?

screw the clips.

Welcome to LG

A lot of brilliant posters wanted him gone because he was holding back certain player's growth. lol

I can only speak for myself. But I wanted him gone to aid the tank. In other words, I wanted him gone because he was a good player. I wanted the team to have the best chance at getting a top 3 pick and Lou could have seriously damaged our chances.

I can't remember how many years of Lou contract were we on the hook for. I can't imagine him sticking ard with us for 7 mil like he is doing with the clippers. When he played for them, they were already a winning team. With him - at our then trajectory - , we might still have been a lottery team with an unproven coach.

Lastly if we land the Max FA next year, does letting Lou go really matter? Lou is a good player, but he's no Lebron, KD, or Kawhi. The current team is a placeholder, it is by no means the finished product. I'm just enjoying the fact that we'll - knock on wood - get into the playoffs this year and the young guys can gain some playoff experience.
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject:

I can see the rationale behind the Rondo signing (although, not at 9 million / year), but Stephenson/Beasley made no sense at the time of signing and make no sense now. Retaining Randle, signing Ellington, Napier, Bjelica, these moves would have made much more sense than what Magic/Pelinka decided upon.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject:

Yellow wrote:
I can see the rationale behind the Rondo signing (although, not at 9 million / year), but Stephenson/Beasley made no sense at the time of signing and make no sense now. Retaining Randle, signing Ellington, Napier, Bjelica, these moves would have made much more sense than what Magic/Pelinka decided upon.

Could we have resigned Randle while maintaining the 2nd max slot for next year? This assumes Randle wouldn't have agreed to a 1 year deal.

I am just guessing, not really looking at the numbers. But I think at 9 mil (his current salary), that would still take us out of the 38 mil max slot.

This is just an educated guess, someone who has actually done the numbers might show me that I'm totally off the mark with this point
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

They take the most and make the most FTs

Such an underappreciated aspect of the game.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

screw the clips.

Welcome to LG

I can only speak for myself. But I wanted him gone to aid the tank. In other words, I wanted him gone because he was a good player. I wanted the team to have the best chance at getting a top 3 pick and Lou could have seriously damaged our chances.

I can't remember how many years of Lou contract were we on the hook for. I can't imagine him sticking ard with us for 7 mil like he is doing with the clippers. When he played for them, they were already a winning team. With him - at our then trajectory - , we might still have been a lottery team with an unproven coach.

Lastly if we land the Max FA next year, does letting Lou go really matter? Lou is a good player, but he's no Lebron, KD, or Kawhi. The current team is a placeholder, it is by no means the finished product. I'm just enjoying the fact that we'll - knock on wood - get into the playoffs this year and the young guys can gain some playoff experience.

I would have loved to keep Lou but yes he was ruining the tank just like Nick Young and Jodie Meeks (bleep) up the draft position to get Embiid
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

He ended up getting us Hart, no?

Lou was traded and we got Brewer and the pick which was traded to get Hart/Bryant.

IIRC we traded DLO for Brook and what was eventually the Kuz pick.

Lou is a fun regular season player but hasn't done much in the playoffs. Heck, the brilliant Rox traded him too for CP3.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

I was saying at the time he was our best player. Losing him for nothing was not good.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I was saying at the time he was our best player. Losing him for nothing was not good.

We ended up getting a pick that was used to get Hart and Thomas Bryant.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Lou low-key wanted off the team. Harden was recruiting him during the season, and Pelinka did Lou a solid. Personally I always liked Lou and I think he's a guy who far outplays his contract. He didn't want to be part of a rebuild and I can't blame him. I thought the situation was handled well by all sides considering the circumstances.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

Interesting take on the Clippers.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/8xp5zz/the-clippers-dont-care-about-threes-they-just-hoop-bro
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Drifts wrote:

He was. But the team also had a bunch of recently drafted players who weren't hitting their strides. Lou wasn't the problem. It was playing 4 guards equal minutes (DLO/JC/Young/Lou). We had 1 too many and the young guys needed development b/c we were tanking.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/8xp5zz/the-clippers-dont-care-about-threes-they-just-hoop-bro

They get to the line a ton and they also convert. They are 1st in FTAs, and 5th in %.

Lakers 3PA 29.4. #22
Clippers 3PA 25.3. #27
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

They get to the line a ton and they also convert. They are 1st in FTAs, and 5th in %.

Lakers 3PA 29.4. #22
Clippers 3PA 25.3. #27

Yup. But what was most interesting to me is that rather than forcing a particular execution, they’re just playing and taking advantage of what the defense gives them.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lakers 3PA 29.4. #22
Clippers 3PA 25.3. #27

I remember us getting to the line a ton when Lou was here. He'd have nights were he'd shoot like 4/7 from the field but finish with 20 points because he got to the line. Was a master of the 4-point play. Thing is, I also remember that whenever Lou went off, the team didn't play as well. Looks like he found a good fit with the Clippers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lakers 3PA 29.4. #22
Clippers 3PA 25.3. #27

I remember us getting to the line a ton when Lou was here. He'd have nights were he'd shoot like 4/7 from the field but finish with 20 points because he got to the line. Was a master of the 4-point play. Thing is, I also remember that whenever Lou went off, the team didn't play as well. Looks like he found a good fit with the Clippers.

And then in the playoffs no calls. Happens with DRoz too and even Harden.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: