Marvel Cinematic Universe - Discussion (Spider-man No Way Home 12/17) đź•·
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

My biggest gripe, no one, NO ONE, died during the last fight. I mean come on, Thanos is the big bad and no one dies "fighting" him outside of Tony Stark sacrificing himself basically. I wish Thanos would have taken out a couple of Avengers before losing.

Oh well, it was a fantastic superhero flick. Plot holes here and there but whatever it was awesome. End of an era.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was pretty good especially by MCU standards. In general my preferred storytelling style is what we saw in the first act of the movie where basically characters are processing their trauma. It's a slow burner with lots of space given to allow the characters to breathe. I was really surprised to see that in this movie. I honestly thought the Tony Stark stuff throughout the movie was fantastic.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the pacing of the final battle scene being pretty coherent (even if it was just a bunch of cameos) as far as big action set pieces go. I did think the plot was pretty poor but I've never really been one to care about plot holes as long as the character writing is tight (plot should be in service of characters).

My biggest criticism was mostly that the second act was just kind of boring, I just don't really like time traveling and I thought the rules were not established at all, robbing it a lot of tension. Then add to that the social activism (posturing), corny jokes, meta references, and maybe other Marvel nonsense I can't think of that basically just take you out of the movie entirely.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Wow!

11 years wow!

People nitpicking plots here and there that’s fine, but that stuff personally isn’t important to me. This movie’s meaning was deeper, it was the perfect ending to all those movies before it.

When Iron Man came out in 2008, I took a girl out I had met just 2 weeks prior to see that movie with me.

Fast forward 11 years and 22 movies later, I’m now married to her with 2 kids and we’ve watched all 22 movies together.

What a crazy ride.

Thank you Marvel. Your movies will always be a part of our life.

https://twitter.com/mcuhollnd/status/1121759187577577473?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Also something I forgot to mention, there was this one really beautiful shot of Captain America (towards the start of the 3rd act) that was super nice and deserves some specific praise
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I also like how Tony Stark makes his own version of the infinity gauntlet lickety split from earthly materials when Thanos' gauntlet took space dwarves using magic uru to harness the energy of the stones originally.

Yeah and Tony’s gauntlet couldn’t handle the stones unlike Thanos’ gauntlet that even Hulk couldn’t wield it long and had to snap before he passed out.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
So past Nebula comes back to the future with the rest of the Avengers, but then how is past Thanos and his army able to time jump? Wouldn't he need more pym particles?

There was a scene where evil Nebula gave Thanos the Pym particle of future Nebula. Thanos then used that to get his mother ship with his whole fleet inside to the future.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Wow!

11 years wow!

People nitpicking plots here and there that’s fine, but that stuff personally isn’t important to me. This movie’s meaning was deeper, it was the perfect ending to all those movies before it.

When Iron Man came out in 2008, I took a girl out I had met just 2 weeks prior to see that movie with me.

Fast forward 11 years and 22 movies later, I’m now married to her with 2 kids and we’ve watched all 22 movies together.

What a crazy ride.

That's amazing stuff man!

It really has been a great ride. Salute to them, they have become a large fabric of our culture and it's been great seeing it from start to finish.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
So past Nebula comes back to the future with the rest of the Avengers, but then how is past Thanos and his army able to time jump? Wouldn't he need more pym particles?

There was a scene where evil Nebula gave Thanos the Pym particle of future Nebula. Thanos then used that to get his mother ship with his whole fleet inside to the future.

But evil nebula used it to come back with the avengers. How did she have extra?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

thats enough for 2 trips. There was a scene earlier where antman explains theres enough pym particles for everyone to have a round trip.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

thats enough for 2 trips. There was a scene earlier where antman explains theres enough pym particles for everyone to have a round trip.

Good nebula has one pym particle she used to get to the past. So how can bad nebula solo it back (round trip) has and then thanos comes to the future on his ship?
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

Good nebula has one pym particle she used to get to the past. So how can bad nebula solo it back (round trip) has and then thanos comes to the future on his ship?

The 2 is 2 chances to use it to get back to the future. When Antman was describing the process he accidentally used it once and said he now only has one shot to make it back, he was still able to make the round trip.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Wow!

11 years wow!

What a crazy ride.

That's cool. Let me guess, your kid's names are Happy and Pepper?
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

1/3 into the movie was good and entertaining, 2/3 of the movie was a little confusing and boring TBH, 3/3 epic ending. Overall, just another avengers and Marvel flick. I give it a B-

Infinity war was a masterpiece.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I keep hearing people talk about this movie and express their excitement and I'm happy for all those fans. But as much as I would like to pump myself up to see this, after the ending of the last Avengers, I just can't do it. The last 15 minutes of that movie was such manipulative BS that it killed the series for me.

That Infinity War ending was what actually made the ending of Endgame epic! No other way Marvel could've pulled off the ending of Endgame without ending Infinity War the way it did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

Honestly, I was surprised by how engaged I was through the 3 hours. I didn't think it would get into deep specifics about the science, but I was okay with that. Just happy I enjoyed it so much. It's rare to find a movie that actually wraps things up in a bow tie cleanly, but this did a solid job.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Spoiler.. Kind of wish Drax would've had a hand in killing Thanos, given their history and Drax's quest to avenge the murder of his family. There was some unexplored catharsis there. Drax was pivotal to the Guardians films, but was rarely used in these last two Avengers flicks. But as I stated previously, some story arcs will be sacrificed in these mega ensemble productions. Can't complain about how they handled Stark's final sequence though, he really did deserve to bring it all to a close.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

I also like how Tony Stark makes his own version of the infinity gauntlet lickety split from earthly materials when Thanos' gauntlet took space dwarves using magic uru to harness the energy of the stones originally.

Yeah and Tony’s gauntlet couldn’t handle the stones unlike Thanos’ gauntlet that even Hulk couldn’t wield it long and had to snap before he passed out.

Stark builds a backup gauntlet into his Iron Man suit that steals the stones at the last minute and then Tony uses them without all of Hulk's histrionics. The MCU creators established long ago that Tony Stark is a magical genius wizard when necessary, which I can roll with just fine since it's at its core a dumb comic movie franchise.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Stark builds a backup gauntlet into his Iron Man suit that steals the stones at the last minute and then Tony uses them without all of Hulk's histrionics. The MCU creators established long ago that Tony Stark is a magical genius wizard when necessary, which I can roll with just fine since it's at its core a dumb comic movie franchise.

He did, watch it again. Not as dramatic as the Hulk sure. But oh snap!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

He did, watch it again. Not as dramatic as the Hulk sure. But oh snap!

I'll save the money for Detective Pikachu
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Next, John Wick 3 then Toy Story 4 and Lion King for the fam.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Next, John Wick 3

My Christmas.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I keep hearing people talk about this movie and express their excitement and I'm happy for all those fans. But as much as I would like to pump myself up to see this, after the ending of the last Avengers, I just can't do it. The last 15 minutes of that movie was such manipulative BS that it killed the series for me. I don't think I could muster the desire to see this next of if it were three minutes, much less at 3 hours.

I sincerely hope everyone else enjoys it, but I just can't do it. And it pains me to say that.

Manipulative because it forces you to watch the next movie by being a cliffhanger?

All franchises do that to some extent. Most of the Star Wars movies and even most superhero movies do that. The comic book they adapted wouldn’t have worked well in one movie so they split it. Would you have felt differently if they kept the names Infinity War part 1 and part 2?

I'm all for a good cliffhanger. GOT had an amazing one to end Season 7.

The end of Infinity War was less a cliffhanger than it was a cheesy gimmick for shock value's sake. A cliffhanger leaves you wondering what's going to happen next and excited to find out. Supposedly killing off almost every character when you know they can't all be dead was just silly and insulting to the intelligence. Took me right out of the whole thing.

I can see that. It can definitely seem gimmicky to kill half of the characters and try to get the audience to buy that this really has any stakes.

As a fan of these movies perhaps I'm willing to be more lenient with criticism towards them although a lot of them have their flaws. In defense of Infinity War I would say that the writers had a story to wrap up and planned to do it through 2 movies. They needed to end the first movie somewhere and it is logical to end it on a loss for the heroes. The way the movies were split it allowed the villain to be the protagonist and accomplish his mission in the first film and then giving most of the screen time to the heroes in the second film. IW was able to be a self contained "Thanos movie" while also serving as a first act for the Avengers team with acts 2 and 3 being covered in Endgame.

IMO Marvel wasn't trying to get viewers to buy-in to the heroes deaths actually sticking when the snap happened but rather setting up "how the hell are they gonna fix this?". While it was covered in the comic, you don't have to read it to know that the heroes were coming back. I don't think that was ever the intention - to trick the viewer. But that that's just my take. For a comic book movie I thought they were both great, but that's all they are - comic book movies.

What it set up in Endgame most interestingly - but it occurred almost too quickly in the middle of the climactic battle to have sufficient impact, imo - is what Thanos thinks of trauma and his final solution for it. The entire movie centers around trauma and survivors guilt in the wreckage of Thanos' abuse and mass murder spree in Infinity War, and so in that way I appreciated how Endgame's first 1/2-2/3rds foregrounded that pain and how the Avengers work through it in their own ways.

But I thought the fan service-y moments of closure facilitated via time travel - moments that likely made for "better cinema" to the Russo brothers - were somewhat facile in literalizing the main characters' engagement with their pasts and actually undercut said characters' growth. Thanos offers a final solution that needed more time to breathe, imo, because Stark's choice is not just about being selfless in completion of his MCU series character arc, it's about choosing life even with the mass of pain, guilt, anger, regret, etc. that comes with and even augments the good stuff of being human. I think time travel becomes a lazy heuristic in Endgame not because it undoes the deaths of Infinity War, but because it literalizes the metaphor of processing trauma in trite ways: Nebula offs her past, Thor and Tony deal with their parental issues, Cap undoes his one regret, etc.

Of course, the appeal is that we never get such easy closure in real life, but we can project ourselves onto these ĂĽbermenschen who are made to experience pain like we do on screen and can overcome it through the fantastical. That's what fairy tales are for. Yet it seems like there's no dark truth in the MCU like there is in a modern fairy tale like The Shape of Water in which escape from a broken, hate-filled society is a bittersweet necessity. Because in the MCU there's nothing wrong with the world that doesn't come from them, the outsider, and/or can't be fixed with a little superhero elbow grease and ingenuity. Trauma fades away like tendrils of ash in the wind in the MCU. And then on to the next external threat and box office bonanza.

tl;dr: it's manipulative because IW and EG play in the sandbox of trauma without the creators wanting anyone to get dirty. It's telling that the Fast & Furious franchise deals with loss in a more real way albeit only after the loss of a real life.

A more cogent article on what I was trying to get at above:
Quote:
This, of course, is not how actual grieving works. In fact, one of the core agonies of grief is the permanence of the thing you’re grieving. Your mother is gone. That job ended. Your partner found someone else. Grief is a state and a condition, and you cannot outsmart it by going back in time. Sure, one of the foundational appeals of fiction is that it provides us with a break from reality — the impossible can happen in a superhero movie because of the nature of the characters — but Endgame flirts with real pathos before quickly running away from it. Before you know it, the Avengers are busily working to save the day and undo Thanos’ devastating act. Endgame may be three hours long, but apparently there’s little time for genuine grief beyond a few stray tears.

Link: Tim Grierson
pierremonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

In Tony's funeral scene, who is the asian kid that is with Ronin's family? Also, there was one kid that is on camera when they pan towards Maria Hill that seemed to stand out. Do you guys know if he is someone significant. And then lastly, I might have imagined it but it looked like Howard Stark that was on camera too but I'm almost certain I imagined that.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

pierremonkey wrote:
In Tony's funeral scene, who is the asian kid that is with Ronin's family? Also, there was one kid that is on camera when they pan towards Maria Hill that seemed to stand out. Do you guys know if he is someone significant. And then lastly, I might have imagined it but it looked like Howard Stark that was on camera too but I'm almost certain I imagined that.

The kid near Maria Hill was Harley from IM3
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Was it the greatest movie every? Definitely not. But it did one thing many shows/series fail to do and give a satisfying ending. Sure, I wish Thanos would have taken a few Avengers with him on the way out(just to make the ending more dramatic) but overall I'm happy with how things ended. It was more or less a fan service movie with all the good and the bad that comes with it. Maybe Infinity War was a hair better but at the end of the day this was a good way to end this story line. Marvel Studios better have a good plan because they are going to need something big to keep people on board. I've heard that they aren't even thinking about bringing in the X-Men anytime soon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12
Jump to: