88 year old mother reunites w/ daughter she thought died during childbirth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: 88 year old mother reunites w/ daughter she thought died during childbirth

I'm curious what hospital in Indiana this was... how soapy.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/88-year-old-mother-reunites-with-daughter-she-thought-died-during-childbirth/1645622371

Quote:
88-year-old mother reunites with daughter she thought died during childbirth

Since she was a little girl, Connie Moultroup has had the same Christmas wish every year: to meet her biological mother.

This week -- after 69 years -- she finally did thanks to a DNA ancestry kit.

Genevieve Purinton, now 88, gave birth to Moultroup in 1949 at a hospital in Indiana. When she asked to see her daughter hospital staff told her that her baby died after she was born.

"Because she was an unwed mother, she was told that I had died. She continued with her life, not knowing I was still alive," Moultroup told CNN. It was not an uncommon practice at the time, as author Ann Fessler documented in the book, "The Girls Who Went Away."

Moultroup was taken to an orphanage and later adopted by a couple from California. But her adoptive parents passed away a few years later when she was just 5 years old.

"Her adoptive mother died of cancer, and shortly after, her adoptive father was diagnosed with a heart condition," Bonnie Chase, Moultroup's daughter, told CNN.

Moultroup's adoptive father remarried, Chase said, but she said the woman ended up being abusive to her new daughter.

"So the whole time, she just wanted to find her actual mother to rescue her from that horrible situation," Chase said.

After years of searching, Chase decided to give her mother an Ancestry.com DNA testing kit for Christmas last year -- and it changed her life.

Moultroup said it was the best Christmas present she has ever received.

"It took me a while to use it, but when I finally got the results I went from having only three known relatives (a daughter and two grandchildren), to 1,600 relatives. I was floored," Moultroup said.

The results led her to a distant cousin. The two connected, and Moultroup began asking her questions about the family tree.

"I told her my mother's name was Genevieve Purinton, and my cousin said, 'Oh, that's my aunt. And she's still alive, living on her own,'" Moultroup said. "I couldn't believe it. I was going to meet my mother."

Moultroup took her mom's information and sent her a card with contact numbers. On Sept. 8, her mother called.

"I was at church that day, and I never want to leave early, but that day I did. Literally, 20 minutes after getting home, my mother calls," Moultroup said.

They agreed to meet and on Monday, the two reunited at Purinton's home in a retirement community in Tampa, Florida.

"I met my mother and my cousin in person, and we cried. It was just a crying fest," Moultroup said. "Not everybody has this kind of outcome when looking for their parents, but I recommend you give it a try, you don't know what will happen."

The story doesn't end there. In January, Moultroup plans to meet two half-sisters from her father's side.

"We knew nothing about our family; it was just us three," Chase said. "Now through Ancestry, we see we are related to over 4,000 people."
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

yeah...Indiana nuf said
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
yeah...Indiana nuf said

While I can't argue with that I'm curious if this is a hospital I know.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Great story.

Little tear popped out

How much joy must those two have felt when that phone call was made/received

Also, was the article saying unwed mothers had their babies stolen from them because they weren't married?
That is really gross if true
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Great story.

Little tear popped out

Also, was the article saying unwed mothers had their babies stolen from them because they weren't married?

That was common in the US, and many parts of the world, at that time. Not nearly as bad as "The Lost Generation" in Australia, where aboriginal children were taken from their mothers and sent off to re-education camps and then placed with white families once they'd been "sufficiently civilised" - or if old enough - sent to work in service positions. Many in western societies like to pretend that our own barbaric behaviour occurred ages ago when in reality it's not that very far in our collective past. As this article makes evident, there are still people alive today that were victims of this widespread misbehaviour.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Great story.

Little tear popped out

That was common in the US, and many parts of the world, at that time. Not nearly as bad as "The Lost Generation" in Australia, where aboriginal children were taken from their mothers and sent off to re-education camps and then placed with white families once they'd been "sufficiently civilised" - or if old enough - sent to work in service positions. Many in western societies like to pretend that our own barbaric behaviour occurred ages ago when in reality it's not that very far in our collective past. As this article makes evident, there are still people alive today that were victims of this widespread misbehaviour.

It's not even in our past when it comes to separating parents from their children.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Great story.

Little tear popped out

It's not even in our past when it comes to separating parents from their children.

Touche. Makes you sick to your stomach to know that even with the 24 hour news cycle, internet, video age, etal - that these atrocities can still happen under our collective noses. And worse yet, there are tens of millions of people who actually support the barbarism.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: