Ariza Would be a Chandler-Like Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Ariza Would be a Chandler-Like Upgrade

Hey all,

Latest at @BleacherReport If the Lakers can land Trevor Ariza, they should - he'd be a Tyson Chandler-like upgrade
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810180-unlikely-to-land-a-second-star-this-season-lakers-should-settle-for-ariza-trade

Above is a good example where I didn't write the headline.

Also, latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 114: Hollywood Hoops Ep. 114: Should L.A. Lakers LeBron James Be Higher than Third in the Early MVP Race? w/ @JoshMartinNBA
https://player.megaphone.fm/ADL3278797218

Cheers

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I think he is a slighty better then Chandler but both are Impact players which is amazing. both will play a vital role in the playoff run.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles would be wise to include a second-rounder in its offer to Phoenix, maybe even two, but not a first.

Oof. I just can't figure out why that would be wise. To entice the Suns more? Even though they might end up buying Ariza out in a few months?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the 120% limit for KCP, does the base of that include the trade kicker i.e. $13.2M x 1.2 = $15.8 million base salary in a free agent deal?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

A bunch of stuff in the article doesn't make sense or I don't agree with:

1. Lakers were center-deprived when they got Chandler since Zubac wasn't working out to be a backup and Kuz as center is still a mess. Lakers have plenty of players that can play SF. Ariza is a weaker fit at PF (where they still need help) or SG ( which if KCP is dealt, the Lakers would be thin at). Ariza doesn't fulfill the Lakers need as much as Chandler did at the time. Chandler helped this season not be a disaster. I don't think Ariza has that impact.

2. Ariza's minutes would likely come out of Kuz/BI minutes or possibly Lance minutes (although Lance gets ball handler minutes). "Ariza, as long as he's not taking away minutes from [Brandon] Ingram and [Kyle] Kuzma." - yeah it's a no brainer over Carmelo. KCP is a better 2 than Ariza but Ariza is more flexible.

3. It would be a bad decision to include ANY picks in the trade without additional assets coming back. Lakers late picks can be golden. Yeah you can buy them but it's riskier than having your own.

4. Not that Lakers have a chance at trading for AD this year, but you contradict yourself by saying that an Ariza deal doesn't hurt an AD trade but then saying KCPs salary could be used in the trade. Sure Lakers could deal all their other salaries in, but less options do indeed hurt your chances of a deal by making it harder to match.

---------

Where Ariza can help is on perimeter defense although he hasn't shown a lot this year playing for a bad team.

I still would rate a KCP-Ariza swap is pretty close to neutral with maybe a very slight bonus for the Lakers.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers' 2nd is probably in the 50-60 range - the Lakers know they'll probably have a better shot in the undrafted range than in that 50-60 range. It's 31-40 that's more valuable - and they know they can always buy a pick later or trade for one later, etc.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Regarding the 120% limit for KCP, does the base of that include the trade kicker i.e. $13.2M x 1.2 = $15.8 million base salary in a free agent deal?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking - if his salary is kicked from 12 to 13.2 mil what would his cap hold be?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers have Ariza on their roster in Dec they probably get a few more wins (3-5+) than if they added him in March. That's worth a 2nd round that probably never makes it in the NBA (50-60 hit rates are really really low)
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Really wish there was a way for the Lakers to trade Beasley and Stepheson + Salary filler for Ariza. KCP is really starting to play well.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking - if his salary is kicked from 12 to 13.2 mil what would his cap hold be?

I understood from your article that a recipient team could pay KCP via non-bird rights (120% prior year salary, if I'm remembering correctly). I was wondering what his base salary would be for that 20% increase next year, more specifically if that included the trade bonus.
Yueh Fei Returns
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

Our biggest problem is FT%. Without KCP, everyone else will need to step up big time. Maybe that is a good thing. If we want to do this we should do it now and not later.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Our biggest problem is FT%. Without KCP, everyone else will need to step up big time. Maybe that is a good thing. If we want to do this we should do it now and not later.

I agree with this also. I'd rather have KCP in a situation in the closing seconds of a close game where the opponent must foul. KCP being the Lakers only consistently reliable free throw shooter (I don't want bonehead Lance on the floor).
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

I'm trying to understand why people are so hell bent on swapping out Ariza for KCP. Our problem is lack of shooting, and Ariza is shooting just as badly on the season as KCP. On top of that, we already have a logjam at SF which Ariza won't solve. To KCP's credit, he's been getting better as the season has worn on, while Ariza has been consistently bad on the offensive end. No KCP means more time with Lance out on the floor, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Thee trying to find someone to match up with KD, so LeBron doesn't have to guard him in the playoffs.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The Lakers' 2nd is probably in the 50-60 range - the Lakers know they'll probably have a better shot in the undrafted range than in that 50-60 range. It's 31-40 that's more valuable - and they know they can always buy a pick later or trade for one later, etc.

I understand that, but why give up a pick at all? KCP is younger, cheaper, and maybe better than Ariza. Giving up any pick and not getting something in return just makes the Lakers look like suckers.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Ariza is 47% from open 3s this seaso. He's also 42% from corner 3s. 2 looks that Lebron can easily create for him.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Ariza is 47% from open 3s this seaso. He's also 42% from corner 3s. 2 looks that Lebron can easily create for him.

Remember when Ariza couldn’t shoot at all when we first got him?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
leking006 wrote:

Remember when Ariza couldn’t shoot at all when we first got him?

You can thank Kobe
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Thee trying to find someone to match up with KD, so LeBron doesn't have to guard him in the playoffs.

I don't see how that works, either. That means Ariza plays the 3, Bron plays the 4, and Kuzma goes to the second unit. We'd be better off just letting Ingram play out of position at the 2 just for that series for that matchup. I just don't see this as anything other than a lateral move.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:

He's 47% on wide open 3s, 26% on open 3s, and 42% from corner 3s.

KCP is 41% on wide open 3s, 29% on open 3s, and 43% on corner 3s.

Everything I'm seeing on this just points to this being a lateral move, at best, unless KCP is just miserable and agitating to get out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
leking006 wrote:

Everything I'm seeing on this just points to this being a lateral move, at best, unless KCP is just miserable and agitating to get out.

I heard he is.

And Ariza is more versatile defensively. That's what I care about the most frankly.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
leking006 wrote:

I heard he is.

And Ariza is more versatile defensively. That's what I care about the most frankly.

Yeah, especially on switches. At least Ariza can guard bigger guys compare to KCP.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Ariza has defended PGs to PFs last season. He is perfect for our switch heavy schemes. Even Hart can defend bigs, but KCP, not so much. Gets decimated when a big is switched on him.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Ariza has defended PGs to PFs last season. He is perfect for our switch heavy schemes. Even Hart can defend bigs, but KCP, not so much. Gets decimated when a big is switched on him.

Can this lineup a good matchup for warriors small ball (Green as a center)?

Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Ariza, Lebron.

I just don't think this will work when the oppnent fielded in a natural center.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can this lineup a good matchup for warriors small ball (Green as a center)?

Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Ariza, Lebron.

I just don't think this will work when the oppnent fielded in a natural center.

Ariza adds a defensive option against: PG, SG, SF, small ball PFs.

KCP: PG, SG (but not bigger ones like DRoz, Klay, etc.).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: