Good teams dont beat themselves

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Good teams dont beat themselves

Couple things you can count on with any Laker game ..
Poor shooting (FT & open 3s)
And turnovers

We had the same problems last year and what is done about it? Sign more guys that cant shoot

I’ll just keep my stress down by continuing to remind myself that this is a throwaway year. Magic said it himself.
We are a 1st round playoff team as constructed, unless blessed with the perfect match up.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Weird thread to make after Lance actually shot well tonight. Javale is shooting 70% from fts. The guys that can't shoot who get regular mins are KCP and Lonzo and they were here last year.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I said to myself tonight's game would tell us a lot about what kind of team we are.

We suck
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
I said to myself tonight's game would tell us a lot about what kind of team we are.

We suck

In a 82 game season, there is no 1 game that sums up who you are as a team. Teams grow, build and get better. You are a what you are over the duration of the season.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
Weird thread to make after Lance actually shot well tonight. Javale is shooting 70% from fts. The guys that can't shoot who get regular mins are KCP and Lonzo and they were here last year.

This isnt reflective of just one game. I’m talking about this team in general for the season. Lance isnt a floor spacer. Rondo isnt a floor spacer. Beasley isnt a floor spacer. I just cant get over how poorly this team was thrown together

Also .. Weird point to make about KCP not being able to shoot when hes the only one on the team you can count on to hit freethrows. See that? I can do the same thing. 😂
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good teams dont beat themselves

LKA wrote:
And turnovers

We had the same problems last year and what is done about it? Sign more guys that cant shoot

I’ll just keep my stress down by continuing to remind myself that this is a throwaway year. Magic said it himself.
We are a 1st round playoff team as constructed, unless blessed with the perfect match up.

Good teams don't beat themselves?

Remember the "turn on the switch" Lakers that won the Championship in 2010?

or the 3rd Championshop 3-peat Lakers that swept the Nets?

We saw it loads, it didn't matter with the outcome of the season however.

And we've seen it happen to many teams.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
chrisca91 wrote:

We suck

In a 82 game season, there is no 1 game that sums up who you are as a team. Teams grow, build and get better. You are a what you are over the duration of the season.

Yep and this will remain to be a team that loses winnable games because they constantly beat themself. No ones gonna magically make these guys better shooters any time soon
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

This isnt reflective of just one game. I’m talking about this team in general for the season. Lance isnt a floor spacer. Rondo isnt a floor spacer. Beasley isnt a floor spacer. I just cant get over how poorly this team was thrown together

Also .. Weird point to make about KCP not being able to shoot when hes the only one on the team you can count on to hit freethrows. See that? I can do the same thing. 😂

Ah yes, I'm grateful for the 2 FTA that KCP attempts. Where would we be without them?
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Ah yes, I'm grateful for the 2 FTA that KCP attempts. Where would we be without them?

I’m grateful for JaVale’s 2 as well
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Javale rebounds, blocks shots, scores and plays adequate defense. There are literally no positives with KCP.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Good teams dont beat themselves

MJST wrote:
LKA wrote:
And turnovers

Good teams don't beat themselves?

Remember the "turn on the switch" Lakers that won the Championship in 2010?

or the 3rd Championshop 3-peat Lakers that swept the Nets?

We saw it loads, it didn't matter with the outcome of the season however.

And we've seen it happen to many teams.

The 2010 Lakers were the most talented team in the league. This team is not good enough to get away with missed freethrows and silly mistakes
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Finally played a top tier team we got crushed. GSW is going to embarrass us. Today's game answered my question about how far can Lebron carry us. We still have a lot of time for Kuz to develop into that 2nd star. Maybe then we'll have enough fire power to keep up with the scoring.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
LKA wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Javale rebounds, blocks shots, scores and plays adequate defense. There are literally no positives with KCP.

This isnt about JaVale. I like him, but I dont like how you purposely picked him out to try and justify the mistakes we made last offseason with signings like Rondo, Stephenson and Beasley. Anyone with a brain knows this isnt the supporting cast to go with LeBron. But I get it .. Magic wanted playmakers to take the load off LeBron’s shoulders. He wants playmakers with nobody to pass the ball to
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

All teams have bad games. The Warriors got killed by a Toronto team without KL. Houston is barely .500. Portland, Utah, most of the Western conf. teams are faltering this season. It's just a weird year for the NBA in the West. As frustrating as this Lakers team is sometimes, we're still right in the mix for the top spot. It's just weird. Frustrating as hell. But weird.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Phil Jackson used to say
One of the best times to coach is after a loss
Team didn't want to lose
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Good teams dont beat themselves

LKA wrote:
And turnovers

Don't panic.

But the Lakers need a better shooting coach.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

That’s because the lakers aren’t a good team 🤷🏼‍♂️

They have a superstar. So they’ll win some games. But in the long run it’s a c**k tease. Prob somehow make it to round 2. But there are too many glaring holes in this roster. Let’s just hope Lebron doesn’t get hurt trying to carry these guys.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good teams dont beat themselves

LKA wrote:
And turnovers

well sure it sounds right sign more guys who can't shoot. but what guys could we have signed that could shoot? without messing with our cap space? Can those guys also not be complete liabilities on defense?

because if you can shoot, thats great, but if your own man is dropping the numbers on your head, your shooting isnt even worth it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

We were in the game until the last five minutes and Harden went off.

Nothing you can do about that really... it could have easily been us had LBJ done the same.

I agree with those who've said Ingram might have done better on defense.

It's also possible that Harden would have embarrassed him again, which got him upset the last time.

However, one thing I've noticed about Ingram is he's improved at staying out of foul trouble which Josh hasn't done.

The fact that he's still learning, makes me think he might be able to adjust over time.

It's hard though, when the refs were giving him almost everything.

I think Harden's a great player... but that advantage they give him where you brush against him even slightly is really hard to overcome.

LBJ and Ingram really need to improve their FT shooting if we want to beat them in the playoffs, because they are the only two who can draw fouls like him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

We don't have players that draw fouls like Harden (which I think is an embarrassment to the NBA). Who wants to go to games to watch one player shoot nearly 20 FTs?

Then you have guys like LBJ/Hart that go hard at the rim and get hit and get no calls. That was one of the reasons things percolated so much in the Rondo/BI tag team suspension game.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We don't have players that draw fouls like Harden (which I think is an embarrassment to the NBA). Who wants to go to games to watch one player shoot nearly 20 FTs?

Then you have guys like LBJ/Hart that go hard at the rim and get hit and get no calls. That was one of the reasons things percolated so much in the Rondo/BI tag team suspension game.

I don't mean at his volume... maybe Lou Williams had that talent before they changed the rules.

I meant they get the most calls on our team... and Ingram should get more over time.

The gap was five free throws so it wasn't crazy... the last crucial call when Kuzma was running parallel to him was ridiculous though.

The crazy part continues to be our inability to shoot a set shot from 15 feet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't mean at his volume... maybe Lou Williams had that talent before they changed the rules.

I meant they get the most calls on our team... and Ingram should get more over time.

The gap was five free throws so it wasn't crazy... the last crucial call when Kuzma was running parallel to him was ridiculous though.

The fact 1 player got nearly 20 FT attempts is stupid. I can see why players just hate that kind of refereeing. Might as well make it a non-contact sport.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The fact 1 player got nearly 20 FT attempts is stupid. I can see why players just hate that kind of refereeing. Might as well make it a non-contact sport.

Agree... but we know Harden's reputation... so I don't know why Hart was there fighting through that screen on a three pointer.

Those two fouls were crucial... Kuzma's foul was ridiculous as he was running out of the way to avoid him... but Josh should have known better.

But I think LBJ should put his ego aside and act like he gets moved when he gets hit.

Shaq didn't get those calls either because they are too powerful
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Usually the only time good teams lose is by beating themselves
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Usually the only time good teams lose is by beating themselves

Yup. GSW, when healthy, only ever loses because they beat themselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: