These last 2 games prove 1 thing...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Tick wrote:
I'll tell you what the Lakers DO need to do, they need to start fining players that miss FT's.

Let me introduce you to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, no can do.

Find the loophole ventura....make it happen!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Tick wrote:
I'll tell you what the Lakers DO need to do, they need to start fining players that miss FT's.

The fines should be two tiers:

Starters: $2000.00 for every missed FT.

Bench: $1000.00 for every missed FT

After missing 30 FT's an additional penalty fee kicks in:

Starters: $4000.00 for every missed FT

Bench: $2000.00 for every missed FT.

Once a player FT% rises above 85% they are no longer subject to fines.

The Players Union would NOT allow that...!
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The current squad without Bron/McGee/Rondo are good enough to build leads but aren’t talented enough to keep it. if the league doesn’t give the MVP to LeBron this year it will be a travesty.. he is the engine, at least Harden has another co-star next to him.. while LeBron has none.

There's two "types" of talent needed to win, and the young ones only have one of them. There's the dominant heavy lift talent like Shaq that keeps you in games and sets up the win. Then there's the closer talent like Kobe that seals the deal at the end. (Yes, I know Kobe can do both)

The Young-ins have lots of Shaq, but we don't have a lot of Kobe. Hart and Kuz have shown flashes of it, but not more than most teams have. The only draftee's that have shown an above average amount of it was DLO.
It's a skill that improves with Experience so it may well show out later, but it is sorely lacking now.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Show me any team that can lose their best player + 2 starters and still be fun to watch / competitive.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

It shows me that Lonzo Ball definitely isn't as offensively inept as this place and the popular opinion would lead you to believe.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Show me any team that can lose their best player + 2 starters and still be fun to watch / competitive.

Exactly!! We almost won against both teams while they were basically at full strength, we were missing the best player in the game + a top 10 C this year and a relevant back up PG... I’m not gonna be all down on this team, they just need to tweak a couple of things and they willl change there fortunes.
PerchiN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Day wrote:

Exactly!! We almost won against both teams while they were basically at full strength, we were missing the best player in the game + a top 10 C this year and a relevant back up PG... I’m not gonna be all down on this team, they just need to tweak a couple of things and they willl change there fortunes.

Totally agree...many thought that it'd take this team a while to gel (All star break?), but they been playing above expectations when fully healthy and will only get better as the season goes on.

Love this team, hopefully they can pick up a real number 2 in the off season, will be deadly.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

PerchiN wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Day wrote:

Totally agree...many thought that it'd take this team a while to gel (All star break?), but they been playing above expectations when fully healthy and will only get better as the season goes on.

Love this team, hopefully they can pick up a real number 2 in the off season, will be deadly.

Yep, still a lottt of games left, we might be a 7th seed right now but a 3-4 game win streak and we will be climbing the standings again, have faith guys, it sucks to lose but that is what happens when a generational player is injured on your team, we are still competing and giving ourselves a chance to win.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
PerchiN wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Day wrote:

Yep, still a lottt of games left, we might be a 7th seed right now but a 3-4 game win streak and we will be climbing the standings again, have faith guys, it sucks to lose but that is what happens when a generational player is injured on your team, we are still competing and giving ourselves a chance to win.

This is also why it was pointless to celebrate a 4th place standing. Too many teams packed together for it to mean anything.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

To me, these two games just show we're exactly the same time as last year w/o Lebron. We show we can be competitive, but can't close it out.

Think about last year - almost every game there would be talks of, "this was a good loss", "this was a moral victory". It felt like deja vu after that Sac loss as a lot of posters were saying similar things. To me, moral victories can kiss my you know what...we have no one on our roster who I think is capable enough to become the next Laker great. Kuz may have a good killer instinct and offensive repertoire, BI may have good tools and an all-around game, and Zo may show flashes, but none seem like even second best players on a ship team, let alone lead pieces. Yes they're young, but with each passing year the future seems less bright as players get older without progressing like we hope.

Maybe with Wall out, Washington will try to tank and sell low on Beal...
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Tick wrote:

No need to stop there. Fine them for turnovers, missed shots, fouls, and illegal defenses. Also 85% is ridiculous. That’s elite level FT shooting essentially.

If anything, they have to all put money in a pot to bet amongst themselves who can be the best free throw shooter.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Tick wrote:

No need to stop there. Fine them for turnovers, missed shots, fouls, and illegal defenses. Also 85% is ridiculous. That’s elite level FT shooting essentially.

In reality. teams can only levy fines against players for certain conduct, as specified in the collective bargaining agreement (such as failing to go to practice). Teams don't have the ability to fine players for missed free throws, turnovers and errors on the court.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Tick wrote:

In reality. teams can only levy fines against players for certain conduct, as specified in the collective bargaining agreement (such as failing to go to practice). Teams don't have the ability to fine players for missed free throws, turnovers and errors on the court.

Also, Lebron is shooting 68% on his FTs. Who's going to go collect fines from Lebron?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Tick wrote:

The Players Union would NOT allow that...!

You could have put performance bonuses into their contracts. 50k for each percentage point over %75 on ft's with a minimum number of attempts. But, that's not salary cap friendly since most of the possible bonus counts towards the cap.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

Lakers are good in defending shooters but not slashers, especially quick guards like Fox, Williams. Between, they have to learn how to keep the offense work when their defense are in trouble or vice versa. We lost to Clippers, Kings, Spurs...... for similar reasons.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

These last two games has show how soft Lakersground posters are mentally, and how Kings’ slave owner mentality statement extends in pertinence beyond NFL owners.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The current squad without Bron/McGee/Rondo are good enough to build leads but aren’t talented enough to keep it. if the league doesn’t give the MVP to LeBron this year it will be a travesty.. he is the engine, at least Harden has another co-star next to him.. while LeBron has none.

We dismantled the Warriors without Lebron for half the game...
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

As far as I can tell, without Lebron, this is the same team as last year.

As a Laker fan, you'd hope for some progression of the young core of Ingram, Ball, Hart, Kuzma but they pretty much look the same as last year.

Inconsistent with occasional flashes but just as many lapses.

Some people ask for patience with Luke as well, but there doesn't appear to be any improvement on that end at all.

Is it the players or the coaching? It's probably a mix of both. I don't think we'll see the young players really grow much with the poor coaching they are getting.

Without Lebron, this is still a sub-500 team. Drop Luke for an average coach and I think it's a 500 team.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

If we had Brook, Julius, and IT we'd be 2-0 in my opinion

The core, inconsistent though they were played two plus .500 teams close and could have won either game.

As MJST said... if you removed Harden, Gordon, Capela... Houston wouldn't play nearly as well as they do with them... and we were in a position to win without the equivalent of those players.

The plan this entire time was to sign LBJ and add a second agent to the core.

Because some want their shiny plaything (AD)... they are advocating shooting ourselves in the foot by trading all our young assets, picks, and bench depth for someone who has won absolutely nothing, instead of sticking to the plan which was to add two stars to the core... as opposed to having only the two stars.

LBJ + AD or
LBJ + 2nd agent + the core + draft picks

Some prefer the first option... I prefer the second

The plan has never been to go with the core alone... it has always been to add not one but two stars... and now some of you are saying the plan is a failure because the team didn't win without the two stars.

If anything, the competitive nature of the games proves how close we are to beating playoff quality teams.

So I think it's really unfair to change the parameters to suit your narratives just to acquire AD. If I didn't see the start dates on some of your accounts, I'd think Rich Paul was planting shills to help hype his message.

The two star plus the core plan is the strongest option.

We can always sign AD after 2020... if we don't find a star that works.

And if LBJ gets old... we can go after Giannis to replace him.

But the core, always insures we have depth, picks for the future, and a solid foundation onto which we can add stars.
gladofwar_xiii
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Take Harden, Gordon and Capela off the Rockets and see how many games they win as well.

Are you saying Capela=Javale ?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Take Harden, Gordon and Capela off the Rockets and see how many games they win as well.

Capela per 36

18.1 PPG 13.3 RPG 2.1 Blocks per game

JaVale per 36

18.1 PPG 10.2 RPG 3.9 Blocks per game

Losing our rim protector who blocks at double the rate that Capela does is a pretty big loss to our defense I'd say.

We lost by one point to the Kings... not 20.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

Losing our rim protector who blocks at double the rate that Capela does is a pretty big loss to our defense I'd say.

Capela actually plays around 36 mpg, Javale doesn’t. Bad comparison.

I mean, Zhou Qi was averaging 72 ppg per 36 for Houston so what does that mean?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

Compare a regular rotation player who clearly contributes with the eye test to a useless 1 minute outlier to try to undermine a useful statistic when properly employed... smh
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

Compare a regular rotation player who clearly contributes with the eye test to a useless 1 minute outlier to try to undermine a useful statistic when properly employed... smh

The point of that is to highlight the absurdity of comparing two players on a per 36 min statistic in terms of impact, when one player plays about 50% more minutes than the other.

If two players put up the same numbers on a per 36 min basis, and one player actually plays around 36 mins, while the other plays 24, then it is an error to conclude they are in anyway comparable impact wise.

We no doubt feel the absence of Javale, but we shouldn't need to resort to faulty premises in order to do that.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Aint happening OP; kobe did more with less and Nash got 2.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: