CBS Article: Do Lakers regret not trading for Paul George?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
PG didn't want to play here.

nah if we traded for him he would have resigned. Hes just so much of an Beta Male he didnt want to disappoint his dear leader Westbrook after he went to OKC
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
This is as useless as saying do the Lakers regret trading away Lou Williams? Or do the Lakers regret not resigning Lopez? What's the point of bringing it up? It's not gonna bring PG here. It's not gonna change anything. This should belong in general discussion or something.

It's obvious click bait b/f the "big return" of PG13.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
This is as useless as saying do the Lakers regret trading away Lou Williams? Or do the Lakers regret not resigning Lopez? What's the point of bringing it up? It's not gonna bring PG here. It's not gonna change anything. This should belong in general discussion or something.

It's obvious click bait b/f the "big return" of PG13.

Not even that exciting since Lebron won't be playing. Would have loved to see Lebron/PG matchup.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Obviously it's a regret. I think we made the right gamble, but sometimes you lose. Moving on.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

It's not click bait. LOL.

It was written two days ago and covers like 10 different teams.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Obviously it's a regret. I think we made the right gamble, but sometimes you lose. Moving on.

Considering how distraught the Pacers GM was, that trade was never going to happen. Reports coming out at the time said that he refused to even say the name "Lakers" behind closed doors. Just referring to them as "that team" or some other adjective. Very adolescent behavior. They were never going to send him to the team he wanted, so I don't even see it as a gamble. They would've asked for far more from us than PG is worth.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
oh yes they do. pg is having a fantastic season. imo far better season than lbj is having here, not even close. wed be so good right had we had both.

better than LeBron?!
not sure about he is shooting better than bron from 3 and getting more steals, but I disagree 100%

I freely admit i was not expecting PG13 to play this well.
I freely admit i did not want him at max, but so far he has been worth every penny. We will see he did get outplayed by Ingles in the playoffs ...

btw eff him he made his choice he comes here as FA we are golden.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

I wish we would have turned our focus to PG and Kawhi instead LeBron.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:

Considering how distraught the Pacers GM was, that trade was never going to happen. Reports coming out at the time said that he refused to even say the name "Lakers" behind closed doors. Just referring to them as "that team" or some other adjective. Very adolescent behavior. They were never going to send him to the team he wanted, so I don't even see it as a gamble. They would've asked for far more from us than PG is worth.

Eh they had a right to be pissed at us. They should have made the best deal for the franchise regardless (and they did). It's hard to say definitively if we could have gotten him for Ingram, but even if we could we were being told by George he was coming here. Anyone armed with the information we had would have acted in the same manner.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
oh yes they do. pg is having a fantastic season. imo far better season than lbj is having here, not even close. wed be so good right had we had both.

better than LeBron?!
not sure about he is shooting better than bron from 3 and getting more steals, but I disagree 100%

I freely admit i was not expecting PG13 to play this well.
I freely admit i did not want him at max, but so far he has been worth every penny. We will see he did get outplayed by Ingles in the playoffs ...

btw eff him he made his choice he comes here as FA we are golden.

Consider the source.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

He went for the most money - which is the American way...
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Yes, I think he would have stayed in LA in free agency. He wouldn't have had that year in OKC to develop the bromance with RW.

Yes, I think Lebron would have come if George had already been here.

Now, do we regret it? Not yet. If we wind up with AD, KW, or KD, do we really regret not trading players for Paul George when we had the chance?

I don't think so.

However, if none of those guys come, and/or we can't/don't acquire them via trade, then we probably missed a nice opportunity with George because he probably would have cost less in a trade than those other 3 guys and it definitely appeared as if he was ours had we been willing to part with the right package of players.

What we will probably never know is exactly what the Pacers would have demanded.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

I dont regret anything, PG had his chance to be here right now. He chose poorly but it was his choice.

Moving on
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It was all in PG13's court.

He talked for years about being a Laker.

So when he was a FREE AGENT and had the choice to make his years-long dream come true he didn't even meet with Magic b/c he was scared that he would be convinced to join the team that he was openly dreaming about joining.

Talk about having issues.

This fool made a 3 part documentary lol.

I wonder how many people even watched the part 3 after he picked OKC.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

How is it far better and not even close? Talk about hyperbole. He's having a career year, but we have a resume to look at that says he won't sustain it. Great 3 pt shooter, but not an efficient two pt player. Four dimes a game is an improvement for a career of tunnel vision. He ain't the guy to lose a crop of kids for.

Potential DPOY while Lebron gave up on playing defense a couple of seasons ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

He did.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So when he was a FREE AGENT and had the choice to make his years-long dream come true he didn't even meet with Magic b/c he was scared that he would be convinced to join the team that he was openly dreaming about joining.

Not really, PG couldn’t have traded himself here. That failure lies with our FO.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not really, PG couldn’t have traded himself here. That failure lies with our FO.

We had capspace to sign him. He chickened out. That's a fact.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So you're blaming the Lakers, who set aside a max deal for him (and got a 500k tampering fine) so the team could sign him outright with Carmelo'ing the team (i.e. losing young assets for a FA-to-be)?

Oh, it's pretty rare that the Pacers, AFTER consummating a trade with OKC pressed the NBA to investigate the Lakers for tampering.

That should tell you how hell bent the Pacers probably were to not trade PG13 to the Lakers.

Regardless, on July 1, 2018 the table was set for PG13 to come to the Lakers.

HE declined.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

He went for the most money - which is the American way...

He could have gotten the same money here (and it wasn’t the most he could have gotten).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We had capspace to sign him. He chickened out. That's a fact.

The article is about trading for PG

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So you're blaming the Lakers, who set aside a max deal for him (and got a 500k tampering fine) so the team could sign him outright with Carmelo'ing the team (i.e. losing young assets for a FA-to-be)?

Oh, it's pretty rare that the Pacers, AFTER consummating a trade with OKC pressed the NBA to investigate the Lakers for tampering.

That should tell you how hell bent the Pacers probably were to not trade PG13 to the Lakers.

HE declined.

Well said!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

HE declined.

There is no one else to blame, it was the Lakers who didn’t make an offer for him. We would be legit title contenders with him and Lebron, PG could lock down opponent’s top wings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

HE declined.

There is no one else to blame, it was the Lakers who didn’t make an offer for him. We would be legit title contenders with him and Lebron, PG could lock down opponent’s top wings.

No, he's the player. It was his choice.

He made the excuse that he stayed in OKC b/c they traded for him. So what? He was a free agent and could choose whichever team he wanted.

This really isn't the Lakers fault as I believe the Pacers were not going to trade him to the team he wanted to be on. Ask how the "I demand you trade me to LA" ploy worked in terms of actually getting that player to LA (KL, PG13, etc.).

When the Pacers, after already finishing the OKC trade called for an investigation into tampering, that's the tell tale sign to me that they were never going to acceded to PG13's wishes. That's some real haterade by the Pacers.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Lakers regret nothing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: