does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

Ujah's Goat wrote:
I wouldn’t bet against a Jordan-led team, period. He’d feast on teams today on both ends of the court EASY, plus his credentials @34 speak for themselves. He’d be MVP, DPOY, scoring champ and FMVP on this Lakers team - such is his GOAT impact.

Jordan had a great season at age 34, but MVP and finals MVP are a function of team performance and personal performance. I don't buy that his leading a team of Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc to a ring at age 34 means he'd do the same thing with Kuz, Ingram and Ball. I don't think his chances of winning MVP with this squad is much difference than Lebron's chances this year.

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Let’s not forget that the Lakers were the #1 seed in the WEST back in ‘08 before Bynum went down & the Gasol trade, on a team with a lot less talent than this current squad. So it’s something he’s actually done before.

When Bynum was injured, it was January 13 and the Lakers were 24-11. People can debate whether the current Lakers have more, less or the same talent as the '08 Lakers, but leading the conference in mid-January by half a game or a game or whatever it was isn't the same as winning the conference or winning a ring.

My take: Jordan, Kobe and Lebron (so far) all had great seasons at age 34. If you could magically switch them around, my guess is they would all have about the same impact on their teams' success.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

We would probably have a similar record, tbh. 34 year old Kobe was just before the injury, and if you remember at that time Kobe was playing some of the most efficient basketball of his career. He was scoring pretty much by the way of all skill, and controlled the pace of games very much like the way LeBron does now.

I think Kobe with this team is a better fit than what LeBron is, but I think overall head to head LeBron at 34 is better than what Kobe was at 34. I will say, looking at their numbers they are pretty similar.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
if GS is at 100%, neither does. id give Jordan and Kobe the best shot at beating them with this team out of the 4 though

No one wins a championship with this team even if there was no GS. I think Lebron is a better fit for this team than Kobe or Jordan would have been though. Kobe or Jordan would have had less patience with the young players.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

No. Totally ridiculous.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

34 year old Jordan could get this team to the WCF but ultimately lose to the Warriors.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
swap out lebron with kobe do they win?

what about 34yold Jordan?

Only 34-year-old that wins a title with this team is Jesus.

Jesus would be nails on this team.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

didnt that brotha die at 33?

oh you're talking about shuttlesworth.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
if GS is at 100%, neither does. id give Jordan and Kobe the best shot at beating them with this team out of the 4 though

No one wins a championship with this team even if there was no GS. I think Lebron is a better fit for this team than Kobe or Jordan would have been though. Kobe or Jordan would have had less patience with the young players.

you either underrate this team or overrate everyone around us. outside of GS, there isnt a clear great team at the moment. so unless you run into them, you have good chances of winning the series, the way i see it

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
I wouldn’t bet against a Jordan-led team, period. He’d feast on teams today on both ends of the court EASY, plus his credentials @34 speak for themselves. He’d be MVP, DPOY, scoring champ and FMVP on this Lakers team - such is his GOAT impact.

Jordan had a great season at age 34, but MVP and finals MVP are a function of team performance and personal performance. I don't buy that his leading a team of Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc to a ring at age 34 means he'd do the same thing with Kuz, Ingram and Ball. I don't think his chances of winning MVP with this squad is much difference than Lebron's chances this year.

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Let’s not forget that the Lakers were the #1 seed in the WEST back in ‘08 before Bynum went down & the Gasol trade, on a team with a lot less talent than this current squad. So it’s something he’s actually done before.

When Bynum was injured, it was January 13 and the Lakers were 24-11. People can debate whether the current Lakers have more, less or the same talent as the '08 Lakers, but leading the conference in mid-January by half a game or a game or whatever it was isn't the same as winning the conference or winning a ring.

My take: Jordan, Kobe and Lebron (so far) all had great seasons at age 34. If you could magically switch them around, my guess is they would all have about the same impact on their teams' success.

Disagree with your take. Then again, you don’t really have a take.

My point in bringing up the ‘08 team was that they were overachieving before the Gasol trade, while I don’t think we are doing the same this year. Basketball is a team sport, and a team’s leader(s) has an overstated influence in a team’s success (think Kobe’s influence on LO, Bynum, Kwame, Vujacic, even Farmar, etc.). Still too early to determine what kind of impact LeBron will ultimately have on this team.

Not even going to touch on why I think you’re wrong in your Jordan comments.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

Runway8 wrote:
pdawgx1 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Jesus passed at 33 and wouldn't qualify to play from Heaven.

The NBA will make an exception.

For basketball reasons.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Ray Allen is grossly overrated.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Kobe at 34 blew out his achilles tendon, no? So probably not.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:

My point in bringing up the ‘08 team was that they were overachieving before the Gasol trade, while I don’t think we are doing the same this year. Basketball is a team sport, and a team’s leader(s) has an overstated influence in a team’s success (think Kobe’s influence on LO, Bynum, Kwame, Vujacic, even Farmar, etc.). Still too early to determine what kind of impact LeBron will ultimately have on this team.

It's cool with me if you believe that. Personally, I think hypothetical arguments -- which can never be tested or proven -- that rest on something as vague, subjective and debatable as the impact of a star's "leadership" aren't worth the bother. But, heck, this thread is nothing more than killing time.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Not much of a difference with LBJ's results...
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Against the Warriors with Boogie, no. Without Boogie, yes, I think Kobe would take the team over the top.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Kobe needed Gasol to win a title

and the supporting cast was at least equal to this one

I don't see a Gasol level player on this team. Still, I think Kobe, pre--Achilles goes a bit further than this LeBron version,
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Fake News.

No statistical evidence to back up that claim. For all we know, Jesus was bad at basketball
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

you either underrate this team or overrate everyone around us. outside of GS, there isnt a clear great team at the moment. so unless you run into them, you have good chances of winning the series, the way i see it

I think the Raptors are a great team and they would likely sweep the Lakers in a 7 game series.
BenO
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

BigBoi wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Fake News.

No statistical evidence to back up that claim. For all we know, Jesus was bad at basketball

Rules on hand-checking were very different in Jesus's day but he was unselfish and knew how to move the rock. Footwork was also light and generally regarded as a good team mate, but had some detractors. Original triple threat. Would get crucified by today's refs and may also have been outspoken about the "Jewish money" quote LeBron got in trouble for. Could see the Spurs drafting him these days though with their history of taking on overseas players, but needing to stash him while he works on his modern nba body.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Man, they all prob take this team bout the same

I don’t think MJ ever face a super team like GS in the playoff, 90s Lakers? Pistons? Jazz? Knicks? Sonics? Pacers?

MJ might be the best player of the three but he’s still a maybe he superteam. LeBron and Kobe have both defeated GS/Celtics superteam to win a title so who knows
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

I think the Raptors are a great team and they would likely sweep the Lakers in a 7 game series.

i give them better chances at beating us that us beating them, but it wouldnt be a sweep.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

BigBoi wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Fake News.

True. But this team would need a miracle to win a ring, and he was pretty good at that
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Fake News.

True. But this team would need a miracle to win a ring, and he was pretty good at that

If Jesus could feed thousands with one fish, he could definitely get 12 guys to share one ball. Team ball would have been played at the highest level, it would truly have been the miracle season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Man, they all prob take this team bout the same

I don’t think MJ ever face a super team like GS in the playoff, 90s Lakers? Pistons? Jazz? Knicks? Sonics? Pacers?

MJ might be the best player of the three but he’s still a maybe he superteam. LeBron and Kobe have both defeated GS/Celtics superteam to win a title so who knows

MJ played a lot of great teams. The Phoenix Sun had six guys who made all-stars teams, most within a couple of years of their finals appearance. I'd say they were as much of a superteam as most of the recent teams we give that title too.

The Jazz and Sonics were strong, deep teams.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

activeverb wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Fake News.

Need more tangible evidence, for all we know the miracles were probably made up. Not sure he would make it in today’s NBA, dude was most likely shorter than Earl Boykins lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: