does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Man, they all prob take this team bout the same

I don’t think MJ ever face a super team like GS in the playoff, 90s Lakers? Pistons? Jazz? Knicks? Sonics? Pacers?

MJ might be the best player of the three but he’s still a maybe he superteam. LeBron and Kobe have both defeated GS/Celtics superteam to win a title so who knows

People group the Celtics as a super team, but I don't. They were already old when assembled, and even 2 yrs older when we faced them in 2010. KG would have turned 34, Pierce 33, Ray Allen 35. There wasn't one top 5 player on the Celtics. The true super team was Bron, Wade and Bosh.. all mid-twenties in their prime, and two of the top 3 in the game. Replace Bosh with Kobe and they would have had the top 3 in the game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

I don’t think MJ ever face a super team like GS in the playoff, 90s Lakers? Pistons? Jazz? Knicks? Sonics? Pacers?

MJ might be the best player of the three but he’s still a maybe he superteam. LeBron and Kobe have both defeated GS/Celtics superteam to win a title so who knows

People group the Celtics as a super team, but I don't. They were already old when assembled, and even 2 yrs older when we faced them in 2010. KG would have turned 34, Pierce 33, Ray Allen 35. There wasn't one top 5 player on the Celtics. The true super team was Bron, Wade and Bosh.. all mid-twenties in their prime, and two of the top 3 in the game. Replace Bosh with Kobe and they would have had the top 3 in the game.

Probably no one beats the Lakers when it comes to the combination of super team successes and super team failures.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

Plus KG wasn’t KG anymore after his injury
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

Boston was a superteam when they won a ring in 08, but they had declined by '10. Still, they did have three all-stars that year (Garnett, Rondo, and Pierce) so a lot of this is semantics. I've heard a gazillion different definitions of what superteam means.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

BenO wrote:
Rules on hand-checking were very different in Jesus's day but he was unselfish and knew how to move the rock. Footwork was also light and generally regarded as a good team mate, but had some detractors. Original triple threat. Would get crucified by today's refs and may also have been outspoken about the "Jewish money" quote LeBron got in trouble for. Could see the Spurs drafting him these days though with their history of taking on overseas players, but needing to stash him while he works on his modern nba body.

Sig-worthy.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

BenO wrote:
Rules on hand-checking were very different in Jesus's day but he was unselfish and knew how to move the rock. Footwork was also light and generally regarded as a good team mate, but had some detractors. Original triple threat. Would get crucified by today's refs and may also have been outspoken about the "Jewish money" quote LeBron got in trouble for. Could see the Spurs drafting him these days though with their history of taking on overseas players, but needing to stash him while he works on his modern nba body.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: does 34yo Kobe win title with this team?

BenO wrote:

Nailed it.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

the 2 super teams of recent years were Spurs with the big 3 and Warriors after adding KD. arguably Cleveland in 2016 and 2017 because of 3 allstars and great depth

however, that Celtics team was pretty close to a super team, and better than the pre KD, 2016 Warriors imo. they were still pushing Miami to 7 games in 2012, 2 years after we beat them. it took a legendary game 6 from james to end them finally. KG, Allen, Pierce and Rondo, Sheed off the bench. they were even better in 2008 with ridiculous depth of veterans playing out of their minds that finals series. defensively, probably the best team from 2005-06 onwards

Edit: not Spurs, Heat

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

the 2 super teams of recent years were Spurs with the big 3 and Warriors after adding KD. arguably Cleveland in 2016 and 2017 because of 3 allstars and great depth

however, that Celtics team was pretty close to a super team, and better than the pre KD, 2016 Warriors imo. they were still pushing Miami to 7 games in 2012, 2 years after we beat them. it took a legendary game 6 from james to end them finally. KG, Allen, Pierce and Rondo, Sheed off the bench. they were even better in 2008 with ridiculous depth of veterans playing out of their minds that finals series. defensively, probably the best team from 2005-06 onwards

The concept of superteam is pretty elastic. Some people consider the 09-10 Lakers a superteam, or the Kobe-Gasol-Howard-Nash Lakers a failed superteam.

It's odd, but I rarely see the Spurs mentioned as a superteam. That may be because people don't really consider Ginobli a star and/or because Duncan and Ginobli were on the decline by the star Leonard became a star.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:

The concept of superteam is pretty elastic. Some people consider the 09-10 Lakers a superteam, or the Kobe-Gasol-Howard-Nash Lakers a failed superteam.

it is. but i feel like those 2 teams were the 2 true ones. Cavs a close 3rd. Lakers teams missed a 3rd star, which neither Artest, Odom or Bynum were imo. now 2013 is interesting. i think failed superteam fits, great on paper, selfdestructed in reality. wouldnt have happened if we got CP3 instead of Nash&Gasol i think

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: