Re LeBron's GOAT claim, ESPN - "Kobe most skilled player all time, MJ GOAT"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re LeBron's GOAT claim, ESPN - "Kobe most skilled player all time, MJ GOAT"

Actually pretty cool takes on LeBron feeling t hat he's the GOAT and finally Kobe getting more respect, especially from ESPN.

Merge if necessary I didn't know where else to post.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Can't deny that. He mastered all aspects of the game. Sucks that the achilles injury prematurely ended his dominance. He would have worked on his 3pt shot and adjusted to the current era.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I do not always agree with Chauncey....which is fine....but he is at least 3x more intelligent than anyone else on that panel. Chauncey is a highly intelligent guy....Paul Pierce is the opposite of that.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I do not always agree with Chauncey....which is fine....but he is at least 3x more intelligent than anyone else on that panel. Chauncey is a highly intelligent guy....Paul Pierce is the opposite of that.

Yeah he's pretty good imo. Rose is kinda eh whatever to me. But Pierce man is terrible. And that opinion has nothing to do with him being a Celtic.
Lakeshow824
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject:

He might have Jordan as the GOAT but he has LeBron right behind him. He said that after the 2016 finals (Chauncey).

So I don't think he's contradicting anything he's said earlier. He seems to rate LeBron very highly.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

I miss Kobe so much :'(
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

Can't be GOAT... yet, need more jewelry
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

when LeBron was NOT playing in LA: Kobe selfish, coach killer, LeBron attracts free agents, the GOAT.

when LeBron playing for the Lakers: Kobe most skilled (nothing wrong with that, but that's not my point), no one wants to play with a control freak like LeBron.

notice the trend here? anyone plays for the Lakers will get the BSPN treatment.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Ergo one was reportedly offered a GM job (Chauncey) while the other...well.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

I wasn't surprised that Chauncey said it. I was surprised when haters like Wheelchair, Jalen, and Beadle pretty much agreed with him. Pierce was so hesitant to admit Kobe's greatness, it looked like it was causing him physical discomfort lol. I could almost read his thoughts at that moment (in Draymond's voice) "They don't love you like that! You thought you was Kobe?!"

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I feel Kobe's skillset was very high.
I feel like sometimes he made things harder on himself by wanting to prove his greatness though. There's a catch 22 there though, as him wanting to prove his greatness also allowed for those breath taking moments and games.

I have no problem with Chauncey's take.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

attaboy Chauncey.... way to go for speaking the truth.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I feel Kobe's skillset was very high.
I feel like sometimes he made things harder on himself by wanting to prove his greatness though. There's a catch 22 there though, as him wanting to prove his greatness also allowed for those breath taking moments and games.

I have no problem with Chauncey's take.

The reaction by Pierce was hilarious, you could see it pained him to admit it, so true, he couldn't even hide it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is a common answer for this for understandable reasons. The other guys I see mentioned a lot as most skilled are Jordan, Bird, Nash, Chris Paul, Stephen Curry, and Hakeem.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Billups is absolutely correct in his assessment. Kobe was the most skilled. MJ is the GOAT overall. Kareem has the most accolades. Lebron and Wilt have the best stats. Magic was GOAT playmaker.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Kobe is a common answer for this for understandable reasons. The other guys I see mentioned a lot as most skilled are Jordan, Bird, Nash, Chris Paul, Stephen Curry, and Hakeem.

I'm not even sure what it means, to be honest. In fact, it almost seems like a backhanded compliment. He wasn't one of the top five players, but he was the most skilled. What? Are they calling him an underachiever? Or is it sort of a consolation prize?

But it's not a big deal. It's nice to see some of Kobe's former rivals give him some respect. When you see ex-players talk about this stuff, you see that they sound just like the posters on this board and other boards. They don't have any special insights on these issues. For example, one of them said that Russell has to be top five because of all those rings. That sounds just like something you would read here.

One the other hand, I liked the fact that they recognized that there is a generational factor here. A lot of ex-players have a blind spot about that.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I'm not even sure what it means, to be honest. In fact, it almost seems like a backhanded compliment. He wasn't one of the top five players, but he was the most skilled. What? Are they calling him an underachiever? Or is it sort of a consolation prize?

But it's not a big deal. It's nice to see some of Kobe's former rivals give him some respect. When you see ex-players talk about this stuff, you see that they sound just like the posters on this board and other boards. They don't have any special insights on these issues. For example, one of them said that Russell has to be top five because of all those rings. That sounds just like something you would read here.

One the other hand, I liked the fact that they recognized that there is a generational factor here. A lot of ex-players have a blind spot about that.

Right on time. It's like clockwork with you and Kobe threads. Idk how you've been able to survive on here for so long as a disguised Kobe hater
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Pierce was acting like that because he didn't want to admit Kobe was the most skilled of all time, he was doing that because Chauncey said that ppl were gonna hate him for saying it. If you listen to what Paul says it's like "come on that's not even controversial of course that's true" kind of thing. I've seen him give Kobe props on a number of occasions actually, remember he's from LA and was a Laker fan.

That said, I still hate his guts.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Re LeBron's GOAT claim, ESPN - "Kobe most skilled player all time, MJ GOAT"

Day wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc49qu_p0Ec

Actually pretty cool takes on LeBron feeling t hat he's the GOAT and finally Kobe getting more respect, especially from ESPN.

They really do need to stop trying to make LeBron leap frog other people's legacies.

He's not ahead of Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, or Duncan. We can argue "he's more talented." But GOAT has to do with your legacy as well as your talent.

Legacy wise, he's behind those 5 guys. The one he did surpass when he beat the Warriors was Bird, not Jordan.

LeBron doesn't have a winning record against any of his Finals Rivals, and they bested his team more often than he bested them. Would Magic be ranked ahead of Larry if Larry had a 2-1 lead over Magic in the Finals?

Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, and Duncan are still ahead of LeBron legacywise, and Legacy is what you need for GOAT status.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Generally, when ex-players rate other players they just give their subjective opinion, and rarely do they provide any compelling reason. For me, players opinions usually go in one ear and out the other. Bill Russell, Billups, whoever -- the ability to play game doesn't usually mean any particularly ability to dissect and explain the game.

What people mean by "skilled" is a little confusing. I think it's supposed to be basketball ability separate from athletic ability, but I usually don't find the two things so easily separated.

Personally, I would never try to rank how skilled players are, because I can't think of any way to do it that wasn't totally in the eye of the beholder.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Re LeBron's GOAT claim, ESPN - "Kobe most skilled player all time, MJ GOAT"

MJST wrote:
Day wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc49qu_p0Ec

They really do need to stop trying to make LeBron leap frog other people's legacies.

He's not ahead of Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, or Duncan. We can argue "he's more talented." But GOAT has to do with your legacy as well as your talent.

Legacy wise, he's behind those 5 guys. The one he did surpass when he beat the Warriors was Bird, not Jordan.

LeBron doesn't have a winning record against any of his Finals Rivals, and they bested his team more often than he bested them. Would Magic be ranked ahead of Larry if Larry had a 2-1 lead over Magic in the Finals?

Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, and Duncan are still ahead of LeBron legacywise, and Legacy is what you need for GOAT status.

Different people have different criteria for GOAT. For you, it looks like, ring count is a pretty big deal. Other people put less emphasis on this, though it seems like everyone feels that a potential GOAT has to have at least two rings.

I don't think Lebron is the GOAT, but I would rank him above some of the guys you named. I don't have any hard-and-fast rules about ring counts.

And heck, if someone wants to consider a player the GOAT solely by who they think had the most basketball talent, who's to say they're wrong? That would't be my approach, but it's not like there is some committee that has approved the GOAT criteria.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Bill Russell has 11 rings. GOAT confirmed!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Nah, you can't give full credit for all those 60s rings.

The GOAT has to be the guy with the most rings in the modern era ... Robert Horry,

But we can debate whether or not Horry is the most skilled.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Right on time. It's like clockwork with you and Kobe threads. Idk how you've been able to survive on here for so long as a disguised Kobe hater

Dude absolutely can't handle people thinking/saying Kobe is the GOAT or even in the conversation. It's hilariously predictable at this point.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
drae wrote:

Nah, you can't give full credit for all those 60s rings.

The GOAT has to be the guy with the most rings in the modern era ... Robert Horry,

But we can debate whether or not Horry is the most skilled.

which makes proclaiming yourself the GOAT more ridiculous. when you are not only less accomplished, but also less skilled
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: