Re LeBron's GOAT claim, ESPN - "Kobe most skilled player all time, MJ GOAT"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Quote:
He says Kobe Bryant, "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game," but if he had a team now he'd go with LeBron James, who is younger.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/01/sports/sp-simers1

Ahh I see, a quote from 2009 before Lebron even won a ring.

But Jordan had already won all his 6, so...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Yes, Kobe is the greatest Laker ever. Yes, Magic admits he is, says he is unquestionably, and puts that out there that he feels Kobe is the greatest Laker ever, of his own accord.

Of his own accord, Magic also put it out there that he feels "Michael Carter-Williams is the next Jason Kidd." Do we have to believe that too?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:
Yes, Kobe is the greatest Laker ever. Yes, Magic admits he is, says he is unquestionably, and puts that out there that he feels Kobe is the greatest Laker ever, of his own accord.

Of his own accord, Magic also put it out there that he feels "Michael Carter-Williams is the next Jason Kidd." Do we have to believe that too?

You're comparing Magic's scouting ability of someone who has yet to play 0-2 seasons in the NBA, to his opinion of someone he's watched the entire career of at NBA level? That's essentially saying "Magic's too stupid for his own good, he doesn't understand that he was better than Kobe like we do, so let's throw that out."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
george w kush wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Quote:
He says Kobe Bryant, "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game," but if he had a team now he'd go with LeBron James, who is younger.

Ahh I see, a quote from 2009 before Lebron even won a ring.

I sometimes wonder how Wooden would react to the way his words are being used in forums like this. My guesses are (1) he would chuckle at the silliness of it all and (2) he would say no one here is capturing what he actually thought.

For instance, if we actually heard him definitively state who he thought the best player of all time was, the reasoning wouldn't be because that player was better than other players; but because he made the most of his potential.

So when confronted with the actual quote from a legitimate source (not Super Dave Osborne) you act as the sole authority who can interpret what he actually meant?

I'm not sure how you got this idea. If you'll look at my actual words, I clearly said I was making a guess.

Perhaps you are commenting on the sentence about his reasoning. That was something that I took from from one of his books, where he said the best player was the one who made the most of his potential.

In terms of the quote from the Simers article, I have said many times that I have no idea what the comment "from a physical point of view is the best to ever play the game" means. It's intriguing but vague and I would never try to guess what he was actually trying to say.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Actually, it was also reported by TJ Simmers in an LA Times article where he had a breakfast/interview with Wooden himself.

But if I post that you, Kush and the rest of the anti-Kobe brigade will scramble as usual to try to discredit the quote/source, etc.

The fact that you lean on that SuperDave angle as hard as you do after all these years shows your massive insecurities and denial on the subject matter.

Massive insecurities and denial? You say this in a thread about a discussion on TV among three ex-players, none of whom put Kobe in their top five. You say this as someone who created and kept bumping a thread with every positive comment you could ever find that anyone made about Kobe Bryant.

Anyway, it's TJ Simers, not TJ Simmers. If you remember who he is, you know that he's probably a less reliable source than Super Dave. He's a wannabe comedian who used to write pot-stirring columns for the LA Times. And of course there is the obvious question: Who really cares what John Wooden did or did not think? If Wooden had said, "Kobe wasn't that great," you'd blow him off in a heartbeat.

Anyway, this thread has gone straight downhill, as usual. Batguano vs. The World. Welcome to 2017.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Oh gawd. The Comedian Super Dave Osborne hearsay again?

Kobe should be considered good enough that we shouldn’t need to resort to some unverifiable account from a person who makes jokes for a living who said some other guy he was eating eggs with said.

That people go to those lengths, says a lot. Kobe’s stats and accomplishments speak for themselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

He died last week, but he will live on forever in these discussions.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Actually, it was also reported by TJ Simmers in an LA Times article where he had a breakfast/interview with Wooden himself.

But if I post that you, Kush and the rest of the anti-Kobe brigade will scramble as usual to try to discredit the quote/source, etc.

The fact that you lean on that SuperDave angle as hard as you do after all these years shows your massive insecurities and denial on the subject matter.

Massive insecurities and denial? You say this in a thread about a discussion on TV among three ex-players, none of whom put Kobe in their top five. You say this as someone who created and kept bumping a thread with every positive comment you could ever find that anyone made about Kobe Bryant.

Anyway, it's TJ Simers, not TJ Simmers. If you remember who he is, you know that he's probably a less reliable source than Super Dave. He's a wannabe comedian who used to write pot-stirring columns for the LA Times. And of course there is the obvious question: Who really cares what John Wooden did or did not think? If Wooden had said, "Kobe wasn't that great," you'd blow him off in a heartbeat.

Anyway, this thread has gone straight downhill, as usual. Batguano vs. The World. Welcome to 2017.

And you say all that as one of a handful of posters who immediately show up on any thread posted on this board that praises Kobe or puts him in the convo.

If we didn't have these "Kobe GOAT" threads your sole purpose on this board would cease to exist and you would have to find something else to do with your life.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Kobe should be considered good enough that we shouldn’t need to resort to some unverifiable account from a person who makes jokes for a living who said some other guy he was eating eggs with said.

That people go to those lengths, says a lot. Kobe’s stats and accomplishments speak for themselves.

And the fact that the same 2-3 posters show up in every "Kobe might be the GOAT" thread says even more...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
And you say all that as one of a handful of posters who immediately show up on any thread posted on this board that praises Kobe or puts him in the convo.

If we didn't have these "Kobe GOAT" threads your sole purpose on this board would cease to exist and you would have to find something else to do with your life.

I bet the irony of those words is lost on you.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Not at all.

The difference is I have no problem admitting to it, unlike you.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

xv

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

v

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Not at all.

OK, this is getting creepy.

And you're getting obnoxious and condescending (as usual).
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Quote:

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Not at all.

I am sorry if you felt I was being condescending to you. That wasn't my intent. I am also sorry I got drawn into one of these threads, where people seem more intent on insulting each other than talking about basketball. I had hope LG was past that and I regret any role I had in keeping this thread going. Anyway, I am out of this one.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Not at all.

I am sorry if you felt I was being condescending to you. That wasn't my intent. I am also sorry I got drawn into one of these threads, where people seem more intent on insulting each other than talking about basketball. I had hope LG was past that and I regret any role I had in keeping this thread going. Anyway, I am out of this one.

LG should take a leaf from Reddit's book and ban Kobe vs Lebron discussions
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Not at all.

Especially when Lebron is 3-6 despite ringing chasing, team hopping and forming multiple super teams while playing in an inferior conference.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
drae wrote:

Especially when Lebron is 3-6 despite ringing chasing, team hopping and forming multiple super teams while playing in an inferior conference.

that really is the funny part... and not only did he play in the weaker conference, he eliminated the competition in that conference, not by beating them (Wade and Bosh), but by joining them... in their primes!!!

still after losing in the finals that year, he then proceeded to break up his only remaining competition, the Boston Celtics, by recruiting Ray Allen out of the Celtics.

his time in Miami was not really that great, at all.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe is the only player whose fans are more flattered by praise of his game than he is.
mambajustkillsya
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I think Kobe is the only player whose fans are more flattered by praise of his game than he is.

You may be onto something because fans of Kobe have watched him throughout the years and feel the need to stick up for him. He is very indirect when it comes to talking about his own skill.

I remember all those post game interviews after he completely dominated the game like a vicious savage and all he could say to reporters is "we played hard and got after it" or something of that sort.

Kobe never really was himself it seemed when presenting himself to media. Seemed like he tried to portray himself a certain way and I wish he would've just been himself. Perhaps the Colorado incident has something to do with it. He was never a social butterfly the way Lebron and Michael could be. I personally think his IQ was too high and he tried to downplay it to fit in.

I wish he would've just been himself more which is a ruthless mother (bleep) and he would have been beloved for it. But after the rape charge he probably felt he could not portray that. This is speculative and simply my own opinion.

But this isn't about media presence or stuff outside of basketball. In the scope of basketball it can be infuriating because whenever the two play together Kobe is clearly more dominant. Kobe was an all out competitor and willing to win whatever means necessary. While he did whine about calls a lot similar to Lebron and both don't get enough calls, he never complained when he got hurt or showed it. In fact he surpressed it like a (bleep) man and kept chugging along. This was clearly demonstrated when he tore his achilles then went to shoot free throws and guess what made both....

Master of the game, willing to do whatever it takes, and unbreakable will. I remember when he elbowed Artest in the throat and baited him into reacting and the refs gave Artest the T. Or when Matt Barnes nearly hit him the face with the ball and he didn't flinch at all. So many intangible moments showed the type of player he was.

Kobe fans saw all of this. And we see how Lebron plays as well. While Lebron is obviously up there, there's a difference that goes beyond stats. Some things that Lebron just made him seem like a little (bleep) when his true colors came out. But other than that, one of the greatest athletes, a player who deserves credit for improving his shot a lot, and excellent footwork as well.

When it comes to being a man, owning up to mistakes and living with them (he admitted to adultery and stayed with his wife Vanessa), being an unstoppable force with an indomitable will, those things separate him from Lebron. That's why I'm a Kobe fan.

When facing a double/triple team, Kobe will take the shot and hit it at an incredible rate. Kobe fans saw this day in and out. Nothing new. Lebron will pass it because he wants nothing to do with that. Plus his game is more steam rolling into the paint with incredible ball handling and footwork for the easy 2. So (bleep) the FG %s, quite frankly. Insert Mark Twain quote here.

Could go on and on. But yeah, I know you were just trolling Kobe fans. But now you have been informed by a source free from any media manipulation, simply speaking from experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: