How to get back in the gym?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: How to get back in the gym?

I used to work out hard on a normal basis, about four to five times a week. Now it's been a about a year and a half since I have and I really need to get back into.

I've just lacked motivation. Anyone else been through this? Any tips to help me out?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get back in the gym?

Freddie Buckets wrote:
I used to work out hard on a normal basis, about four to five times a week. Now it's been a about a year and a half since I have and I really need to get back into.

I've just lacked motivation. Anyone else been through this? Any tips to help me out?

I've had lapses longer than that and the solution really is:

step 1.) literally go to the gym and make yourself stay there for 1 hour even you're only doing 20 minutes of sets/cardio
2.) do it again the next day
2.) and the day after that, etc.

momentum and rhythm will take care of the rest unless you really hate working out
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject:

If you have someone to go with that always helps.

If you have a specific goal that you want to achieve by a specific time that also usually forces action even when you don't want to.

I always find it funny. When you work out regularly it's hard not to go. It feels like this is more than your hobby, it's your lifestyle and you get mad at anything that stands in the way of you doing it. When you're on the outside, it's hard to get back into it, even though when you do it you love it and don''t wanna stop.

Once you've got a few weeks under your belt it becomes a part of your routine again, you''ll be good man!

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

Spend some time with your imagination

Find out what you want to achieve in the gym

Is it
Health
General self esteem confidence etc
Cardio and blood pressure
Be able to jog to the car in the rain without noticing you're not in good health

In your imagination send Freddie to the gym and direct him through the exercises
You're confident are the best you know for the RESULTS you desire

See in your imagination all the benefits of your Choice to exercise
See Freddie
slimming down
Bulking up
Running
Comfortable talking to the hotties

Also remember back to when you used to hit the gym with passion and dedication
Go through a few beast workouts in your mind that you done in the past

Imagine
Results you want
Results you've achieved in the past
How you KNOW (without a doubt) how much better you will feel
When you achieve these results you currently desire

https://pics.me.me/you-can-have-results-or-excuses-not-both-e-arnold-186387.png
"You can have
Results
Or
Excuses
Not both"
Arnold Schwarzenegger

And know "The Universe is conspiring to affect you positively"
Uni Verse "Your words?"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject:

Start making decisions that pin you into going to the gym
Start now planning the time you can contribute to the gym
Start budgeting the food choices in your imagination

There is no better time than NOW to begin
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to get back in the gym?

Freddie Buckets wrote:

I hear you. That was me over a year ago. I hate gyms. And I hate running. And so for me, the key to finding a workout that I could sustain over time was to find something I enjoy doing enough that I'm willing to push through the pain/struggle.

For me that was biking. I find it so much more enjoyable than running. You can enjoy downhills and being on a bike forced me to push when say, I'm on an incline whereas with running it's much easier to just pull back and walk when the going gets tough. I just downloaded Strava, bought some wireless earbuds, a phone mount for the bike, and found a paved trail near my house that I ride 3-4 times per week. Total round trip is about 15 miles.

The other part, for me, was creating goals. Not weight goals, it's too frustrating to check weight every day which is a temptation. Instead, I checked my weight less often and instead created goals like, ok, I want to complete my route in X mins. Or, over time, I want to extend my route by X miles, and so on.

It's still a struggle at times, the motivation. So I thrown in other stuff. I have a dog I take on hikes to mix it up a little. In 6 months I dropped about 15 lbs through diet change (I didn't eliminate carbs, but I cut out the unnecessary ones) and added this biking routine. For me it worked.

A friend of mine hates cardio for cardio's sake which I totally get too. And he didn't want to play pickup ball anymore after tearing a ligament in his knee. So he found tennis and fell in love with it and now plays 2-3 times per week.

Anyway, long post, sorry, but, I totally hear you on the motivation factor, but for me, the key was finding something you enjoy doing. Try different things. You'll find SOMETHING. That way, the calorie burning is not the reason you're doing it but the byproduct.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

Enjoy is legit ^^ I'd always remind people who are just starting back or fresh
"Don't do so much you're too sore and don't want to come back"

I can remember many times leaving early just so I would want to come back

At age 28 I was working 6 12 hour shifts, had a nice sweet girlfriend
And was hitting the gym 5 times per week

Scheduling was key
30-45 mins before work was up I was already in the gym mentally
Get to the gym immediately after work. Don't go home and think you're going to make it back to gym. Just go straight from work
I only spent 40mins in the gym but felt great
Was Tasmanian Devil in a bubble.. circuit training

*I cooked all my own food and carried nutritious foods with me
**Awesome one was Total Cereal/Dry Milk/Protein powder in a Tupperware
^^add water and instant healthy snack.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Keep your workout shoes by the door so you see them every day, and your gym bag in your car if you go after work. Studies have shown that even just chaniging the thought in your brain from “I want to go to the gym today” to “I’m going to the gym today” is really beneficial
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to get back in the gym?

Freddie Buckets wrote:

I know exactly what you are talking about. My first question would be have you kind of crossed any age marks since the time you were routinely in the gym or just general lifestyle changes besides not going to the gym? I ask, because if you have went through a period of changes to hormone production or a diminished metabolism....it will be harder to get back in the habit. Beyond knowing and adjusting expectations on how you may feel now compared to then....the only solution is to make it habitual again. Go when you feel good....go when you feel bad....no minor excuses. Even if you do not feel like lifting heavy or hard.....go and do something. Even if you feel like crying because you dread it....go and do something. Eventually it will become part of your weekly schedule and the script will flip to where you begin to feel bad for not going.

Two things that help me overcome the process of making excuses not to go is to make sure you eat somewhat clean, drink a shake, etc. throughout the day.....then when it is time to go to the gym (if your an evening gym guy/girl), you almost feel like it would be a waste to do all that prep throughout the day and not take advantage of it at the gym. The other thing is since I already know my basic gym schedule....bodyparts on particular days....I will take 5 minutes within an hour or so before going to the gym to jot down my plan once I get there (4 Sets of Incline Bench, 4 Sets of.....), it kind of gets my mind in the mood.

The short of it is....just go until in becomes as normal as taking out the trash and washing the dishes. I am 41, and it takes me a while...a month or more to really get back into it when I am out a while.....in comparison, when I was 31, it would only take a week or two. Also, go light a week....2 weeks or longer.....build the habit before really stressing your body to the point of pain. Nothing worse than trying to get back in to the gym while being extremely sore and in pain before you even get there.

Hope some of that helps a bit.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get back in the gym?

Freddie Buckets wrote:

Motivation won't get you to the gym, discpline will. Just do it.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject:

While I personally don't go to the gym, I work out at home using those DVDs from Beachbody I bought a long time ago.

They can range from anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour really. There are some nights where I feel super lazy (especially if it's super cold in the winter or too damn hot in the summer) and I don't do it, then I feel like **** the next day.

That's why I always think of that Nike slogan, "Just do it". It really is that simple. You gotta force yourself to work out, even if it means cutting into your TV time, video game time, or whatever else you like to do. But ultimately, you'll do it without thinking twice and when you're done you're going to feel great.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: