Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers

Hey All,

Latest at @BleacherReport Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers - more so at the FT line, and more so if/when they're in the playoffs
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815147-lonzo-balls-shooting-is-a-serious-problem-for-la-lakers

Cheers,

EP
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers

emplay wrote:
Hey All,

Latest at @BleacherReport Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers - more so at the FT line, and more so if/when they're in the playoffs
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815147-lonzo-balls-shooting-is-a-serious-problem-for-la-lakers

Cheers,

EP

He is up to 40.7% and 33%. Another few percentage points and he will be ok. It’s just that him being wide open often prompts horrible looking misses. The free throws are on him. Unacceptable. Hisheadcaseon these inhibits his driving, which lowers his overall percentage shooting.
DillonSD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo has been my favorite player to watch for the last 2 years and having watched every game he's played he feels so very bipolar to me.

The best way I can describe him is to say the ceiling for Lonzo's best play is probably the second highest only to LeBron. When he's hot he's REAL HOT, and the team flows through him impressively.

Contrasting that is the other version of Lonzo. Aloof, disinterested, lacking confidence, hiding away from the action as much as possible.

When he's good everybody benefits and when he's bad he's an absolute nightmare. I'm far less interested in his shooting consistency which can be improved and far more concerned with the consistent dog in his fight every game.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

DillonSD wrote:
Lonzo has been my favorite player to watch for the last 2 years and having watched every game he's played he feels so very bipolar to me.

The best way I can describe him is to say the ceiling for Lonzo's best play is probably the second highest only to LeBron. When he's hot he's REAL HOT, and the team flows through him impressively.

Contrasting that is the other version of Lonzo. Aloof, disinterested, lacking confidence, hiding away from the action as much as possible.

When he's good everybody benefits and when he's bad he's an absolute nightmare. I'm far less interested in his shooting consistency which can be improved and far more concerned with the consistent dog in his fight every game.

Yep. This is a game of consistency and that's something Lonzo is
not close to. What I've seen is rather depressing but we could only hope
he comes around sooner than later.
The alternative is he was one big mistake; we'll just have to see what happens.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I was watching Skip and Shannon Undisputed. Chris Broussard was on and said that Ball is looking like a young Ricki Rubio. Great passer and rebounder but due to no jump shot never became a star. Not that far off of a comparison.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
I was watching Skip and Shannon Undisputed. Chris Broussard was on and said that Ball is looking like a young Ricki Rubio. Great passer and rebounder but due to no jump shot never became a star. Not that far off of a comparison.
, unfortunately. He needs to shoot much better.

--Anonymous
SeattleLakersFan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is afraid of failing, so he is failing. He desperately needs a shrink. And a shooting coach. What NBA star has played scared and generally lackadaisical for the first two years of their career, and then turned it around?

BI = 6th man type.

Kuzma has some killer instinct in him - I can see him turning the corner.

I love Hart, but how high is his ceiling?

Let’s hope AD declines that super-max, and the Pelicans want these guys....

Last edited by SeattleLakersFan on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:

Ricky Rubio is a good player.
DaKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Someone needs to toughen this kid up mentally and physically. He’s great on defense but thats not going to be enough...He gotta start looking good on offense consistently. I’m not saying 30 points a game but jeeze at least double figures every game...ten freaken points or more.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

Zo is a perfect player for any team that wants to play .500 ball!
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Magic and Pelinka should have watched this tape before drafting Lonzo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZTfgosBjk

The LaVar Ball Cherrypicker Offense that got Lonzo into UCLA

That’s what Lonzo is good at

Throwing full court cherrypicker passes

Maybe Lakers should have Lebron stay on one of the court and try to score 92 points to break Kobe’s record

Ha ha

At this point I would trade Lonzo to any NBA team for a first round pick
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I hadn't realized his shooting is a problem
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

Ricky Rubio is a good player.

He is but is also scoring challenged. Lonzo does not want to be that guy.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

I think the bigger and more urgent problem is his ball-handling and touch around the rim. His passing is his greatest asset but he can't really use it to it's full advantage when he's 25 feet from the basket and a limited threat to attack the paint.

I don't know if someone can figure out a way for him to use his current jumpshot effectively. If not, it's probably going to be a long rebuild for it. Until that happens, he can't continue to just drift in the half-court offense as much as he has been.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Only like two years late. I already noticed this problem after his first pro game. What's scarier is that some of his supporters still think that with practice and a full offseason of work, he could get better.

Let's see how much patience our FO will have once the Lakers start falling out of the playoff picture by not making changes.
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject:

could mediation fix this problem?
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject:

maybe a shooting coach can help actually. Get him one.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

I tried to say that his shooting was still a problem, even when he was "doing other things", and got called a troll on here.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Rubio now!

I was all for drafting Lonzo but man his lack of growth and inability to shoot a friggin FT is ridiculous.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
I'd rather have Rubio now!

I was all for drafting Lonzo but man his lack of growth and inability to shoot a friggin FT is ridiculous.

I was against drafting Lonzo the whole time, being a UCLA guy I knew he wasn't the one and was a bad pick for the Lakers and that the Lakers were drafting him for all of the wrong reasons. That being said the guy I was pining for is just as bad if not worse than Lonzo so far (Josh Jackson).
Swagron
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject:

Ball doesn’t shoot well? Who knew?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Is Harden’s defense a serious problem?
We said Russell’s defense was a real problem.

Is Capela’s range a serious problem?
We are saying Ingram’s range is a real problem.

Is Lopez’s mobility a serious problem?
It seems not now.

Is Randle’s range a serious problem?
Is...

I don’t believe this kind of analysis. I believe in our players.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

When Lonzo is not hitting outside shots or making layups at the rim (which is another problem he has) it almost feels like we're playing 4 on 5 on offense. His outside shooting has improved since Lebron went out, but he has no mid-range game and no post game.

If he could just eventually average 15-18 points a game on 45% shooting and 35-36% shooting from downtown he'd be a star, but he's so far away from it I can't see it ever happening. Dare I say it, so far Lonzo Ball is overrated and overhyped.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

He is at 40% and 33%. (with 37% on three since LeGroin has been out.) These are up from last year and the 3-point shooting is higher than almost everyone in the rotation. When he bricks wide open shots, shows a lack of finesse on drives and cannot maneuver teardrops, then we think he is not very good. But he is improving and will continue so. The problem I see is that his usage is lacking when LeBronze is out there dominating the ball. And he has to expend extra energy because LAB takes plays off. When he has the ball in his hands and starts to run the team with energy and quickness, he is at his best. With that said, NO EXCUSE FOR FREE THROWS. He rushes them, lacks consistency and balance. Time for hypnosis?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lonzo Ball's Shooting Is a Serious Problem for LA Lakers

JM wrote:
emplay wrote:
Hey All,

Cheers,

EP

He is up to 40.7% and 33%. Another few percentage points and he will be ok. It’s just that him being wide open often prompts horrible looking misses. The free throws are on him. Unacceptable. Hisheadcaseon these inhibits his driving, which lowers his overall percentage shooting.

do not place any importance on percentages other than ft%. all players nowadays have learned from lbj that you can raise your 3pt% by just not shooting difficult ones without actually becoming a better 3pt shooter, which is ideally what they should be doing not worrying about percentage. lonzo has improved his percentage this way, and it means nothing. his ft has gone down which likely indicates he is not any better shooter than last year. its nice that he can make easy open threes sometimes, but anybody in the league can do that, big whoop. EM is right this is a very serious problem, they should have known! but you can still see that a lot of fans will not accept this and believe his D and passing is going to be valuable or make up for it. doubtful. all past great passers were also deadly when open, thats important to do what they do as described in the post quoted. magic, stockton, nash...all deadly, especially at the ft line.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: