Make free throws and 3 point shots =

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Make free throws and 3 point shots =

Winning. Finally a game where these two vital components came together for us. It was also nice to see the hustle of the second unit come back from 17 down.

Would like to see Mo and Svi get more minutes and props to the rest of the team. Hopefully this is a springboard for better things to come.

Go Lakers!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Yep, it's simple math, you shoot a higher percentage of your free throws and 3-point shots. then you will most likely outscore your opponent and thus have a better chance at winning the game...!
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

For right now I’d settle for an up tick in made free throws. Since we have players that are not great 3 pt shooters but get to the line because of the style we play, we need to hit on those free throws.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

it doesnt appear to me that a lot of folk here understand that free throws are not likley to change much even over the course of a career (rare instances). our free throw woes as a team indicates a huge issue for the players making up the team. with the exception of kcp and beas, they are all average or quite bad at fts, lbj included. i already wrote before the season started that we will lose games and series because of this.

anyone hoping this will change is ridiculous. if there is a change, it will take years for it to happen for an individual player. like lonzo...it will take some time to go from 40% to 70% if ever. i have no such hope or patience to wait for that. the only way to solve our ft problem is with different players. i dont see any other way. these guys have been playing ball for their lives, at least 15-20 years. you come into the league with the ft skill intact, not going to change now.

well, maybe we can win with bad fts, you might say. unlikely. i dont think ive ever seen a team win with poor fts. what about our shaq laker rings? they were also dead last in ft%. not the same, shaq takes a bunch of fts and drags the team% down. if it were anyone smaller, even a PF, that would not work. that only works if your big man is shaq, wilt, and maybe thats it. if its duncan, lbj, hakeem, etc...not good, you will lose. if its your guard and/or primary ballhandler, you are doomed.

this is simply put, a bad team. bad if you want to win rings. its fine if you just want to compete, have fun, and make the playoffs.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
it doesnt appear to me that a lot of folk here understand that free throws are not likley to change much even over the course of a career (rare instances). our free throw woes as a team indicates a huge issue for the players making up the team. with the exception of kcp and beas, they are all average or quite bad at fts, lbj included. i already wrote before the season started that we will lose games and series because of this.

anyone hoping this will change is ridiculous. if there is a change, it will take years for it to happen for an individual player. like lonzo...it will take some time to go from 40% to 70% if ever. i have no such hope or patience to wait for that. the only way to solve our ft problem is with different players. i dont see any other way. these guys have been playing ball for their lives, at least 15-20 years. you come into the league with the ft skill intact, not going to change now.

well, maybe we can win with bad fts, you might say. unlikely. i dont think ive ever seen a team win with poor fts. what about our shaq laker rings? they were also dead last in ft%. not the same, shaq takes a bunch of fts and drags the team% down. if it were anyone smaller, even a PF, that would not work. that only works if your big man is shaq, wilt, and maybe thats it. if its duncan, lbj, hakeem, etc...not good, you will lose. if its your guard and/or primary ballhandler, you are doomed.

this is simply put, a bad team. bad if you want to win rings. its fine if you just want to compete, have fun, and make the playoffs.

completely agree. However, as much as I think that last night was an anomaly, I do think it demonstrated the kids have it in them. I think it's more mental on both issues. Wasn't Lonzo a much better FT shooter in HS?

Last night just goes to show you, we can beat almost anyone and lose to anyone at the same time.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

THIS. Watching all these shows and hearing all these podcasts...most don't mention we shot 90% from free throw and a ridiculous % from 3. THIS is why we essentially were able to win this game. We actually made shots! It's a lot simpler than all the talk out there. Hit your dang free throws and bring up the 3's and this team will be deadly.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
THIS. Watching all these shows and hearing all these podcasts...most don't mention we shot 90% from free throw and a ridiculous % from 3. THIS is why we essentially were able to win this game. We actually made shots! It's a lot simpler than all the talk out there. Hit your dang free throws and bring up the 3's and this team will be deadly.

but they cant, thats the problem. just because you can do it for one game doesn't mean you are now consistently reliable at it. like they are just going to make up for this good one with a bunch of brick fests later.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
textbook wrote:

but they cant, thats the problem. just because you can do it for one game doesn't mean you are now consistently reliable at it. like they are just going to make up for this good one with a bunch of brick fests later.

You speak a lot of facts.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I think it was about actual plays and playbook execution that led to those 3-point makes... but whatever.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Great FT% the last 2 games.
90% and 80%.

And you guys were laughing at the video where the Lakers were practicing FTs after practice. Lol. I honestly don't know if that helped or not. But hope the team continues this trend
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Great FT% the last 2 games.
90% and 80%.

And you guys were laughing at the video where the Lakers were practicing FTs after practice. Lol. I honestly don't know if that helped or not. But hope the team continues this trend

of all the stats, ft% is the most reliable. two games barely moves the team avg. if we improve over a few games and our team avg goes up now we are doing well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: