Woj: Carmelo traded to Bulls but will not play for the Bulls (Lakers maintain interest; Pg. 11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

who gets cut to bring him in? UNLESS, there's a trade brewing to free up a spot.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

This would be the biggest mistake in Lakers history.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:

Late career Dennis Rodman was a Laker, Magic Johnson, Kurt Rambis and Byron Scott have all been our coach at some point, and we gave Luol Deng a $72 million retirement gift.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:

Unfortunately we have seen worse.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

No way on Melo, please FO! I'd rather have Nick Collison (Mr. Thunder, lol).

The only scenario I could see us getting Melo would be if Lebron twists enough peoples arms to help out an old dear friend of his. But my expectations are that Lebrons brain would overrule his foolish heart and nix any thoughts of this level of stupidity.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

Late career Dennis Rodman was a Laker, Magic Johnson, Kurt Rambis and Byron Scott have all been our coach at some point, and we gave Luol Deng a $72 million retirement gift.

The difference is that you didn't know how much Rodman had left (He led the league in rebounding the year before)... you didn't know how Magic, Scott, and Rambis would do...Deng was coming off two of his most efficient seasons and was supposedly only 30 and wasn't expected to do more than be a solid veteran player.

Melo has failed on two straight teams.

It would be more like rehiring Scott now... or signing Deng again... sheer stubbornness in light of empirical evidence to the contrary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

We knew exactly who Byron was as a coach
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We knew exactly who Byron was as a coach

He got New Jersey to the finals... he got the Pelicans to win 56 games when they can't even win 50 with AD.

But he lost me when he started pulling the Ronnie Price/head of the snake BS.

Absolutely terrible.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

He's gonna be a Laker, by time Lebron get back. Rondo, Bron, Melo. They're gonna get the job done with our young core. Kuzma is also gonna move to the bench and melo is gonna start. BI is still gonna be the 2.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

Unfortunately we have seen worse.

Have we, really? I'm gonna presume there is actually no Laker interest, just clickbait speculators and their latest fail.

Last edited by Trevacious2 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Emplay hinting on a big trade to open up a roster spot for Carmelo Anthony.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

What do you mean hinted? Can you tell us more. Where did you hear or read it? Link?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What do you mean hinted? Can you tell us more. Where did you hear or read it? Link?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2816973-the-los-angeles-lakers-path-to-carmelo-anthony-requires-patience

It sounds like the FO is trying to make a big splash which would then open the door for them to sign Melo, Emplay bought up Bradley Beal but I don’t think Wizards are gonna deal him unless it’s a crazy offer.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

One man's trash is another man's trash.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Did anyone happen to watch OKC flame out of the playoffs last year? Way too many people acted like OKC was some kind of superpower when first signed Carmelo to go with Westbrook and PG13. Some of us laughed at OKC knowing full well what would follow. Fast forward to playoff time, OKC was a horrible playoff team until they benched Carmelo Anthony. With arguments and anger aplenty on the OKC bench just before he sat and never came back. They sat Carmelo for refusing to rotate, help the helper, play team defense, which cost them dearly last year. They wanted to compete for a title, they had a playoff series to win, they had no choice but to bench him but by then it was too late.

This all went down after the Knicks had been trying to get rid of Carmelo so they'd have a chance at climbing out of the cellar without his albatross contract, declining game, and lack of defense. OKC made what proved to be a foolish move to sign him. A year later, OKC management and fans alike were elated that Houston bailed them out, made their own foolish decision, and relieved OKC of Carmelo Anthony.

Now, surprise surprise, Houston has to get rid of Carmelo and won't even play him over the bottom of their roster. And they're trying to compete for a title this year. OH it's because they don't like the mid range game??!? Are you kidding me?

Maybe it's because defense matters? And the rest of his game is declining as well? Now it's Chicago's turn to bail Houston out. Houston had to pay cash to get Melo off their hands.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Yes, agreed.

I have never been a Carmelo guy. Never liked his game. Same with Paul pierce. Just not my cup of tea.
I think Carmelo has to accept his fate. Reduced role with 10-12 mins a game, play over seas or retire.

No one thought the Thunder w/Carmelo would beat the GSW, and everyone was saying the rockets got worse not re-signing Ariza. I don't think you need to pat yourself on the back for those predictions everyone thought.

What some here are saying is he might be a good bench player, hell he might not even be that but if it cost us nothing might as well, we don't have anything to lose.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Only Magic would consider a signing like this. Even if Lebron really wanted him, I still wouldn't give in. But I think Magic actually thinks Melo could be serviceable. I'll take Beas and Lance over Melo anyday.

Because of this, I'm really scared of what kind of players Magic is gonna bring in in the next offseason.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Another issue we have is that Kobe has most likely endorsed Melo to the front office as well.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Only Magic would consider a signing like this. Even if Lebron really wanted him, I still wouldn't give in. But I think Magic actually thinks Melo could be serviceable. I'll take Beas and Lance over Melo anyday.

Because of this, I'm really scared of what kind of players Magic is gonna bring in in the next offseason.
9 days a week. At least they ATTEMPT to play defense and pass.

The Lakers don't usually have a weak spot to be covered up on the defensive side of the court, but Melo isn't likely to stop anyone better than Ryan Kelley.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
Another issue we have is that Kobe has most likely endorsed Melo to the front office as well.

Yeah but for what exactly. Need a guy to tank the season if Lebron and Lonzo are done? He's your man!
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
textbook wrote:

Yeah but for what exactly. Need a guy to tank the season if Lebron and Lonzo are done? He's your man!

Hey Kobe what do you think of Melo?
Kobe: I think he’s still a lethal scorer and can help with your horrible offense. I beleive lebron and even myself can bring the best out of him.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

The fact we are even entertaining the idea is hilarious. I get it though. Why not right? Take a chance and let Lebron do his thing.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

If there was a dude that had the same (recent) numbers and his name was Bill Smith then I can't imagine anyone would support this signing. I mean I get it. He used to be Carmelo Anthony.

The biggest problem may be that, while he is a shadow of his former playing self, there has been no indication that he is willing to take a role as a role player who comes off of the bench.

It's one thing when a bunch of people on a message board don't realize that he isn't all that good anymore but his lack of self awareness is another problem entirely.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I feel like Carmelo is pressuring LeBron to make the call
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
I feel like Carmelo is pressuring LeBron to make the call

Don't think Magic would cave in for Lebron unless he really thinks Melo is better than Beas/Lance. The fact that the Lakers are actually considering signing Melo is really troublesome.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Did anyone happen to watch OKC flame out of the playoffs last year? Way too many people acted like OKC was some kind of superpower when first signed Carmelo to go with Westbrook and PG13. Some of us laughed at OKC knowing full well what would follow. Fast forward to playoff time, OKC was a horrible playoff team until they benched Carmelo Anthony. With arguments and anger aplenty on the OKC bench just before he sat and never came back. They sat Carmelo for refusing to rotate, help the helper, play team defense, which cost them dearly last year. They wanted to compete for a title, they had a playoff series to win, they had no choice but to bench him but by then it was too late.

This all went down after the Knicks had been trying to get rid of Carmelo so they'd have a chance at climbing out of the cellar without his albatross contract, declining game, and lack of defense. OKC made what proved to be a foolish move to sign him. A year later, OKC management and fans alike were elated that Houston bailed them out, made their own foolish decision, and relieved OKC of Carmelo Anthony.

Now, surprise surprise, Houston has to get rid of Carmelo and won't even play him over the bottom of their roster. And they're trying to compete for a title this year. OH it's because they don't like the mid range game??!? Are you kidding me?

Maybe it's because defense matters? And the rest of his game is declining as well? Now it's Chicago's turn to bail Houston out. Houston had to pay cash to get Melo off their hands.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Yes, agreed.

I have never been a Carmelo guy. Never liked his game. Same with Paul pierce. Just not my cup of tea.
I think Carmelo has to accept his fate. Reduced role with 10-12 mins a game, play over seas or retire.

No one thought the Thunder w/Carmelo would beat the GSW, and everyone was saying the rockets got worse not re-signing Ariza. I don't think you need to pat yourself on the back for those predictions everyone thought.

What some here are saying is he might be a good bench player, hell he might not even be that but if it cost us nothing might as well, we don't have anything to lose.

Nothing to loose? Maybe in terms of money. But team chemistry, development of youth could be lost in an instant. Credibility of the front office comes to mind as well. What kind of image do the Lakers want? Retirement home for aged overrated players that got overhyped at some point in their careers?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18
Jump to: