The NBA has made a mockery of basketball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject:

A lot of the responses in this thread are probably in a QFTOS thread on a Rockets forum lol.

Last edited by Judah on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject:

How can you guys complain about the refs after that phantom call Ingram got when P.J. Tucker stripped the ball from him?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How can you guys complain about the refs after that phantom call Ingram got when P.J. Tucker stripped the ball from him?

That was a horrible call, but Harden got them every game.
His step back is traveling, but NBA let it go, he dribbles into you, and you get called for a foul.
Disgusting basketball
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The NBA has made a mockery of basketball

Number 7 wrote:
I wanna vomit. This was the most disgusting basketball game I have ever watched. One team tried to play basketball while the other did nothing but shoot 3s and draw bull fouls. Harden casually and clearly pushed KCP to start the comeback of Houston, but I guess you can be blind and a basketball referee in 2019. Not to mention the classic flop during the 3 he banked. I wonder how many 3s he’d make if defenders were allowed to play defense on him.

Adam Silver needs to be fired and someone needs to fix the rules.

What's even more egregious was the call on the very next play when they whistled Ingram for the offensive hook. Was it a foul? Yes, it was. But you just freaking let Harden run over one of our players on the play before. Just use an equal criteria.

68 3PT attempts.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

i thought he racked through this his arm as well on that play?
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject:

People want to see buckets. Harden is the first superstar in history who gets so many points on so few buckets. Therefore, he's the least likable superstar in history.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

Yellow wrote:
People want to see buckets. Harden is the first superstar in history who gets so many points on so few buckets. Therefore, he's the least likable superstar in history.

Hardens FT made to shot made rate is ridiculous. He has more FT made than shots made. That is unheard of in NBA history.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Initially I did too. But when they went slow motion on the replay, it was clear as day it was a clean strip.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
Yellow wrote:

Hardens FT made to shot made rate is ridiculous. He has more FT made than shots made. That is unheard of in NBA history.

No it's not. See Maggette, Corey for instance.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

As a coach you try to prepare your team for never letting the Refs dictate nor decide the game...

I can't blame this game on Refs, its too cliche'. However the obvious woes for this Lakers team is simply that they lack the maturity and ability to close out games without Rondo or LeBron on the floor.

The Lakers played a solid 1/2 of basketball, but there are 4 quarters to this game. They withstood a 3rd quarter onslaught, barely and survived the game into overtime. It wasn't their game to win, simply because they had no closer.

As far as the game itself and where its evolved to... The Three ball is where its at. From park-rec to the pro's, the Steph Curry style of basketball play is in full swing... Get use to it, because it won't change. More and more teams are lacking size in the middle and players looking to learn post-moves.

It's a perimeter oriented game now... But with that being said and if that's the case, then they should look to change some of the rules, especially with players being defended that far on the perimeter... It's a long way from the basket and a less-likely chance of being injured IMO.

That may get the scoring numbers down and players reverting back to an inside-out style of play.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
so much BS how Harden and Gordon would give a shoulder shove right into a defender holding their ground and get a defensive foul call out of it

The call on Svi in the 1st half was crazy. I think Gordon was taking it to the rack. Is he supposed to just walk away while he's driving?

JVG made a huge stink about that one but I thought that one is called a foul every time in the NBA. Kuzma had an almost identical play that he converted for an and-one and JVG didn't say a word.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's injury he was knocked to the ground yet no foul. Harden pushes his man with his off hand out of bounds and no call. Ingram gets the offensive call on the other end. Did the same on a few of his step back threes. Speaking of Harden's step back I saw at least one time where he did the multi-steps back but didn't shoot right away. That is traveling. If he takes two steps back and shoots in the same motion that isn't. And there are times he is taking three steps in the process watch his feet sometimes he is doing a little shuffle as well. Both the euro step and step back need to be looked at. It still has to be in the motion of shooting or it is traveling. Otherwise why can't someone take two long steps in the paint, wait for a bit and shoot? They should only be allowed in the process of a shot once there is a delay it is traveling.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
As a coach you try to prepare your team for never letting the Refs dictate nor decide the game...

I can't blame this game on Refs, its too cliche'. However the obvious woes for this Lakers team is simply that they lack the maturity and ability to close out games without Rondo or LeBron on the floor.

The Lakers played a solid 1/2 of basketball, but there are 4 quarters to this game. They withstood a 3rd quarter onslaught, barely and survived the game into overtime. It wasn't their game to win, simply because they had no closer.

As far as the game itself and where its evolved to... The Three ball is where its at. From park-rec to the pro's, the Steph Curry style of basketball play is in full swing... Get use to it, because it won't change. More and more teams are lacking size in the middle and players looking to learn post-moves.

It's a perimeter oriented game now... But with that being said and if that's the case, then they should look to change some of the rules, especially with players being defended that far on the perimeter... It's a long way from the basket and a less-likely chance of being injured IMO.

That may get the scoring numbers down and players reverting back to an inside-out style of play.

The league doesn't want a Big-Man driven league. There's not enough to go around. They want an every-man league where 2 to 3 guys on every team are a threat to go off by chucking threes that the defender is not entitled to defend. That way, every home team has a puncher's chance of winning on any given night.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

If we had some actual sideline out of bounds plays in our bag, we would have had a better shot at it. We always seem to have issues inbounding the ball in critical situation.

First one, we had to burn our last timeout preventing us from setting up a final shot with 2 secs to go.

Then of course, the OT play where he fumbled the ball out of bounds but why are we inbounding it into the corner with 15 secs to go?! Way too much unnecessary risk.
Rhazz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Initially I did too. But when they went slow motion on the replay, it was clear as day it was a clean strip.

He took his left hand clear off the ball. That’s not a strip. I thought it was initially but after seeing the replay he clearly raked his left hand off the ball.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Rhazz wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

He took his left hand clear off the ball. That’s not a strip. I thought it was initially but after seeing the replay he clearly raked his left hand off the ball.

Hand is part of the ball dude.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

Its the BS travels that DON'T get called. Literally 3 steps Everytime
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

The only real issue I have with the calls Harden gets, is that the same or similar calls don't seem to happen for other players. I think he gets the call a lot on reputation, which is fine, we see that happen with defensive players as well, but, that doesn't make it not annoying.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

The way the NBA is presented is a mirror of current popular culture. No substance or depth. The movie and and music industries have been totally trashed owing to studios and record companies having the ability to create, control, and dictate the the process from A-Z. When an artist/actor/actress/ is truly talented, they have too much power. See what happened to Michael Jackson and Prince along with many others. The NBA has decided a different route... Instead of partnering; the NBA now indoctrinates starting at the AAU (and earlier) levels.

James Harden is the closest thing to a controlled process/product that you'll ever see in the sports world. I don't take it seriously because I've been around long enough to see the NBA strategically remove the motivation/path for players to great on their own merit. It's all manufactured now.

Years ago, the NBA was played inside out and great players truly had to be great in all facets of the game. There was no false anointing of one trick ponies. This gave the players too much power and it reflected in CBA negotiations. The owners hated it and David Stern set it in motion to kill the big man. Stern knew that killing the big man meant he could open up the court and manufacture stars on the perimeter that he controlled.

To be a great player used to mean overcoming an obstacle. But overcoming an obstacle also creates empowerment. James Harden is not a better player than Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, or even Michael Redd. If those players were in their prime and playing now, they'd be in conversation to be GOAT level players. The difference is in their generation, it wasn't just handed. It had to be earned; and when they fell short; it was because of competition; not because the NBA controlled the process.

So for me... I don't take the NBA serious anymore. I used to get really into it and root hard. But it's all fake now. The Mavs and Kings (of the 2000's) were the alpha and beta test groups. The NBA then released the NBA Street video game to capitalize on the movement. Then came the Suns (Nash) and Warriors (pre Steph).

If you've been around long enough to see how the NBA worked to change the game, it will disgust you and you'll probably lose interest too.

The NBA officially died when Kobe, Garnett, and Duncan retired.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Lonzo's injury he was knocked to the ground yet no foul. Harden pushes his man with his off hand out of bounds and no call. Ingram gets the offensive call on the other end. Did the same on a few of his step back threes. Speaking of Harden's step back I saw at least one time where he did the multi-steps back but didn't shoot right away. That is traveling. If he takes two steps back and shoots in the same motion that isn't. And there are times he is taking three steps in the process watch his feet sometimes he is doing a little shuffle as well. Both the euro step and step back need to be looked at. It still has to be in the motion of shooting or it is traveling. Otherwise why can't someone take two long steps in the paint, wait for a bit and shoot? They should only be allowed in the process of a shot once there is a delay it is traveling.

The reason he pauses after the stepback is to see if the defender is going to jump at him so he can draw a foul. If not, then he can just go straight up for an uncontested 3. And yes it's a travel, and an example of how he manipulates the rules. He is more an artist than a basketball player.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Rhazz wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

One angle was clean, one angle was a foul. Overall, I’m ok with how they called this game. Harden didn’t get so many calls like he got the last time against us. We were in a position to win this one which is all I can expect at this point.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
We gotta stop the whining after every Rockets loss

So don't go on an anti officiating thread after a Houston game, simple solution no?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Because Tucker reached. It’s a bad call but much different than rewarding a guy who drops his shoulder into the defender and flails. Since the beginning of ball refs have missed reach in calls both ways. These Harden calls were never called before. At least nowhere near the level they are now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
We gotta stop the whining after every Rockets loss

So don't go on an anti officiating thread after a Houston game, simple solution no?

Thought this was an NBA mockery thread. Is it not?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

NBA Officiating is far and away the worst of the major sports. It is like they hire incompetent people intentionally.

Baseball has issues too but at least instant reply has cleaned up everything except the random strike zone there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: