The NBA has made a mockery of basketball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fans of winning teams rarely complain about the state of the league in which they are dominating.

But are the Rockets winning? Their entire team is made up floppers and underachievers who benefit from (1) The current rules (2) analytic basketcrap.

They'll get ran out of the playoffs again. This is why Rockets fans are so sensitive. They know Harden ain't ish without the refs and they know their team is fugazi.

How else do you explain offering up a Youtube video that actually works against your argument?

I guess my point is -- the league has moved to a run/gun, 3pt shooting league. When it was dominated by big men, the teams that didn't have a dominant big man complained that the NBA was going downhill since it's just a "dump it into the big guy under the basket" league requiring no skill and just brute force. NOTE: When we had said big guy we were NOT complaining about it.

It's always the have nots that complain about those who do have. So, I think it would be a more fruitful and useful discussion, to figure out how we can do what those who do have do, and do it better. Or, strategize around how we can disrupt the current state and start a new trend and dominate that way.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Harden is a great player, I just find his style to be annoying. just my opinion.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fans of winning teams rarely complain about the state of the league in which they are dominating.

But are the Rockets winning? Their entire team is made up floppers and underachievers who benefit from (1) The current rules (2) analytic basketcrap.

They'll get ran out of the playoffs again. This is why Rockets fans are so sensitive. They know Harden ain't ish without the refs and they know their team is fugazi.

How else do you explain offering up a Youtube video that actually works against your argument?

I guess my point is -- the league has moved to a run/gun, 3pt shooting league. When it was dominated by big men, the teams that didn't have a dominant big man complained that the NBA was going downhill since it's just a "dump it into the big guy under the basket" league requiring no skill and just brute force. NOTE: When we had said big guy we were NOT complaining about it.

It's always the have nots that complain about those who do have. So, I think it would be a more fruitful and useful discussion, to figure out how we can do what those who do have do, and do it better. Or, strategize around how we can disrupt the current state and start a new trend and dominate that way.

Eh. I find it a little surprising that Harden and the Rockets generate so much passion here. I remember the same thing back in the day with Hakeem, though it wasn't Laker fans at the forefront. Some Utah radio station had a song called "Walk Like a Nigerian."
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

GREAT POINT!

However, just having an advantage isn't enough. Shaq was an advantage because he sucked an extra defender away from the perimeter because his size/strength made it "almost" impossible to guard one on one. But there were players who had success against Shaq by countering his physicality with savvy post defense or by the opposing team constantly putting him in the pick n roll/pop action. These are all functions of basketball and every team had/has an opportunity to scheme for it. And for all the pressure that Shaq or any other big brute applied, they still needed shooters and mostly were only a threat 8ft (max) to the basket. It was still basketball no matter what.

This bull ish the NBA lets Harden get away with isn't basketball. He's manipulating the rules to create separation. If it was just him running into defenders, I would still dislike him, but opposing players could knock him on his @ss to counter or move out of the way and let him fall.

In the case of the carry/travel moves... The defense/defender is helpless because their biggest concern is not playing out of the team defensive scheme/strategy. If they let Harden break the team down owing to a selfish attempt to stop Harden from the carry/travel; odds are that's inexcusable and said player would be benched. I supposed this is why LeBron and Hart mockingly place their hands behind their back. They are truly helpless.

But as I mentioned before... Harden is a controlled process. The NBA's owns his entire game and I doubt they want to kill it during the regular season because they honestly need the ratings. The overall skill of NBA players is down and teaming up has hurt the overall product. Having the illusion that one guy can take down a super power is vital for business right now.

Harden sucks... Trust me... Someone is going to Metta his @ss again. Then the NBA will be the one's with blood on their hands.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Harden's stepback isn't a travel. Please familiarize yourself with the gather rule. It's not as if multiple refs haven't made videos explaining how it's legal. No need for so much complaining about something that has been broken down on tape, by refs, plenty of times. Y'all are too educated on this board for that.

If you wanna bash him stick with subjective stuff like the FT trips. The gather rule is pretty basic, non subjective at all if you simply know the rules, and not hard to research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/basketball/james-harden-travel-or-not-why-the-james-harden-step-back-jumper-is-not-a-travel

He doesn't travel and Kobe hit Artest in the throatchest. You're never going to convince every base that they really shouldn't find him repulsive. It won't happen. Fans from other teams aren't required to work extra hard to like/respect your boy. We lost the previous gm at HOU when he acted like he got shot during a 3 pt flop that was, again, called in his favor. Head snapback, exaggerated flail and you're gonna sit there and complain about subjective POVs.

My post didn't say anything about liking him. My post said there is no need to keep calling a move a travel when the rules show its legal, refs have made videos showing its legal and the league says its legal. It's clearly legal. That's all.

But hey, I guess the theory of cheating for a guy in the regular season and then to stop in the playoffs is more believable.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Harden's stepback isn't a travel. Please familiarize yourself with the gather rule. It's not as if multiple refs haven't made videos explaining how it's legal. No need for so much complaining about something that has been broken down on tape, by refs, plenty of times. Y'all are too educated on this board for that.

If you wanna bash him stick with subjective stuff like the FT trips. The gather rule is pretty basic, non subjective at all if you simply know the rules, and not hard to research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/basketball/james-harden-travel-or-not-why-the-james-harden-step-back-jumper-is-not-a-travel

He doesn't travel and Kobe hit Artest in the throatchest. You're never going to convince every base that they really shouldn't find him repulsive. It won't happen. Fans from other teams aren't required to work extra hard to like/respect your boy. We lost the previous gm at HOU when he acted like he got shot during a 3 pt flop that was, again, called in his favor. Head snapback, exaggerated flail and you're gonna sit there and complain about subjective POVs.

My post didn't say anything about liking him. My post said there is no need to keep calling a move a travel when the rules show its legal, refs have made videos showing its legal and the league says its legal. It's clearly legal. That's all.

But hey, I guess the theory of cheating for a guy in the regular season and then to stop in the playoffs is more believable.

Tim Donaghey.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

You're probably right DS...the 1st superstar with more FTs made than FGs made isn't exploiting the rules with the help of the NBA. It's all in our heads...the heads of fan bases from every other team...

The videos that confirm our POVs are all AI fabrications.

He doesn't take 2 and 3 steps back to 'gather' for the shot. He doesn't flop at will. He doesn't barrel into his defender. And he definitely doesn't push off to step back.

When Michael Jordan says, 'damn I didn't even get THAT call' I think everyone should realize something is up including Rocket fans that put blinders on and pray last year wasn't your best chance to win a ring even though deep down you know it was.

Hope we get to see y'all in the playoffs.

#BannersOverBillboards
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

Tim Donaghey.

League rulebook.

League on record clarifying their rule.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

You're probably right DS...the 1st superstar with more FTs made than FGs made isn't exploiting the rules with the help of the NBA. It's all in our heads...the heads of fan bases from every other team...

What does the NBA gain by helping James Harden or the Houston Rockets? The guy has less all star votes than a rookie foreigner. Please tell me how this benefits the league? He's not a well liked player. We aren't a major market.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

What does the NBA gain by helping James Harden or the Houston Rockets? The guy has less all star votes than a rookie foreigner. Please tell me how this benefits the league? He's not a well liked player. We aren't a major market.

Having all likable players doesn’t benefit the league, having characters does. A guy with a beard who everybody hates because he baits refs and has a controversial go to move is marketable. I’m not saying I agree that a conspiracy is going on but there is a plausible motive.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

GREAT POINT!

However, just having an advantage isn't enough. Shaq was an advantage because he sucked an extra defender away from the perimeter because his size/strength made it "almost" impossible to guard one on one. But there were players who had success against Shaq by countering his physicality with savvy post defense or by the opposing team constantly putting him in the pick n roll/pop action. These are all functions of basketball and every team had/has an opportunity to scheme for it. And for all the pressure that Shaq or any other big brute applied, they still needed shooters and mostly were only a threat 8ft (max) to the basket. It was still basketball no matter what.

This bull ish the NBA lets Harden get away with isn't basketball. He's manipulating the rules to create separation. If it was just him running into defenders, I would still dislike him, but opposing players could knock him on his @ss to counter or move out of the way and let him fall.

In the case of the carry/travel moves... The defense/defender is helpless because their biggest concern is not playing out of the team defensive scheme/strategy. If they let Harden break the team down owing to a selfish attempt to stop Harden from the carry/travel; odds are that's inexcusable and said player would be benched. I supposed this is why LeBron and Hart mockingly place their hands behind their back. They are truly helpless.

But as I mentioned before... Harden is a controlled process. The NBA's owns his entire game and I doubt they want to kill it during the regular season because they honestly need the ratings. The overall skill of NBA players is down and teaming up has hurt the overall product. Having the illusion that one guy can take down a super power is vital for business right now.

Harden sucks... Trust me... Someone is going to Metta his @ss again. Then the NBA will be the one's with blood on their hands.

The NBA needs ratings, and so the way they are going to get those ratings, is by sending James Harden, and only James Harden ...

... to the free throw line?!

Do you really think the increase in FTs is driven by a ratings push?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

The other day a poster was indignant that Harden wasn't getting any respect in the All Star voting. I'm like, who can respect his game when it's based on getting the refs to continuously help break the defense down for him? People don't respect Harden and don't think he's the best player in the game because he gets so much dang help.

Can't stand him.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

They should make the 3 worth 2.5 points. Or whatever the number needs to be to screw the econ major stats nerds excel sheets up. Also they need to review how they allow defense. It’s just too much. I get that the refs didn’t make the rules and are just trying to inforce it. But it’s just too much. You shouldn’t be allowed to just throw yourself at the defender and get calls. It’s not fun to watch. Watching free throws is much less fun than watching a low scoring game.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Having all likable players doesn’t benefit the league, having characters does. A guy with a beard who everybody hates because he baits refs and has a controversial go to move is marketable. I’m not saying I agree that a conspiracy is going on but there is a plausible motive.

James Harden is one of the least marketable star players in the league. Marketable players possess one or more of the following traits:

- Unique physical traits (size, strength, appealing style of play, athleticism)
- Personality
- Champion / winner

James Harden is neither of those things (and frankly, neither is AD). Baiting refs and having a controversial go to move has zero mass market appeal. You need to understand that in the game of marketability, the key is to maximize your appeal to the broadest possible audience. The things you mention get a lot of attention within the relatively small circle of the basketball world, yes, but the where the money is being made is in appealing to people outside of that circle. People want to be Lebron, play like Curry, win like Kobe. Those things drive marketability.

Last edited by ringfinger on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

Tim Donaghey.

League rulebook.

League on record clarifying their rule.

But they cherrypick examples where he isn't doing the move that people complain about. Harden clearly takes more steps in the first play of the clip than in the one the ref analyses.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

The other day a poster was indignant that Harden wasn't getting any respect in the All Star voting. I'm like, who can respect his game when it's based on getting the refs to continuously help break the defense down for him? People don't respect Harden and don't think he's the best player in the game because he gets so much dang help.

Can't stand him.

James Harden's standing in the All-Star voting is not consistent with his overall production. That should tell you right there that his trips to the FT line are the antithesis of marketable.

The fact he had ZERO trips to the free throw line last year in the ASG, should also tell you that the FTs aren't being manufactured as a ratings ploy.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The fact he had ZERO trips to the free throw line last year in the ASG, should also tell you that the FTs aren't being manufactured as a ratings ploy.

Could barely score in that game too, because the refs weren't gifting him everything on a platter xD
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Could barely score in that game too, because the refs weren't gifting him everything on a platter xD

Why weren’t they if doing so is so marketable?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
drae wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Why weren’t they if doing so is so marketable?

Because it’s an All star game, it’s a completely different game and is only highlights. The regular season is about manufacturing story lines like “James Harden has scored 30+ points x amount of times” cause people can’t see all the superstars on the court at the same time.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

James Harden is one of the least marketable star players in the league. Marketable players possess one or more of the following traits:

- Unique physical traits (size, strength, appealing style of play, athleticism)
- Personality
- Champion / winner

James Harden is neither of those things (and frankly, neither is AD). Baiting refs and having a controversial go to move has zero mass market appeal. You need to understand that in the game of marketability, the key is to maximize your appeal to the broadest possible audience. The things you mention get a lot of attention within the relatively small circle of the basketball world, yes, but the where the money is being made is in appealing to people outside of that circle. People want to be Lebron, play like Curry, win like Kobe. Those things drive marketability.

Scoring is marketable. Signature moves are marketable. Being a villain is marketable. Giant beards are marketable(as he has proven with his merchandise). We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on him being one of the least marketable players in the league. A guy on a Kobe type scoring run with a few signature moves and a discernible physical feature is very marketable to people who don’t watch the NBA much. Again, I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy but I don’t think you understand marketing if you don’t see why the league could use a superstar like Harden.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
The way the NBA is presented is a mirror of current popular culture. No substance or depth. The movie and and music industries have been totally trashed owing to studios and record companies having the ability to create, control, and dictate the the process from A-Z. When an artist/actor/actress/ is truly talented, they have too much power. See what happened to Michael Jackson and Prince along with many others. The NBA has decided a different route... Instead of partnering; the NBA now indoctrinates starting at the AAU (and earlier) levels.

James Harden is the closest thing to a controlled process/product that you'll ever see in the sports world. I don't take it seriously because I've been around long enough to see the NBA strategically remove the motivation/path for players to great on their own merit. It's all manufactured now.

Years ago, the NBA was played inside out and great players truly had to be great in all facets of the game. There was no false anointing of one trick ponies. This gave the players too much power and it reflected in CBA negotiations. The owners hated it and David Stern set it in motion to kill the big man. Stern knew that killing the big man meant he could open up the court and manufacture stars on the perimeter that he controlled.

To be a great player used to mean overcoming an obstacle. But overcoming an obstacle also creates empowerment. James Harden is not a better player than Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, or even Michael Redd. If those players were in their prime and playing now, they'd be in conversation to be GOAT level players. The difference is in their generation, it wasn't just handed. It had to be earned; and when they fell short; it was because of competition; not because the NBA controlled the process.

So for me... I don't take the NBA serious anymore. I used to get really into it and root hard. But it's all fake now. The Mavs and Kings (of the 2000's) were the alpha and beta test groups. The NBA then released the NBA Street video game to capitalize on the movement. Then came the Suns (Nash) and Warriors (pre Steph).

If you've been around long enough to see how the NBA worked to change the game, it will disgust you and you'll probably lose interest too.

The NBA officially died when Kobe, Garnett, and Duncan retired.

Post of the year! I thought I was the only geezer who was convinced of “the mans” destruction of art and creativity in order to manufacture profit.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't believe for a second the league is trying to prop Harden up by helping him. What I believe has happened is he is exploiting the rules and in the process the league would rather explain why they aren't calling it than clean up the rules. They can easily fix this by a) clean up the 0 step/gather definition b) make sure the two steps (not three) are in the flow of shooting c) fine him for flopping on his 3s and yes he does it a lot and d) call the push offs already.

He is essentially three and four step space by driving his defender in, "gently" pushing him off and letting the momentum carry him away then taking 3 steps back leveraging the "gather" as a step. Didn't the league redefine the jump stop? This is the same as the jump stop into two steps to shoot which is a travel. People are arguing by restating what the league has stated, but lets be honest with ourselves. This looks bad when you watch it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Oddball trivia of the day: Harden has played 155 minutes in six all-star games, but he has never shot a free throw. He has shot .417 from three, has averaged as many as 12 assists (and 10 turnovers), but he has never taken even a single free throw.

By comparison, Kobe shot 38 in 415 minutes, and Lebron has shot 35 in 414 minutes. I don't know if this actually means anything, but you could probably win a bet at the sports bar with it.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Oddball trivia of the day: Harden has played 155 minutes in six all-star games, but he has never shot a free throw. He has shot .417 from three, has averaged as many as 12 assists (and 10 turnovers), but he has never taken even a single free throw.

By comparison, Kobe shot 38 in 415 minutes, and Lebron has shot 35 in 414 minutes. I don't know if this actually means anything, but you could probably win a bet at the sports bar with it.

It means Kobe and Lebron get genuinely, badly fouled enough so when the refs put the whistle away in playoffs and All Star games those fouls are still called. Because they are blatant fouls.

Harden's ticky tack fouls are not called as much in playoffs and All Star games so he gets a reduced number.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't see any incentive for the league to call extra fouls for Harden. He gets calls because he handles the ball a lot and he looks for contact. Lou Williams was coming off the bench and almost never attacked the basket and he was getting to the free throw line almost as much as Harden. Was the league trying to make Lou a star?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: