Anyone run a marathon (or half marathon)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Anyone run a marathon (or half marathon)?

I have been running for the past 8 months. I do it about 3-4 times a week. My average run is 5 miles, and my long run is a little over 8 miles. The good thing is that I just do it for health reasons, and because I enjoy it, but I've always wondered if I could be able to run a marathon (even a half marathon, which seems a lot more doable).

Has anyone ever ran one, and how would someone train from an 8 mile long run to an actual marathon?
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

There are lots of good training plans available, just google and pick the one you like the most. Just don't forget to have fun!
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Have you run a 5K or a 10K before? Given your training, I think a half marathon is doable, but a full 26 might be pushing it (unless you're jogging for most of the time).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

You'll be able to, especially if the 8 mile is the long run.

When I was running half marathons, I was adding +1 mile per week until I got to 10 miles a run. Then I would stagger long and short runs to not wear out.

Mentally though, I had to run 14 miles to get over that 13.1 hump. Once I knew I could do 14, then rest, I knew I could do well for a half.

In your case since you run 3x a week

8-4-8

9-4-9

10-5-10

10-6-10

11-5-11

Once you get to this point, some don't go over 11 and just say it's just 2 more miles, no biggie.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I ran a full marathon in 2014. It was my first (and only) one I've run. I followed the Hal Higdon training schedule. Just google it. It's easy to follow.

It was a great experience and was fun training and pushing myself. I finished in 4 hours 42 minutes. Mile 24-26 were brutal, but once you see the finish line and hear everyone cheering, you get a burst of energy to finish.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone run a marathon (or half marathon)?

leor_77 wrote:
I have been running for the past 8 months. I do it about 3-4 times a week. My average run is 5 miles, and my long run is a little over 8 miles. The good thing is that I just do it for health reasons, and because I enjoy it, but I've always wondered if I could be able to run a marathon (even a half marathon, which seems a lot more doable).

Has anyone ever ran one, and how would someone train from an 8 mile long run to an actual marathon?

If you’re already doing 8 miles you’d be able to train up for a half or a full marathon easily.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Have you run a 5K or a 10K before? Given your training, I think a half marathon is doable, but a full 26 might be pushing it (unless you're jogging for most of the time).

you know next to nothing about OP

lol

not sure how you could come to that conclusion
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Well, since a 10k is 6.2 miles, and I can do 8 miles already, I think I can probably jump out of bed and do one. But you're right, a half-marathon is more realistic for me (26 miles is a lot).

With that said, there's the question of whether I actually "need" to do an official race to feel good about myself. I am enjoying my solo runs right now, and am not the kind of person that needs a piece of paper for validation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Well, since a 10k is 6.2 miles, and I can do 8 miles already, I think I can probably jump out of bed and do one. But you're right, a half-marathon is more realistic for me (26 miles is a lot).

With that said, there's the question of whether I actually "need" to do an official race to feel good about myself. I am enjoying my solo runs right now, and am not the kind of person that needs a piece of paper for validation.

The right question is to figure out why you want to do it. If it's just for you, that's different than if it's competitive.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I ran the LA Marathon in 2011. My training consisted of 3-12 miles a day on the treadmill (3-5 days a week) and 6 miles running outdoors every weekend. Did that for almost 6 months leading up to the big day. I ate healthy. Cut out soda and beer completely. Lots of protein shakes, fish oils and some creatine. I was in the best shape of my life and confident I'd breeze thru the marathon.

HOWEVER! Somewhere around mile 17 I got a sharp pain in my foot and decided to slow it down and walk it off for a bit. My stamina was off the charts, so I thought it would be okay if I tended to this pain. Big mistake. My body quickly tightened up. Mostly in my knees and hips. Every time I tried to get going again, the pain just got worse. Both my knees felt like it was bone on bone grinding with every step. Nothing even close to this happened in any of my training in the previous 6 months.

What finally pushed me thru was I noticed a group of people running with a person holding a sign that read "4 Hours". I always told myself I'm not going past 4 hours, so off I went. After a while my body finally loosened back up. The pain was still there, but at least I was moving again.

I don't know if this record has held since, but at the time it was the rainiest LA Marathon in it's existence. My end time was 4 hours, 4 minutes and 47 seconds. Surprisingly I wasn't bummed at all about going over 4 hours. I was more satisfied that I pushed thru the excruciating and sustained challenge of my body telling me to stop. To this day, I know I can do anything because of that marathon.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Sounds like you're doing this for yourself and for the right reasons (health, personal fitness goal, etc.). As long as you don't feel anything physical holding you back, go for it and share your experience with the rest of us.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Do the race. You'll enjoy the camaraderie, the motivation and overall experience. Its a big payoff after training for so many months.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Do the race. You'll enjoy the camaraderie, the motivation and overall experience. Its a big payoff after training for so many months.

Just that one race could provide years of wisdom from everyone there.. If you're socially up for it.. do it.

Find out later if it was for you or just the checklist...
Stay fit
Prove to self I am fit
check off list.

Wait til you're passed up by some 50-60 year olds
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: