Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I see we've found a way to create a Russell thread in the main lounge.. lol
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

I remember the Lakers Legacy Podcast complaining about how Pincus and others were unfair about Russell in his early days. Not sure if that happened, but if true, time does change things.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I remember the Lakers Legacy Podcast complaining about how Pincus and others were unfair about Russell in his early days. Not sure if that happened, but if true, time does change things.

He was unprofessional and acted like an entitled brat while he was here. I don't see an argument for moving him, or not wanting him here based on his game, or ceiling. Many of the criticisms were warranted based on how he conducted himself.

In my opinion there's just way too much whining going on about him. It's over, he's not coming back.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

This is RussellGround. If you want to talk lakers. Head over to General Basketball Discussion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He was unprofessional and acted like an entitled brat while he was here. I don't see an argument for moving him, or not wanting him here based on his game, or ceiling. Many of the criticisms were warranted based on how he conducted himself.

Drink the Kool Aid
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Drink the Kool Aid

I would consider it unprofessional to publicly out a teammate for his infidelities. I think most would. No kool aid needed.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Drink the Kool Aid

I would consider it unprofessional to publicly out a teammate for his infidelities. I think most would. No kool aid needed.

Agreed. Good think Russel never leaked the video.
daSilentFlame
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Drink the Kool Aid

It’s funny how it’s been reported that his girlfriend at the time stole the video off his phone and uploaded it. People rather hate on him than understand the full picture. Ish happens... in the end it wasn’t him who outted his teammates.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

It's just incredible to me how quickly they gave up on a highly talented #2 pick b/c of an off the court incident that was really leaked by someone other than DLO.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's just incredible to me how quickly they gave up on a highly talented #2 pick b/c of an off the court incident that was really leaked by someone other than DLO.

Yin.. you know that's not entirely true. He wasn't showing up for practice on time, and had a bad attitude. Even GT, one of his biggest supporters got pissed off at him for his intentional non effort and focus in game..The coaches lost him. When I said he wasn't conducting himself as a professional I wasn't talking about the incident with Young. It wasn't cool, but I don't even care that he did it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yin.. you know that's not entirely true. He wasn't showing up for practice on time, and had a bad attitude. Even GT, one of his biggest supporters got pissed off at him for his intentional non effort and focus in game..The coaches lost him. When I said he wasn't conducting himself as a professional I wasn't talking about the incident with Young. It wasn't cool, but I don't even care that he did it.

So we go out and sign Lance and Beez for the right culture guys instead?

He was 19 years old. You correct that behavior, it wasn't incorrigible. Look at him now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yin.. you know that's not entirely true. He wasn't showing up for practice on time, and had a bad attitude.

Have a source on that?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He was 19 years old. You correct that behavior, it wasn't incorrigible. Look at him now.

You can attempt to correct that behavior which I'm sure they did unsuccessfully. He'd be a nice asset to have at present, with that being said there are a lot of good options for combo guards in this league. He's replaceable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Drink the Kool Aid

Not really, he still got blamed.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yin.. you know that's not entirely true. He wasn't showing up for practice on time, and had a bad attitude.

Have a source on that?

We(LG) talked about this very issue at length in his thread. I remember it clearly. I don't have any links for you.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You can attempt to correct that behavior which I'm sure they did unsuccessfully. He'd be a nice asset to have at present, with that being said there are a lot of good options for combo guards in this league. He's replaceable.

So we have a coaching staff that we're going to dump b/c they're not getting the job done.

We bring in such team culture luminaries like Lance and Beez.

We tell kids to work hard and then dump on them like they did with Jules and then throw them all in a failed trade.

But hey, that 19 year old, he's just unchangeable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Similar to Orlando who are now seeing Payton blow up.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Doc Rivers: The Lakers gave up on D'Angelo Russell too soon

After the Lakers basically discarded D’Angelo Russell, he came back to town as the author of his own Hollywood success story — an All-Star leading the Nets’ playoff push.

Clippers coach Doc Rivers has known Russell not just from coaching down the hall in Staples Center, but from his son, Austin, playing summer ball with Russell during their Florida school days. He suggested the other team in town gave up on the young guard too quickly, then saw Russell light his team up for a game-high 32 points Sunday night in the Nets’ 119-116 loss.

“He played at Montverde [Academy] in Orlando. He played a lot in the summer with Austin [Rivers], so I’ve been able to see him for a long, long time,” Rivers said. “I was disappointed early on, because I just thought that he was really good. Sometimes, you’ve just got to wait on a kid.

“The same thing with teams. Especially in this young group. You look at each draft and there’s guys that come out at 19 and they don’t take off right away. They get moved around, and the next thing you know, they’re players. It happens more than we know, and it happened to D’Angelo.”

(His Current Coach) Atkinson said. “He’s improved his body a ton. He’s a super-high IQ player, really knows how to play the game. I think as his body improves and he gets a little mature he’s going to just keep getting better.

“He’s scratching the elite level in this league already at a young age.”

Russell, who also had 10 assists and five rebounds, had 30-plus points and double-digit assists for the first time in his career — a career that seems to be trending upward with his first All-Star berth.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/18/doc-rivers-lakers-gave-up-on-dangelo-russell-too-soon/

The answer is yes.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So we have a coaching staff that we're going to dump b/c they're not getting the job done.

We bring in such team culture luminaries like Lance and Beez.

We tell kids to work hard and then dump on them like they did with Jules and then throw them all in a failed trade.

But hey, that 19 year old, he's just unchangeable.

Let's think about the argument you're making.. You're acknowledging that Russell had quite a few issues that the coaching staff had difficulty rectifying. You don't dump a coaching staff because they can't get a problem prospect in line. You might do it for a superstar.. but not a prospect. Lance and Beas demonstrated that they can be coached, and when it appeared that Beas couldn't be, he was moved. This isn't a daycare. The Lakers have had no such issues with Kuz, Ball, or Ingram.. and they've had to endure more in my opinion. Edit.. Forgot Randle.. He was treated like (bleep), but still managed to be the best player on our squad.

Last edited by SocalDevin on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Would have had a more realistic shot of keeping him if not for MozDeng. Bron only wanted to come if we had 2 max space. Maginka are stupid and probably would have still traded him, but, we couldn’t re-sign him this Summer if we get another FA......would have had to trade him at the Feb 19’ deadline to get any value back for him. I’m not really hung up about it, it’s pretty much Jim Buss’ fault
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Would have had a more realistic shot of keeping him if not for MozDeng. Bron only wanted to come if we had 2 max space. Maginka are stupid and probably would have still trade him, but, we couldn’t re-sign him this Summer if we get another FA......would have had to traded him at the Feb 19’ deadline to get any value back for him. I’m not really hung up about it, it’s pretty much Jim Buss’ fault

That's how I rationalize it too. But man, I team with Dlo, Randle, Kuz, BI, Zo...

Just to watch that team grow. And yeah I know we wouldn't be competing for top spots in the west, but we wouldn't be in a limbo with an aging star trying to juggle winning now and developing our youth.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Would have had a more realistic shot of keeping him if not for MozDeng. Bron only wanted to come if we had 2 max space. Maginka are stupid and probably would have still traded him, but, we couldn’t re-sign him this Summer if we get another FA......would have had to trade him at the Feb 19’ deadline to get any value back for him. I’m not really hung up about it, it’s pretty much Jim Buss’ fault

If the past FO gave MDA the contract he wanted. I bet DLO would still be here. Can't believe they thought Scott was a good match for DLO.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

If the past FO gave MDA the contract he wanted. I bet DLO would still be here. Can't believe they thought Scott was a good match for DLO.

I think it was Scott was for Kobe...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Would have had a more realistic shot of keeping him if not for MozDeng. Bron only wanted to come if we had 2 max space. Maginka are stupid and probably would have still trade him, but, we couldn’t re-sign him this Summer if we get another FA......would have had to traded him at the Feb 19’ deadline to get any value back for him. I’m not really hung up about it, it’s pretty much Jim Buss’ fault

That's how I rationalize it too. But man, I team with Dlo, Randle, Kuz, BI, Zo...

Just to watch that team grow. And yeah I know we wouldn't be competing for top spots in the west, but we wouldn't be in a limbo with an aging star trying to juggle winning now and developing our youth.

Keeping DLo and being able to have 2maxes would have been the dream for me. DLo is super fun to me; Randle on the other hand - his defense has really regressed..
DLo, Zo, BI, Kawhi, Bron, Kuz.... man. That’s way too much fun. Basketball heaven
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think it was Scott was for Kobe...

You're right. Scott was for Kobe.
Just wish Jim and Mitch gave DLO a better coach. Sadly, MDA resigned a year before DLO was drafted. Maybe MDA would've had us winning too many games to get the #2 pick in the first place though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 17 of 27
Jump to: