Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell Has Fueled The Nets’ Run

Quote:
FiveThirtyEight’s current NBA predictions give the Brooklyn Nets an 81 percent chance of making the playoffs. That’s way better than the odds before the season began, when our predictions gave Brooklyn only a 34 percent chance of making it past the regular season.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dangelo-russell-has-fueled-the-nets-run/
Lazlow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Enough of this tired myth.

D’lo was a much needed sacrifice for the bigger picture. Don’t be fooled by him chucking up 17 shots for 19 points per game in the Leastern conference as someway to say this org messed up.

Who didn’t know that Randle was talented? We didn’t give up on him and move on too early. Like we didn’t believe in him. This a myth. He WANTED out for several reasons and the lakers obliged.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Nope...
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I still secretly root for them. Thomas Bryant can also be added to the list, considering he's starting center for the Wizards now. I don't see Ian Mahimi or Dwight Howard taking his place when they return. Wish we gave TB a fair shot here.

Lakers have an eye for talent, but they have no concept on how to develop players properly. Different administration, but same old flaws as the last one.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Dude got benched in the 4th tonight for not hustling for rebounds. He is a league average shooter who takes a ton of shots and is trash on D. Not sure what the fascination with him here is. We saw a few years of him, couldn’t win with him.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
Russell was polarizing, and the team clearly had it sights set on Ball. We saw an opportunity to get rid of Mozgov's contract to help clear space for two max slots.

Now in terms of our overall goal of getting two superstars, we failed in this trade. We let go a talented young player and did not get the 2nd superstar (probably Paul George). This is no doubt the first failure of Magic's tenure.

No his first failure was drafting Lonzo Ball
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

I moved on the moment they were traded.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

After nearly 20 years of star free agents passing on the Lakers, the organization's reputation was on the line, and affirming that Lakers are the premiere organization and market in the league became more important than holding onto a solid young core. They had to choose between Randle and Russell developing into very good players, and targeting Lebron James before his prime is over. The latter is the safer path to a championship. Even if the latter doesn't work out for some reason, the reputation is restored after years of subpar management.

That's at least how I rationalize LA getting rid of all that potential.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

^Making the playoffs now that we have LeBron is also paramount to restoring the Lakers' reputation and pulling in free agents. LeBron has a long string of reaching consecutive NBA championship series. Most people figured that string would be broken by joining the Lakers, if only for a year or so, but everyone figured we'd make the playoffs. Tanking is not an option if we want to restore that reputation.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Dude got benched in the 4th tonight for not hustling for rebounds. He is a league average shooter who takes a ton of shots and is trash on D. Not sure what the fascination with him here is. We saw a few years of him, couldn’t win with him.

Not really.

Dlo got subbed out because they have a b2b tonite and their coach essentially gave up the game...

It's why guys like Pinson and Creek got like 20 mins last night.
sonn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Trading Dlo was the dumbest decision in Magic's tenure so far.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

"If you look back you go back..." Mayor Marion Barry (2nd term)
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Not really.

Dlo got subbed out because they have a b2b tonite and their coach essentially gave up the game...

But then there is the fact that when Atkinson was asked about pulling Russell in the 4th he said it was because he allowed an offensive rebound as thought it was a “teachable moment”. But hey, don’t let the truth stand in the way of your narrative.
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

It’s easy to say in hindsight. I don’t think trading Dlo was a BAD decision and can still hopefully pay off, it also gave Lonzo an opportunity to develop. Randle isn’t worth mentioning since he asked to leave...
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Not really.

But then there is the fact that when Atkinson was asked about pulling Russell in the 4th he said it was because he allowed an offensive rebound as thought it was a “teachable moment”. But hey, don’t let the truth stand in the way of your narrative.

You really think he would pull him out because he allowed an offensive rebound for one whole quarter?????

Atkinson does that a lot to DLO, but it's also an excuse to play Levert and Spencer Dinwiddie instead as well, which in this case neither was available to play.....

They threw the white flag in early that game cause it was b2b and half their team is injured....
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Bryant: Yes with hindsight. Lakers were trying to clear cap space before contracts were guaranteed. I would've kept Bryant and waived Zubac if I had to let one go, but Zubac's recent play might make me eat my words.

Lou Williams and David Nwaba: No, these moves helped accomplish goals.

D'Angelo Russell: Yes and No. I always viewed Russell as being the better talent compared to Ingram. I also wish Lakers kept Russell to see how he would've fared as the starting SG next to Ball at least until the trade deadline. They chose to trade Russell to package one of our bad contracts and I wish they would've sent Deng's out instead of Mozgov's. Decision to move Russell over Ingram also understandable when you consider Ingram had an extra year on his rookie contract, which allows Lakers to free up cap space for a longer period of time. So they gave up on the better talent to get out from under a large (but not the largest) contract and free up cap space for a longer period of time.

Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson: No, this was a very good move by the front office that led to Lebron James.

Randle: Again, Yes and No answer from me. Lakers should have kept his rights to get something in return for him if he wasn't willing to accept a 1 year deal. Instead, they let him go for nothing. You should always try to get assets when you have an opportunity.

Lopez: No. Having or not having Lopez wouldn't move the needle.
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Thomas Bryant: Yes with hindsight. Lakers were trying to clear cap space before contracts were guaranteed. I would've kept Bryant and waived Zubac if I had to let one go, but Zubac's recent play might make me eat my words.

D'Angelo Russell: Yes and No. I always viewed Russell as being the better talent compared to Ingram. I also wish Lakers kept Russell to see how he would've fared as the starting SG next to Ball at least until the trade deadline. They chose to trade Russell to package one of our bad contracts and I wish they would've sent Deng's out instead of Mozgov's. Decision to move Russell over Ingram also understandable when you consider Ingram had an extra year on his rookie contract, which allows Lakers to free up cap space for a longer period of time. So they gave up on the better talent to get out from under a large (but not the largest) contract and free up cap space for a longer period of time.

Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson: No, this was a very good move by the front office that led to Lebron James.

Randle: Again, Yes and No answer from me. Lakers should have kept his rights to get something in return for him if he wasn't willing to accept a 1 year deal. Instead, they let him go for nothing. You should always try to get assets when you have an opportunity.

I think this post is pretty spot on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

Being able to play 5-out would help the Lakers offense immensely.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Not really.

You really think he would pull him out because he allowed an offensive rebound for one whole quarter?????

Atkinson does that a lot to DLO, but it's also an excuse to play Levert and Spencer Dinwiddie instead as well, which in this case neither was available to play.....

They threw the white flag in early that game cause it was b2b and half their team is injured....

I’m not telling you what I think, I’m telling you what actually happened and what was said out of Atkinson’s mouth. I’m not making stuff up lol. No need to argue with me, It’s not gonna change what actually occurred in the real world.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject:

DLO had to go after the Nick Young thing. Major FAs would not want to play with him. Randle I hated at the time and still hate with the passion of a thousand suns. They should have signed him to a moderate deal. Rumor is he wanted clarkson money. Get clever with structuring, etc. Then they should have held on to Deng and tried to keep Deng at least through this trade deadline so they could try and trade the contract as well.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

Being able to play 5-out would help the Lakers offense immensely.
I agree it would help the offense but Lopez was a terrible rebounder for the C position and the Defense would have suffered. It's a give and take, which is why I say it wouldn't move the needle much.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
After nearly 20 years of star free agents passing on the Lakers, the organization's reputation was on the line, and affirming that Lakers are the premiere organization and market in the league became more important than holding onto a solid young core. They had to choose between Randle and Russell developing into very good players, and targeting Lebron James before his prime is over. The latter is the safer path to a championship. Even if the latter doesn't work out for some reason, the reputation is restored after years of subpar management.

That's at least how I rationalize LA getting rid of all that potential.

Didnt we win 5 rings in the last 20 years?
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Not really.

I’m not telling you what I think, I’m telling you what actually happened and what was said out of Atkinson’s mouth. I’m not making stuff up lol. No need to argue with me, It’s not gonna change what actually occurred in the real world.

It could be a combination. Its a teachable moment in a game where you rest given the b2b
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

didn't get a chance to read the entire thread but DLo is obviously a polarizing dude
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I'll make my decision after the summer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27
Jump to: