Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

The point is that GS didn’t dump talent a year and a half before they needed cap space. Nor does any other team not named the Lakers.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The point is that GS didn’t dump talent a year and a half before they needed cap space. Nor does any other team not named the Lakers.

No golden state had a star player on a below market contract and a huge spike in the salary cap apples and oranges
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Maybe you can back that up by saying how you are getting rid of mozgov and Deng because if you can’t it wasn’t possible

mozgov 16 million
Deng. 14.354 million stretched
Randle 12.4 cap hold
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69

That’s over 66 million not including cap holds on a 101 million dollar salary cap and Lebron salary is 35,654,150

Your stretched number for Deng wouldn't be the correct number if the Lakers stretched him last year and applied it to the next 5 years, which was an option they had. They decided to only stretch his final year, which is why he is $14m this year.

mozgov 16 million
Deng. 7.4 million stretched
Randle 12.4 cap hold
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69

Even with roster hold, that leaves the Lakers enough room to sign Lebron. If the Lakers decided to stretch Mozgov as well, they would actually have another ~20m to spend as well.

They did stretch Deng last year they just did after September 1 when his salary counted for the following season. If they stretched his final two years in your scenario that would account for the 7.4 million. That gives you roughly 60 million not including cap holds with the cap at 101 million. I’m guessing you would have to fit Lebrons 35.6 plus the remaining cap holds into the space. I’m not seeing the additional 20 million for Mozgov. If you stretched him you are turning his 16 million into 6.4 million (32/5) which gives you about 9.6 million extra not 20.

The problem with this is you have Mozgov and Deng on the books for the next five years at 13.8 million. This automatically takes the second max contract out.

Moz/Deng 13.8
Lebron. 37.4
Russell. 20 mi (cap hold)
Randle 9 (assuming he took the pelicans deal)

That’s 80 million not including Ball, Ingram ,Kuzma ,cap holds etc. The second max is impossible now. So yes in theory it is possible to sign Lebron under that scenario but I all likelihood he’s in a 76ers uniform. If your trying to win a championship are you signing to play with Russell and Randle or Embiid and Simmons.

And as a side note you bashed the front office repeatedly for not waiting to stretch deng until next off season but you now advocate a strategy of stretching both Deng and Mozgov a year early.

As your correctly stated in your comment, the additional cap space we used from the DLO trade is for the 2nd max player. We would have the cap space to sign Lebron without the DLO trade. This is a fact and this has been discussed numerous times in this forum. That additional cap space so far has been used to sign Rondo, KCP, and Beasley which is why this thread title is whether we punt too soon. For example, if we offer DLO and Moz this summer, I think many teams would accept that offer. Bear in mind Mozgov would have only one year left on his contract. The difference is if no max player wants to come in the summer, we just keep DLO and Moz on our roster.

I believe one of the main reason Lebron chose to sign with the Lakers is due to family reason. This is something other teams, for example, Philly, can't offer. Thus I do not think Lebron values this 2nd max space that much. In fact, if we have Russell and Randle on our team, we would have more asset to trade for another star player. We could have Jimmy Butler on our team already.

It was widely reported Lebron was coming a year early. IMO he let the front office know he would come with additional help on the way which was the second max. He has publicly stated that he couldn’t get players to come to Cleveland but Los Angeles shouldn’t be a problem. You can’t recruit a player if you don’t have the cap space to sign him. Russell and Randle weren’t let go because they were bad players but because their cost control benefit was expiring

Yet this front office tried to kill the cap space by trading for AD in the season. As I said, if we still have Russell and Randle on our team, we would have had another max player via trade. Or if we offer Russell and Moz this season, there will be teams accept that offer.

Your statement "You can’t recruit a player if you don’t have the cap space to sign him." is wrong. Remember Golden States traded Bogut and Barnes after KD committed to sign with them. That's what we should have done especially when a #2 pick is involved in the trade.

With the AD trade you would have AD with additional cap space ,golden state didn’t trade Barnes he signed with Dallas as a free agent and golden state had the space to sign Durant. Do you think he would have signed if they only had five or ten million.

You were right about Barnes but no, Golden States didn't have the cap space to sign KD until they traded Bogut to Dallas. And yes I do think Lebron would sign with us without the 2nd max space because he valued family life and his business too. In fact, I think if Magic/Pelinka were a competent group, they should be able to convince Lebron to sign and make trades afterwards.

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors will renounce their rights to Barnes as a restricted free agent with Durant heading to Golden State, meaning there will be no three-day waiting period while his previous team ponders whether to match the offer.
The Warriors need to shed Bogut's $11 million salary to create cap space to sign Durant to a two-year, $54.3 million deal. Sources say the Warriors are inclined to send Bogut, a good friend of Barnes', to a destination he likes.

So the warriors traded bogut and let a young player leave Barnes to sign Durant. Substitute Mozgov and Russell and add star player and what’s the difference
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I guess the clippers trade of Blake Griffin to Detroit doesn’t fall into this category. Trade happened January 2018 capsace July 2019

Last edited by WindyCityLakerFan on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I guess the clippers trade of Blake Griffin to Detroit doesn’t fall into this category

No, because they received Harris who they likely planned on trying to re-sign. Then at the deadline they moved him for cap space, which is how most teams do it.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
Going through the lottery years to effectively just throwing out these hard earned assets has been a bitter pill to swallow.

Magic and Rob have this offseason to try and rectify the damage they've done.

I said this earlier and it is 100% on target.

Its not just the DLO trade... its what Magic did with...

Lou Williams
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez
Ivica Zubac

What the Lakers received in return...talent for talent...in losing these four players...are an absolute travesty...and one that should get any GM, on any team fired.

Magic had a real shot at having LeBron James and Paul George on the team... and blew it.

Does ANYONE think that Jerry West wouldn't have closed the deal on Paul George coming to LA?

Magic is a clown as a GM... and his celebrity is providing cover for an incompetent front office.

I hope I am wrong... but outside of his ego on full display as GM... and his horrendous moves... he has one last chance to save this team and his reputation as a GM.. and that is to snag a top shelf FA this summer.

We are talking Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie.... or even.... Thompson or Butler.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No golden state had a star player on a below market contract and a huge spike in the salary cap apples and oranges

Of course it’s apples to oranges. GS made moves like most NBA teams while the Lakers looked like Vlade was in charge. Only Vlade’s team is improving.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I guess the clippers trade of Blake Griffin to Detroit doesn’t fall into this category

No, because they received Harris who they likely planned on trying to re-sign. Then at the deadline they moved him for cap space, which is how most teams do it.

He was an expiring contract in 2019 and player with value in when they traded for him. It gave them options whether to trade him or resign him. They traded him after he turned down a below market deal. How much u wanna bet he gets more than 4 years 80 million. The lakers fo inherited two stiffs making 34 million who played a combined 52 games so far this season
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors will renounce their rights to Barnes as a restricted free agent with Durant heading to Golden State, meaning there will be no three-day waiting period while his previous team ponders whether to match the offer.
The Warriors need to shed Bogut's $11 million salary to create cap space to sign Durant to a two-year, $54.3 million deal. Sources say the Warriors are inclined to send Bogut, a good friend of Barnes', to a destination he likes.

So the warriors traded bogut and let a young player leave Barnes to sign Durant. Substitute Mozgov and Russell and add star player and what’s the difference

The difference is obvious. The Golden States only let go of a young player after they get a commitment from KD. We lost Dlo for.. who exactly?

Last edited by lakersfan8 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

Pretty much we lost DLO for Byron.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

The difference is obvious. The Golden States only let go of a young player after they get a commitment from KD. We lost Dlo for.. who exactly?

We don’t know yet. We have to wait until after July 1. After that I’ll be critical if the right player is not signed. Right now I’m not going to harp on it everyday on every thread when we know that player can’t be signed until July 1 and this is March 24.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Pretty much we lost DLO for Byron.
That sums it up well.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
Like Michael Caine said in "The Prestige" every magic trick contains the promise. Every high pick player a team gets its a promise. A promise that better days will come. A promise that painfull years were worth something.
A promise that all the time that fans lost to follow a trash team meant something.A promise that last years mistakes wont be repeated.
So when you give away a young player you should be aware that you break
that promise to your fan base, so you do it only if its absolutely necessary.
In the case of Randle, Russell it wasnt. And our FO betrayed his promise.
And they actually tried to exchange 6 painfull years for one year rental not
to mention the 2,3,4, future firsts.

That was a very good movie, and this is a great analogy.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

We don’t know yet. We have to wait until after July 1. After that I’ll be critical if the right player is not signed. Right now I’m not going to harp on it everyday on every thread when we know that player can’t be signed until July 1 and this is March 24.

Signing a max player this summer doesn't change the fact he made the trade 1 or 2 years too early. I would argue that if we are looking to trade Mozgov this summer, we wouldn't even need to offer one of Dlo, Ball or Ingram.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

We moved DLO for the 1-year deals we just signed, essentially.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Going through the lottery years to effectively just throwing out these hard earned assets has been a bitter pill to swallow.

Magic and Rob have this offseason to try and rectify the damage they've done.

I said this earlier and it is 100% on target.

Its not just the DLO trade... its what Magic did with...

Lou Williams
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez
Ivica Zubac

What the Lakers received in return...talent for talent...in losing these four players...are an absolute travesty...and one that should get any GM, on any team fired.

Magic had a real shot at having LeBron James and Paul George on the team... and blew it.

Does ANYONE think that Jerry West wouldn't have closed the deal on Paul George coming to LA?

Magic is a clown as a GM... and his celebrity is providing cover for an incompetent front office.

I hope I am wrong... but outside of his ego on full display as GM... and his horrendous moves... he has one last chance to save this team and his reputation as a GM.. and that is to snag a top shelf FA this summer.

We are talking Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie.... or even.... Thompson or Butler.

I think it's a little unfair Blame Magic for not landing Paul George.

When George made it clear that he wouldn't re-sign with Indiana, the Pacers reacted in a similar fashion as the Pelicans did. Multiple reports were saying the Pacers outright refused to trade PG to the Lakers and showed that attitude by demanding the Lakers #2 pick AND Brandon Ingram.That seems like a great deal now, but keep in mind that there were still questions regarding Paul Georges health and if he'd return to the player he once was.

There was absolutely nothing the Lakers could do to get Paul George in Free Agency. Magic and the organization had been hit with multiple tampering charges at that point and PG refused to give the Lakers a meeting.

Nearly everything that went on with Paul George was out of the Lakers hands.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Signing a max player this summer doesn't change the fact he made the trade 1 or 2 years too early. I would argue that if we are looking to trade Mozgov this summer, we wouldn't even need to offer one of Dlo, Ball or Ingram.

Am I wrong or did the trade create an opening for a second max last summer which was set for PG13 who backed out?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

If a girl likes you before anyone else does... when you are unpopular and in that awkward phase where you are starting to grow into manhood, but are not quite there yet...

And then you flirt back with her and you can tell she wants to go out with you...

But then by some miracle, the homecoming queen decides she wants to go out with you...

So you begin to ignore the first girl who liked you... and start hanging out with the homecoming queen and her friends.

Is it your fault if the first girl no longer wants to go out with you anymore?

Of course it is...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Am I wrong or did the trade create an opening for a second max last summer which was set for PG13 who backed out?

I think you're right. Except on the part about PG13 backing out. He was never in, sadly.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

This simply isn't true. We have the answer as to who we got with the cap space that resulted from the Russell trade. We got KCP and Rondo. That's who we signed with that money. The space was meant for George but they didn't get him. The 1 year contracts they signed allow them space to sign a max guy this summer, but the cost of freeing up a max slot in 2019 rather than 2018 (when they intended to use it) is dramatically different. Each year that passes is another year of Mozgov salary a team has to eat.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Except those deals expire after this year and Russell has a 20 million dollar cap hold

Lebron. 37 million
Russell. 20 million
Deng. 5 million

Now your already at 62 million not including the other players and cap holds with a cap of 109 million. It leaves roughly 47 million left. For those who keep advocating this I’d like to know how your filling out the rest of the roster.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

This simply isn't true. We have the answer as to who we got with the cap space that resulted from the Russell trade. We got KCP and Rondo. That's who we signed with that money. The space was meant for George but they didn't get him. The 1 year contracts they signed allow them space to sign a max guy this summer, but the cost of freeing up a max slot in 2019 rather than 2018 (when they intended to use it) is dramatically different. Each year that passes is another year of Mozgov salary a team has to eat.

We got the space last year but those players expire. If we signed them for multiple years it would eat into next years cap space. Russell would expire also but comes with a 20 million dollar cap hold

Lebron 37 million
Russell 20 million cap hold
Deng. 5 million

62 million. You want Randle also. Second year of his deal puts us around 75 million with the cap at 109.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Maybe you can back that up by saying how you are getting rid of mozgov and Deng because if you can’t it wasn’t possible

mozgov 16 million
Deng. 14.354 million stretched
Randle 12.4 cap hold
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69

That’s over 66 million not including cap holds on a 101 million dollar salary cap and Lebron salary is 35,654,150

Your stretched number for Deng wouldn't be the correct number if the Lakers stretched him last year and applied it to the next 5 years, which was an option they had. They decided to only stretch his final year, which is why he is $14m this year.

mozgov 16 million
Randle 12.4 cap hold
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69

Even with roster hold, that leaves the Lakers enough room to sign Lebron. If the Lakers decided to stretch Mozgov as well, they would actually have another ~20m to spend as well.

They did stretch Deng last year they just did after September 1 when his salary counted for the following season. If they stretched his final two years in your scenario that would account for the 7.4 million. That gives you roughly 60 million not including cap holds with the cap at 101 million. I’m guessing you would have to fit Lebrons 35.6 plus the remaining cap holds into the space. I’m not seeing the additional 20 million for Mozgov. If you stretched him you are turning his 16 million into 6.4 million (32/5) which gives you about 9.6 million extra not 20.

The problem with this is you have Mozgov and Deng on the books for the next five years at 13.8 million. This automatically takes the second max contract out.

Moz/Deng 13.8
Lebron. 37.4
Russell. 20 mi (cap hold)
Randle 9 (assuming he took the pelicans deal)

That’s 80 million not including Ball, Ingram ,Kuzma ,cap holds etc. The second max is impossible now. So yes in theory it is possible to sign Lebron under that scenario but I all likelihood he’s in a 76ers uniform. If your trying to win a championship are you signing to play with Russell and Randle or Embiid and Simmons.

And as a side note you bashed the front office repeatedly for not waiting to stretch deng until next off season but you now advocate a strategy of stretching both Deng and Mozgov a year early.

I was talking about last offseason.

2018 FA - Team with Lebron + youth (with stretch of Moz + Deng)

mozgov 6.4 million stretched
Randle 11m (assuming he signed that deal)
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69m
Lebron. 35.69
Cap space: $14.1 (after cap holds)

2018 FA - Team with Lebron + youth (with stretch of only Deng)

mozgov 16,000,000 million
Randle 11m (assuming he signed that deal)
Russell. 7 million
Ball. 7.4 million
Ingram. 5.75 million
Wagner. 1.75 m
Kuz. 1.69m
Lebron. 35.69
Cap space: $5.4 (after cap holds)

2019 - assuming we found a way to trade Moz, which probably would have been easy if we traded a 1st round pick)

mozgov 0 million
Randle 11.5m
Russell. 21 million (cap hold)
Ball. 8.7 million
Ingram. 7.3 million
Wagner. 2 m
Kuz. 2m
Lebron. 37.4m
Cap - space = $10m (or $4m if we stretched him)

Flexibility to sign a max by renouncing Russell or use the $10m in cap-space and then operate as an over the cap team and make trades.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We got the space last year but those players expire.

I'm aware. The point was that they dumped a young player who is now an All Star to get cap space a year before they needed it and now its going on 2 years. The cost of shedding Mozgov goes down year to year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Except those deals expire after this year and Russell has a 20 million dollar cap hold

Lebron. 37 million
Russell. 20 million
Deng. 5 million

Now your already at 62 million not including the other players and cap holds with a cap of 109 million. It leaves roughly 47 million left. For those who keep advocating this I’d like to know how your filling out the rest of the roster.

Easier than having a $32 mil cap hold instead of DLO’s hold.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27
Jump to: