James Ingram Dead at 66

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: James Ingram Dead at 66

James Ingram was one of my favorite singers as I grew up, and he was a talented songwriter, too. He collaborated with so many legends of the music business both as a songwriter and as a singer. "Just Once", "One Hundred Ways", "Yah Mo B There", "Baby, Come To Me", "Somewhere Out There", and "I Don't Have The Heart" are the songs that I remember the most.

I have not yet seen a cause of death reported. But 66 is so young. RIP, Mr. Ingram.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Brain Cancer

Damn that sucks I just listened to "Just Once" last night too..

I also loved his duets with Patti Austin and Linda Rondstat.

RIP James
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

His pipes were big enough, beautiful enough that Quincy put him after Kenny Rogers and before Tina Turner

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Ingram was part of a great era of R&B vocalists along with greats like Luther Vandross, Freddie Jackson, Jeffrey Osborne, and Peabo Bryson. I enjoyed his music very much as a kid.

Listening to "Just Once" and remembering what a beautiful voice he had.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I was listening to his music so much lately...What a great singer.

Damn. RIP.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Ingram came from a era where groups and artists actually sang. RIP

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yep. He was in that late 70s to 81/2ish era that featured a lot of love songs like Just Once. EZ listening radio era. Lionel said he felt pigeonholed by that stuff due to early MTV and all the station managers who clung to the notion that mainstream audiences couldn't handle songs like Brick House so he had to do songs like Truly and Three Times A Lady until Michael Jackson broke that barrier. Any rate, everyone liked those kinds of songs even if they're embarrassed to admit. Mr. Ingram was a top notch voice. Sad to hear. Always liked Just Once.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yep. He was in that late 70s to 81/2ish era that featured a lot of love songs like Just Once. EZ listening radio era. Lionel said he felt pigeonholed by that stuff due to early MTV and all the station managers who clung to the notion that mainstream audiences couldn't handle songs like Brick House so he had to do songs like Truly and Three Times A Lady until Michael Jackson broke that barrier. Any rate, everyone liked those kinds of songs even if they're embarrassed to admit. Mr. Ingram was a top notch voice. Sad to hear. Always liked Just Once.

Though I like a lot of different genres of music, this is basically my favorite stuff, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I started to listening to KOST when I was in junior high and it just kind of stuck; part of the reason could be that I happen to have a singing voice that lends itself well to most of these types of songs. So you give me some James Ingram (and Luther/Peabo/Osborne/Freddie Jackson, as numero-ocho said), Billy Ocean, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Billy Joel, Gloria Estefan, George Michael, Natalie Cole, Kenny Rogers, Chicago/Peter Cetera, Air Supply, Phil Collins, Anita Baker, Dan Fogelberg, Vanessa Williams, Steve Perry, Eddie Rabbitt, Carly Simon, Toto, Cyndi Lauper, Fleetwood Mac, and, yes, even the ballads of Madonna, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Expose, and Celine Dion (no chance I can sing like that though), and I'm a happy guy. I left out many of my favorites, I'm sure, but I think y'all get the point.

Oh, I also forgot Michael McDonald. So you can imagine that "Yah Mo B There" is close to vocal nirvana for me. Ingram and McDonald were fantastic on duets with female singers, as well as with each other.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Will miss his voice.

I guess cause this is a RIP post, it didn't quite happen from you but I would have thought you would have mentioned the fact that Just Once was part of one the great 80s soundtracks from the "Last American Virgin" movie.

You can't miss it in there.

That song alone makes me remember that movie and ending. Too young to understand the heartbreak in that movie, but still saw it anyway thanks to my older brother.

RIP James Ingram.

Bye.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Will miss his voice.

I guess cause this is a RIP post, it didn't quite happen from you but I would have thought you would have mentioned the fact that Just Once was part of one the great 80s soundtracks from the "Last American Virgin" movie.

That song alone makes me remember that movie and ending. Too young to understand the heartbreak in that movie, but still saw it anyway thanks to my older brother.

Yeah, true. The end credits have Just Once playing. I mentioned that movie somewheres about a week ago. The girl in it was in Better Off Dead. Love that 80s gabbage. Virgin was a remake of some other teen movie from Israel of all places (haven't seen that one), but it oddly enough came out in 82 along with Ridgemont and had similar scenes and content (abortion and what not). I like the ending, it's a hard left turn from the all the prior silliness. It's one of those that either people like or hate.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Though I like a lot of different genres of music, this is basically my favorite stuff, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I started to listening to KOST when I was in junior high and it just kind of stuck; part of the reason could be that I happen to have a singing voice that lends itself well to most of these types of songs. So you give me some James Ingram (and Luther/Peabo/Osborne/Freddie Jackson, as numero-ocho said), Billy Ocean, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Billy Joel, Gloria Estefan, George Michael, Natalie Cole, Kenny Rogers, Chicago/Peter Cetera, Air Supply, Phil Collins, Anita Baker, Dan Fogelberg, Vanessa Williams, Steve Perry, Eddie Rabbitt, Carly Simon, Toto, Cyndi Lauper, Fleetwood Mac, and, yes, even the ballads of Madonna, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Expose, and Celine Dion (no chance I can sing like that though), and I'm a happy guy. I left out many of my favorites, I'm sure, but I think y'all get the point.

Oh, I also forgot Michael McDonald. So you can imagine that "Yah Mo B There" is close to vocal nirvana for me. Ingram and McDonald were fantastic on duets with female singers, as well as with each other.

I like a lot of that minus Air Supply. When it comes to the arts, I think most people have both high-minded likes/tastes and what a lot of crtics consider to be low brow likes/tastes. For example, you can love music from your list and music you're not afraid to brag about like The Beatles or classical, etc. I like that you took that stand. I appreciated the unrestrained creativity of the 80s. I've been a fan of early Van Halen for decades (I'm a glutton for punishment) and believe it or not, Michael McDonald worked on a song of theirs called I'll Wait. That song sounded like it, too. An odd one for them.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Will miss his voice.

Yeah, true. The end credits have Just Once playing. I mentioned that movie somewheres about a week ago. The girl in it was in Better Off Dead. Love that 80s gabbage. Virgin was a remake of some other teen movie from Israel of all places (haven't seen that one), but it oddly enough came out in 82 along with Ridgemont and had similar scenes and content (abortion and what not). I like the ending, it's a hard left turn from the all the prior silliness. It's one of those that either people like or hate.

Ingram's "A Better Way" was in Beverly Hills Cop II.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I like a lot of that minus Air Supply. When it comes to the arts, I think most people have both high-minded likes/tastes and what a lot of crtics consider to be low brow likes/tastes. For example, you can love music from your list and music you're not afraid to brag about like The Beatles or classical, etc. I like that you took that stand. I appreciated the unrestrained creativity of the 80s. I've been a fan of early Van Halen for decades (I'm a glutton for punishment) and believe it or not, Michael McDonald worked on a song of theirs called I'll Wait. That song sounded like it, too. An odd one for them.

I've seen Air Supply live three times LOL. Though each time was before 2000. I'm sure that their singing wouldn't be the same now.

But yeah, I'm a total sucker for the '80's. I should've mentioned Hall & Oates before, as Daryl Hall is an awesome singer; I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago on July 4th weekend, when Hall was 65, and he still sounded fantastic. But it certainly isn't just adult contemporary/ballads from the 1980's that I like. I can get into anything ranging from Oingo Boingo to Guns N' Roses to Prince. Totally wide-ranging for me.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

RIP

Loved his duet with Ronstadt "Somewhere Out There"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: