empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Fox announced season 6 will be the final season of Empire.

Suge Knight gets out of prison....suspends Lucious upside down over the side of the Empire building until Cookie signs over the Empire catalog to Death Row Records.....The Lyon family returns to poverty, but realize they are happier poor than when they were wealthy.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

It makes sense now why they picked up Smollett's option for season 6 instead of just releasing him outright. Articles are saying there no plans to bring him back but I expect he'll be back at some point to bring some closure to the series.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
It makes sense now why they picked up Smollett's option for season 6 instead of just releasing him outright. Articles are saying there no plans to bring him back but I expect he'll be back at some point to bring some closure to the series.

he will be back beyond any unforeseen events between now and then in my opinion. It may not be the first few episodes, but my guess is he is back at least for the home stretch of episodes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Curious as to why Smollett's option was picked up? From what I've read there are no plans to include him in the series. I wonder what the option guarantees include? Are they contractually obligated?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Judge orders records in Smollett court case be unsealed and made public.

LINK

It looks like Smollett and his attorneys press tour proclaiming his innocence after his charges were dropped came back to bite them.

Quote:
Smollett, however, immediately held a press conference and professed his innocence, saying, "I've been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of."

Smollett's attorneys also did multiple national TV interviews characterizing the decision to drop the charges as evidence of his innocence.

The actor's attorneys argued in court on May 16 that the records in the case should remain sealed to maintain Smollett's right to privacy.

"These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply be let alone," Watkins wrote in his ruling, referring to the media blitz Smollett and his attorneys went on in the wake of the charges being dismissed.

"While the court appreciates that the defendant was in the public eye before the events that precipitated this case, it was not necessary for him to address this so publicly and to such an extent," Watkins wrote. "By doing so, the Court cannot credit his privacy interest as good cause to keep the case records sealed."

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

LINK

It looks like Smollett and his attorneys press tour proclaiming his innocence after his charges were dropped came back to bite them.

Quote:
Smollett, however, immediately held a press conference and professed his innocence, saying, "I've been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of."

Smollett's attorneys also did multiple national TV interviews characterizing the decision to drop the charges as evidence of his innocence.

The actor's attorneys argued in court on May 16 that the records in the case should remain sealed to maintain Smollett's right to privacy.

"These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply be let alone," Watkins wrote in his ruling, referring to the media blitz Smollett and his attorneys went on in the wake of the charges being dismissed.

"While the court appreciates that the defendant was in the public eye before the events that precipitated this case, it was not necessary for him to address this so publicly and to such an extent," Watkins wrote. "By doing so, the Court cannot credit his privacy interest as good cause to keep the case records sealed."

This should be interesting. When they say unseal records -- what information exactly would they be unsealing, does anyone know? Like, interview transcripts and stuff like that?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

This should be interesting. When they say unseal records -- what information exactly would they be unsealing, does anyone know? Like, interview transcripts and stuff like that?

that is my understanding...everything from interview transcripts, internal communication, notes, images....anything and everything that was cataloged during the investigation.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject:

Saw Alien: Covenant in full for first time and he was plainly all over the movie and somehow I didn't recognize it was him until I saw his name in the credits. I guess maybe that's why he pulled that stunt (now I know who he is). PS: Covenant was a helluva lot better than Prometheus. Still with the stupid ending, but the CGI was at least tolerable in Cov.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Information starting to be released:

Quote:
A detective wrote in the reports that on “multiple occasions” Smollett appeared to have disguised “illicit activity” in his Venmo activity by describing it as “payments for legitimate expenses.”

For example, in the September 2018 text exchange in which police concluded Smollett was buying drugs [Molly] from one of the brothers, the actor described the purchase in his Venmo payment as “training.”

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Information starting to be released:

Quote:
A detective wrote in the reports that on “multiple occasions” Smollett appeared to have disguised “illicit activity” in his Venmo activity by describing it as “payments for legitimate expenses.”

For example, in the September 2018 text exchange in which police concluded Smollett was buying drugs [Molly] from one of the brothers, the actor described the purchase in his Venmo payment as “training.”

LINK

when I first read this, I thought it meant he literally labeled the payments “payments for legitimate expenses”....which would have been so much better. It is like labeling the shoebox with your drugs, weapon, and cash with "do not look in here".

Honestly this is the issue that comes with all of these records being public....and touches on that thin line of police investigating a crime or going over the line and investigating a person. Even if it just comes with the territory of investigating a crime, not sure its our business if he is buying illegal drugs unless he is being charged with that crime.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Had there been a trial, I'm sure this part would have come out when the $3500 check to the brothers was introduced as evidence as it is relevant to it. It would help the prosecution establish the relationship between Smollett and the Osundairo brothers was more than just a casual trainer/client one and that he'd previously tried to mask "illicit activities" through it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Jussie Smollett Will Not Return to ‘Empire,’ Lee Daniels Says

Quote:
“Jussie [Smollett] will NOT be returning to ‘Empire,'” series co-creator Lee Daniels said Tuesday.

Daniels was responding to a Variety report in which multiple production sources said that “Empire’s” writing staff was breaking ideas for the show’s sixth and final season with the expectation that Smollett would appear in the back half of the 18-episode season.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jussie-smollett-empire-season-6-1203232805/
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

^
Quote:
The same production sources also note tensions were ratcheted up on set between the show’s primarily black cast members, who still believe Smollett is innocent, and the mostly white below-the-line crew, many of whom believe Smollett is guilty.

Racial tension on the set combined with entire cast and crew knowing they're going to be out of a job.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

I don't know it to be true, it's just a thought. Jussie Smollett and Lee Daniels are of the same persuasion. That likeness may be cause for the indecision to keep or let Smollett go. I think there will be appearances, if only cameo, by Smollett before the season finale.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't know it to be true, it's just a thought. Jussie Smollett and Lee Daniels are of the same persuasion. That likeness may be cause for the indecision to keep or let Smollett go. I think there will be appearances, if only cameo, by Smollett before the season finale.

even after Daniels went on the record claiming that Smollett will not be a part of next season? I think that would make him look bad, unless he simply claims he changed his mind.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

even after Daniels went on the record claiming that Smollett will not be a part of next season? I think that would make him look bad, unless he simply claims he changed his mind.

Empire is in the rear view mirror. Daniels has a great career going. Changing his mind won't derail it. He's found his niche. My reason for thinking there will be cameos is their sexual likeness. Kind watches out for kind.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
^
Quote:
The same production sources also note tensions were ratcheted up on set between the show’s primarily black cast members, who still believe Smollett is innocent, and the mostly white below-the-line crew, many of whom believe Smollett is guilty.

Racial tension on the set combined with entire cast and crew knowing they're going to be out of a job.

I don't think anyone in their right mind think he's innocent. Some may be ok with what he did, however.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
^
Quote:

I don't think anyone in their right mind think he's innocent. Some may be ok with what he did, however.

I agree....they may have their reasons for supporting him publicly, and some of them may be very legit and understandable reasons.....but I would be shocked if any of the staff actually believe his story.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
^
Quote:

Dude, there are people who still think OJ is innocent.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Curious as to why Smollett's option was picked up? From what I've read there are no plans to include him in the series. I wonder what the option guarantees include? Are they contractually obligated?

My guess is it was mainly to placate his friends in the cast and crew since some genuinely probably believe in his innocence. Why rock the boat? They still have a show to make.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

LINK

Quote:
CHICAGO — A judge on Friday ruled that a special prosecutor needs to investigate Cook County State's Attorney Kimberly Foxx's handling of the Jussie Smollett case and that "the integrity of our criminal justice system" is at stake.

Quote:
Gloria Schmidt, a lawyer for the brothers, said they're willing to answer any questions from a special prosecutor.

"The special prosecutor would have an opportunity to look at the evidence and effectively do this whole case over again — re-charge him, re-arraign him, reconvene the grand jury," Schmidt said. "It's like we're back to square one."

I hope they don't recommend prosecuting him again. I think he's been punished enough outside of the legal system. This is about getting to the truth about Foxx's handling of the case.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LINK

Quote:
CHICAGO — A judge on Friday ruled that a special prosecutor needs to investigate Cook County State's Attorney Kimberly Foxx's handling of the Jussie Smollett case and that "the integrity of our criminal justice system" is at stake.

Quote:
Gloria Schmidt, a lawyer for the brothers, said they're willing to answer any questions from a special prosecutor.

"The special prosecutor would have an opportunity to look at the evidence and effectively do this whole case over again — re-charge him, re-arraign him, reconvene the grand jury," Schmidt said. "It's like we're back to square one."

I hope they don't recommend prosecuting him again. I think he's been punished enough outside of the legal system. This is about getting to the truth about Foxx's handling of the case.

Key phrase bold green. It's an elected position. Her position's not in jeopardy by the investigation. Could hurt her chances for reelection.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LINK

Quote:

Quote:

I tend to agree with you, but also understand those who wish to make it a matter of principal.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
LINK

Quote:

Quote:

Key phrase bold green. It's an elected position. Her position's not in jeopardy by the investigation. Could hurt her chances for reelection.

I disagree....if they find corruption, her position is definitely in jeopardy. If they can prove corruption on her part, her freedom is in jeopardy. ISmollett has nothing to worry about....unless he was identified as a party to the corruption....as in the corruption involves money, gifts, or favors given by or for Smollett, which I doubt. Beyond his involvement, even if there was some type of mishandling of the case, I think he is in the clear.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Man, this piece of (bleep) managed to squeeze 33 pages out of us...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35
Jump to: