Actor William Hurt dies at 71

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Actor William Hurt dies at 71

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/william-hurt-dead-kiss-of-the-spider-woman-1235203576/

Quote:
William Hurt, Oscar-Winning Actor for ‘Kiss of the Spider Woman,’ Dies at 71

William Hurt, an acclaimed actor best known for his Oscar-winning performance in 1985’s “Kiss of the Spider Woman” and his work in “The Big Chill” and “Body Heat,” died Sunday of natural causes. He was 71 years old.

Hurt was nominated for four Oscars over the course of his long career, scoring two best actor nominations for “Broadcast News” and “Children of a Lesser God” and a supporting actor nod for less than 10 minutes of screen time in “A History of Violence.” He was one of the most heralded performers of the 1980s, becoming something of a cerebral sex symbol and a reluctant, albeit bankable, movie star. Hurt later transitioned into character roles in the 1990s and successfully alternated between big screen projects and television roles, such as his Emmy nominated turn as a whistleblower in “Damages.”

More recently, Hurt became well known to a younger generation of movie lovers with his portrayal of the no-nonesense General Thaddeus Ross in 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk.” He later reprised the role in “Captain America: Civil War” and “Avengers: Infinity War,” “Avengers: Endgame” and “Black Widow.”

After studying at Juillard and appearing on stage, Hurt secured a lead role in “Altered States,” playing a troubled scientist in Ken Russell’s film. The next year he co-starred with Kathleen Turner in “Body Heat,” and followed that with another lead role in “Gorky Park.”

Hurt’s death was confirmed to Variety by his friend, Gerry Byrne.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject:

RIP
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

RIP
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

The quintessential '80s leading man who was always a pleasure to see pop up in supporting roles as he got older. His performances in Altered States, Kiss of the Spider Woman , Broadcast News, and especially Body Heat are all-timers and demonstrate how thoughtful he was in deploying his charisma, beauty, and movie star persona in such subversive, clever ways.

71 is too young, man. May he RIP
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The quintessential '80s leading man who was always a pleasure to see pop up in supporting roles as he got older. His performances in Altered States, Kiss of the Spider Woman , Broadcast News, and especially Body Heat are all-timers and demonstrate how thoughtful he was in deploying his charisma, beauty, and movie star persona in such subversive, clever ways.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

True. Both Hurts gone. John was older, tho.

Looking at his filmography I have yet to see Spider Woman, but I've seen the rest you listed and Children Of A Lesser God, and A History Of Violence, for which he got Oscar noms. Also saw The Big Chill and I Love You To Death, which was a dark comedy (tho I don't recall a lick of that one). And Into The Wild. I'd have to say Body Heat is the one most remember him in. Memorable movie to say the least. People may not remember the plot, but they remember the Kathleen. I like the scene w/ baby-faced Mickey Rourke on how easy it is to F up a crime/murder. Truer words to someone who watches a lot of forensic shows. Metastatic prostate cancer. Harsh enough living with the prostate alone.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Such a great actor’s actor. Loved almost or maybe everything he was in.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was the actor that reminded me a lot of Hurt. Both tapped into a cold alienated sensibility that they imbued many of their characters with, making them simultaneously unlikable (sometimes more subtly than others) and deeply fascinating.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

Marlee Matlin was trending on Twitter this morning and I didn't know why. Ugh.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was the actor that reminded me a lot of Hurt. Both tapped into a cold alienated sensibility that they imbued many of their characters with, making them simultaneously unlikable (sometimes more subtly than others) and deeply fascinating.

There are some LGers who fit that profile.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Marlee Matlin was trending on Twitter this morning and I didn't know why. Ugh.

I saw Children Of A Lesser God on an insomnia lark bout 7/8 yrs ago. It just happened to be starting from the beginning which is the only way I would've gotten around to it or any other movie I've yet to see, especially those that were adult fair when I was a kid. I knew who Marlee was, of course, but wasn't aware that was the most important vehicle towards her notoriety. I generally hate seeing anything of a movie before it's in front of me in full and I'm prepared for the long haul. I had a Foghorn Leghorn colleague yell to someone across the room about the ending of No Country before I saw it (the damn movie was still brand new at the time, to boot) and I was pissed. I was in a Psycho realm in my mind as he kept blabbing. I got up and left quick because of this idiot whose conversational voice was stoopid loud.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I thought he was great in Broadcast News among many other things.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Body Heat and The Big Chill were two of my favorite Bill Hurt performances.

Take care of yourselves, ladies and gentlemen. Life is (too) short.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

There's a line from Almost Famous that I loved. It goes: "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Of course, you have to give Cameron Crowe the credit for the writing, but PSH delivered the line expertly. It's something you'd expect Hurt to say in The Big Chill.

Good pull on the parallel between those two exquisite actors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: