Here is a deal that brokedown (Lakers/Knicks)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Here is a deal that brokedown (Lakers/Knicks)

Knicks Were Unwilling To Give Up Frye In Package For Odom
22nd February, 2006 - 11:55 am
L.A. Times - Lamar Odom's recent slump led to talks with some teams, many contacting the Lakers in hopes of getting the struggling forward for a bargain price.

One of the more compelling deals would have sent Odom to the New York Knicks for sixth-year guard Jamal Crawford and rookies Nate Robinson and Channing Frye, although the Knicks were unwilling to part with Frye to make the trade work, according to numerous sources.

Odom was also linked to a trade with the Orlando Magic for guard Steve Francis in a published report that was emphatically denied by the Lakers. [READ]
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

This deal would be bad IMO. Crawford would be our PG? Then wed have 4 of them. And Frye would take Bynum's and Kwame's developing time.
Point a Minute
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

This would have been a great deal for the Lakers. There is no PG in the Tri. The backcourt would be Kobe, Crawford, Smush, Nate...any combination could be on the court at any time with Sasha doing mop-up. The frontcourt of Mihm/Brown/Bynum @ C, Frye/Cook/Turiaf @ PF, and George/Walton @ SF with Kobe & Crawford spending time there when we go 3 guards.

This is a team that would be more competitive this year and even better next.

Sorry it didn't happen
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

Interesting piece from the article:

Quote:
Lamar Odom's recent slump led to talks with some teams, many contacting the Lakers in hopes of getting the struggling forward for a bargain price.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep22feb22,1,908230.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

I find this piece interesting because there are some on this board who insist that LO should only be traded for HOF'ers or legit All Stars. However, if you believe the article, some GM's apparently only value Odom to the tune of a solid combo guard and a couple of rookies (though one looks to have a solid future).

Now to be sure, I understand that every GM involving themselves in trade discussions would like to maximize what they get while minimizing what they give up.

But this segment of the article seems to suggest, in part, that Odom's recognized value around the league is lower than that of an All Star (let alone a future HOF'er).
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

Quote:
Lamar Odom's recent slump led to talks with some teams, many contacting the Lakers in hopes of getting the struggling forward for a bargain price.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep22feb22,1,908230.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

I find this piece interesting because there are some on this board who insist that LO should only be traded for HOF'ers or legit All Stars. However, if you believe the article, some GM's apparently only value Odom to the tune of a solid combo guard and a couple of rookies (though one looks to have a solid future).

Now to be sure, I understand that every GM involving themselves in trade discussions would like to maximize what they get while minimizing what they give up.

But this segment of the article seems to suggest, in part, that Odom's recognized value around the league is lower than that of an All Star (let alone a future HOF'er).

What thomas thinks is a good trade coupled with the LA Times opinion does not define the reality of the competent GMs in the league
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Here is a deal that brokedown (Lakers/Knicks)

RMurphy_22 wrote:
Knicks Were Unwilling To Give Up Frye In Package For Odom
22nd February, 2006 - 11:55 am
L.A. Times - Lamar Odom's recent slump led to talks with some teams, many contacting the Lakers in hopes of getting the struggling forward for a bargain price.

One of the more compelling deals would have sent Odom to the New York Knicks for sixth-year guard Jamal Crawford and rookies Nate Robinson and Channing Frye, although the Knicks were unwilling to part with Frye to make the trade work, according to numerous sources.

Odom was also linked to a trade with the Orlando Magic for guard Steve Francis in a published report that was emphatically denied by the Lakers. [READ]

Been a lot of noise coming out of the Knicks' camp these last few weeks, hasn't there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

The Knicks will be active before tomorrow's deadline. I'll be curious to see who they get by tomorrow.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Quote:

What thomas thinks is a good trade coupled with the LA Times opinion does not define the reality of the competent GMs in the league

Interesting response.

Do you believe the article's writer is making this up on his own, or do you believe he has access to the thoughts and opinions of Laker officials (who, of course, don't want to be quoted)?

I prefer to believe in the latter, but would not be surprised if the former were true.

Also, do you believe that Lamar Odom (by himself) could fetch us an All-Star caliber player who isn't unhappy in his current situation?

I don't think so.

I think that, by himself, Lamar could only get us another role-player in return.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Quote:

Interesting response.

Do you believe the article's writer is making this up on his own, or do you believe he has access to the thoughts and opinions of Laker officials (who, of course, don't want to be quoted)?

I prefer to believe in the latter, but would not be surprised if the former were true.

Also, do you believe that Lamar Odom (by himself) could fetch us an All-Star caliber player who isn't unhappy in his current situation?

I don't think so.

I think that, by himself, Lamar could only get us another role-player in return.

By definition, when one seeks something for a 'bargain price,' he or she is trying to get something worth more than what he or she is giving up. Therefore, all that the Time's quote is saying is that GMs are looking to capitalize on the Laker's perceived dissatisfaction with Odom's game in order to steal him by offering players that are worth less than he is. In other words, a player that is not as good as him.

The interest in Odom shows that other GMs judge him to be a player of value, more than enough reason to regect their low-ball offers. Keep in mind that they are the ones contacting the Lakers. That means that we have something that they want, and regardless of whether or not we want what we have, we'd be fools to give up a player for less than another team is ultimately willing to give up for him.

Have you ever tried to buy or sell a car? Or bought or sold something at a pawn shop? Played poker? There are similar dynamics at play.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

Different GM's have different levels they value Odom at. It's about the Lakers trying to find the GM that values him the most and has the pieces that we value the most so we can maximize Odom's value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: