problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

you go out and sign LeBron, great, then you have to go all the way in on the plan. meaning you get rid of a player friendly/inexperienced head coach the moment LeBron signed, and you start shopping all of our youngsters for that much needed 2nd star. seems to me Jeanie Buss wants the big name in LeBron but is hesitate to fire her boy toy Luke, and Magic is hesitate to go all in on the player movement during that same summer.

this reminds me of the MDA days with Gasol. you don't hire a run and gun, fast pace coach and still hanging on the slow lumbering Gasol. the Mitch/Jim regime back then had the same issue of not wanting to go all the way in toward one direction.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

You typically can't. Ask any franchise, corporation or entity. It's because there are a lot of voices with their own opinions and politics.

When someone goes "all in", it's because they are just one person. And that's when you can find someone that hits the extremes.

You hire Magic to do a job then you have Jeanie Buss weighing in on whether or not you can fire Luke.

The "problem" you describe isn't confined to the Lakers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you go out and sign LeBron, great, then you have to go all the way in on the plan. meaning you get rid of a player friendly/inexperienced head coach the moment LeBron signed, and you start shopping all of our youngsters for that much needed 2nd star. seems to me Jeanie Buss wants the big name in LeBron but is hesitate to fire her boy toy Luke, and Magic is hesitate to go all in on the player movement during that same summer.

this reminds me of the MDA days with Gasol. you don't hire a run and gun, fast pace coach and still hanging on the slow lumbering Gasol. the Mitch/Jim regime back then had the same issue of not wanting to go all the way in toward one direction.
Not true at all.

You dont fire luke because there is no one else out there to hire. there is no Coach Pop or no Phil that is out there. any coach you get will not have a bunch of championships under his belt. so you might as well stick to one coach for a few years and then make your change if need be once you have your real contender together.

The lakers are going all in on vets and stars. which is why we keep renting vets and putting our kids on the block. Unless our kids show us they are allstars right now and/or superstars. they will remain on said trade block until we get our 2nd star. we have never had a chance to do that in free agency outside of pg13 who never took the meeting. thats on him. not us.

we were never going to gut the team for pg13. he didnt deserve that much, especially since he made it clear he was coming. only he changed his mind again, thats on him. AD being as young as he is and his talent is worth all of our young kids since non of them have YET to prove they are stars RIGHT NOW. When free agency comes and if there is anyone left to be had and we still have cap space we will go for another star vet player.

The intentions were always there to have at minimum 2 superstars surrounded by competent role guys. 2 superstars and a borderline star would be preferable and probably the most likely scenario then fill in a few more role guys.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

splashmtn wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Not true at all.

You dont fire luke because there is no one else out there to hire. there is no Coach Pop or no Phil that is out there. any coach you get will not have a bunch of championships under his belt. so you might as well stick to one coach for a few years and then make your change if need be once you have your real contender together.

The lakers are going all in on vets and stars. which is why we keep renting vets and putting our kids on the block. Unless our kids show us they are allstars right now and/or superstars. they will remain on said trade block until we get our 2nd star. we have never had a chance to do that in free agency outside of pg13 who never took the meeting. thats on him. not us.

we were never going to gut the team for pg13. he didnt deserve that much, especially since he made it clear he was coming. only he changed his mind again, thats on him. AD being as young as he is and his talent is worth all of our young kids since non of them have YET to prove they are stars RIGHT NOW. When free agency comes and if there is anyone left to be had and we still have cap space we will go for another star vet player.

The intentions were always there to have at minimum 2 superstars surrounded by competent role guys. 2 superstars and a borderline star would be preferable and probably the most likely scenario then fill in a few more role guys.

i'd go after Fizdale hard before NY snatched him up. i'd rather take an unknown coach who has a chance to mesh with a LeBron led team than Luke who has no business in the head coaching business, and LeBron don't respect him one bit.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Wrong. It depends on what the rest of the landscape looks like. You don't always shove even when you're holding pocket aces.

If the opportunity to move a young player or multiple, for a 2nd star was there and available at a fair price and we chose not to, then I would agree. I just don't see any evidence of that yet.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

huh the Lakers tried to go all in once Lebron signed. thats why they pushed hard for the AD trade.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

LeBron signed off on Luke publicity right? He said he was a good coach and had the team improving every year he has been there.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

I liked Luke at first, but his lineup decisions are irritating of late.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Going all in as a roster management strategy is overrated, since when you lose you've lost your assets for a long time. I think we are just starting now to recover from the last few rounds of Mitch and Jim's series of failed "all-in" plays: Dwight, Nash, Mike Brown, D'Antoni, Byron Scott.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

Team is fine. It's just the coach is really garbage. Our core of Ingram, Kuz, Ball and Zubac is very formidable but it takes a great development coach to get the most out of our young core and Luke isn't a great development coach.

Luke just benefited from a Warriors team full of veterans who already know their offense and defense assignments inside out. To me, he's just a pure rookie coach in training with no idea how to install good offense and defense schemes.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Looking back Gasol didnt fit, but healthy Nash/KB/Dwight shoulda been like CP3/Harden/Capella. But, many, in the organization, didnt believe in the new school of Bball
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with this ownership/front office is they can never go in all the way toward one direction

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Whether you agree with it or not, it seems like magic has a pretty firm two Superstar strategy. And it certainly looked like he was ready to trade everybody but LeBron to get it, he just couldn't pull the trade off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: