Will Luke be fired?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Luke be fired during the All Star break?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 90 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 131

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Could we hire a coach now if we fire him or do we have to wait until the season is over? I really don’t want any of the staff coaches getting the interim job.

Only one I'd trust is Madsen; he could be a hidden gem after being here all these years

Why? I don’t see that at all. Dude seems totally like a behind the scenes guy.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t trust our FO to make a good hire. Let Luke finish out the season, we mailed it in last offseason.

This is my issue as well. I have no attachment to Luke, but I don't think this FO values enough of the right things to make me think they'll make a hire that substantively addresses the weaknesses we have with Luke.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Not sure why this is all on Luke. Everyone is crying that he has no half court system, well he had one last year didn’t he? Oh and he got 35 wins with a injury prone season.

The front office thought they were super clever and built a team that made no sense both in a vacuum and if you consider the coach and what he’s trying to build. This year Lebron pounds the ball and we have zero shooters and everyone gets injured, somehow more so than last year, and we go from 4th place looking up to 10th looking down. This is on Luke?

The latest trades make no sense to me either. Like some desperation move to get shooters without any other purpose than to squeak into the playoffs. Did we really just sign a aging Lebron and are going to on the fly build a contender around him? Chemistry is vastly underrated. Aging superstars should not be your first piece as a GM, and I thought we understood that until the “trade the Lakers-Bron for AD” saga.

The league rules have made it so your superstar has to be drafted not bought/traded for, yet we still can’t figure out how to work around this. Yes I woke up on wrong side haha
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t trust our FO to make a good hire. Let Luke finish out the season, we mailed it in last offseason.

Why not? The FO you liked hired Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni, Byron Scott & Luke Walton.

Brown and MDA were good hires, as was Phil who you conveniently ignored.

MDA was a terrible hire. He refused to adjust his style to match his personnel until it was too late, and Kobe got hurt as a result.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Yes the roster has construction flaws but theres no reason why this roster cant be performing better. We've got the best player in the world and a roster that has the potential to perform better than what we have currently seen if having been coached by a better coach.

Problem is there aren't a lot of great options out there. Kidd was pretty crappy as a coach, mark Jackson was ok but as soon as he was replaced his team basically won a championship so theres that.

Jay Wright. Otherwise, forget these retread coaches.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

Luke is a bad coach whether the team wins or loses. His coaching has cost the team at least 10 games this year. In fact he cost them about the same number last year. Fire him and make Shaw the coach for the rest of the year.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers giving Lebron and RP too much power by firing Luke?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Yes the roster has construction flaws but theres no reason why this roster cant be performing better. We've got the best player in the world and a roster that has the potential to perform better than what we have currently seen if having been coached by a better coach.

Problem is there aren't a lot of great options out there. Kidd was pretty crappy as a coach, mark Jackson was ok but as soon as he was replaced his team basically won a championship so theres that.

But Hart will be gone by then LOL.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

He shouldn't be fired, but he probably will be (knowing our FO).
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

I would like them to fire Luke now so we can evaluate BShaw as a potential candidate for next season. A 25 game audition in the midst of this turmoil probably isn't a fair test but it's probably a better chance he'll have if Luke is fired in the off-season.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

if yesterday's lost didn't get him fired I think he's probably safe for the year
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Could we hire a coach now if we fire him or do we have to wait until the season is over? I really don’t want any of the staff coaches getting the interim job.

Only one I'd trust is Madsen; he could be a hidden gem after being here all these years

Madsen would be OKAY, but the situation will be worse cause Madsen is more of a developmental coach then a guy who gathers a players respect.

lol Madsen a developmental coach? What could he possibly teach our young players to help develop them? How to cheer from the bench and dance goofy?
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Madsen would be OKAY, but the situation will be worse cause Madsen is more of a developmental coach then a guy who gathers a players respect.

lol Madsen a developmental coach? What could he possibly teach our young players to help develop them? How to cheer from the bench and dance goofy?

Yes, this staff has gotten stale before it was ever fresh!
HC: Riley
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

But Hart will be gone by then LOL.

Hart might be the COACH by then.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

You can root for this to happen. Just know that a top name coach or widely respected hoops technician will not be in line to replace him.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
You can root for this to happen. Just know that a top name coach or widely respected hoops technician will not be in line to replace him.

We don't even need that. Just somebody to craft sensible rotations. Then just give the ball to LeBron and let him go to work.

The problem now is that we have stubborn coaches with mediocre bball IQs playing patty cake with our players minutes and roles, which is probably frustrating as hell for guys like Lebron and Rondo.

It'd be like an AAU coach and his gaggle of friends who used to run the local elementary school's basketball program trying to run an NCAA team.

We just need a coach who will get out of the way and stop pretending they know everything. Next year we can worry about bringing in quality guys.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Luke needs to be fired
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Come over, Spo. Lakers will treat you good
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject:

I feel its coming, but I don't know who we would get that would be an improvement.

Sure hope it is NOT Jason Kidd.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I feel its coming, but I don't know who we would get that would be an improvement.

Laker more likely to let Luke finish the season, blame him for results, fire him and
bring in a new coach for the next season.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Laker more likely to let Luke finish the season, blame him for results, fire him and
bring in a new coach for the next season.

I'm not 100% on whether the tried and true method of kicking one of the assistants upstairs to interim coach just to be able to fire Luke NOW is a something they wanna do. EG: Westhead begets Riley, Rudy begets Hamblen, Pfund begets Magic, Harris begets Rambis, Rambis "sorta" begets Phil (West didn't initially intend on firing Rambis in 99 and he did make it back onto Phil's staff in 02). Maginka quite probably doesn't want to retain anyone from this coaching staff. Magic already said something very drastic had to take place for Luke to get fired in season, but we have yet to discover what that word means to him. Would they fire Luke, bump up Shaw as interim, then fire Shaw in April? It would be unorthodox, but Brawn saying this season is on the ropes may make it necessarily to cut Luke from the picture sooner than later. They could have Luke finish the season, but every party from FO, players, assistant coaches, media, fans, opposing fans would realize that Luke is nothing more than a lame duck.

I'm sure that's been done before, but probably just as many times as coaches have been fired to avoid poisoning the well for the rest of the season that they themselves know is leading to their firing. Luke might start talking about it publicly as the losses pile up. His presence in such a situation would make the players' jobs almost futile. Why would they bust their asses to win under Luke's "gameplan" at that point?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Why? I don’t see that at all. Dude seems totally like a behind the scenes guy.

Exactly. Compared to the other guys, I'll take the complete unknown.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I think it's more likely that the Lakers force him to hire a new staff and give him another year unless they feel the need for a scapegoat during the offseason.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
Luke needs to be fired

The weirdest rumor I’ve heard is that Magic wants Riley back and to bring Spols with him. Riley is part Heat owner I believe, so he’s never going to do that. Jeanie did turn to Riley and West around the same time she brought Magic into the fold, so who knows.

I’m not a Magic hater like the 99% of LG, but I am looking forward to Buss/West in a few years.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
Luke needs to be fired

The weirdest rumor I’ve heard is that Magic wants Riley back and to bring Spols with him. Riley is part Heat owner I believe, so he’s never going to do that. Jeanie did turn to Riley and West around the same time she brought Magic into the fold, so who knows.

I’m not a Magic hater like the 99% of LG, but I am looking forward to Buss/West in a few years.

No one hates Magic... it's more along the lines if you see a good friend walking naked along a deserted highway... you have them committed instead of letting them run your favorite basketball team.

Offering the Godfather offer was the closest thing to a mental break I've ever seen in the sports world.

Don't mean to mock people with real mental health issues... but it was batsh*t crazy to me... and he still hasn't seemed to walk it back at all.

A simple... "all those rumors that were leaked" were false would do wonders in restoring confidence to the fans and his team.

But no... all we've got from him is... "Be professional"

And now they can't even land a free agent off of a buyout.

Who wants to come to this circus where unless you are Emperor LeBron... you are nothing more than the equivalent of an Egyptian slave dragging blocks to build him his pyramid.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: