What do you guys think about Gerald Green?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: What do you guys think about Gerald Green?

he seems like a tremendous prospect who has tracy mcgrady type skill and body. would you like to see the lakers go after him?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

i like my players to have all available appendages.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Hes been seeing a lot of D-League action for the Celts...
BigVeece
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

he's in the D-leauge for a reason this year.. still needs work and I dont think the lakers need to trade for more projects... we have enough..
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Your username explains what the Lakers think of Green.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

outside bynum i don't think any of our projects have the talent and pojectability green has.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Like Bynum, Green needs to work on a lot of skills. Worse for him, because he doesn't have basic guard skills. Hell of an athlete. Doesn't know what to do with it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I think Gerald Green is on the Celtics, and not on the Lakers. That's what I think about him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Gerald Green is on the Celtics and he should be on the Lakers. I've been saying that since the draft, and I will stick by it until we have proof if drafting Bynum instead of Green was a good decision or not. You don't pass up a #1 player for a #20 player in a hs class.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
Yes, Gerald Green is on the Celtics and he should be on the Lakers. I've been saying that since the draft, and I will stick by it until we have proof if drafting Bynum instead of Green was a good decision or not. You don't pass up a #1 player for a #20 player in a hs class.

As of right now, I applaud the Lakers' decision to draft Bynum. Let's check back in 5 years and see if we both feel the way we do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigVeece
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:

green might have been rated higher but overall, bynum has size and a bigger upside cause of that.

young, athletic SG's come a dime a dozen in this league. but you could always use size. especially size with some skill like bynum..

at first I was kind of skeptical of the bynum pick but that was because I had never heard anything about him.. now, I'm actually cool with the pick.. he's showing some promise. lets hope he gets more minutes this second half of the season.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

BigVeece wrote:
LucasWhite wrote:

green might have been rated higher but overall, bynum has size and a bigger upside cause of that.

young, athletic SG's come a dime a dozen in this league. but you could always use size. especially size with some skill like bynum..

at first I was kind of skeptical of the bynum pick but that was because I had never heard anything about him.. now, I'm actually cool with the pick.. he's showing some promise. lets hope he gets more minutes this second half of the season.

I was going to say the same thing about picking size over a SG, but then I knew I would be reminded of the Sam Bowie debacle years ago.

I am beginning to think Bynum at this young stage in his career will be a better athlete and player than Bowie ever was.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

lol dont forget that these are the same celtics that traded joe johnson, for crap about 19 games into his rookie year because apparently the guy couldnt play? Yea these aint your grandaddy's celtics.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

They have a roster full of kids like Green who may or may not pan out. if the Lakers make a trade, it has to be for someone who can help now. I'm not talking about Garnett, etc. I am just talking about a veteran or proven player who can at least help off the bench. Personally, I would be very happy if they got Murray and Evans from Seattle and didn't have to give up Devean George.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

BigVeece wrote:

It is a good point that there are not many dominant centers. However, there are very few athletes like Gerald Green nor people with the potential of Green. I, for one, trust the rankings. I may be wrong on this, as it's quite a stretch right now that either of them turn out to be superstar NBA players considering that they are more underdeveloped that your usual high school to pro stars. Still, I would always go with the #1 player in the class as opposed to someone who hasn't done much on the hs level. It's a better gamble, imo.

Well, just three or four more years of bickering and we may have an answer as to who is better.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

In terms of raw ability, I rate him at 9 1/2 fingers out of 10.
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
BigVeece
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

A great athlete but not necessarily a great talent. He needs a whole lot of work on his handle, his weak frame, basically anything you can think of, he can improve upon it. I think he slipped over concerns about his actual basketball skill set more than anything else. Outside chance he develops into a McGrady-type, but more than likely will end up like a smaller Josh Smith IMO.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Green is one of the top 3 athletes in the league. Think about that. Think, McGrady length. Carter's hops. He's got it. It's like watching James White, and for that athletic upside, it was deemed that he had higher upside.

However, what scouts most likely saw (which made him slip real far) was just how far he had to go skill-wise. Watch the highlights and he dunks and shoot 3's. Watch the SPL. Can't dribble. Can't pass. Can't shoot at NBA level. TO prone and foul prone. What does that say?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but more than likely will end up like a smaller Josh Smith IMO.

Josh Smith showed more, simply because he's taller, with more length. All he can do is finish, but at least showed he can crash the boards and block shots as well. It's like watching a SF with C skill. Doesn't make for a great combination at all.

JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

True, Smith at least brings that to the table. I guess I was looking for a freak athlete to compare him to and he was the first one that came to mind.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

When I first saw Gerald Green, I did think JRich with DB's help. Needed work on his shot and handles, but too good an athlete.

After watching some SPL, it was clear that he needed serious work on fundamentals. No NBA player takes jumpshots fading sideways.

I think more along the lines of a more athletic Gerald Wallace. Great finishing, could be a stud defender and rebounder, but perimeter game is lacking.

lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

He is basically a Von Wafer.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:

^Nope. Wafer isn't quite the athlete. At least a far better shooter, dribbler, passer, and defender.

Don't know why he can't get it all together. He really has some very good talent. Hope he lays it out on the floor.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: