If you could get an all expenses paid trip to any city in Europe, which city would you choose?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: If you could get an all expenses paid trip to any city in Europe, which city would you choose?

Choosing between Rome and France would be VERY tough for me.
Rome has the Vatican and architecture dating back 2000 years and Italian food.
Paris has the Louvre. And France is known for their wine. I guess I'd go Paris. I'm a sucker for the greatest art museum in the world.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Prague or Barcelona

Between Rome and Paris I'd choose Rome. France is beautiful but Paris is a (bleep) hole.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject:

Zagreb, Croatia
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: If you could get an all expensed paid trip to any city in Europe, which city would you choose?

kikanga wrote:
Choosing between Rome and France would be VERY tough for me.
Rome has the Vatican and architecture dating back 2000 years and Italian food.
Paris has the Louvre. And France is known for their wine. I guess I'd go Paris. I'm a sucker for the greatest art museum in the world.

I've been to both cities a couple of times, and each has its own charm and amazing sites. But to me Rome is just incomparable to any other city. If you love history Rome is the city for you. 3 of the best sites are already within a few minutes walk from each other (Colosseum, Palatine Hill and the Forum). The Vatican museum also has some amazing pieces in its collection.
Just don't visit Rome in July or August, the heat is almost unbearable and the tourists can be annoying (like fighting over a selfie spot by the Trevi fountain).
I think hotels are slightly more expensive in Rome, so if it's an all-expense paid vacation that's already an advantage right there.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject:

Absolutely pick Rome. Paris is one of the worst cities I have ever visited. It's hot, dirty, crowded, and full of rude pricks who hate foreigners in general and Americans in particular.

To me, the Lourve was too big and maze-like. Only ten percent of its collections are on display at any given time, though major works like the Mona Lisa and the Venus De Milo always are. I had a better time at the Musee d'Orsay.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject:

Stockholm
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

Whichever is the most expensive to get to, but cheapest to travel around the rest of Europe.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

I’d probably go Paris as it probably has the highest number of mainstream sights to see of any single city.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Monaco

Or somewhere in those beautiful islands of Italy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

If you’re trying to decide, you might also ask people to state whether they have already been to the place they are choosing.

There’s a good chance if I were to get a paid trip to Europe, I’ll use it for a city I’ve yet to visit even if it is not “better” than one I’ve already been to.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Paris is the NYC of Europe. Important and filled with amazing things to do see eat and drink, but also full of itself.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Underrated choice is London. Very expensive and difficult to navigate, but loaded with history (in addition to the local history, the brits brought everything they could haul home with them from their empire), and some of the best Indian food on the planet outside of India (and maybe even including).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Underrated choice is London. Very expensive and difficult to navigate, but loaded with history (in addition to the local history, the brits brought everything they could haul home with them from their empire), and some of the best Indian food on the planet outside of India (and maybe even including).

if I had only one chance to travel to Europe and had doubts I would be able to return.....it would probably be to Paris or London because they are kind of set up for tourists and there is a lot to see and do for anyone. Similar if I was in Europe and had the same deal about visiting America, it would be NYC....not because there are not more beautiful places and sights in America....but if it is a one time thing, it is kind of just the biggest bang for the buck. Now if I planned on traveling a lot, I would definitely open up the list and be selective based on specific things I may be interested in at the time....and be a little more adventurous.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

My friend visited last summer and said Paris is extremely dirty and smelly.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

I was in Paris and Rome in January (first time). I liked both but definitely preferred Rome. The history there (forum/coliseum/vatican/etc.) along with the food was great. I do prefer italian food/wine to french though.

I loved Barcelona though, so during the summer that may be my pick. And Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Stockholm

Stockholm is the best city I have ever been to.

loslakersss wrote:
I was in Paris and Rome in January (first time). I liked both but definitely preferred Rome. The history there (forum/coliseum/vatican/etc.) along with the food was great. I do prefer italian food/wine to french though.

I loved Barcelona though, so during the summer that may be my pick. And Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

Really? I found Florence to be very overrated. What's so great about it other than David?

Omar Little wrote:

Agreed on the Indian food. Have you been here before?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gymkhana-london

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

loslakersss wrote:

Really? I found Florence to be very overrated. What's so great about it other than David?

I loved the old town feel it had to it. A lot of the other touristy cities I went to didn't feel like the preserved as much of what the city used to be as Florence did. Like you had a big mix of historical stuff and modern stuff, where in Florence it felt like it was mostly untouched.

The landscape with the hills and the river was just so pleasant to look at. It's what I was hoping for Paris, that feeling of being in a different era. It's definitely a calm city though, which isn't for everyone, although it does have some nice bars and clubs too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

loslakersss wrote:

I loved the old town feel it had to it. A lot of the other touristy cities I went to didn't feel like the preserved as much of what the city used to be as Florence did. Like you had a big mix of historical stuff and modern stuff, where in Florence it felt like it was mostly untouched.

The landscape with the hills and the river was just so pleasant to look at. It's what I was hoping for Paris, that feeling of being in a different era. It's definitely a calm city though, which isn't for everyone, although it does have some nice bars and clubs too.

I think there's an age and taste issue that isn't a right or wrong. Canes seems to prefer sleek, modern, clean, and with fairly mainstream tourist things. Which is probably appropriate. Whereas you or I might prefer more laid back, historical, provincial even.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I just didn’t think there was that much to do in Florence. I went to the Academia to see David, the Uffizi, climbed the Duomo and the Bell Tower, visited the various basilicas and plazas, and the Bobobli Gardens. I actually though the art in Florence was second rate compared to London, Paris, and Rome even though that’s what it’s supposed to be known for.

I’m also not a fan of Venice. The whole city is a giant tourist trap.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Florence is my #1 favorite city of all-time man, although, I haven't been to Japan yet which from what I have heard, could change that.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

My top 5 in no order:

Munich
Rome
Prague
Barcelona
Istanbul
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Florence is my #1 favorite city of all-time man, although, I haven't been to Japan yet which from what I have heard, could change that.

I heard the same thing about Japan, it's next on my list.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I just didn’t think there was that much to do in Florence. I went to the Academia to see David, the Uffizi, climbed the Duomo and the Bell Tower, visited the various basilicas and plazas, and the Bobobli Gardens. I actually though the art in Florence was second rate compared to London, Paris, and Rome even though that’s what it’s supposed to be known for.

For the art/museums it's definitely more limited than the other cities mentioned since it's pretty much all the same kind where in London or Paris you're getting more art from around the world and different time periods. The modern art in London was great.

I agree regarding Venice and wanted to say thanks for your advice which led to me only spending 6 hours there instead of multiple days; that was a perfect amount of time for me in that city TBH.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

For the art/museums it's definitely more limited than the other cities mentioned since it's pretty much all the same kind where in London or Paris you're getting more art from around the world and different time periods. The modern art in London was great.

I agree regarding Venice and wanted to say thanks for your advice which led to me only spending 6 hours there instead of multiple days; that was a perfect amount of time for me in that city TBH.

How did you end up spending six hours there? Layover on a flight or something?

I really have no idea why so many people list Venice as one of their dream destinations.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I will say Venice is a fantastic city to get "lost" in. You can't really get lost because of the signs everywhere.
But if you do go there (or pretty much any touristy city in Europe). Grab food away from the tourist sites. Walk a mile away. That's what me and a buddy did in Venice. Went to a restaurant where nobody spoke English. Alot of the locals ate there. And we had the best Italian food of our lives.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: