If you could get an all expenses paid trip to any city in Europe, which city would you choose?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I will say Venice is a fantastic city to get "lost" in. You can't really get lost because of the signs everywhere.
But if you do go there (or pretty much any touristy city in Europe). Grab food away from the tourist sites. Walk a mile away. That's what me and a buddy did in Venice. Went to a restaurant where nobody spoke English. Alot of the locals ate there. And we had the best Italian food of our lives.

Could you please PM me the name/location/identifying details, if you remember them? Going there in September (along with Salzburg, Vienna, and Florence - so recommendations for any of those places are equally appreciated).
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I will say Venice is a fantastic city to get "lost" in. You can't really get lost because of the signs everywhere.
But if you do go there (or pretty much any touristy city in Europe). Grab food away from the tourist sites. Walk a mile away. That's what me and a buddy did in Venice. Went to a restaurant where nobody spoke English. Alot of the locals ate there. And we had the best Italian food of our lives.

Could you please PM me the name/location/identifying details, if you remember them? Going there in September (along with Salzburg, Vienna, and Florence - so recommendations for any of those places are equally appreciated).

I went to La Giostra and Zaza when in Florence. I recommend both, great food. I heard good things about La Buchetta as well but it was my last day so I didn't get to try it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I can't find it on tripadvisor. But I'm not surprised. It was a family restaurant. They probably don't have much of an online presence.

I flew into Rome. Spent a week there. Went to Florence for 2 days after a train ride. Then took the train to Venice.
But even if you fly directly to Venice. You'll probably end up taking the train afterward to either get a hotel near the sites or just to visit the sites.
The 2 major sites are the Rialto Bridge (on the Canale Grande). Which is great for shopping.
And Saint Mark's Basilica. The restaurant I went to was walking distance from there.
Use the metro system, which is by boat. To get to St. Mark's Basilica (or Canale Grande). You don't want to walk to the Basilica, it's tiring.

Go North or East of the Basilica. Walk a distance. There will be narrow alley ways. Leading to big courtyards, leading to narrow alleyways, etc.

Don't go to the crappy tourist food spots within eye distance of the Basilica. Look for a place with (1) outdoor seating if the weather/flooding isn't a problem, (2) a menu with no English and a staff with few/no English speakers, and (3) a place with alot of locals. If you end up going to a place where you get antipasto for the first course in a relaxed, fun environment. You hit a good place.

I can't stress this enough. If you enjoy authentic food. Don't go somewhere within eye distance of a tourist spot. No matter what city in Europe you are in. You want to go to places where locals (who work at the tourist spots) eat.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:15 pm; edited 13 times in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Weekend in Amsterdam, what would you do?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
My top 5 in no order:

Munich
Rome
Prague
Barcelona
Istanbul
This is a great list. Not a bad order anyway, either.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I just didn’t think there was that much to do in Florence. I went to the Academia to see David, the Uffizi, climbed the Duomo and the Bell Tower, visited the various basilicas and plazas, and the Bobobli Gardens. I actually though the art in Florence was second rate compared to London, Paris, and Rome even though that’s what it’s supposed to be known for.

I’m also not a fan of Venice. The whole city is a giant tourist trap.

Well you clearly have a very refined taste in art.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I was in Paris and Rome in January (first time). I liked both but definitely preferred Rome. The history there (forum/coliseum/vatican/etc.) along with the food was great. I do prefer italian food/wine to french though.

I loved Barcelona though, so during the summer that may be my pick. And Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

Florence is my #1 favorite city of all-time man, although, I haven't been to Japan yet which from what I have heard, could change that.

Japan is amazing. Spent time on Tokyo, Kyoto and Kobe. We were in Kobe about 3 months after their huge earthquake in '95. That was a trip in itself.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I was in Paris and Rome in January (first time). I liked both but definitely preferred Rome. The history there (forum/coliseum/vatican/etc.) along with the food was great. I do prefer italian food/wine to french though.

I loved Barcelona though, so during the summer that may be my pick. And Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

Florence is my #1 favorite city of all-time man, although, I haven't been to Japan yet which from what I have heard, could change that.

Japan is amazing. Spent time on Tokyo, Kyoto and Kobe. We were in Kobe about 3 months after their huge earthquake in '95. That was a trip in itself.

Nice. Is the food as good as advertised?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I'm the wrong person to ask, because much of the Japanese cuisine isn't my thing. But I had some amazing ramen and tempura, particularly in Kyoto, which is easily one of the most visually stunning cities I have been to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

No love for Austria?

Innsbruck/Salzburg/Vienna would all be great destinations.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I'm the wrong person to ask, because much of the Japanese cuisine isn't my thing. But I had some amazing ramen and tempura, particularly in Kyoto, which is easily one of the most visually stunning cities I have been to.

Real yaki soba is worth the trip all by itself.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Real yaki soba is worth the trip all by itself.

And outside of the culinary endeavours, there’s also that of staying in a traditional ryokan. That’s a must do forbsure. It’s a truly
immersive experience.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House if you can somehow get tickets, canal cruise, walk through the Red Light district.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Japan knocked my (bleep) socks off. I had zero inclination to ever visiting...I had to be convinced. Every place I visited there was majestic, haunting, exciting.

In Kyoto I stayed in a Ryokan that had a legitimate onsen in the back...I could've stayed in there for an entire night but didn't want to burn a night out on the town.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Japan knocked my (bleep) socks off. I had zero inclination to ever visiting...I had to be convinced. Every place I visited there was majestic, haunting, exciting.

In Kyoto I stayed in a Ryokan that had a legitimate onsen in the back...I could've stayed in there for an entire night but didn't want to burn a night out on the town.

Three perfect words that sum up my experience as well.

I would just add that for me, it was an amazing experience as a traveler. Once we reached the more rural areas on the way to Kobe, as a quite tall and distinctively Western white male I found myself being routinely stared at by both adults and children. It was a profoundly humbling experience as I realized that I was actually a rare anomaly rather than the norm I was accostemed to being.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

One of the most underrated countries in Europe imo is Croatia especially Dubrovnik & Split during the warmer months.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
One of the most underrated countries in Europe imo is Croatia especially Dubrovnik & Split during the warmer months.

Some friends and I are considering a trip later this year and one of the places we are considering is Croatia. Dubrovnik and Split look truly beautiful. And there's this national park called Plitvice Lakes that looks like it would be incredible to go to. I have an ex that lives in Zagreb and I've been told that perhaps flying into Budapest, which is apparently a major airport hub in Europe, might be best. Anything else you can advise?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

loslakersss wrote:

Really? I found Florence to be very overrated. What's so great about it other than David?

I loved the old town feel it had to it. A lot of the other touristy cities I went to didn't feel like the preserved as much of what the city used to be as Florence did. Like you had a big mix of historical stuff and modern stuff, where in Florence it felt like it was mostly untouched.

The landscape with the hills and the river was just so pleasant to look at. It's what I was hoping for Paris, that feeling of being in a different era. It's definitely a calm city though, which isn't for everyone, although it does have some nice bars and clubs too.

I think there's an age and taste issue that isn't a right or wrong. Canes seems to prefer sleek, modern, clean, and with fairly mainstream tourist things. Which is probably appropriate. Whereas you or I might prefer more laid back, historical, provincial even.

Agreed. I think it pretty much all comes down to preference and what that person likes to do to find a city that fits that.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:

Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House if you can somehow get tickets, canal cruise, walk through the Red Light district.

nice, gonna hit heineken tour too
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Japan is so unique. Very different, even for asians. Everything is high quality, food, stores, customer service. Even at a sports bar, you look at the direction of the bathroom and voila, there's suddenly a path. Love Japan
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

Just cameback from a weekend trip from Amsterdam, loved it. This city is a liberal euro city, don't know how else to put it. It's clean, people don't care what you do (just don't act a fool) and they're so into hip-hop/carribean music. Everybody has rhythm and the girls are mad tall. Def recommend
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I just didn’t think there was that much to do in Florence. I went to the Academia to see David, the Uffizi, climbed the Duomo and the Bell Tower, visited the various basilicas and plazas, and the Bobobli Gardens. I actually though the art in Florence was second rate compared to London, Paris, and Rome even though that’s what it’s supposed to be known for.

I’m also not a fan of Venice. The whole city is a giant tourist trap.
but shouldnt we all choose venice before it becomes atlantis?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Just cameback from a weekend trip from Amsterdam, loved it. This city is a liberal euro city, don't know how else to put it. It's clean, people don't care what you do (just don't act a fool) and they're so into hip-hop/carribean music. Everybody has rhythm and the girls are mad tall. Def recommend

You flew all the way there for a weekend? Where do you live?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:

bachelor party
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:

bachelor party

Where Did You Guys Hide the Tiger?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: